• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT2| Bellariology, Puellology and Simulacrumology

Status
Not open for further replies.

yami4ct

Gundam AGE - Episode 1-49 (End)

Watched all 49 episodes in a single sitting without eating, drinking, or pooping. I felt a divine calling and just did it, and I'm glad I did. I was clearly too immature and ignorant when this was first released to understand the depth of Hino's genius. I laughed, I cried, and I was deeply moved by the uplifting, satisfying, and ultimately tragic story of three generations of Gundam pilots in this diverse and fascinating setting. The character designs were great and showed true artistic flair, and it has some of the smartest Mobile Suit designs in any Gundam series so far. I take back all the bad things I have ever said about Level5, and to make up for it, I have pre-ordered 50 copies of Yokai Watch 3.

I still will argue Part 2 of that show is salvageable and maybe even worth watching.

The rest? Hahaha. I did dig some of the designs in that show. I love bulky Gundams like the Age-FX.

Watched all 49 episodes in a single sitting without eating, drinking, or pooping. I felt a divine calling and just did it, and I'm glad I did. I was clearly too immature and ignorant when this was first released to understand the depth of Hino's genius. I laughed, I cried, and I was deeply moved by the uplifting, satisfying, and ultimately tragic story of three generations of Gundam pilots in this diverse and fascinating setting. The character designs were great and showed true artistic flair, and it has some of the smartest Mobile Suit designs in any Gundam series so far. I take back all the bad things I have ever said about Level5, and to make up for it, I have pre-ordered 50 copies of Yokai Watch 3.

Oh you poor, poor creature.

EDIT: Whoops, I forgot what day it was for a second.

Ano Natsu de Matteru 5-9

I need more shows where the main couple gets together before the show actually ends, even if it is only a few episodes. Also, I fucking love the ending theme.

Crocodile

So much SAO talk. Good thing a new thread is nearby to purge that filth away

Regarding Trigger shows, I'm more hype for Imashi's show that Kivinzaer (sp?). I still don't really know what that later show is about.

TUSR

Banned
So much SAO talk. Good thing a new thread is nearby to purge that filth away

Regarding Trigger shows, I'm more hype for Imashi's show that Kivinzaer (sp?). I still don't really know what that later show is about.

space patrol luluco

L7jogFP.jpg

My Little Monster Ep 1
Saw some people mention this series so I gave it a shot. Wow so much development for a first episode. I wonder how they are going to continue this without it being stale. The two leads are cute together.

My Little Monster Ep 1
Saw some people mention this series so I gave it a shot. Wow so much development for a first episode. I wonder how they are going to continue this without it being stale. The two leads are cute together.

Unfortunately their relationship sways back and forth in the same spot instead of really going anywhere. First episode had me hopeful as well.

Just T

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders 48

And finished, bravo, the series was a pretty fun watch. Joseph was the best JoJo.

duckroll

In what way?

It's one of those 10 minute short anime on the Ultra Super Anime Time block. Expect it to be probably closer to Inferno Cop and Ninja Slayer, or at best Panty and Stocking if the singular stories were weekly instead of packed together in 30 min blocks.

Thoraxes

It's one of those 10 minute short anime on the Ultra Super Anime Time block. Expect it to be probably closer to Inferno Cop and Ninja Slayer, or at best Panty and Stocking if the singular stories were weekly instead of packed together in 30 min blocks.

Oh, I thought someone that saw their panel at Anime Boston said that they mentioned it wouldn't be like another Inferno Cop/Ninja Slayer in terms of visuals.

Ano Natsu de Matteru 10-12

Normally I don't end up getting too invested in single cour shows, since a lot of other shows of this length don't make good use of their run time and just do the usual anime thing of no progress ever until near the end, but this one really had me hooked from start to finish. The characters all got enough screen time to care about them, actual development with their relationships didn't just get held off until the finale, and the very last scene made it all a satsifying resolution for me. To comment on this:

I liked that show quite a bit.

Kanna tears are delicious

I'll say I did like all of the characters, so Kanna's side of things was kind of sad to see, but I'm definitely a sucker for when the main character ends up with who they want to (usually).

On a side note,
doesn't the MIB existing in this series basically kind of make the whole conflict at the end null? If the point of finding the place in Ichika's memory was to prove there had been aliens there before so she could stay, wouldn't the MIB existing be proof of that since they'd have frequent contact with aliens?

Also, Remon is awesome.

Wanted to watch that Ano Natsu thingy, too, thanks for the reminder.

---

In other news, I just managed the impossible: I was successful in calling my internet provider and asking for an upgrade from 16000/1000mbit up/down to 50000/10000, getting the tarif for new customers (which have far more attractive offers than existing customers), which means I'll only pay 2€ more than I do now.

Background is as follows: when I switched to my new apartment VDSL wasn't quite ready yet and although I originally successfully ordered the 50mbit tarif I got called that only 16mbit (with nearly the same price) were available and I could just upgrade to 50 once it's there. Sounds like I shouldn't be surprised I actually managed to get this then but no one needs a reminder that internet provider customer service is usually garbage and why would they care what one customer rep supposedly told me ~5 months ago. Alas it should've at least cost me a one-time payment of 50€ but I got around even that.

Now, on to conquering the world...and watching more anime. Now (well, in a month) I can stream like 5 shows at once while simultaneously watching Dota 2 on twitch and uploading dank gifs.

qsUTh7k.png

*inbefore the usual internet provider stuff happens and it all goes wrong after all*

edit:
I can see it now. Tomorrow:
"Hello Mr NaDannMaGoGo?"
"Yeh?"
"About yesterday... April Fool's! Hahaha! Suck it! Bye."

Sölf

Is Sword Art Online good? I heard many talking about it together with Attack on Titan and Psycho Pass. (are those good?)

Psycho-Pass is good. Don't believe them. Attack on Titan is also good, but no idea if all the hype was warranted. No idea about SOA.

Mailbox

I think people really need to start learning the difference between hype-justification and actual quality.

A show can be good while not meeting the hype.
People forget that far too easily.

An interesting tweet from the president of P.A. Works:

Rough translation said:
I just left a seminar on overseas promotion. Shirobako was used as an example of the kind of material overseas anime fans don't want to see. The scale of the story was too small. It reminds me of when I was in elementary school and the teacher would call me up to the board to solve math problems as an example of how not to solve them.

Those danged Western anime fans!

:(

Gen 2 is the best zehearto sama and Asemu best and Age2 is best gundam design since Seed.

Everyone and their mother is dressed like Kirito and Asuna at the cons I've been to if that says anything. AoT too. Also these are two examples of shows so mainstream that even my friends that don't watch anime know about them.

I guess there's no way I'm going to be happy about statements in regards to what appeals to the western audience at large. It's not like there isn't also a lot of crap appeals to the Japanese audiences, true, but the likes of Shirobako have the chance of widespread appeal whereas everyone's dressed up as god damn Tokyo Ghoul characters in the west.

But, plenty people who did watch Shirobako also ended up enjoying it a lot. Who knows, maybe with maturing audiences and whatnot there'll be a large enough shift in the next decade or so where these kind of shows have their audience even here.

Oh yeah I totally forgot Tokyo Ghoul. See that one, just like Psycho Pass, had a great first season in my opinion. It was when they began changing things in the second one that it all went down the drain. Hopefully they remain faithful to the original works in RE, from what I read, that one would hype as heck.

As for your second point, I loved Shirobako but I realize that the Western appeal is simply not there. We westerners want action, not cute, day-to-day stuff. Although I guess those interested in the industry probably did or will give it a watch, just to see what things are like in the anime industry. But again, why would the average anime viewer care about that.

Narag

But, plenty people who did watch Shirobako also ended up enjoying it a lot. Who knows, maybe with maturing audiences and whatnot there'll be a large enough shift in the next decade or so where these kind of shows have their audience even here.

I think it's more likely western fans "grow" out of the hobby and are supplanted by a new round of edgy kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom