• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Notch (Mojang, Minecraft) creates a new game live - Weekend Fun!

Venfayth

Livestream is scum, holy shit, jtv doesn't even charge you ANYTHING

notch Markus Persson
I deleted the channel myself to stop any further costs. It got WAAAY out of hand, haha
2 minutes ago

notch Markus Persson
trying other alternatives to that stream.. haha. Hold on. :D
3 minutes ago

notch Markus Persson
Switching from Livestream IMMEDIATELY, haha. :D Wow, that got expensive.

Blizzard

Banned
Acullis said:

notch Markus Persson
I deleted the channel myself to stop any further costs. It got WAAAY out of hand, haha
2 minutes ago

notch Markus Persson
trying other alternatives to that stream.. haha. Hold on. :D
3 minutes ago

notch Markus Persson
Switching from Livestream IMMEDIATELY, haha. :D Wow, that got expensive.
He said on the stream that justin TV was also expensive, so maybe it's the HD plan that's expensive. Also someone was saying the overage on livestream was the problem, so if he'd gone with the more "expensive" plan it might have just been a few hundred.

Venfayth

Blizzard said:
He said on the stream that justin TV was also expensive, so maybe it's the HD plan that's expensive. Also someone was saying the overage on livestream was the problem, so if he'd gone with the more "expensive" plan it might have just been a few hundred.

I can broadcast on JTV at HD qualities for free, so I don't know what he's talking about.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Acullis said:
Being a live video streaming provider ain't cheap. They're not scum, it's fair to charge for services.

Truespeed

Blizzard said:
Something like "This is BAD collision detection...but it actually works! IT WORKS!" XD

*edit* Editing code on the fly is awesome. Visual Studio has some sort of option to let you do that, doesn't it? Does Netbeans, or is this an Eclipse and/or Java extension-specific thing?

It's either the default Hotspot compiler or JRebel. The problem with Hotspot is that if you add, change, delete a method or class you need to do a full recompile. JRebel eliminates this.

Echoplx

livestream.com may be expensive but from my experience at least it's much more pleasant to watch streams there then justin.tv

Venfayth

wolfmat said:
Being a live video streaming provider ain't cheap. They're not scum, it's fair to charge for services.

Maybe I misunderstood if they charge you for a channel that doesn't have adds, that's understandable.

But like I said, JTV doesn't cost anyone a cent aside from the cost of buying your own streaming software, tons of people MAKE money off of streaming.

raphier said:
with >10,000 viewers? :p

Tons of streamers make money with >10,000 viewers, not me in particular, but check out SC2 streams and some popular gaming streams, it doesn't cost you a penny. You make money off of ad revenue that JTV shares.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Acullis said:
Maybe I misunderstood if they charge you for a channel that doesn't have adds, that's understandable.

But like I said, JTV doesn't cost anyone a cent aside from the cost of buying your own streaming software, tons of people MAKE money off of streaming.
JTV has a different business model.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
If he had 10,000 viewers, for 4 hours...and he had their mid-tier plan...his built-in 3,000 viewer hours would have been used in 20 mins. For 3 hours, 20 mins, he'd have been charged $0.27 per hour per user.

That = ~$9,000 , unless I misunderstand what a viewer-hour is.

edit - also, it's totally fine LiveStream charging. People have options, if they choose to use LiveStream, that's their prerogative. As far as I understand, LiveStream gives a lot of control that other services may not.

Rapstah

gofreak said:
If he had 10,000 viewers, for 4 hours...and he had their mid-tier plan...his built-in 3,000 viewer hours would have been used in 20 mins. For 3 hours, 20 mins, he'd have been charged $0.27 per hour per user.

Well he said right before he quit that he was up to 17 000 viewer hours. I have no idea how it only got to that, maybe the counter is behind an hour or two?

Venfayth

gofreak said:

Okay, someone apologize this, please.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Acullis said:
There is no "and". It's a different business model. Both monetize their services somehow though, and both aim for profit. Otherwise they wouldn't exist.

JTV restricts viewership to maximize ad yield, for instance. That's a bit more scummy from my POV, but I see where they're coming from.

gofreak said:

It's just the number of hours accumulated from all viewers. Nothing complicated. So (17000 viewer hours - 3000 base hours given with Premium) * $0.27 + $350 (monthly fee) = ~180 copies of Minecraft.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Rapstah said:
Well he said right before he quit that he was up to 17 000 viewer hours. I have no idea how it only got to that, maybe the counter is behind an hour or two?

Yeah, that doesn't sound right...he was on for nearly 4 hours, and it was always >= 10k viewers. Lucky for him if he 'only' pays for 17k though. Still $4500 though.

Truespeed

Rapstah said:

That or the viewers watching in HD accounted for more than a regular viewing hour.

Venfayth

wolfmat said:
There is no "and". It's a different business model. Both monetize their services somehow though, and both aim for profit. Otherwise they wouldn't exist.

JTV restricts viewership to maximize ad yield, for instance. That's a bit more scummy from my POV, but I see where they're coming from.

I said "And?" because you quoted me and I couldn't see how what you were saying was related to what I was.

What you're saying makes sense, but I disagree that JTV's business model is "more scummy". It's beneficial to its users. The worst anyone has to put up with is watching advertisements, and hell, you can block a lot of those. A few people have even made careers off of streaming through JTV. I don't see anyone doing the same with livestream. From a purely business standpoint they're only benefiting themselves, while JTV benefits itself and its streamers.

vvv Thanks ToyBroker :)

Venfayth

gofreak said:
And it's kind of immediately obvious what the difference with LiveStream is, but as a viewer I'm not complaining too much :p

The reason this doesn't bother me is because generally the streams I watch have ad revenue bonuses that go directly to the people streaming and I'm happy to support them. I'll even leave my browser open to watch streams that I follow when I'm away from my computer.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Q09cR.png

This is JTV's viewership restriction. So that's better? I don't know. Certainly different.

Translation:
"Watch what you want, without intermissions.

The maximum number of streams for your country has been reached. Blabla premium, money, no ads, $9.99 a month"

Rapstah

will52 said:
...or you could, you know, get the minecraft adventure update finished.
He always enters Ludum Dare, and there are other people working at his company now too. And it's the weekend!

Top Bottom