• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Notch (Mojang, Minecraft) creates a new game live - Weekend Fun!

Man

Sporting the Razor BlackWidow personally:

%5B100818%5Drazerbw01.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GioAseZqx3Q

Septimius

What is that on the bottom of the draw-screen?

Also, now I'm curious about mechanical keyboards. I saw someone advocating 250$ keyboards in a thread yesterday - how much do you have to give to get a mechanical keyboard that's good? I've fallen for the Logitech Illuminated Keyboard - is there anyone that's gone from that to mechanical keyboard that can share some thoughts?

RealMeat

Banned
So after a long week of programming I'm spending my weekend watching someone else program. What has my life become?

Ydahs

Nostalgia. Reminded of the Win95 3D maze wallpaper.

Though seriously, this is insane. He's created his own 3D engine from scratch.

Rapstah

I can't wait for him to attempt to do collision detection on that clusterfuck of 3D code he just made. Does he really know how he did it all up to this point?

Venfayth

Rapstah said:
I can't wait for him to attempt to do collision detection on that clusterfuck of 3D code he just made. Does he really know how he did it all up to this point?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure he does anyway. The last Ludum Dare he did a similar 3d style, I'd imagine it's a very familiar concept to him.

That's all speculation of course.

Blizzard

Banned
Acullis said:
Yeah, I'm pretty sure he does anyway. The last Ludum Dare he did a similar 3d style, I'd imagine it's a very familiar concept to him.

That's all speculation of course.
It even looks like Minecraft with the blocks. Does anyone know if he uses Java 3D for Minecraft, or something completely custom that integrates with OpenGL etc.?

Movement is now in, yay.

Rapstah

Blizzard said:
It even looks like Minecraft with the blocks. Does anyone know if he uses Java 3D for Minecraft, or something completely custom that integrates with OpenGL etc.?

Movement is now in, yay.
Through some blog posts about Minecraft it was made pretty clear that the world in minecraft moves and never the player. This seems to be a 3D engine with the player moving around a static world going by his code. Or are the walls and ceiling/floor done differently? I missed an hour of wall coding.

This is amazing. He's a master, clearly. Already he's made something playable and interesting, and in such a short amount of time too.

Blizzard

Banned
raphier said:
heh, there is your collision detection in that clusterfuck, few lines of code :D
Something like "This is BAD collision detection...but it actually works! IT WORKS!" XD

*edit* Editing code on the fly is awesome. Visual Studio has some sort of option to let you do that, doesn't it? Does Netbeans, or is this an Eclipse and/or Java extension-specific thing?

Red

Rapstah said:
Through some blog posts about Minecraft it was made pretty clear that the world in minecraft moves and never the player. This seems to be a 3D engine with the player moving around a static world going by his code. Or are the walls and ceiling/floor done differently? I missed an hour of wall coding.
How is that possible in multiplayer servers? Seems needlessly complicated.

Rapstah

Crunched said:
How is that possible in multiplayer servers? Seems needlessly complicated.
Not really if the client is treated differently from the server obviously. And how much money is this costing him?

EDIT: NOO NOT LOW QUALITY ASD

FAKE EDIT 2: Okay, zoomed in sort of works. Ouch.

Phreaker

He just checked his livestream report and said this is going to be expensive - 17,000+ viewer hours. Doh, no more HD :) Oh and an ad, lol

Blizzard

Banned
How much does it cost per viewer hour? I'm guessing from his reaction he must have been blowing $10,000 or so just for that HD stream. :p

Turfster

Lol.
"Just checking my livestream."
*silence*
"This is not going to be good."
*more silence*
"17 thousand viewer hours."

Just did the calculation. Should cost him at least $3700 due to the overage on the viewer hours assuming he chose the first tier in the premium membership. Don't worry, Notch, your money is worth much more than our AmericaBux.

It's crazy how bad I feel even knowing this guy has a shit load of money. He's such a nice guy!

Truespeed

Blizzard said:

Movement is now in, yay.

It's likely the Java3D API with the OpenGL implementation. There's also a DirectX implementation, but since Minecraft is cross platform it's the OpenGL implementation.

Phreaker

Wonder what happened.... He switched over to his Tiny Vikings game and bam, channel deleted.

Viewer count when he switched to non-hd and ran an ad was over 12,000.

Now getting, "Unfortunately, mojang has been permanently deleted. All of mojang's videos will no longer be available."

Top Bottom