• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Notch (Mojang, Minecraft) creates a new game live - Weekend Fun!

rocK`

Banned
hey guys - does anyone have a high quality rip of this? I'd love to see it on my ipad/iphone when im travelling.

Red

Checking out some videos now of the completed game. Looks like a very basic, first-person Zelda. Seems like a lot of fun to play.

Gassey

Banned
zkylon said:
Yeah, i had programming teachers that coded in class 3D engines in C++ from memory so i'm sure that's how Notch did it. It never ceases to amaze me though.

Fascinating approach, but - odd. If he spends a day prepping the engine from memory, why not just bring it along? Then you'd get 48 hours to make the game instead of 24 ;)

Blizzard

Banned
Gassey said:
Fascinating approach, but - odd. If he spends a day prepping the engine from memory, why not just bring it along? Then you'd get 48 hours to make the game instead of 24 ;)
I'm guessing it's contest rules. For some things like the sound effect tool, they were created for/during previous competitions, but I guess they qualify as a "generally available tool" kinda thing, that everyone could have downloaded from the internet before the competition. At least with the global game jam, I don't think people were supposed to use their own preprogrammed engines since it could give you a big advantage. If you used Unity though, everyone has access to that, so it was considered ok.

Gassey

Banned
Blizzard said:
I'm guessing it's contest rules. For some things like the sound effect tool, they were created for/during previous competitions, but I guess they qualify as a "generally available tool" kinda thing, that everyone could have downloaded from the internet before the competition. At least with the global game jam, I don't think people were supposed to use their own preprogrammed engines since it could give you a big advantage. If you used Unity though, everyone has access to that, so it was considered ok.

It's definitely not against the rules (see here). It's only the game code and content that must be developed on site.

Very few people will be able to code an engine on site :)

raphier

Banned
Gassey said:
It's definitely not against the rules (see here). It's only the game code and content that must be developed on site.

Very few people will be able to code an engine on site :)
Oh well...I'm bringing Cryengine 3 next year :D

Blizzard

Banned
raphier said:
Similarly, one could have used UDK for the global game jam, but the problem is it takes so long to set up anything from scratch and do the graphics for it (in my very limited experience) that simpler 2D engines are a much better choice. I have a schedule for a stupidly simple "game" in the UDK thread, and it's like 40 hours predicted work total. I will have to compare how long it took me if I ever finish.

raphier said:

We were against other teams with UDK and some Flash frameworks last year. We won with a tiny custom built engine (built beforehand). Believe me, just because you think the graphics and such in something like Crysis or Gears are amazing, it doesn't mean that much when it comes to whipping up creative, poignant works in incredibly limited timespan.

Truespeed said:
I think Hotspot is kind of unique to languages that use VM's.
Yeah, that for sure, but it might be possible to implement it for C# as well.

I just tried making an Eclipse project out of the source, so far I haven't succeeded.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
close to the edge said:
I just tried making an Eclipse project out of the source, so far I haven't succeeded.
Quick 'n dirty:
— Make a new Java project (name doesn't matter; I think JSE 1.6 and up should be fine)
— Import the source from the ZIP you downloaded
— Copy all the subfolders in /res/ to /src/ (or adjust the path stuff, your call)

Resulting folder structure:
JuZiw.png

At this point, it should run fine. "Run As..." etc

Jasoco

Banned
I had to work all weekend so I couldn't watch this. I am now watching the first part he has on TwitchTV, but I can't watch the first part. Has he or anyone uploaded it anywhere? I really want to watch him start from an empty folder and a blank text document.

Echoplx

Jasoco said:
I had to work all weekend so I couldn't watch this. I am now watching the first part he has on TwitchTV, but I can't watch the first part. Has he or anyone uploaded it anywhere? I really want to watch him start from an empty folder and a blank text document.

Sadly that was over on livestream.com and he had to delete it due to costs.

Jasoco

Banned
I know that. I guess no one would have been able to download it to put it somewhere else. That sucks. I wish Notch could upload it somewhere himself. It's the part I'm most interested in. I want to see him create the actual engine base from the ground up.

"The good thing about scaling down the graphics is, I don't really have to draw good graphics!"

Jasoco

Banned
Thanks so much! So glad someone recorded it! I assume it ends just where the first TwitchTV stream picks up?

Though, did the uploader have to watermark it with their name? They didn't even make the content. And what a stupid location for it. Sheesh.

Have tried 3 times, just got the yellow ghost to the box and died. ARHG. Got the 12 trinkets too. Oh well, another try 8)

this game rules

edit: 4th try:

c3wC9.jpg

I am pretty sure there are 4 potions and 4 pistol rounds (but the pistol rounds are pretty much useless anyway :p)

Hopefully Notch ads some new missions someday but it's doubtful

donarumo said:
With some Chip's Challenge thrown in.

YES! The second round of the 4 we played was my girlfriend playing and I said to her in the ice part that "THIS IS TOTALLY LIKE CHIPS CHALLENGE!" heh

I used to love that game, it was the first game I ever wrote a review to too.

Xun

PetriP-TNT said:
Hopefully Notch ads some new missions someday but it's doubtful
If he spent the time I reckon he could produce a very good Zelda-like game.

Make it happen Notch!

Drakken

Wow, this is really cool, especially considering the time limit he was working with.

donarumo said:
With some Chip's Challenge thrown in.

Yes! I felt like I was playing Chip's Challenge in 3D.

EDIT: And yes, I would totally play a full game like this.

Ugh, I was supposed to be part of the ld challenge too, but the Touchpads had me sidetracked. :(

Now I can't vote on the games, but oh well. Notch's game looks cool, I'm sure other people made cool ones, too.

celebi23

After some messing around in Eclipse, I've got a Mac OS X application bundle version working. If anyone wants, I can upload it to my dropbox account or something.

Jasoco

Banned
celebi23 said:
After some messing around in Eclipse, I've got a Mac OS X application bundle version working. If anyone wants, I can upload it to my dropbox account or something.
Yeah, do it. I can't seem to get the downloadable HTML embedded version or even the JAR that comes with it running at all. Only if I play it online. Upload it. Could be cool.

wolfmat said:
Quick 'n dirty:
— Make a new Java project (name doesn't matter; I think JSE 1.6 and up should be fine)
— Import the source from the ZIP you downloaded
— Copy all the subfolders in /res/ to /src/ (or adjust the path stuff, your call)

Resulting folder structure:
JuZiw.png

At this point, it should run fine. "Run As..." etc
Thanks, that did the trick. I couldn't get the program to compile because it wouldn't find the resource folder and I didn't know how to adjust the path to make it work.

Jasoco

Banned
celebi23 said:
That was my problem as well. It seems if the jar file is in an OS X application wrapper, it runs perfectly fine. Here's the link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gr71j3wy5goqntb/Prelude of the Chambered.zip

Let me know how it works
It works great! I got all the way up to the Flippers but when it switched to them automatically, I forgot I needed to switch back to the fist since I was out of bullets and Swamp Thing killed me immediately. 6 golden cups. Great game! I hope he expands it.

celebi23

Jasoco said:
It works great! I got all the way up to the Flippers but when it switched to them automatically, I forgot I needed to switch back to the fist since I was out of bullets and Swamp Thing killed me immediately. 6 golden cups. Great game! I hope he expands it.
Glad it worked for you. Yeah, I keep on dying at the Zombie (or whatever it is) boss.

xir

Likely to be eaten by a grue
makes me happy to think what minecraft + story/game patch will be like.

Everything is traditional but everything is good.

celebi23 said:
Glad it worked for you. Yeah, I keep on dying at the Zombie (or whatever it is) boss.

Some (pro) tips from me:

After finishing the ice dungeon, get the clippers and backtrack ice dungeon and prison.

There are 4 potions and 4 pistols to be found (AFAIK) and the pistol rounds are pretty much worthless and potions are godlike

Versus zombies (especially the boss) just run right next to them and smash smash smash. You will lose life but most likely 2 or 3 times less you would lose by trying to dodge the bullets. Pistol is usually too unaccurate to finish them, I just used them on the two on the yard.

:)

celebi23

Was soo close to beating it. Not sure if it's necessary but, I'll put spoiler tags on the following:
That ghost boss destroyed me. I had no problem finding it, it was just leading the final boss back to the ghost box thing without getting lost & it killing me.

Top Bottom