• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT2| Bellariology, Puellology and Simulacrumology

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just T

Dimension W: 9

Interesting episode, got another look into some backstories and seems like the main villain has appeared.
Also, Mira and Miyabi having a connection isn't surprising, figured the body was for Miyabi but I didn't think other copies were made too. The main thing I was also thinking was that Mira's head is Miyabi's head altered plus lack of memories but I suppose it really was lost. Regardless of that last bit, it's not surprising how coldly Kyouma can act towards Mira.

Cornbread78

I agree, this has been one of the worst seasons ever... for my health.

ab5kGlk.jpg
or
DLTwDh1.jpg

Pick one, we'll pick up the tab for ya buddy..

Love Stage Overall Thoughts
This story starts at January, as I was using facebook as usual. So of course, when you have a group full of f***ing weebs, you tend to find yourself looking at anime gifs most of the time.

"Wait a minute, what does this have to do with love stage?"

Well, one way or another you would find this particular gif, and in the middle of a drought season, "well, f*** it i guess".

"So was it gay?"

Totally. even the butler character and the older brother had a relationship. There was more than enough gayness that this simplifies it.

"Sounds bad."

Yeah, until you realize it's actually funny and have its own genuine moments. It a romcom, but a good one at least. Its not the best, but at least its entertaining.

"So what does it means?"

Well, I recommend you check this out if you want to. It's BL, so if you don't like that kind of material, carry on. But if you are willing to stick around (heh), then give love stage a try.

pbayne

(snip)

Well, I recommend you check this out if you want to. It's BL, so if you don't like that kind of material, carry on. But if you are willing to stick around (heh), then give love stage a try.

Yeah its a lot of fun and they really nailed the character VAs for it imo.

Fuck JC Staff though. You'd be hard pressed to find a more "we don't really care about this show" production.

This story starts at January, as I was using facebook as usual. So of course, when you have a group full of f***ing weebs, you tend to find yourself looking at anime gifs most of the time.

"Wait a minute, what does this have to do with love stage?"

Well, one way or another you would find this particular gif, and in the middle of a drought season, "well, f*** it i guess".

"So was it gay?"

Totally. even the butler character and the older brother had a relationship. There was more than enough gayness that this simplifies it.

"Sounds bad."

Yeah, until you realize it's actually funny and have its own genuine moments. It a romcom, but a good one at least. Its not the best, but at least its entertaining.

"So what does it means?"

I hope you give Super Lovers a try and Sekaiichi Hatsukoi

blurr

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu 09

What a beautiful episode. Evoking imagery, great narrative and soothing music. I really felt that the character postures and expressions were particularly impressive in this episode.

I really have to look up the composer for the show.

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu 09

What a beautiful episode. Evoking imagery, great narrative and soothing music. I really felt that the character postures and expressions were particularly impressive in this episode.

Indeed, the character art was really good this episode.

I really have to look up the composer for the show.

The composer is Kana Shibue, a jazz composer. This is her first anime work; she's done some work for live-action TV and movies as well as radio.

Joe Molotov

Haruchika 1 - 3

Why did they create this elaborate contest just so they could tell the dude that his parents loved him? How did they even know about the suitcase? Why can no one in this show just write "I love you" on a piece of paper without it being some bullshit cipher? Does Spider-Man 2099 in China mean "Spider-Man Loves Your Forever"? I don't understand any of this.

Russ T

Banned
Not really the movie isn't particularly hilarious. The sloth stuff is probably the highlight but there's a few clever jokes here and there. There's commentary on racism. I'd argue the movie has more heart than comedy

Ah, fair enough. Well, I love heart, too. :D I'll still see it... some day. Anyone in Dallas want a Zootopia movie date??

On a more serious note, I'm lookin' for recommendations for good horror anime. I've seen Another and really liked it. I... don't think I've actually seen any other anime I'd describe as horror. Well, I maybe have, but nothing that really stuck with me.

On a more serious note, I'm lookin' for recommendations for good horror anime. I've seen Another and really liked it. I... don't think I've actually seen any other anime I'd describe as horror. Well, I maybe have, but nothing that really stuck with me.

Another is more of a black "horror" comedy; if you like that sort of thing, Blood-C is the same but with better production values. As far as actual horror anime, by which I mean anime that creates a sustained psychological atmosphere of unease, I would recommend the following:

Asura
Boogiepop Phantom
Flowers of Evil
Garo the Animation (at least in parts)
Kagewani
Magnetic Rose (from Memories)
Mononoke + Bakeneko arc of Ayakashi
Mouryou no Hako (mixed with mystery)
Mushishi (some episodes veer towards this)
Perfect Blue
Serial Experiments Lain
Vampire Princess Miyu TV
Wasurenagumo

Cornbread78

Can I just reiterate how many damn shows are scheduled to air in 3/4 weeks from now!!!!!! This is insane...

With that being said, I'm putting together a " Spring Anime Preview Thread" for the OT section as has been asked of me/us in the in the individual OT threads a lot over the past year. I started doing some of it, but it is collectively a LOT of work and I need to do my license renewal education/testing the rest of the week; ya know, that thing I call my career is kind of important and Friday is my renewal date, lol... I'm hoping to finish in the next couple days, but... I could use a hand, pretty please?

It's actually, really easy work, but can you guys help fill in the
information like listed below for the shows without information below and PM me with it I'll stick with just 25 shows for now, but I could use a hand just organizing the information..... We can also pass the show and descriptions to BGBW so he can begin organizing the Spring OT at the same time... Pretty please?

Here is what I have so far :

Bungou Stray Dogs:
Studio: Bones
Episodes: 12
Airs: April 7th
Genres: Mystery, Seinen, Supernatural
Rating: R - 17+

Synopsis:
Nakajima Atsushi was kicked out of his orphanage, and now he has no place to go and no food. While he is standing by a river, on the brink of starvation, he rescues a man whimsically attempting suicide. That man is Dazai Osamu, and he and his partner Kunikida are members of a very special detective agency. They have supernatural powers and deal with cases that are too dangerous for the police or the military. They're tracking down a tiger that has appeared in the area recently, around the time Atsushi came to the area. The tiger seems to have a connection to Atsushi, and by the time the case is solved, it is clear that Atsushi's future will involve much more of Dazai and the rest of the detectives!

PVs:

1: https://youtu.be/4VBmThJ3AZM
2: https://youtu.be/GGsohezPRXU

Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress
(Koutetsujou no Kabaneri)
Studio: Wit
Episodes: ??
Airs: April 7th
Genres: Mystery, Seinen, Supernatural
Source: Original
Rating: R - 17+ (violence & profanity)

Synopsis:
As the world is in the middle of an industrial revolution, a monster appears that cannot be defeated unless its heart, which is protected by a layer of iron, is pierced. By infecting humans with its bite, the monster can create aggressive and undead creatures known as Kabane. On the island Hinomoto, located in the far east, people have built stations to shelter themselves from these creatures. People access the station, as well as transport wares between them, with the help of a locomotive running on steam, called Hayajiro. Ikoma, a boy who lives in the Aragane station and helps to build Hayajiro, creates his own weapon called Tsuranukizutsu in order to defeat the creatures. One day, as he waits for an opportunity to use his weapon, he meets a girl named Mumei, who is excused from the mandatory Kabane inspection. During the night, Ikuma meets Mumei again as he sees Hayajiro going out of control. The staff on the locomotive has turned into the creatures. The station, now under attack by Kabane, is the opportunity Ikoma has been looking for.

*Special Note, Made by the Attack on Titan team

PVs:

My Hero Academia
(Boku no Hero Academia)
Studio: Bones
Airs: April 3rd
Genres: Action, Adventure, Comedy, Shounen, Supernatural
Source: Manga
Rating: ??
NeoGAF OT:

Synopsis:
What's a hero? For Izuku Midoriya, the answer to that question has always been simple: "Everything I want to be!" And who is the ultimate hero? Well, the legendary All Might, of course. All Might is the number one ranked hero and also the "Symbol of Peace" in the world. Not in his wildest dreams could Izuku have imagined that he would soon cross paths with his childhood hero...
In Boku no Hero Academia, status is governed by "Quirks"—unique superpowers which develop in childhood. But, unfortunately, hero otaku Midoriya "Deku" Izuku never had a Quirk. That is, until he met All Might, the greatest hero of all time.
Izuku's transformation from dreamer to superhero begins at Yuuei Academy, the top-ranked hero-training high school in Japan. Izuku is on cloud nine when he's accepted to this prestigious academy, especially when he finds out that All Might is one of the teachers. What surprises does this mighty academy offer? And will Izuku be able to keep up with his elite classmates?

PVs:

Magi: Adventure of Sinbad
(Magi: Sinbad no Bouken)
Studio: Lay-duce
Air: Apr 15, 2016
Genres: Action, Adventure, Fantasy, Magic, Shounen
Rating: ??

Synopsis:
Spin-off from: Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic
It tells the story of Sinbad's early life, when he captured two of the dungeons.

PVs:

Mayoiga
Studio: Diomedea
Airs: Friday, April 1st
Genres: Drama, Mystery
Source: Original
Rating: R - 17+ (violence & profanity)
NeoGAF OT: Will be up by posted

Synopsis:
A shady bus tour of young men and women are headed to an elusive village called Nanakimura. A destination where people can partake in an utopian existence, free of the world's obstacles... or so goes the rumor.
Heading deep into the mountains, the bus is carrying 30 different individuals, each harboring their own expectations and troubled hearts...
What they had arrived to was an uninhabited village with lingering, faint scents of life and it was falling apart.
Just what is the secret of Nanakimura?

PVs:

Returning Shows:

Ushio to Tora 2nd Season
Studio: MAPPA
Episodes: 13
Airs: April, ??
Genres: Action, Adventure, Comedy, Demons, Shounen, Supernatural
Rating: PG-13 - Teens 13 or older

Synopsis:
Ushio thinks that his father's talk of an ancient ancestor impaling a demon on a temple altar stone with the legendary Beast Spear is nuts, but when he finds the monster in his own basement, Ushio has to take another look at the family legend! To save his friends and family from the invading spirits, Ushio is forced to release Tora from his captivity. But will the creature prove to be worse than the curse?

The Asterisk War: The Academy City on the Water 2nd Season:
(Gakusen Toshi Asterisk 2nd Season)
Airs: April, ??
Episodes: 12
Studio: A-1 Pictures
Genres: Action, Comedy, Ecchi, Fantasy, Harem, Romance, School, Sci-Fi, Supernatural
Source: Light Novel
Rating: (S1 was: PG 13+)

Synopsis:
Long, long ago, an epic catastrophe, known as Invertia, caused a complete change in the world's power balance. In the years following this disaster, a group known as the Integrated Enterprise Foundation rose to power. In addition to this massive change, a new breed of humans born with amazing physical skills known as Genestella also emerged and joined the ranks of humanity.
Gakusen Toshi Asterisk follows the story of Ayato Amagiri, a student who has just transferred into one of the six most elite schools for Genestella students in the world—Seidoukan Academy—where students learn to control their powers and duel against each other in entertainment battles known as festas. Unfortunately, Ayato gets off to a rough start. When trying to return a lost handkerchief to a female classmate, he accidentally sees her changing which leads to her challenging him to a duel. What most people don't realize however, is that Ayato has no real interest in festas and instead has an alternative motive for joining this prestigious school. What is Ayato's big secret? Will he be able to keep up his act when surrounded by some of the greatest Genestella in the world?

Need the same general information for the below:

- Kiznaiver (will have NeoGAF OT)
- JoJo no Kimyou na Bouken: Diamond wa Kudakenai
- Gyakuten Saiban: Sono "Shinjitsu", Igi Ari! (Ace Attorney) (will have NeoGAF OT)
- Netoge no Yome wa Onnanoko ja Nai to Omotta?
- Hundred (pv:https://youtu.be/DFWaRiHiH5c)
- Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu
- Super Lovers
- Seisen Cerberus: Ryuukoku no Fatalités
- Flying Witch
- Sousei no Onmyouji
- Terra Formars Revenge
- Concrete Revolutio: Choujin Gensou - The Last Song (already has NeoGAF OT)
- Bakuon!!
- Kuromukuro
- Kuma Miko
- Kyoukai no Rinne (TV) 2nd Season
- Joker Game

Russ T

Banned
Another is more of a black "horror" comedy; if you like that sort of thing, Blood-C is the same but with better production values. As far as actual horror anime, by which I mean anime that creates a sustained psychological atmosphere of unease, I would recommend the following:

Asura
Boogiepop Phantom
Flowers of Evil
Kagewani
Perfect Blue
Serial Experiments Lain
Vampire Princess Miyu TV
Wasurenagumo

Hah, knew I could count on you.

I'd forgotten about Kagewani, even though I watched it and loved it! Gosh. Flowers of Evil, too. GOSH.

Thanks, hosanna! I'll check some of this stuff out.

Line_HTX

Luck & Logic 02

Infodumps as a quiz... I like this approach.

Chloe is so silly.

That pink haired one in the wheelchair is so smug, she probably says stuff that normally the Director can't.

Not bad so far, I just need to get used to that universe's terminology of the world.

Luck & Logic 02

Infodumps as a quiz... I like this approach.

Chloe is so silly.

That pink haired one in the wheelchair is so smug, she probably says stuff that normally the Director can't.

Not bad so far, I just need to get used to that universe's terminology of the world.

I dont think it has much terminology. Its just Logicalist, Covenator, Over trance, trance jack. I think its way less than other Bushiroad animes.

duckroll

If you liked Another you might enjoy Higurashi. But if you're looking for real horror anime check out Requiem from the Darkness. If you can find it...

Russ T

Banned
I've seen clips of Higurashi on youtube and decided not to watch it based on those clips.

But I've asked a bunch of people about horror anime this morning and you're not the first person to suggest it. I might check it out.

Requiem from the Darkness sounds nice on paper, at least! I'll look into that, too. Thanks!

Every fucking time lol.

This must be reoccurring phenomenon.

Spring's looking awful, too. So is summer. And I bet you fall is the worst season ever. And next winter? Well, it's winter again. You know what that means.

duckroll

Higurashi is funny. It's not a particularly well made show, the production values are awful, and in the end the answers are far less satisfying than the journey, but it does have a bunch of truly hilarious and over the top scenarios which are satisfying in itself and play on horror tropes much like Another does. Just have the right expectations and it's a fun watch, even if it's pretty flawed.

Russ T

Banned
Yeah, that sounds not too bad, if I'm in the mood for something like that (which is true more frequently than it's not!).

If you liked Another you might enjoy Higurashi. But if you're looking for real horror anime check out Requiem from the Darkness. If you can find it...

Seconding the Higurashi recommendation. The anime adaption is by no means perfect (animation isn't great, dub sucks, and the some stuff isn't as well detailed and explained like in the VN and Manga) but it's still enjoyable. I'd check it out if you can.

Mendrox

I've seen clips of Higurashi on youtube and decided not to watch it based on those clips.

But I've asked a bunch of people about horror anime this morning and you're not the first person to suggest it. I might check it out.

Requiem from the Darkness sounds nice on paper, at least! I'll look into that, too. Thanks!

Spring's looking awful, too. So is summer. And I bet you fall is the worst season ever. And next winter? Well, it's winter again. You know what that means.

No Spring, Summer and Fall are never bad at least for me. Spring this time even has too much anime that I want to watch, wtf

Also Higurashi rocks.

phaze

Asura
Boogiepop Phantom
Flowers of Evil
Kagewani
Perfect Blue
Serial Experiments Lain
Vampire Princess Miyu TV
Wasurenagumo

To not even warrant a mention.... Your crusade on Yami Shibai continues huh ? :p

But Russ T, if you want horror anime you're obligated to check it out. It's pretty much the only show so far I've seen that I'd call genuinely scary in a good few spots. There is also Ghost Hound from the director of Lain, which, while not scary per se, had those distinct horrory vibes executed better than most.

Russ T

Banned
I'm mostly keeping up with Yamishibai and it's uh...

This season I have laughed out loud at literally every monster reveal so far. (I think I haven't watched the latest two episodes.) It does manage to be legitimately creepy at times, but more often than not they blow it with something absurd! It's a silly little thing..

Love the ED song this season, though!

Line_HTX

Higurashi is funny. It's not a particularly well made show, the production values are awful, and in the end the answers are far less satisfying than the journey, but it does have a bunch of truly hilarious and over the top scenarios which are satisfying in itself and play on horror tropes much like Another does. Just have the right expectations and it's a fun watch, even if it's pretty flawed.

*Rena laugh

AHAHA... HAHAHAHAHA~...

The scariest thing about Ghost Hound is how quickly it put me to sleep.

You don't like cicadas and static radio noise with the lights off?

:T

phaze

The scariest thing about Ghost Hound is how quickly it put me to sleep.

I'm mostly keeping up with Yamishibai and it's uh...

This season I have laughed out loud at literally every monster reveal so far. (I think I haven't watched the latest two episodes.) It does manage to be legitimately creepy at times, but more often than not they blow it with something absurd! It's a silly little thing..

Love the ED song this season, though!

Haven't been keeping up with the current season past ep 3, though what I've seen was bad I agree.

JulianImp

I have two reccomendations: Paranoia Agent and Higurashi: When they cry.

Higurashi initially appears to be little more than a harem-ish SoL-ish comedy, but after a bit it sheds that cutesy appearance and begins to nuture a growing sense of dread and paranoia that I really liked. It does get particularily violent and grotesque at times, but not to the ludicrous levels of Another (your mileage may vary, though).

Umineko does more grotesque mystery horror, but the anime only adapted the first half of the story and is generally considered to be a really bad adaptation, sadly.

Puella Magi Madoka Magica
This is really very good, have you heard? Utterly blown away, I had a hard time adjusting to the character art at first but settled in after episode 3 when the show starts to reveal itself and I forgot all about it. The demon world is one of the most exciting visual representations of a dream space I've ever seen. Yeah it's as good as advertised and then some.

Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon?
Needed something light after PMMM ripped me up and this was just the ticket, surprisingly clean with the fan-service and the comedy was done well. The MC is as bland as all get out but the writing sustains the show and managed to avoid falling down the 'MC does it all' hole completely. Just really good fun and I'm looking forward to the OVAs

Qurupeke

Puella Magi Madoka Magica
This is really very good, have you heard? Utterly blown away, I had a hard time adjusting to the character art at first but settled in after episode 3 when the show starts to reveal itself and I forgot all about it. The demon world is one of the most exciting visual representations of a dream space I've ever seen. Yeah it's as good as advertised and then some.

You need to watch the 3rd movie too, if you haven't already done so. :)

Boogiepop is fucking great. Don't expect spooks and visceral impact, it's a much more subtle horror.

While hosanna's suspect definition of "actual" horror is eye-rolling it's a pretty damn good list of shows by any metric or standard. I'd even suggest watching most of them if you're looking for more stuff along the lines of Requiem from the Darkness or conventional horror like...well, shit there's very little in anime to give decent examples of. Higurashi and like...fuck, Imma have to think about this not at work.

To be blunt, if you're looking for horror then manga is your best bet. The vast landscape of excellent horror manga is pretty varied and deep.

Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon?
Needed something light after PMMM ripped me up and this was just the ticket, surprisingly clean with the fan-service and the comedy was done well. The MC is as bland as all get out but the writing sustains the show and managed to avoid falling down the 'MC does it all' hole completely. Just really good fun and I'm looking forward to the OVAs

Yeah, but dat minotaur fight tho

You need to watch the 3rd movie too, if you haven't already done so. :)

Dammit I thought that was a movie version of eps 9-12? Credit card don't fail me now! So thirsty for more of that art.

Yeah, but dat minotaur fight tho

Not sure I'm catching your drift, my eyes for this are still untrained and unless it's Gunslinger Girl 2 levels of 'shaky still' (so much salt over this) I'm none too hot at telling if the animation is bad. I thought the Minotaur fight was good?

EDIT: Ahhhh it was a /s detection fail on my part! Yeah that was damn good

sonicmj1

Can I just reiterate how many damn shows are scheduled to air in 3/4 weeks from now!!!!!! This is insane...

With that being said, I'm putting together a " Spring Anime Preview Thread" for the OT section as has been asked of me/us in the in the individual OT threads a lot over the past year...
In its current form, what does your thread accomplish that wouldn't be achieved by a link to Anichart.net? I mean, isn't that where you're borrowing your summaries from?

If you want to achieve something more valuable (and I'd try and help if you did), you need to tell people why they might want to watch or avoid a given show in a way that goes beyond plot summaries and arbitrary age ratings.

phaze

God Eater 3-4

I've seen many a bad show, battle shounens in particular but I ... I'm not sure if I can do this. Stuff like Deadman Wonderland or Blood-C was at least funny, this is just supremely dull. And I still, after dropping it ep 1, utterly detest the way it looks, the entire weirdass artstyle, the shitty jrpg monster designs, the stupid, oversized weapons that look like they weigh 60 kilos yet are swung with no effort at all. The character designs are the least obnoxious thing about it but even then, most of characters in this "military" look like bunch of hobos. I get that they were knocked back into XVI century but this is taking it too far. Give them some goddamn uniforms. Alisa is the particular offender with her stupid cap, hair and the cleavage that to show very much likes to push in my face.

I seem to have skipped ep 2 but it doesn't seem like I missed anything of significance.

Edit: So the main story beat of this is literally: kill x wolves and collect x wolf skins ?
KuGsj.gif

Koyomimonogatari 8-9

Passable.

Dimension W 9

I enjoyed the first 4 episodes but this is losing me more and more. I have trouble pegging down just quite what bothers me but I think it just boils down to the fact that Kyouma's backstory, the bizzare explanations for Dimension W (memories ? what ?) and the island arc in general, with its half a dozen of goofy, throwaway characters are cliche, make no sense or just fail to rouse my interest at all. At this point, I'd probably put Ajin over this.

Qurupeke

Dammit I thought that was a movie version of eps 9-12? Credit card don't fail me now! So thirsty for more of that art.

The first two movies are pretty much the same as the series, but this one is a continuation. It's definitely a mustwatch if you liked the visuals of the series.

Cornbread78

In its current form, what does your thread accomplish that wouldn't be achieved by a link to Anichart.net? I mean, isn't that where you're borrowing your summaries from?

If you want to achieve something more valuable (and I'd try and help if you did), you need to tell people why they might want to watch or avoid a given show in a way that goes beyond plot summaries and arbitrary age ratings.

That is an even better way to do it! There are just SOO many shows coming out this spring, it's hard to focus on just a few, but maybe with some help we can cut down the list a little and just name other shows and link the PV for others. Any ideas are welcomed!!!!! As you guys have seen outside of here, there are a lot of more casual viewers that want input from other GAFfers on what is coming out. Adding a new thread is perfect way to organize and answer all these questions.

We can just answer:

- What kind of show it is
- Why you should watch it
- Link the PV(s) for it?

Russ T

Banned

I don't necessarily disagree with the bulk of what you're saying, but if the goal is to loop in new viewers, just linking to anichart is kinda lame. You wanna make it as easy as possible to obtain information, and building that into a detailed OP is the best way to do that here on GAF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom