• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Notch (Mojang, Minecraft) creates a new game live - Weekend Fun!

Uniracers

I know it's probably a long shot, but did anyone archive the original Livestream? I missed the beginning and would've liked to see it.

Venfayth

Uniracers said:
I know it's probably a long shot, but did anyone archive the original Livestream? I missed the beginning and would've liked to see it.

I want to say that it would have been deleted when he deleted his stream and since he deleted it while he was streaming it'd be impossible to recover, but I don't have an intimate knowledge with the livestream website so I can't say for sure, that's just my hunch.

Sorry :(

Utako

Banned
It's a bit obvious that he's rewriting some of the Minecraft logic verbatim. :p

Uniracers said:
http://no.twitch.tv/realnotch

In the video list, there seem to be videos from earlier on. Not sure if they reach back to the beginning.

raphier

Banned
Utako said:
It's a bit obvious that he's rewriting some of the Minecraft logic verbatim. :p

http://no.twitch.tv/realnotch

In the video list, there seem to be videos from earlier on. Not sure if they reach back to the beginning.
this is a 2D trick ala Doom. Minecraft is absolutely differently made. I think it's because of Notch's artstyle, more like, that the games even have anything alike.

But I do see where you are coming from. I guess he's using what he knows for the best.

Utako

Banned
raphier said:
this is a 2D trick ala Doom. Minecraft is absolutely differently made. I think it's because of Notch's artstyle, more like, that the games even have anything alike.

But I do see where you are coming from. I guess he's using what he knows for the best.
Graphics engine, sure. I was talking about something like enemy collision detection. The manner in which he wrote it tells me that Minecraft is rather similar, even though I've never seen its source.

Man

A horror game:

notch6.jpg

You have the prison level, the dungeon and starry skies.

bengraven

:O

Is that eye symbol the number of people watching? That can't be. I don't care how popular a gaming dev is. That can't be right.

646,167 people watching if so.

SappYoda said:
Its a mix between Wolfenstein3D and Metroid :O

I can't wait.

Same.

Pisses me off I can't do this.

Carl said:
Most of this goes way over my head, but wow it's hypnotising to watch. Wish i could do stuff like this

I bet the majority of people watching his stream have been inspired to try and design their own game in Eclipse. I've already downloaded that and paint.net lol.

bengraven said:

Is that eye symbol the number of people watching? That can't be. I don't care how popular a gaming dev is. That can't be right.

I believe that's how many people have viewed his channel. The symbol of a person is how many people are watching. It's averaging around 10-11k users.

f0rk

bengraven said:

It's the total views.

Rapstah

I really wonder if he'll try to re-do the lighting engine from earlier now or go for level design with the occasional new enemy.

EDIT: Oh, bosses. So the latter then.

SappYoda

bengraven said:

11,371 people watching right now.

631,817 people entered the channel.

[Nintex]

bengraven said:

Same.

Pisses me off I can't do this.
Nah about 11k are watching right now the other number is the total ammount of hits on the page.

I've watched quite a bit of this and I messed around with Java before but Notch's speed is incredible. Sometimes he pauses for like 2 seconds to write yet another line of code. If I would hit a wall during coding it would take me at least 2 hours to get back on track again lol.

cremebox

Neo Member
It really is hypnotic to watch notch code. I know that this may not be the right place to ask this, but where would someone start off, if they're interested in programming? There seems to be so many different languages, that it's a little dizzying to focus on where to start. Plus any sites/books that are really good for beginners would be fantastic!

Rapstah

StickSoldier said:
I'm sure he is if he has time available. Does anyone know how many hours he has left?
Ludum Dare 21 Compo ends in 6 hours, 55 minutes, 59 seconds
Ludum Dare 21 Jam ends in 1 day, 6 hours, 55 minutes, 59 seconds

From http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/ - I don't know if he's in the jam or competition.

EDIT: In fact there's no mention of "Notch", "Mojang" or his name on the list of current entries.

bathala

Banned
this is awesome. Last time I saw it, it was just few blocks of smiley face

hahaha instead of red screen of blood.

black pixels when u die

YoungFa

Rapstah said:
Ludum Dare 21 Compo ends in 6 hours, 55 minutes, 59 seconds
Ludum Dare 21 Jam ends in 1 day, 6 hours, 55 minutes, 59 seconds

From http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/ - I don't know if he's in the jam or competition.

EDIT: In fact there's no mention of "Notch", "Mojang" or his name on the list of current entries.
Since he's working alone he is obviously doing competition. He has 48 hours to create a game, that means the deadline is depending on when he started. Of course there isn't an entry because the game is still in developement...

Rapstah

YoungFa said:
Since he's working alone he is obviously competition. He has 48 hours to create a game, that means the deadline is depending on when he started. Of course there isn't an entry because the game is still in developement...
Well there's the end deadline that he still needs to have his code done by. He will hit that before he uses up his 48 hours.

Dachande

cremebox said:
It really is hypnotic to watch notch code. I know that this may not be the right place to ask this, but where would someone start off, if they're interested in programming? There seems to be so many different languages, that it's a little dizzying to focus on where to start. Plus any sites/books that are really good for beginners would be fantastic!

Get a book like the Dummies Guide to C++ and plough through it from start to finish. Java, C++ and C# are some of the main languages used these days and they're structurally similar enough that if you learn one of them to a high enough level, you can adapt to another very easily given a couple of days.

If you're a total beginner and want to try making games specifically, look into playing with and going through online tutorials with something like Construct or Flixel and see where you go from there. If you really get into it with their BASIC-like languages, you can progress into something more involved like the above. There's more than one way to do this though.

Rapstah

That ghost design is genious if it's the final thing. If you're calm you can get away from them without any damage, but try to outrun them and you'll die.

Venfayth

If anyone wants to know how he's getting the soundeffects, I'd check out the stream now. He's using a program called sfxr

AcciDante

Man, this looks pretty neat. As someone who's learning how to program and would like to eventually do things like this, my favorite part was actually seeing the art/sound. For some reason, I always worried about having to get people to do my art and sound, but the simple pixel art and that little sound maker seem to do the job just fine. (for a little game like this)

Blizzard

Banned
Acullis said:
If anyone wants to know how he's getting the soundeffects, I'd check out the stream now. He's using a program called sfxr
Wow, that's really cool, thanks. Almost seems like it's cheating since someone made it for a previous ludum dare, but I guess there's a line between what you can create and what's an existing tool. :p

AcciDante said:
Man, this looks pretty neat. As someone who's learning how to program and would like to eventually do things like this, my favorite part was actually seeing the art/sound. For some reason, I always worried about having to get people to do my art and sound, but the simple pixel art and that little sound maker seem to do the job just fine. (for a little game like this)

I know the feeling, they way I always work is getting the basic programmer art done so I can at least get the game working. Then its much easier to get people to help with art/sound as they can see it taking shape.

Blizzard

Banned
It looks like he just did a runthrough of the entire game, or almost the entire thing before he had to restart due to changing something or fixing a sound effect.

It almost looks like a first-person Link's Awakening dungeon game. :D The yellow ghost near the end was crazy.

Xun

Blizzard said:
It looks like he just did a runthrough of the entire game, or almost the entire thing before he had to restart due to changing something or fixing a sound effect.

It almost looks like a first-person Link's Awakening dungeon game. :D The yellow ghost near the end was crazy.
I was thinking that too.

Blizzard said:

Before he started the actual coding yesterday an was still tossing about ideas he mentioned how we had been replaying that a lot recently, so there is some connection.

AcciDante said:
Yeah, I've worried about that as well (more about the art because I can't draw for shit) but the pixel art seems to work fine. Seeing him program is very impressive, he's extremely fast and everything works almost instantly. That Eclipse Hot Code Replace thing looks sexy too, I wish VS 2010 had that.

Venfayth

close to the edge said:
Yeah, I've worried about that as well (more about the art because I can't draw for shit) but the pixel art seems to work fine. Seeing him program is very impressive, he's extremely fast and everything works almost instantly. That Eclipse Hot Code Replace thing looks sexy too, I wish VS 2010 had that.

Yeah the hot code replace thing is amazing.

This is really good inspiration for me to want to start trying to program again x_x

I've gone through the basics a billion times and even took a data structures course at my college but my biggest problem is not committing to whatever I'm working on. I give up after a couple days or so, lol.

edit: also he was watching the 100% quake done quickest speedrun while he was eating, I feel like he may have drawn some inspiration from that as well :D

Acullis said:
Yeah the hot code replace thing is amazing.

This is really good inspiration for me to want to start trying to program again x_x

I've gone through the basics a billion times and even took a data structures course at my college but my biggest problem is not committing to whatever I'm working on. I give up after a couple days or so, lol.
Yeah, it's hard to stay committed when you're the only one doing a project. You can try smaller stuff at first like some of the easier Project Euler problems and then move to bigger stuff. I did a bunch of those last summer and it's pretty fun and rewarding.

Truespeed

close to the edge said:

I think Hotspot is kind of unique to languages that use VM's.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
I've hopped in and out of that stream all weekend watching an hour here and there and now he's nearly done I gotta say I'm incredibly impressed.

He's actually given me a greater confidence in my own programming in general, but certainly has highlighted the one thing he "has" that I don't is an absolute ability to just focus and do, rather than procrastinate, in fact I'm in awe, period.

Top Bottom