• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Notch (Mojang, Minecraft) creates a new game live - Weekend Fun!

Rapstah

Man said:
The speed at which he draw fonts (using Paint.NET) is admirable.
He has to have done these for hundreds of years. I would've taken ten times as long and missed half the letters too.

Rapstah

gofreak said:
Why did he permanently delete his livestream channel?

Couldn't he have just stopped that one stream?
People watching saved videos in HD would take up some bandwidth for the company too. I guess.

I had a few Java classes myself (very basic stuff), but what this guy does is like wizardry to me. Really amazing.

I guess I just never watched someone actually program something live, but it's really fascinating.

Man

snack.jpg

Rapstah

Ah, cool, is he doing the Wolfenstein style level file format where every pixel colour holds a value for the corresponding coordinate in game? I wonder how he'll do items and enemies with that since there needs to be floor underneath them too.

EDIT: Oh, stupid of me. Obviously there's floor under everything since the engine just renders the floor underneath everything else.

"Livestream is ass and has been ass for years."

It's more half-assed than mostly-assed like the years before. We'll reach the golden age of live streaming soon! Prospects so far is YouTube dropping a bomb on us when it's ready.

edit: oh, and he's back to work on the game. I wonder what magical snacks he had that negated any drowsiness afterwards.

Emitan

Goddamit. I can program decently in C++ (Software Engineering was my major for 2 years before dropping :( ) and I don't even have the faintest idea of how to program a game engine.

Blizzard

Banned
Grinchy said:
What is it about chat boxes that naturally attracts the world's dumbest people?
It's impressive he can keep working while tired, ignoring the chat. Hopefully he just closed it or something.

Breakable blocks and jail cell doors and a more interesting level layout! It really does look Minecraft-ish. Maybe he just makes the same game each time. ;p (I think his last weekend game was actually a different game style though)

bengraven

Of course it's going to look Minecraft-like. It's an entirely different game though. Looks like a Daggerfall like dungeon explorer.

Toppot

BlueMagic said:
What happened to the stream?
The original one cost Notch $4,000 so he stopped it and moved to Justin TV. Its 1am there so he has gone to bed. He should continue streaming tomorrow.

BlueMagic

Quote said:
I imagine 8 hours like a normal person? What kind of question is that?
Well, given that he's in a competition to make a game in 2 days, it wouldn't be so rare if he decided to sleep 5 or 6 hours instead of 8.

Man

Notch is now live again: http://no.twitch.tv/realnotch

The Luma Dare challenge has people creating a game within 48 hours.

Summary of yesterday:
- Created a 3D(2.5D) engine from scratch
- Lost $4000 in his first streaming session (choosed the wrong service supplier)
- Collision detection is in
- Level layout is determined by a bitmap
- Added movable entities right before going to bed

Man

He is making tools now:

notch4.jpg

Also, he has already implemented the ability to roll (animating) steel spheres into holes so progress can be made.

Ydahs

Wow, it's come a fair way. Had to call it a day last night and than found out he deleted his livestream. Will need catch up on those two hours.

Ydahs

Oh man, the comments on the live stream.

This guy sums it up: "if Notch would read all your comments he would have an urge to hang himself. Thank God he is too busy coding."

I've had the stream on for a while now and damn. That chat is so dumb. I really hope that doesn't represent the average Minecraft customer or I feel sorry for Notch.

Banzaiaap said:
I've had the stream on for a while now and damn. That chat is so dumb. I really hope that doesn't represent the average Minecraft customer or I feel sorry for Notch.
The amount of stupidity in a stream chat channel increases exponentially with the number of people. Usually, if around 500-1000 people or less watch a stream, it's fine and I actually enjoy it. (at least with SC2 streams) Above that, it's usually better to just turn off the chat as to not lose your sanity.

Rapstah

He spent like an hour and a half on coding really awesome lighting, and had it running perfectly with no aliasing issues and still at around 380 FPS, but removed it for whatever reason. :(

Toppot

Rapstah said:
He spent like an hour and a half on coding really awesome lighting, and had it running perfectly with no aliasing issues and still at around 380 FPS, but removed it for whatever reason. :(

I don't think it was working perfectly was it? I thought it had difficulties going through the transparency in the bars. But I think he's gonna put it in and try and get it working later if he can.

Glasswork

Banzaiaap said:

A bunch of people keep saying how 1.8 looks great
I'm really not sure if they're trolling :|

Venfayth

Glasswork said:
A bunch of people keep saying how 1.8 looks great
I'm really not sure if they're trolling :|

Are YOU? :D

edit: Oh. I get the joke now. Like I said, I just woke up >_<

I just woke up and took a look at his update screenshots, this game is looking awesome already, I actually kind of want to play it haha.

edit: just realized in my last edit I referenced myself before I actually establish the context for the reference. how post-modern of me.

Ydahs

He's live again. Added an ice part to the game, similar to those found in Pokemon gyms and caves.

Funny thing is that this engine is good enough for an actual game. Lots of elements added to it already.

I'd love to see what other developers in this contest have come up with so far.

Top Bottom