• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Notch (Mojang, Minecraft) creates a new game live - Weekend Fun!

As someone who's crammed Java projects into 48 hours before, its kind of depressing to realise how low my skills actually are aha. On the plus side, it has revived my interest in Electronic music!

Grinchy

Banned
I don't know why I just get a blank screen telling me I need Java. I must have Java already. Going to check.

edit- well the java site says I don't have it, so alright i'll download it again

Grinchy said:
I don't know why I just get a blank screen telling me I need Java. I must have Java already. Going to check.

edit- well the java site says I don't have it, so alright i'll download it again

I think it's out of date, that's the message I got.

oh, just saw edit.

la_briola

I found a bug. There are two doors in the dungeon level that leads to the potion and pistol chest, the doors doesn't need to be opened to open the chest. When you press `space`, you receive the item.

Grinchy

Banned
cr_blah_blah said:
I think it's out of date, that's the message I got.

oh, just saw edit.
Yep, must have been something along those lines.

The game is actually kind of fun lol. The ice cave...nice idea.

Crazy to think he made this in such a short amount of time. It's nothing amazing, but I'm sure with more time he could of done some good things with it.

Toppot

Very impressive for 2 days work. Same bug as above with getting potion and pistol from behind door. But also if you place a boulder under/near the ladder in dungeon, you can go up ladder but when you go back down you get stuck.

o4OW9.png

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
Oh jeez. I just stared and found a bug in the boulder room. I found the punching power and punched the closest boulder which flew towards the ladder entrance. Tried to punch it out of the corner to no avail so I went back up. If you go down again you get stuck between the boulder and ladder. The game was made in 2 days though, so i gotta cut him some slack. It's been great watching him code it from scratch.

OUQUr.jpg

This reminds me of my first experience with minecraft. I was minding my own business collecting wood. A cow sneaks up from behind and nudges me and somehow I got stuck in the wood above me.

edit: Oh I see, other people got the same bug.

Toppot

Another small bug, in the theme of 'you can use things behind doors', I managed to lock myself in a small corridor behind a door because I hit the switch from the other side and didn't realize it xD

Grinchy said:
Notch isn't known for putting out games that still have bugs in them (lol)
22Trz.jpg

=P

taoofjord

Game is really nostalgic for me. Reminds me of a fun twist on my old favorite pc rpgs. A sort of Lands of Lore-ish game meets Zelda. Very awesome!

BY2K

Membero Americo
There's a room with a shitload of bats in the dungeon. I see no end to them, do I just keep punching?

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
BY2K said:
There's a room with a shitload of bats in the dungeon. I see no end to them, do I just keep punching?
one of them is golden and drops a key. but yeah, FUCK EM UPPP

Blizzard

Banned
Gassey said:
It's not really "from scratch" is it? Surely he took his mojang libraries with him.
As far as I know, he created all the classes from scratch, literally the entire engine just using standard Java classes. I didn't actually see what he used to draw stuff to the screen (presumably Java 3D?) but I suppose once the code is available we could check.

He actually did some crazy stuff like the lighting engine that he changed his mind about and didn't even use, right?

Blizzard

Banned
I take it back. After looking at the code, it looks like he didn't use much Java graphics API stuff. He literally appears to have gotten a pixel buffer and done all of the 3D math and engine stuff himself, but someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Blizzard said:
I take it back. After looking at the code, it looks like he didn't use much Java graphics API stuff. He literally appears to have gotten a pixel buffer and done all of the 3D math and engine stuff himself, but someone correct me if I'm wrong.

It was, quite literally, from scratch, no old code re-use etc.

Although it was fairly obvious both early on and later, that much of what he was writing was from memory from having previously written similar engines.

Blizzard said:
Did he release the source allready?

woolley

Feep said:
Was this stream recorded anywhere I could watch?
I don't think you can watch the beginning because he had to delete that channel while steaming but you should be able to get the rest on his twitch.tv channel in the OP.

Man

He did everything from scratch. Wrote the 3D math etc while we were all watching.
First day was spent on that, getting movable entities to work etc and then bam, rapid addition of all content and functionality on day 2.

i was very impressed how fast he draw those sprites. i mean he just did it without thinking about it and they look good. he's such a great guy, a millionaire that enters a small programming competition just for fun.

zkylon

zkylewd
Osiris said:
It was, quite literally, from scratch, no old code re-use etc.

Although it was fairly obvious both early on and later, that much of what he was writing was from memory from having previously written similar engines.
Yeah, i had programming teachers that coded in class 3D engines in C++ from memory so i'm sure that's how Notch did it. It never ceases to amaze me though.

Ydahs

Just played it. Very very impressive for 48 hours of work. Heck, if someone brought me to that and told me it was a month's work, using an engine programmed from scratch I'd be impressed.

Top Bottom