• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Vita PCH-2000 | Light and Slim. 6 Colors. No More OLED, Instead Cute Penguins

Meanwhile, all six 2000 models continue to climb the top 100 on Amazon Japan. Most of the reviews posted there have been glowingly positive as well.

Not to mention the FF X/X-2 bundle seems to be selling well with preorders too.

On another note, after seeing the light blue Vita in videos, I think the Black/Khaki is going to be my main Vita.

The FF X/X-2 is selling strong on Amazon Japan.

Really looking forward to next week's sales numbers. Hoping to see something in the 120-150k range.

VXLbeast

The FF X/X-2 is selling strong on Amazon Japan.

Really looking forward to next week's sales numbers. Hoping to see something in the 120-150k range.

I'm glad for the general praise it's getting, and it does look quite nice, but those numbers you are hoping for are simply impossible. I'd love for numbers like that to happen, but it's just not feasible.

Going to jump on this when it hits the states. It'll be sad to see OLED go (I don't have a vita yet) but maybe it'll make a return as a more mature technology in the Vita-3000 or even the successor (if there is one). I feel as if Sony was on the right track with the "screen of the future," but it's not exactly there yet. At least, based on all the horror stories.

edit: this is not meant to start another OLED vs LCD fight, but rather show that there IS a market for people who wanted a Vita but were hesitant on the OLED's lifespan and stuff. There are a lot of people scoffing at the change, but a lot of us who take this as a sign that it's time to jump in.

Going to jump on this when it hits the states. It'll be sad to see OLED go (I don't have a vita yet) but maybe it'll make a return as a more mature technology in the Vita-3000 or even the successor (if there is one). I feel as if Sony was on the right track with the "screen of the future," but it's not exactly there yet. At least, based on all the horror stories.

edit: this is not meant to start another OLED vs LCD fight, but rather show that there IS a market for people who wanted a Vita but were hesitant on the OLED's lifespan and stuff. There are a lot of people scoffing at the change, but a lot of us who take this as a sign that it's time to jump in.

I think most that have had their hands on it say it is not a dramatic downgrade, and worth the trade off for improving the design elsewhere.

SteveWD40

Any guesses on NA/EU release? I am not as fussed about the screen but having big hands I prefer the 2000's smaller rear pad / better grips and the 64GB card will be a must.

I hope they are not trying to drain all the old stock first...

Glad I have the original and need that 64GB Memory Card have held off buying any memory cards, which is part of the reason why the Vita doesn't get touched.

When the PS4 is out, it will be used more and PS Plus means I really don't need to buy anything other than a very large memory card.

kuppy

Thank you, Kevin, for this thread and your videos, really enjoyed these. You seem to be pretty happy with the new model so I guess that speaks for itself.

Thank you, Kevin, for this thread and your videos, really enjoyed these. You seem to be pretty happy with the new model so I guess that speaks for itself.

I put about an hour of play across some Vita, PSP, and PS1 games and yes, I am really happy with it.

Again it comes down to a minimal downgrade in the screen for a much improved design and feel. Extended play doesn't have my hands cramping up like on the old console.

balohna

Memory cards overriding the internal is pretty terrible. Like, you're gonna want more than 1 GB but it would be nice to be able to use that extra GB. Especially when memory cards are so expensive, it would be pretty bullshit if you downloaded a game that kicked you juuuuust over the limit and you know that 1 GB is there but can't be used.

Added two more videos with hands on impressions of my new PS Vita 2000s.

Here are all three:

Unboxing and Hands on 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72AZBxSgVkQ

Unboxing the Light Blue Vita 2000: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaYnIe-lYr0

More indepth look at the PS Vita 2000 after I transferred content to the 64GB card: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZXV4jaeKYY

Nice, thanks for these. The khaki one looks so good. goddamn.

Does amazon jp ship internationally? Or did you use a proxy service? I've never imported anything from japan, so I was wondering if I can buy stuff on other sites besides play-asia which charges premiums.

Nice, thanks for these. The khaki one looks so good. goddamn.

Does amazon jp ship internationally? Or did you use a proxy service? I've never imported anything from japan, so I was wondering if I can buy stuff on other sites besides play-asia which charges premiums.

A friend living in Japan bought and shipped them to me.

B.K.

Where's a good place to import the 64GB memory card? I can't believe Sony still hasn't announced the memory card or the 2000 for North American and Europe yet.

After spending some time with the Vita 2000, some more thoughts on headphone output power, speakers, FASTER WIFI?, how PSP/PS1 games look, screen brightness, long play sessions, and more:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fg0L5BvYC10

Here are the other 3 unboxing and hands on videos I did if you missed them:

Unboxing and Hands on 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72AZBxSgVkQ

Unboxing the Light Blue Vita 2000: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaYnIe-lYr0

More indepth look at the PS Vita 2000 after I transferred content to the 64GB card: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZXV4jaeKYY

Magusx

Can anyone tell me if the X and O button is switched with this?
If yes, is it possible to change it and is it also switched in games or only in menu?

Can anyone tell me if the X and O button is switched with this?
If yes, is it possible to change it and is it also switched in games or only in menu?
Like all japanese Vitas, yes. It can not be changed but it is just for menu stuff to accept and to go back.

OmahaG8

I think most that have had their hands on it say it is not a dramatic downgrade, and worth the trade off for improving the design elsewhere.

Not to be stupid - but I haven't checked in on Vita 2.0 since it was announced and OLED going missing was still doom and gloom. What's the improvements in other areas? I could look on my own, but. . .

Edit: I read further up the page. I was a bit lazy for my own tastes there.

hongcha

My black 2000 finally arrived today. I've played around with it for the past hour, here are some brief initial impressions.

First, it feels fantastic. The rubberised grip on the back of the unit makes holding it very comfortable, and the button placement is great. The 1000 feels clunky in comparison. The L/R triggers are noticeably improved, and the face buttons feel a bit more clicky. The dpad feels a tad bit looser than the 1000, overall they are extremely close but right now if I had to choose which dpad I like better I'd go with the 1000. Overall the 2000 is the clear winner in comfort, and this is a big deal for me as I don't enjoy playing uncomfortable handhelds (such as the Vita 1000 and OG 3DS) for extended periods of time.

The screen looks far better in person than in any pictures or video posted online, which is why I am not going to bother posting pictures here. The colours are more subdued compared to the 1000's OLED, but it is a sharp, vibrant, high quality LCD with no ghosting or other noticeable flaws. Great viewing angles too, and no perceptible input lag. Side by side, the main difference I notice between the 1000's screen and the 2000's screen is the 1000 is brighter, with colours that feel oversaturated with a bit too much contrast. The 2000, on the other hand, sometimes feels like the colours are a bit too subdued. Something in between the two screens would be ideal, but this is really just being nitpicky. They are both great screens in their own ways. In fact, I have found PSP games look better on the 2000's screen, perhaps because the OLED exposes more of the artifacts/problems with the original graphics?

One thing that really stood out in my comparison was the difference in speaker quality. The 2000 model is so improved in this regard, it blew me away. The speakers are placed better so your thumbs do not block them (a problem on the 1000), but that is not all: the volume is nearly doubled, and the clarity of sound has been improved tremendously. Richer bass, clearer high tones, etc. I always had to use headphones on my 1000 because the speakers were such garbage, but not anymore with my 2000.

The feel in the hands, the thinness, the light weight, the microUSB charging, the extra hour of battery life, and the vastly superior audio quality make the 2000 model the clearly superior one for me. The screen is still wonderful, it's just not OLED. It's on par with the ipad Mini screen, for example. If you can deal with that, you'll love this. If all you care about is an OLED screen, you'll want to stick with your 1000. That's pretty much all it comes down to in the end.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Wow that impression really makes me want to pick one up.

How are the analog sticks now, is the dead zone improved over the 1000? I'm not sure if it's just mine but on my 1000 I can noticeably wiggle the analog sticks lightly without any feedback in-game and it makes them feel kind of "loose". Does the 2000 have the same issues?

hongcha

How are the analog sticks now, is the dead zone improved over the 1000? I'm not sure if it's just mine but on my 1000 I can noticeably wiggle the analog sticks lightly without any feedback in-game and it makes them feel kind of "loose". Does the 2000 have the same issues?

You can wiggle the 2000's analog sticks a tiny bit without any in-game feedback, but they don't wiggle as much as the 1000's. So it appears they improved them in this regard. Otherwise, the sticks feel about the same on both models.

It sounds like everything but the screen is an improvement, and even the screen isn't a major step down.

Still, it would be nice if they could offer a version with the OLED screen, maybe the WiFi/3G model if they make one in the new form factor. Even if it would mean trading away some of the increased battery life.

Yes Boss!

Thanks for all the videos Kevin!

System looks exactly what I figured. Better feel (which is paramount for a handheld) along with a much better size. Old PSP is crazy in build and gorgeous Sony style but ultimately it is too big for me...kinda like a relic that was designed during Sony's crummy period a few years back. 2000 seems more for today's market.

OLED is neither here nor there for me. I'll use the 1000 for big Vita titles and the 2000 for portability and everyday play. Can't wait till it gets announced for the rest of the world.

hongcha,

Good to hear about legacy titles. PS1 and PSP games did look great on OLED but ta bit chunky so I tend to use the smoothing for them. And, those are the types of games I play most on my Vita so LCD sounds better.

Between this and the Vita TV the platform looks to have another exciting year or two or three!

My black 2000 finally arrived today. I've played around with it for the past hour, here are some brief initial impressions.

First, it feels fantastic. The rubberised grip on the back of the unit makes holding it very comfortable, and the button placement is great. The 1000 feels clunky in comparison. The L/R triggers are noticeably improved, and the face buttons feel a bit more clicky. The dpad feels a tad bit looser than the 1000, overall they are extremely close but right now if I had to choose which dpad I like better I'd go with the 1000. Overall the 2000 is the clear winner in comfort, and this is a big deal for me as I don't enjoy playing uncomfortable handhelds (such as the Vita 1000 and OG 3DS) for extended periods of time.

The screen looks far better in person than in any pictures or video posted online, which is why I am not going to bother posting pictures here. The colours are more subdued compared to the 1000's OLED, but it is a sharp, vibrant, high quality LCD with no ghosting or other noticeable flaws. Great viewing angles too, and no perceptible input lag. Side by side, the main difference I notice between the 1000's screen and the 2000's screen is the 1000 is brighter, with colours that feel oversaturated with a bit too much contrast. The 2000, on the other hand, sometimes feels like the colours are a bit too subdued. Something in between the two screens would be ideal, but this is really just being nitpicky. They are both great screens in their own ways. In fact, I have found PSP games look better on the 2000's screen, perhaps because the OLED exposes more of the artifacts/problems with the original graphics?

One thing that really stood out in my comparison was the difference in speaker quality. The 2000 model is so improved in this regard, it blew me away. The speakers are placed better so your thumbs do not block them (a problem on the 1000), but that is not all: the volume is nearly doubled, and the clarity of sound has been improved tremendously. Richer bass, clearer high tones, etc. I always had to use headphones on my 1000 because the speakers were such garbage, but not anymore with my 2000.

The feel in the hands, the thinness, the light weight, the microUSB charging, the extra hour of battery life, and the vastly superior audio quality make the 2000 model the clearly superior one for me. The screen is still wonderful, it's just not OLED. It's on par with the ipad Mini screen, for example. If you can deal with that, you'll love this. If all you care about is an OLED screen, you'll want to stick with your 1000. That's pretty much all it comes down to in the end.

Pretty much my exact thoughts after six days with my 2000.

My 1000 feels clunky and huge in comparison. The screen quality difference doesn't bother me. The LCD is sharp and quite nice. I also forgot what it's like to not have huge blotches on the screen every time a game went to black. Haha.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
The OLED is definitely a better screen than the 2000, but it's amazing how much better the 2000 looks than it does -out of the box- if you just drop the brightness down a notch or two.

Bought it because i want a light machine that i can just dump at work and download all the games i've already got to a second unit.

So now i have a White OLED and an all white 2000 for US, and a pair of black OLED. #Datvita? Dat Vita.

other minor downsides - my biggest grumble with Vita is actually the low volume output for headphones - i solved this with the OLED units by buying a pocket amp, ripping open a cradle and creating a horribly ghetto LOD and proceeding to TOUCH THE SKY whilst deafening myself. With the switch to the much more convenient B-type charge cable that avenue is gone - though, unless i'm crazy, the 2000 does seem a bit louder.

weevles

I'm ok with the OG Vita for now.

But if this gets any thinner, sexier, and cheaper, I may end up getting another as a backup.

Vashetti

Banned
Is the 64GB card noticeably faster than smaller ones?

I believe Eurogamer did a test with the other cards and concluded that the speeds get better the higher in storage size.

hongcha

The large and round start/select/PS buttons are so much better on the 2000. I never want to touch the 1000 buttons again. Just looking at those little hard-to-push ovals gives me the heebie-jeebies now.

Phii

Banned
Anyone knows if the WiFi-signal has been improved?

On PS Vita 1000 Im getting one "bar/line" out of three (Im sitting six metres away from the AP), so I cant play PSASBR online without lagg unless I am within two metres from the AP. Maybe Im doing it wrong.

Ty4on

2000 owners: How is the brightness on it? Like how bright is the brightest and how dark is the darkest compared to the 1000. In the 1000 the difference is next to nothing which annoys me in darkness and sunlight.

Top Bottom