• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Notch (Mojang, Minecraft) creates a new game live - Weekend Fun!

(It's over now, but you can watch the archived versions)

Part 1 (thanks, laika09): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYBUCYUNn3Q This was the expensive part.
Part 2: Should be on twitch.tv link below

Update 3: http://www.twitch.tv/realnotch Now it's twitch.tv, a game-o-philic subsidiary of justin.tv.
Update 2: http://www.justin.tv/realnotch
UPDATE: Stream/Channel was deleted due to high bandwidth costs. He's currently looking for an alternative service. Quick! Everyone go buy three more copies of Minecraft
http://www.livestream.com/mojang
Featuring Eclipse Java EE, Paint.NET, music, and Markus' voice on the headset. ETA of game from start is about a couple of hours?

Delete if this topic has come up already. It should be starting in about 20 minutes. Watch in HD if bandwidth caps are of no concern. It should fun to watch!

Markus Persson (Notch) likes to make games. Fast. Examples:
Left 4k Dead
MEG4kMAN
More!

Ydahs

"Give me a sec to use the rest-room

To pee."

Classy :lol

I'm currently developing my first iOS game and just starting on a PC game. Maybe I can learn something here.

He normally uses Java. Any ideas on what engine he uses?

Rapstah

Ydahs said:
"Give me a sec to use the rest-room

To pee."

Classy :lol

I'm currently developing my first iOS game and just starting on a PC game. Maybe I can learn something here.

He normally uses Java. Any ideas on what engine he uses?
Is he implying that he's jacking off with those quotation marks? Anyone?

bengraven

We need an Alton Brown of quick coding.

"Ah, okay, see, he's using an MS Word document to...to...oh, to show us that he's peeing, okay, well, we'll be back soon with IRON CODERS SWEDEN".

Enco said:
I don't get how it's going to be expensive?
Some companies charge for HD streams, and you can only make it back on ad revenue over a certain threshold. Depends whether Notch wants to run ads really.

Anyway I hope it's wildly different.

I'm going to write down some notes in his lesson.

1: Creating a game takes more than one idea. This is hard.
2: Find a nice, sturdy hat.

Ugh, this has inspired me to make something myself. I was planning on being lazy today :/

Hopefully I'll have something for GAF this time tomorrow.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
snoopeasystreet said:
Ugh, this has inspired me to make something myself. I was planning on being lazy today :/

Hopefully I'll have something for GAF this time tomorrow.

This stuff takes sooo much time. Working on this at the moment, and no end in sight. No idea how people can create games within a day.

Enco

Visualante said:
Some companies charge for HD streams, and you can only make it back on ad revenue over a certain threshold. Depends whether Notch wants to run ads really.

Anyway I hope it's wildly different.
Ah ok.

Another blocky game? Sheesh. I realise how more detailed graphics would take much more time but meh.

Enco said:
Ah ok.

Another blocky game? Sheesh. I realise how more detailed graphics would take much more time but meh.
Haha. Dude, it's his first iteration... if he ever continues developing for it.

Toma said:
This stuff takes sooo much time. Working on this at the moment, and no end in sight. No idea how people can create games within a day.

I tend to make things that are incredibly static when it comes to player expression so I don't have to worry about crazy variables the lead to players breaking the game. Once I define what a player can do, then I build the game around that. It's a very low level way of designing a game but it means I can burn through an idea really quickly.

Man

It's hypnotic. I code for a living but it's soothing to have this run in the background. Work is being done, world moving forward.

Turfster

Glad I'm not the only one that has "it's doing what? Why is it doing that? Seriously, why? It shouldn't be doing that." moments. =p

Anyone know the music he's listening to? Keep missing the name of the station or something.

This is also brining back horrible flashback to my Java Modules last year at Uni.

sephi22

GazzaScotland said:
Anyone know the music he's listening to? Keep missing the name of the station or something.

This is also brining back horrible flashback to my Java Modules last year at Uni.
I heard 'MissAnnaKiss'

Ydahs

Integer division in the double xd, while the double yd has double division.

IT'S THERE IN YOUR FACE!

edit: there we go

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Having never really programmed anything beyond two small tutorial things, this looks crazy hard.

It's neat though.

Venfayth

Notch did this last year as well, but didn't finish :( He's doing a game for the Ludum Dare:

"Ludum Dare is a regular accelerated game development Event. Participants develop games from scratch in a weekend, based on a theme suggested by community."

The theme this time is 'Escape'

Rapstah

That is a darn impressive fast 2.5d mockup. He seems to know exactly what he's doing though so I guess he does like three of these in a week.

Ydahs

Rapstah said:
That is a darn impressive fast 2.5d mockup. He seems to know exactly what he's doing though so I guess he does like three of these in a week.
That maths man. That maths.

I'm actually now considering to put aside my PC game project and try to design my own small engine using a standard library. I doubt I'll get this far, but it'll sure help my understanding on how things work.

Also, stream's dying for me :(

Acullis said:
Notch did this last year as well, but didn't finish :( He's doing a game for the Ludum Dare:

"Ludum Dare is a regular accelerated game development Event. Participants develop games from scratch in a weekend, based on a theme suggested by community."

The theme this time is 'Escape'

Cannabalt came out of this ?

Venfayth

Truespeed said:
Notch is a master with an IDE. Also, you can hear he uses a mechanical keyboard.

I bought a mechanical keyboard the other day because of how amazing they sound and I told my dad (he's been in the web development industry for as long as I can remember) and he thought I was making a sarcastic joke. He didn't know what it was :(

I showed him and now he is a follower, but still, the term "mechanical" keyboard has gotten weird reactions from a ton of people.

raphier

Banned
GazzaScotland said:
Any time I check back and watch the stream, I can't help but think it looks like a visualisation for the music!
Thats what I was thinking :D He's developiong it according to the music. And once the music changes, he changes the style and motion too.

Top Bottom