• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT2| Bellariology, Puellology and Simulacrumology

Status
Not open for further replies.

zulux21

I just ordered the first book, and I'm currently watching the series so I should be able to give a good opinion in a while.

I am reading Legend of the Galactic Heroes Vol. 1 at the moment, it's pretty good and has been living up to the hype so far. Much more serious fare and well written too. Translation is quite good as well, flows nicely.

Really? I find the sentence-structure strange/clumsy (and their length to short), not flowing well.

I actually looked this thread up to ask, as surely some people here have read the original,
if that is an effect of directly translating japanese text-structure, or if it's because of the original writers writingstyle,
because in comparision, afair, Guin Saga was much nicer languagewise with a good flow (at least the english translation).

there is a discussion in the light novel thread as well.

That Publisher's Weekly review was pretty rough, but it definitely sounds like the reviewer just didn't dig the source material. I'll probably wait and see what the general consensus on the translation quality is.

That review seemed to me like the person was ragging on a 35 year old sci fi novel for being old sci fi, but I can't really judge until I get my hands on it myself

zulux21

I didn't know we even had a LN thread. I'll go check it out.

the quotes should take you right there.

anyways

jojo 9

gotta admit after the setting up for a new arc from the end of 8 and start of 9 I did not expect the third arc to last a mere 1 episode and wrap up pretty much definitively lol.

anyways still am finding this to be a fun watch. I'm curious where it's gonna go from now, I imagine Dio will somehow show up again though :p

yami4ct

That review seemed to me like the person was ragging on a 35 year old sci fi novel for being old sci fi, but I can't really judge until I get my hands on it myself

That's what I've gotten out of it. There's bound to be some issues with the material sheerly due to age, and it seemed like it really bugged the reviewer. The one thing that stood out are the comments they made on the translation quality. Seems echoed by at least one person in the LN thread as well. It's only $11, so I'll probably bite. The preview seemed perfectly readable, and any weirdness seems more to due with the original writing style and less a wonky translation.

I caught the first ten minutes of Date A Live: Mayuri Judgment.

I didn't think it was possible for this series to get any worse. Maybe I'll keep going but blech

That Kurumi OVA from like a year ago was pretty great though.

JCG

I won't be receiving my own copy of the LOGH novel too quickly, but even if the original prose happens to be too dry or the translation is too literal, from my point of view this is still a release worth supporting just because of what it represents.

Given how strong the anime version was in terms of writing, I'd really tend to doubt the original books are significantly inferior.

Which is why I'll do my best to buy all the volumes. Admittedly, not everyone can -or should- make similar commitments.

Jarmel

Banned
So is there a detailed plot summary somewhere for Fafner:Heaven and Earth? I was following it up until 2/3rds in and then it completely lost me with the Mir stuff.

yami4ct

I won't be receiving my own copy of the LOGH novel too quickly, but even if the original prose happens to be too dry or the translation is too literal, from my point of view this is still a release worth supporting just because of what it represents.

Given how strong the anime version was in terms of writing, I'd really tend to doubt the original books are significantly inferior.

Which is why I'll do my best to buy all the volumes. Admittedly, not everyone can -or should- make similar commitments.

I'm really curious to finally check out LoGH, I really don't have another 100 episode+ anime in me right now and I need more night reading. This seems like a perfect opportunity. I'll definitely give Vol 1 a go at least, and if that doesn't do it for me I'll wait for the Production IG remake or maybe go with the Sentai releases. It's only $11, so it's not like it's a big risk.

The preview definitely assuaged my fears over the translation. I've also made it through Part 5 Duwang JoJo, so at this point I'm probably immune to wonky translations.

I caught the first ten minutes of Date A Live: Mayuri Judgment.

I didn't think it was possible for this series to get any worse. Maybe I'll keep going but blech

That Kurumi OVA from like a year ago was pretty great though.

Date A Live was never high art, or even very good, but I'm curious as to what it did to sink to a new low.

Is it just boring?

zulux21

jojo 10

hehe it's like Dio and Jojo had a kid. I'm liking the new set up especially with a more flawed main character as it makes him far less predictable. I figure this new set up will last through the rest of the series since as far as I know the next jojo series is part 3. Either way I feel like this arc is going to do a lot better with the characters. not so plain white and black as the first arc which is something I typically dislike as gray is the way most characters should be.

I am curious how well this series follows the manga now, glancing at the manga stats I see part 1 was 44 chapters, which if it adapted most of it it would make sense why some parts felt really rushed, but also glancing at the ratings for part 2 compared to part 1 I can likely see why they rushed to part 2 (I didn't look up any spoilers beyond number of chapters as I was curious about the first part)

either way I approve of this new arc so far.

Squishy3

jojo 10

hehe it's like Dio and Jojo had a kid. I'm liking the new set up especially with a more flawed main character as it makes him far less predictable. I figure this new set up will last through the rest of the series since as far as I know the next jojo series is part 3. Either way I feel like this arc is going to do a lot better with the characters. not so plain white and black as the first arc which is something I typically dislike as gray is the way most characters should be.

I am curious how well this series follows the manga now, glancing at the manga stats I see part 1 was 44 chapters, which if it adapted most of it it would make sense why some parts felt really rushed, but also glancing at the ratings for part 2 compared to part 1 I can likely see why they rushed to part 2 (I didn't look up any spoilers beyond number of chapters as I was curious about the first part)

They didn't skip much in Part 1, there's some more Erina/Jonathan bonding scenes and a fight against the Chinese vampire that got cut out. That's about it.

yami4ct

jojo 10

JoJo Part 1 and Part 2 had some wonky pacing in the manga. Araki didn't seem to fully mature as a writer and understand good pacing until Part 4, and he occasionally still loses the thread.

Part 1 and 2 have some weirdly fast pacing in places, where part 3 drags and could've really used some trimming in the adaptation to fix it up.

Sölf

jojo 10

Prepare for the (so far) best JoJo. And not only because he is voiced by Sugita.

zulux21

JoJo Part 1 and Part 2 had some wonky pacing in the manga. Araki didn't seem to fully mature as a writer and understand good pacing until Part 4, and he occasionally still loses the thread.

Part 1 and 2 have some weirdly fast pacing in places, where part 3 drags and could've really used some trimming in the adaptation to fix it up.

ah, I figured that was a possibility as well as this feels like a series that has a decent budget.

Sölf;197855203 said:
Prepare for the (so far) best JoJo. And not only because he is voiced by Sugita.

I see :p

jgminto

Rakugo 9
Absolutely impeccable direction and framing, I'd have gone on a screen capture frenzy if I wasn't limited to mobile.

Date A Live was never high art, or even very good, but I'm curious as to what it did to sink to a new low.

Is it just boring?

the first ten minutes told me exactly what i was in for.

new haremette
terrible idoru singing
pool scene
spherical boobs
"these thirsty girls will destroy the world"

I was out after that.

Like, it was designed as the purest otaku bait. but it doesnt get why people like all this stuff. it's like rated r movies after deadpool.

So is there a detailed plot summary somewhere for Fafner:Heaven and Earth? I was following it up until 2/3rds in and then it completely lost me with the Mir stuff.

What didn't you get? I thought the Mir and Festum stuff was a lot more straightforward in H&E compared to DA.

Mir was going through rebirth after the ending of DA, but got nuked by the Neo-UN. Because Soushi taught the Festum pain, it hurt too much and didn't want to be reborn. Instead, it creates a individualistic Festum, Kurusu Misao, to threaten the island into helping them pacify the world. Fights happen. Kurusu just wants to admire the sky and doesn't want to fight, but can't deny the hivemind. Some more fights. Soushi sends a message that the first natural-born child on their island should be able to communicate directly with the Festum. Various individual character subplots involving the 2nd Generation of pilots happening concurrently. Koyo comes back as a Fafner core and disappears. Final fight, child is able to communicate with the Festum to stop fighting, and Kazuki convinces Kurusu to tell the hivemind he doesn't want to fight either.

Then the Neo-UN show up to nuke the island and the massive gathering of Festum. Kurusu and some Festum sacrifice themselves to block the nuke. Cue some sky shots. Some understanding later, Kurusu dies and chooses to be reborn along with the Mir. Heals Kazuki's eyes and returns Soushi. Cue ending.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
So I have to watch the first four episodes of Sword Art Online (and Serial Experiments Lain) for University.
Education is dead.

BGBW needs to remove Grimgar and put in Konosuba!
Well I could certainly do that since that would require no shuffling at all.

Thoraxes

Etotama blurays complete! I will keep on saving anime.

Also I think this card may have really been signed by Yumiri Hanamori, cause the signature is written differently than the one my friend got. Kinda cool if it really is that!

2016-03-0802.12.49kyuri.jpg

Mailbox

the first ten minutes told me exactly what i was in for.

new haremette
terrible idoru singing
pool scene
spherical boobs
"these thirsty girls will destroy the world"

I was out after that.

Like, it was designed as the purest otaku bait. but it doesnt get why people like all this stuff. it's like rated r movies after deadpool.

I'll have to watch it to see how much of a let down it is, but thats a shame.

I really like the first season (its a guilty pleasure of mine), but season 2 was a huge letdown :(

sad to hear the movie doesn't make up for it :/

zulux21

jojo 11-13

yup this part is definitely going much better even jojo brings into question of who is really evil. don't have much in the way of knowledge about the pillar men, but he was much better done than Dio. Given the timing of this publication vs Parasyte I wonder if Hitoshi Iwaki was inspired by the pillar man.

either way it's clear where the next few eps should be going (training and learning more about pillar men) but for now I should call it a night as if I don't head to bed soon my wife's alarms will go off before I can sleep keeping me up for extra time :p

duckroll

Shingeki no Bahamut: Manaria Friends delayed.
http://manaria.jp/news/

And go check the staff/cast page...wait, the staff of this show run away or something? all gone?
http://manaria.jp/staff_cast/

Holy crap. They delayed the broadcast indefinitely, cancelled the prescreening event, and wiped the staff page? Sounds like Cygames wasn't satisfied with what they got and might be scrapping it and handing it to another studio? Lol.

Holy crap. They delayed the broadcast indefinitely, cancelled the prescreening event, and wiped the staff page? Sounds like Cygames wasn't satisfied with what they got and might be scrapping it and handing it to another studio? Lol.

Wow, that's crazy. I've never heard of an anime getting scrapped like this so close to its scheduled airing. I really want to know what happened.

Cornbread78

When does the Spring season "officially " start?

I'm pretty sure all the new shows start airing the first week in April. The earliest I see is 4/1 with Mayoiga and the latest start being Magi on 4/15 or Big Order on 4/16. We'll see if those dates hold up.

Qurupeke

April 1 is when the first spring shows start (Mayoiga and Ultra Super Anime Time).

I'm pretty sure all the new shows start airing the first week in April. The earliest I see is 4/1 with Mayoiga and the latest start being Magi on 4/15 or Big Order on 4/16. We'll see if those dates hold up.
Hmm, good enough, thanks. I had the misconception it would start a bit earlier, but it didn't make sense.

JulianImp

When winter is giving us 10/10 Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu? I don't think so.

This. Rakugo definitely is one of the best anime series I've seen in quite a while.

On top of that, Erased's decent, KonoSuba's fun and Gyaruko works well as a short show.

Edit: Since there haven't been any new posts yet:

Cross Ange #14
...And then the Earth exploded and everyone died. It was fun to see a computer and rescue robot was supposedly still up and running hundreds of years after civilization had been wiped off of the face of the Earth.

The characters even hang a lampshade on the fact that they happen to sumble across a perfectly well-preserved hotel that only needed power to operate (and that clean water comes from where, again?). Rito says he'll sleep on the hall when it's clear there's more than a single room available (even Vivian got her own room!), but then they praise each other and Ange decides to strip and go "I'm yours" mode because whatever. Finally, the party's crashed by girls like the ones that Ange had fought an episode ago, so I guess we'll go full-on exposition mode on the amazoness' motives next episode. Yawn.

Guess I'll have to endure a lump of mediocrity until the show decides to get to the next little sister whipping scene.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Man this was one of the worst seasons ever. Winter please die.

There has been good stuff as there has been every season but Winter is traditionally the "weakest" of said seasons. Anyway, Spring is coming and this looks to be a most stacked season.

Sölf

Seems Rakugo will be one of those shows I need to watch after the season ends and then I am probably never going to that, like with Rokka or Nanana's Hidden Treasure.

Thoraxes

Compared to last year's winter having Yurikuma, Koufuku, Jojo, Shirobako, Dog Days S3, Death Parade, Cross Ange, AssClass, Junketsu no Maria, and G-Reco... of course any winter that follows that would be a big disappointment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom