• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

16k sources: Trump fired Comey because Russia, leaks, and "wire tapp"

But the private accounts of more than 30 officials at the White House, the Justice Department, the FBI and on Capitol Hill, as well as Trump confidants and other senior Republicans, paint a conflicting narrative centered on the president’s brewing personal animus toward Comey. Many of those interviewed spoke on the condition of anonymity in order to candidly discuss internal deliberations.

Trump was angry that Comey would not support his baseless claim that President Barack Obama had his campaign offices wiretapped. He was frustrated when Comey revealed in Senate testimony the breadth of the counterintelligence investigation into Russia’s effort to sway the 2016 U.S. presidential election. And he fumed that Comey was giving too much attention to the Russia probe and not enough to investigating leaks to journalists.

First of all, 30 fucking sources!

Second of all, what the fuck.

In the weeks leading up to Comey’s firing, Trump administration officials had repeatedly urged the FBI to more aggressively pursue leak investigations, according to people familiar with the discussions. Administration officials sometimes sought to push the FBI to prioritize leak probes over the Russia interference case, and at other times urged the bureau to investigate disclosures of information that was not classified or highly sensitive and therefore did not constitute crimes, these people said.

Over time, administration officials grew increasingly dissatisfied with the FBI’s actions on that front. Comey’s appearances at congressional hearings caused even more tension between the White House and FBI, as Trump administration officials were angered that the director’s statements increased, rather than diminished, public attention on the Russia probe, officials said.

If this makes you think that Trump is nuts, don't worry, Comey agreed.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/amph...642334-359c-11e7-b373-418f6849a004_story.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/10/...ecided-to-fire-james-comey.html?smid=tw-share

After President Trump accused his predecessor in March of wiretapping him, James B. Comey, the F.B.I. director, was flabbergasted. The president, Mr. Comey told associates, was “outside the realm of normal,” even “crazy.”

For his part, Mr. Trump fumed when Mr. Comey publicly dismissed the sensational wiretapping claim. In the weeks that followed, he grew angrier and began talking about firing Mr. Comey. After stewing last weekend while watching Sunday talk shows at his New Jersey golf resort, Mr. Trump decided it was time. There was “something wrong with” Mr. Comey, he told aides.

All of this is just fucked beyond belief.

But I did put "wire tapp" in quotes like Trump wanted at least.

Veelk

Banned
After President Trump accused his predecessor in March of wiretapping him, James B. Comey, the F.B.I. director, was flabbergasted. The president, Mr. Comey told associates, was ”outside the realm of normal," even ”crazy."

"...But hey, atleast he's not Hillary Clinton. I am so glad I committed treason to help him win, even though I was investigating him for Russian ties, even then. "

Snwaters

The part I like the most is that a lot of these sources and leaks are coming from the Republican side of the fence, in all aspects of Washington.

Divide and conquer.

Comey may have fucked up with the Hillary emails, but at least he wasn't a Trump stooge. I doubt we'll be as lucky with the next one.

Comey may have fucked up with the Hillary emails, but at least he wasn't a Trump stooge. I doubt we'll be as lucky with the next one.

Let's not let him off too easy. He still royally screwed the pooch. Let's not forget his pure incompetence and lack of trying hard not to think about it or care? and how it made him...mildly ill.

you mean when he tried hard not to think about it or care? and how it made him...mildly ill?

There was “something wrong with” Mr. Comey, he told aides.

nP2p4.gif

Mully

Honest question, what in the fuck do people do? The FBI and the IC have been largely silenced. Congressional Republicans are putting party over country. The Judiciary can't investigate.

Almost all of our institutions have failed or suppressed to such an extent that there's really no stopping Trump (beyond himself of course).

What in the actual fuck do we do when the federal government is in an actual Constitutional Crisis? It's getting to the point where we cannot wait until 2018. Shit needs to be done soon.

Wow, he really might not have even done this because of the Russia investigation? It was because of his stupid Obama claims and he honestly didn't think about the awful optics?? How

Who wants to take guesses on who these leaks are? I bet Spicy is one, since he's being replaced.

Doubt Spicey would have been a source for a story where he gets blamed and humiliated.

Ivanka and Kushner were clearly the sources behind the Ivanka and Kushner part of the story.

Dude Aaron Burr was a boss, really a fascinating dude

In many yes.

But also, still a traitor!

MIMIC

Banned
Trump was angry that Comey would not support his baseless claim that President Barack Obama had his campaign offices wiretapped.

Well that's news to me (as far as the motive for the firing is concerned)

RevoDS

Cue FBI spends billions and years trying to find evidence of wiretapping, finds none because none exists

From the article

One intelligence official who works on Russian espionage matters said they were more determined than ever to pursue such cases. Another said Comey’s firing and the subsequent comments from the White House are attacks that won’t soon be forgotten. Trump had “essentially declared war on a lot of people at the FBI,” one official said. “I think there will be a concerted effort to respond over time in kind.”

Top Bottom