• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gafia 3 [Mafia] | Welcome to Lynchwood Acres

Sorian

Banned
Yeah good call. Let's reward a player for doing fuck all for most of the day phase except coming in to whine and put down a vote that you apparently don't think matters.

Why bother saying anything? He wasn't the only inactive and with the high concentration of trash posts, hitting one of them was a likelier conclusion anyway. So why come out of hiding to shut it down?

squidyj

Yeah good call. Let's reward a player for doing fuck all for most of the day phase except coming in to whine and put down a vote that you apparently don't think matters.

hey, what's up?
oh. Crab. right, nevermind.

still too many people and too much jibber jabber in this game right now, crab is a sore scum thumb from what I've read though, he's doing the thing where he believes he can manipulate the whole game.

Vote: Faddy

Nothing he has said so far has really sit well with me, nor does it make sense. It doesn't strike me as town play, and out of the choices, he is the one I feel the most comfortable in lynching.

I won't vote for Bronx today despite my change in feeling regarding his actions, and I'm leaning town on Crab. The latter seems honest and has been contributing well despite his previous absence.

I would like to know, however, why Swamped urged us to look at Crab more closely.

Faddy

Banned
I find that Faddy brings to mind a certain brash quality, one that exudes a warrior will in its spiritual innocence and the lust for glory mutual to the advancement of his fellows; yet, the same temperament houses a more sinister instinct, that of the desire to impose on the others his preferred method of operation, with a harsh disregard for their own individuality.

Franconp summons to my thought a resolute statue upon a pillar high; brooding, furtive in its lofty worldview and concerned at the state of it, wishing for it better despite his own petrified predicament. From that very perch, he would swoop down and make a life of it if he could, but alas, not only does he know in his heart that he would plummet like the stone he is, he would assuredly crumble, upon striking the cobblestones.

Damn it Blarg. That is a perfect read of me.

Now I need to sit here and work out if you think franconp is scum or not. Or you could just say.

*Splinter

Splinter desires to see squid dead! Wonder what his reasoning was for that...
Oh, I never explained it.

hey splinter you're mostly not worth responding to but I'm curious why you're trying to help scum win the game.

thanks.
I don't see a reason for town squidy to say this. Of all the shitposters in this game, he singles me out as helping scum? Bare in mind this was fairly early in the day and only a handful of us were even attempting to play mafia. Yeah, I don't buy that, so I don't see any reason for town-squidy to make this post.

I've actually made a very similar post to this before. In Price is Right (where I was scum) I made some overly flippant remark to Karkador in an attempt to demotivate him and effectively frustrate him out of the thread (it worked more than expected and I immediately regretted it).

It worked here too. I saw that post and closed the thread, only coming back when I realised squidy is scum.

I see he just got a vote, convenient but I'll take it.

VOTE: squidyj

(Incidentally, Blarg also made a similar post today. This doesn't seem his style though so I'll put that down to the good old "Blarg being Blarg" explanation.)

acohrs

hey, what's up?
oh. Crab. right, nevermind.

still too many people and too much jibber jabber in this game right now, crab is a sore scum thumb from what I've read though, he's doing the thing where he believes he can manipulate the whole game.

it's common for crab to think he can manipulate a whole game?

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Okay, so, my thoughts.

I read Splinter moderately town. The FoS of Burb in 310s is the first time Splinter came to my attention, and it struck me as true. Burb plays incredibly safely. The average Burb post is dedicated to game theory, and this is true whether scum or town, which is good for him when scum but bad for him when town. I hadn't considered Burb as a fos myself to this point, but I think Splinter's point is potentially true, not following the crowd, and struck me as a true read. I liked his observations about Blarg-Burb, and on acohrs in 870s. He was right to correct me - acohrs probably actually has been worse than Bronx in terms of content/post, just Bronx's play has been so bad in other ways it distracted my attention.

Burbeting is very safe. I liked Ocean's observation in post 410 about Burb's tendency to vote call-out inactives as a way to safely place a vote. Swamped does this too.

I have no read on Lone_Prodigy

I town read franconp probably the strongest of any player in the game. The observation in 480 was absolutely right, and largely the same as my own at that point of reading. Struck me as the first attempt to progress the game in a while. Little things like the follow-up pressure post in franconp-Faddy struck me as how town plays and how scum struggle to play - you need big balls do keep that intensity up as scum, they normally back off from large confrontations or seek safety in numbers. Scum reads me in 876. I don't read this as false, I just don't think franconp appreciated the intent behind my posts.

Kalor I have null read. Made a good observation in I think 881. I mildly worry it was an attempt to buddy me, but maybe not as I'm picking up fair fos so it would be a very long scum game.

Sorian is uh... underperforming town? Tries to get the first injection of pace to the game in 135 with an attack on Verelios I totally agreed with. Then drops it for reasons I can't work out, and has a very strange conversation with Bronx, franconp, and Verelios. Something doesn't feel right in that interaction. Later, Sorian townreads Kawl and Natiko. Why? Kawl has contributed basically nothing all game, just some general "this is what abstract good town play looks like posts". There's nothing wrong with those in isolation, I make them too, but anyone can make them as any alignment because they're just true statements and good ways to buy town cred. I don't see why Sorian would find that convincing, as I think he's a better player than that. Then he gets sidetracked into arguing with Blarg for ages. I don't get bad intent, but I don't think he's really plugging into this game properly.

squidy has floated under my radar entirely.

Kawl I have a very mild scumread on, perhaps. Spends more time establishing town authority than using it. Doesn't put forward much substantive material. Definitely not in line with his performance in MiniMaf, where he was a relative town leader.

Swamped is a strong scum read. Sneaks into the game quietly - the firs few posts are just scattered along, not raising any suspicion but slowly integrating herself into the game. Spends time talking about Ouro's day commands. It seemed entirely obvious to me those were not day commands. I think that would seem obvious to any competent player. Swamped is a competent player. Looked like scum "oh I wonder?" ploy to estbalish trustworthy naivety. Casts a vote for me very early - not to be blunt, but I'm always a reasonably threatening player and helping set the stage to FoS me up early is always useful for scum. This vote then never really changes, despite the fact she, for example, foses Faddy around the 460s without changing vote (and added to the fact I don't think a good player scumreads Faddy at this point). Has an incredibly non-committal read list around Sorian and CCS designed to look like material when it actually says "eh, um, shades of grey, either or" - obvious filler.

VOTE: Swamped

Natiko is a null read to me, which is impressive because Natiko has generated a lot of material. I think I want to see slightly more aggression from Natiko's play. I'm worried Natiko could be "shit-stirrer" scum - throw out posts, see what sticks, subtly nudge it on, let other players do the heavy lifting. Then again. could just be town acclimatizaing to a new game. Definitely going to reread this material more closely.

CCS is probably just very bad town. Could be scum, but acts so un-town-like that it would be hard to actually discern scum features. CCS trusts a) people who make long game theory posts and b) people who were town in his last game. He distrusts a) people who push foses and b) people who were scum in his last game. Very easily manipulated. For example, finding that Burb post really useful - that Burb post was a total waste of space. Because of our play history together, I will never stop being scum to CCS, and so the vote is probably not from malign intent, but it still makes me despair.

I don't do Blarg reads this early. No point.

Verelios is very strange. I think I lean scum. The early joke with Sorian just makes no sense and still baffles me. It seems to require a context I don't have, and Sorian also denies having. There's a vote for Swamped out of nowhere for a reason I don't entirely understand, then a long period of silence even when under discussion from franconp's pushes. Really don't like this pattern of play.

Kyanrute is null. Not really enough material. Liked the observation in the 650s though.

Faddy I think I read as town that doesn't play very well. There's a lot of spam going on early on, not much contribution. There's a very strange piggy-back in behind Sorian in 455, and gets very defensive on being called out about it. But what I mostly see is just such obviously 'scum-like' play it's too bad to be scum. It's really hard to act like inexperienced town - you can't really copy that level of not-understanding, it's like trying not to think about a pink rhinoceros when someone says don't think about a pink rhinoceros. Small things like 837 just being so woeful.

Bronx-Man is either scum or such a terrible town player I don't even care if he is lynched. A metric fuck ton of spam, most of his posts are insane levels of defensiveness that just distract everyone without building material, where he does respond to other people he doesn't build a case, he just says "AHA!" without there being any explanation or purpose to the post, has a dreadful OMGUS with Blarg, blatantly doesn't follow the game (see the early conversation with Sorian). I wish to god I was a vigilante, I tell you that much.

acohrs I lean scum on. For some reason, the only topic that seems to get acohrs roused from shitposting is when I come up. I don't like the soft back and forth fosing between Swamped and acohrs, before they both flip to a third party they then mysteriously agree on.

Anyone else I really just don't have enough material on.

Natiko

Banned
Why bother saying anything? He wasn't the only inactive and with the high concentration of trash posts, hitting one of them was a likelier conclusion anyway. So why come out of hiding to shut it down?
I don't know - thus far it can't be said he wanted to cut out the clutter for any particularly helpful reason. I don't see Crab actually analyzing much of anything yet. Nothing he's done up to this point has had any substance. It's not like I'm scum reading Crab, he's null to me. I just don't get the logic behind acting like Crab has contributed anything worth noting. He bitched about shitposting which plenty of people have done and put out a vote on the "worst" shit poster even though Bronx isn't actually the worst offender here. None of that makes me go "ah bravo my town pal Crab, thanks for all you've done"

Sorian

Banned
As per the usual I went to go read the section about me and while the underlying conclusion is right, the town reading Kawl and Natiko line is off. Not wanting to lynch someone isn't the same as town reading them on day 1.

Natiko

Banned
Of course Crab would come through with a real post finally as I post lol That's an actual contribution, and I do appreciate it. At this point I really don't like either of the trains in the lead (Bronx and Crab if I'm correct still?). I would vote any of those I scum read - Vere, WAMD, Kalor, Acorns, and squidy. If I had to put an order to it probably Vere - Acorns - Squidy - WAMD - Kalor

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
As per the usual I went to go read the section about me and while the underlying conclusion is right, the town reading Kawl and Natiko line is off. Not wanting to lynch someone isn't the same as town reading them on day 1.

-shrugs-

They are to me. I'd lynch like half of town on D1 if I could.

CCS

Banned
For the record, my scum read on Crab is based entirely on this game.

Yes but why would scum come and complain about lack of content? Coasting suits them best. I'm not convinced at all by this vote my old mucker, any thoughts on gryvan?

I don't have any thoughts on gryvan unfortunately. Complete null read.

Damn it Blarg. That is a perfect read of me.

Now I need to sit here and work out if you think franconp is scum or not. Or you could just say.

3G4Zixh.gif

nah

CCS

Banned
Also, Crab, your scum are Bronx and acohrs (two of the safest wagons in town) and Vere and Swamped, who seem so opposed to each other that I find it hard to believe they're both scum (since I don't believe Vere is bussing Swamped as no one else is paying attention to her). Very weak team you've put together there.

*Splinter

Also, Crab, your scum are Bronx and acohrs (two of the safest wagons in town) and Vere and Swamped, who seem so opposed to each other that I find it hard to believe they're both scum (since I don't believe Vere is bussing Swamped as no one else is paying attention to her). Very weak team you've put together there.
Fighting amongst themselves while noone pays attention to either is the safest time for some fake friction.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member

Don't look for teams. Odds you're right, or I'm right, or anyone is right about even one scum is only marginally better than random if you're a good player. Odds of getting more than one scum is virtually zero, especially on day one. Some of my reads will be wrong. However, the fact all of them can't be right at the same time doesn't mean all of them are wrong.

CCS

Banned
Fighting amongst themselves while noone pays attention to either is the safest time for some fake friction.

It's not fake friction though. It's just Vere leaving a vote on Swamped while nothing happens. A W/W pair would at least try and sell it better.

Swamped

Banned
Even before Crab made his huge post, I had a sneaking suspicion he was going to vote for me. It's because I'm on the right track regarding his alignment. You're definitely scum my friend, and I urge everyone to lynch Crab today.

My first vote on Crab was a fun one, then I changed to acohrs because of scummy behavior. But my second vote on Crab was very serious.

I also read Dragonz as scum. I'm cooling off on my Burb scum read though. Acohrs...really not sure any more, would like more data.

CCS

Banned
Anyone who votes acohrs, Bronx, or Blarg is suspicious in my books. Honestly can't see any reason to scum read them except for the fact that they've turned into the easy lynches.

Faddy

Banned
Of course Crab would come through with a real post finally as I post lol That's an actual contribution, and I do appreciate it. At this point I really don't like either of the trains in the lead (Bronx and Crab if I'm correct still?). I would vote any of those I scum read - Vere, WAMD, Kalor, Acorns, and squidy. If I had to put an order to it probably Vere - Acorns - Squidy - WAMD - Kalor

Natiko I look at your list and my list and see squidyj and kalor.

*splinter is already on squidy. Want to relive day 1 of DR3?

Ourobolus

Banned
DAY 1 VOTES

crab (6)
swamped 159 (841)
natiko 505 (518)
blargonaut 781 (783)
squidyj 817
ccs 858
swamped 1048
blargonaut 1058
bronx-man 1139
faddy 1140

bronx-man (3)
blargonaut 212 (217)
blargonaut 217 (342)
theworthyedge 221
blargonaut 383 (392)
faddy 455 (620)
blargonaut 568 (573)
blargonaut 634 (641)
blargonaut 649 (658)
blargonaut 668 (671)
kyanrute 669 (674)
blargonaut 709 (781)
kawl_usc 1050
crab 855 (1207)
sorian 1128

swamped (2)
sorian 62 (135)
verelios 396
crab 1207

acohrs (2)
blargonaut 342 (383)
sorian 453 (1128)
squidyj 546 (817)
swamped 841 (1048)
*splinter 872 (1205)
natiko 1081
gryvan 1156

squidyj (2)
*splinter 388 (581)
*splinter 581 (872)
kyanrute 1181
*splinter 1205

faddy (2)
bronx-man 492 (1139)
blargonaut 641 (649)
franconp 1017
wherearemahdragonz 1203

gryvan (1)
kyanrute 674 (1181)
acohrs 1133

kalor (1)
burbeting 953

burbeting (1)
kalor 96

kawl_usc (0)
ccs 65 (328)

lone_prodigy (0)
verelios 71 (396)
natiko 518 (1081)
ccs 828 (858)
faddy 831 (1140)

wherearemahdragonz (0)
burbeting 72 (301)
blargonaut 573 (634)

verelios (0)
faddy 90 (455)
sorian 135 (453)

kyanrute (0)
squidyj 99 (546)

oceanicair (0)
natiko 152 (505)

blargonaut (0)
gryvan 158 (425)
bronx-man 215 (416)

fat4all (0)
acohrs 275 (281)

nin1000 (0)
burbeting 378 (432)

splinter (0)
ccs 604 (605)

*splinter (0)
ccs 605 (828)

franconp (0)
faddy 620 (831)

Day 1 Ends:
red_1488578400.png

Majority is 13.

CCS

Banned
We've looped back around to the beginning.

What happened to Verelios? Why do you keep shuffling Verelios and Bronx in and out of these read posts?

Vere is my top town. I don't think these are all guaranteed town, they just aren't scummy either.

CCS trusts a) people who make long game theory posts and b) people who were town in his last game. He distrusts a) people who push foses and b) people who were scum in his last game

This is a weird comment by Crab, and makes me think that either he isn't really reading my posts or is deliberately misrepresenting them.

1) I said I liked game theory posts by Burb and Kawl. However, at no point have I town read them.

2) My top town are Vere, who I've never played with, and Bronx, who was SK last time I played with him.

3) The only person I strongly distrust is you, so this is a weird point to make.

4) Sure, you were scum last time I played with you. However I've also suggested lynching Faddy (team mate last time) and Fran (Town).

Unusually careless play for town Crab.

Verelios

I'm not, my vote on Swamped was a prod vote I just never took off. I even say as much when Swamped asks why I voted for her (though didn't answer me) early in the game, where anyone who's read the read could see. How that became a point of contention (Nat) I don't know.

Unvote

On the record, I'm fine voting for anyone I have a slight scum read on, but I do think Bronx atm is just misunderstood.

Natiko

Banned
Natiko I look at your list and my list and see squidyj and kalor.

*splinter is already on squidy. Want to relive day 1 of DR3?
Potentially. Need to see where things are shaking out but outside of breaking ties I definitely won't be voting Bronx or Crab and right now a tie isn't even an issue.

Why is squidy on your list btw?

And yours, Natiko?
Squidy made a point to complain about shitposting when generally his posts have been worthless as well. It read to me like someone trying to build in an excuse for themselves to not participate. It rang far, far more hollow than Crab's as well because Squidy had posted some prior to that and they weren't exactly top notch posts.

I mean, I'm surprised you remembered, Sorian who are you even fuck l'esprit de l'escalier

something something you didn't exist so of course how could you remember yeah yeah yeah

Sorian

Banned
Say what you will but it's unhealthy to have only one wagon going into day end. Blah blah tied votes but piling onto one with over an hour left does not usually lynch scum.

Say what you will but it's unhealthy to have only one wagon going into day end. Blah blah tied votes but piling onto one with over an hour left does not usually lynch scum.

heeeeeeeeeeeeeeey Ourob you reordered the vote count list

I appreciate it, Ourob

Count on me to notice your fine work

Top Bottom