• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Indies should definitely jump onto the PS Vita" - Retro City Rampage Developer

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
https://twitter.com/BriProv/status/306488818578620416

RCR dev + Zeboyd retweet:

RCR dev said:
Indies should definitely jump onto the PS Vita. RCR's sold much more on PSN than XBLA and more on PS Vita than even PS3.

RCR dev said:
@psnstores This doesn't include PS Plus. It's _SOLD_ far more on PSN than XBLA. With PS Plus, there are a bajillion more copies out there

RCR dev said:
@werezompire Steam's done far better than XBLA too, but PSN has still done the best.

Zeboyd said:
Robert Boyd ‏@werezompire
@BriProv Looks like we need to get our RPGs on Vita then. :)

RCR dev said:
Brian Provinciano ‏@BriProv
@mschimen Sony promoted the game incredibly well and Vita players are hungry for games! Make them more!

Zeboyd reaching out to Sony:

Apparently RCR sold better on PSN (especially Vita) than Steam or XBLA. @ShaneWatch we need to talk. :)

Shane Bettenhausen @ShaneWatch
@werezompire emailing!

I believe Brian Proviciano is doing a talk at GDC about this subject, according to his twitter feed it seems. Link: http://schedule.gdconf.com/session/14236342/One_Man,_17_SKUs:_Shipping_on_Every_Platform_at_Once

He seems very passionate about letting people know how his experience has been on the various platforms, and that what was once true 4 years ago isn't necessarily true now (about which platforms are the biggest/easiest to work with / generate the most revenue / etc). He seems to indicate that his dealings with Sony (and Nintendo and Valve) were extremely smooth and not overly burdensome or unnecessarily complicated.

Let's just say that hearing these things has stirred us at zeboyd a bit and we're going to take a far more serious look into these things that Brian has brought up. :)

Polytron (Makers of FEZ) getting in on that retweeting action:

Polytron said:
Nick Suttner ‏@nsuttner
Btw, indie devs: we're open, friendly, and we want you making games on ALL of our platforms. Hit me up and we'll get you started. Please RT!
Polytron said:
Indies should definitely jump onto the PS Vita. RCR's sold much more on PSN than XBLA and more on PS Vita than even PS3.

Developers also seem to get to the conclusion that this console is pretty nice to work with, here is an interview with the Just Add Water guys who made Strangers Wrath HD:
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/digitalfoundry-oddworld-vs-playstation-vita_8

All that on top of the news a while ago about games on Vita selling more than PS3 generally:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=514891
Digital business is the faster growing business," Yoshida said. "We do not publish numbers, but every month it's almost a new record that the purchase on Vita is higher than the PS3, because everything is available [digitally].""]"Digital business is the faster growing business," Yoshida said. "We do not publish numbers, but every month it's almost a new record that the purchase on Vita is higher than the PS3, because everything is available [digitally]."
So what are the implications of this? Indie games selling better on Steam or XBLA? Vita users have apparently a very sizeable buying power. This means devs make money on Vita, and therefore means more devs developing for Vita. The number of Indie devs that show their interest to support the Vita is steadily rising.

This also means that Vita is far from being dead, since this shows that more devs latch onto this platform since devs make MONEY on it. And if games sell well, Sony is of course making money too.

Come at me, GAF.
cZkT3wa.jpg

Update 1:
Some more goodies and a GAF mention

Quote:
Looks like our conversation earlier today attracted some interest at Neogaf - http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=516300 … @ShaneWatch @BriProv

Michael A Cunningham ‏@FinalMacstorm
@werezompire @ShaneWatch @BriProv I'm glad that others are showing their support. Like I said, if you build it, they will come.

@finalmacstorm @werezompire @ShaneWatch definitely!

@BriProv @werezompire @ShaneWatch Vita owners are the hardcore, so support them and they will support you.

bryan @ muteki ‏@mutekicorp
@FinalMacstorm @BriProv @werezompire @ShaneWatch Here's hoping!

@mutekicorp @BriProv @werezompire @ShaneWatch Just need the right backing to get noticed.
Michael Cunningham is Editor in Chief of RPGamer among other things. Sorry if that is hard to follow, but it is twitter.

bumpkin

My only complaint is that the Vita SDK is Windows-only. I don't want to buy a PC and I don't want to taint my Mac with Windows in any form. Rock and a hard place; living and dying by the sword.

Vita is a captivated audience ready for good games.

That's what I take out of it.

Also, in all seriousness, the competition on the Vita is much different than it is on Steam or XBLA, so it's easier for games like RCR to be noticed.

Skyzard

Banned
I only buy indie games on handhelds now anyway, they're a perfect match - preferably on Vita when it benefits a decent amount from proper controls. I'm rarely going to turn on the PS3/PC to play an indie these days.

RCR was even out on Vita like a month after everything else, after a quite a few negative experiences as well, pretty impressive. I did imagine it suiting the Vita perfectly when I saw the trailers for it ages before release though, so I can understand it. Took ages to come to EU as well.

Darknight

I really wanted to actually, you know, buy the damn game to own. PS+ doesnt let me do that. Sorry dev, -1 sale from me. Not that it matters but its irritating.

/end PS+ Rant

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
PS Vita would be an amazing platform for indies.

Popular Indie games that have been announced for Vita:
Hotline Miami
Bit.Trip Runner 2
Binding of Issac
Frozen Synapse
Dragon Fantasy
Lone Survivor
Velocity HD
Machinarium
Rainbow Moon
Starlight Inception
A Virus named Tom
Vektropolis
Divekick
Guacamelee!
Luftrausers
Snapshot
Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee New N' Tasty!
Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee HD

Kick Beat
Thomas was alone
Putty Squad

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I was so disappointed in this game after being super hyped about it previously.

It just didn't grab me by my nostalgia and fun balls like it seemed it could do.

I'm sure it will find some success on Vita though. It's a game.

Edit: well, this quickly devolved into bring x game on Vita please thread, as usual...

BosSin

A glimmer of hope in the dark coffin that is the Vita.

I'll just play Final Fantasy Tactics and Persona 4 for the first time on it while waiting for more games

Toma

I was so disappointed in this game after being super hyped about it previously.

It just didn't grab me by my nostalgia and fun balls like it seemed it could do.

Yeah, I didnt like the game either, but this thread isnt meant to discuss the quality of the game. Its about how games actually sell very well on this console. And even though I didnt like RCR, this actually makes me want to support the dev.

I think it was yoshida the other day who said Vita downloads are higher than on PS3, so we apparently buy stuff.

I would put that in the OP, could you link me?

SmokyDave

Really pleased to read this earlier. Hopefully some more indies dip a toe in the water and find success. Low prices and small file sizes make for an attractive combo on an expensive handheld with expensive memory.

I think it was yoshida the other day who said Vita downloads are higher than on PS3, so we apparently buy stuff.
The device is a joy to use, it's making me buy and try games I'd almost certainly skip on other platforms.

Skyzard

Banned
Hotline Miami
Bit.Trip
Binding of Issac
Frozen Synapse
Dragon Fantasy
Lone Survivor
Velocity HD
Machinarium
Rainbow Moon
Starlight Inception
A Virus named Tom
Vektropolis

Anyone know happened to Eufloria HD? It was announced so long ago, I ended up getting it on my Note II (android) which is a great fit. Good game for a semi-long, chilled journey.

Rad-

The game suits handhelds very well so I'm not surprised. Maybe slightly surprised that the PC version didn't sell that well (in comparison).

XBLA version's sales are pretty obvious. It came later and people had already heard that it just wasn't that good of a game -> dead hype.

Oddduck

Hotline Miami
Bit.Trip Runner 2
Binding of Issac
Frozen Synapse
Dragon Fantasy
Lone Survivor
Velocity HD
Machinarium
Rainbow Moon
Starlight Inception
A Virus named Tom
Vektropolis

I didn't mean Vita isn't already an amazing place for indies.

I just mean I hope they keep it up with the indie support.

Can't believe I'm saying this but I think I'm going to get a Vita over an iPhone. O.O The combination of Gaikai, PS4 & indie is irresistible. :3

Guevara

So GAF what indies should I be playing on my Vita? I'll pick up Hotline Miami and Binding of Isaac day one (I promise).

Genki

Hotline Miami
Bit.Trip
Binding of Issac
Frozen Synapse
Dragon Fantasy
Lone Survivor
Velocity HD
Machinarium
Rainbow Moon
Starlight Inception
A Virus named Tom
Vektropolis

Divekick (!!!)
Guacamelee!
Luftrausers
Snapshot
Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee New N' Tasty!
Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee HD

A few more. Dustforce might happen:

So I sent a mail to the developers of Dustforce about Vita, got this response:

Yeah, the Vita does seem to be a pretty good platform for Dustforce. You might see it happen sometime this year possibly.

I really wanted to actually, you know, buy the damn game to own. PS+ doesnt let me do that. Sorry dev, -1 sale from me. Not that it matters but its irritating.

/end PS+ Rant

Never thought of that - the BUY option is not there. But no offense, that is a really weird use case. Any rational consumer would play the game til plus ran out and then buy it. Or if you really want to tip the dev, Paypal him some money :)

Anyway, to get back more on topic, the attach rate for Vita must be phenomenal. Anecdotal, but everyone I know who has one has LOADS of game on it. We are insatiably hungry for games - feed us devs!

nampad

Great to hear that his game does so well. Will double dip on a lot of announced indie games. Only got them on Steam from Humble Bundle or Steamsale but most of the time I can't be bothered playing on my PC.

Was very hyped for this game on Vita and would have bought it right away if they didn't botched the EU release. After that I figured it might come to EU PS+ because it was on US PS+, got already burned with JSR.

Rafy

My only complaint is that the Vita SDK is Windows-only. I don't want to buy a PC and I don't want to taint my Mac with Windows in any form. Rock and a hard place; living and dying by the sword.

You can use monogame to port your game to Vita. They added a new runtime in the 8.0 version for Vita.Plus I read the PSM documentation a few days ago (I was thinking of making the leap) and it said that it basically support mono (don't remember if it was natively or emulation...I think natively.).Now with it becoming easier to publish on it every day I might change my mind about buying a Vita .

Toma

I didn't mean Vita isn't already an amazing place for indies.

I just mean I hope they keep it up with the indie support.

Haha, I just needed a reason to post that list, since I thought it didnt fit quite perfectly into the OP.

Divekick (!!!)
Guacamelee!
Luftrausers
Snapshot

A few more. Dustforce might happen:

Added :)

Hotline Miami
Bit.Trip Runner 2
Binding of Issac
Frozen Synapse
Dragon Fantasy
Lone Survivor
Velocity HD
Machinarium
Rainbow Moon
Starlight Inception
A Virus named Tom
Vektropolis
Divekick
Guacamelee!
Luftrausers
Snapshot

...did we ever get new info on Machinarium?

Seems like vita is carving itself a nice niche. Those games are mainly complimentary though I feel it's what's keeping the vita talk somewhat afloat.

Toma

So GAF what indies should I be playing on my Vita? I'll pick up Hotline Miami and Binding of Isaac day one (I promise).

Frozen Synapse once its out.

Currently for example: Velocity, Surge, Urban Trial Freestyle, Sound Shapes, Motorstorm RC, Sine Mora, Pure Chess, Hustle Kings, Strangers Wrath.

Rafy

Hotline Miami
Bit.Trip Runner 2
Binding of Issac
Frozen Synapse
Dragon Fantasy
Lone Survivor
Velocity HD
Machinarium
Rainbow Moon
Starlight Inception
A Virus named Tom
Vektropolis
Divekick
Guacamelee!
Luftrausers
Snapshot

Oh hell, I'll have to beat the 11th lvl again, I hate it!!!

Top Bottom