• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1Up LAN Party Podcast 12/3/08 (featuring Chuff Love's Gamestop Girl)

border

Apparently the young lady that was the subject of GFW's Chuff Love segments now works at 1Up/Ziff-Davis, and is doing a special appearance on this week's show. How and why she got the job will probably fuel some controversy (this episode already contains some listener complaints about recent female hires Alice and Tina), but for now let's enjoy the show:

http://www.podtrac.com/pts/redirect.mp3?http://download.gamevideos.com/Podcasts/CGW/LP120308.mp3

In our tragically late Thanksgiving episode of LAN Party, special guests Alice Liang and Jade Kraus fill in for the absent Robert Ashley and Matt Chandronait. We discuss our Left 4 Dead co-op experiences, call out our most anticipated of games of 2009, and read a few listener-submitted letters.

waaaaaaaa? :lol :lol :lol
if this is true, that is incredibly awesome
if this is fake, I can't wait to see how it plays out

Haha, the Walking Dead debate again?

And I don't know, this podcast is really making me happy I sorta looked away from game journalism. I think I've worked too hard.

I like the part where Anthony yells at Ryan to keep podcasting while he throws himself on the dieing laptop. I bet Jade noticed that selfless heroism as well.

I actually thought they were saying she was from gameSpot, and by Gamespot Girl they meant that she was Gamespot's version of Jessica Chobot.

zeus himself powered the 1up network to make sure this would get uploaded

this is the best non-Bobito LAN party so far. I hope this Jade girl becomes a full cast member.

Mandewd

Neo Member
rydogfinal1qc1.gif

border

It didn't seem any more or less awkward than any other LAN Party episode. There didn't seem to be any weirdness between Jade and Anthony, and the only odd moments are the usual conversational lulls that occur.

I think it portents badly that Alice cannot name any 2009 PC games that she is interested in. I worry that these guys will have pretty much nothing to talk about once February/March hits and the big holiday releases are a distant memory. Not that the platform is in any big trouble, but I don't think they have enough cast members that are into the major PC genres (RTS, FPS) to really hold conversations on them.

It's true that the all-bro cast has created better discussion. Not saying it's a man-woman thing. But I am saying that none of these female hosts really contributes to actual game discussion an eighth as much as Black Dragon, Elliot, or Bobito. I said it. I'll be honest. I want Jane back.
EDIT: Alice though Neo Geo= Neopets? She doesn't know what a Neo Geo is? WTF. That's not like hardcore only knowledge either.

border

xintin said:

Kinda weird seeing and hearing from Gamestop Girl for the first time. The way they made it sound in the original story, it seemed like she was pretty in a very conventional way. I had imagined a shorter, blonde/brunette girl-next-door type. As it turns out she's pretty in a mostly funky, unconventional way (short, jet black hair....lists "body modifications" as a personal interest).

I feel like the universe just folded over onto itself.

So if this is your "tragically late Thanksgiving episode" does that mean you guys are taping one for this week too? Anyway, I'll give this a listen at work tomorrow.

edit: These "Tina Fans" are starting to get annoying. You know guys, believe it or not outside your very own homes there are other cool girls who like video games too. It would be wise to go out and find them instead of wasting your time posting creepy shit on message boards and sending shitty mail that takes up podcast/mailbag time. Not there is anything wrong with Tina either, but it's a bit beyond the point of pure flattery for some of you lot. I'm just sayin', dudes... come'on... it's weird, just stop.

Haeleos said:
Is that the former EGM/Gametap journalist?
Yup, she was the one who pushed 1Up into podcasting as far as I know and cocreated the 1up Show. She has a pretty good blog (game girl advance) and she also does the 1up theme. I don't know about Gametap. That may be someone else.

NMan

Russian Steve said:
edit: These "Tina Fans" are starting to get annoying. You know guys, believe it or not outside your very own homes there are other cool girls who like video games too. It would be wise to go out and find them instead of wasting your time posting creepy shit on message boards and sending shitty mail that takes up podcast/mailbag time. Not there is anything wrong with Tina either, but it's a bit beyond the point of pure flattery for some of you lot. I'm just sayin', dudes... come'on... it's weird, just stop.

http://teanaholic.blogspot.com/
Yeah it's definitely getting pretty creepy...

border

miyamotofreak said:
It's true that the all-bro cast has created better discussion. Not saying it's a man-woman thing. But I am saying that none of these female hosts really contributes to actual game discussion an eighth as much as Black Dragon, Elliot, or Bobito. I said it. I'll be honest. I want Jane back.
Women tend to have a chilling effect on conversation. It's not their fault necessarily, but when they are around guys tend to try and be on their best behavior (or at least, better behavior). Particularly with reserved types like Tina/Alice, I think there's a tendency not to want to creep them out or freak them out (funny, considering that some of the creepiest stuff on LAN Party has come out of Alice and Tina).

Didn't Jane come back for a semi-recent episode of either GFW or 1Up FM? I can't recall which one it was.

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
wow, wajah incarnate

@l4d:

Listeners arent tired of hearing about l4d, they are tired of hearing people re-tell their specific in-game narratives.

border said:
Women tend to have a chilling effect on conversation. It's not their fault necessarily, but when they are around guys tend to try and be on their best behavior (or at least, better behavior). Particularly with reserved types like Tina/Alice, I think there's a tendency not to want to creep them out or freak them out (funny, considering that some of the creepiest stuff on LAN Party has come out of Alice and Tina).
This has been stated by both John Carpenter and Kurt Russel to be the reason why The Thing is so goddamn awesome (since there were no women on set, there was no "posturing" going on), true story.

It’s all in the commentary track.

Note: the above text is not to be taken all that seriously

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
miyamotofreak said:
awkward....
Is it "'Talking trash about someone who is right behind you" awkward, or "Masturbating in front of a web cam that is displaying on your tv in the living in front of your entire family and relatives while they are eating dinner" awkward?

Knox

miyamotofreak said:
But I am saying that none of these female hosts really contributes to actual game discussion an eighth as much as Black Dragon, Elliot, or Bobito.
I would say the same thing about most of the people on the 1up podcasts, honestly, I don't think gender has much to do with it. It seems like the females are under extra scrutiny though, like they have to be encyclopedias of gaming in order to have an opinion worth listening to.

Igo

Russian Steve said:

Well it's not like it will end any time soon if the community manager herself keeps reading this nonsense out on air.

careful

border said:
I worry that these guys will have pretty much nothing to talk about once February/March hits and the big holiday releases are a distant memory. Not that the platform is in any big trouble, but I don't think they have enough cast members that are into the major PC genres (RTS, FPS) to really hold conversations on them.
Yeah I agree, they're struggling for material right now. I enjoy the goofing around as much as the next guy, but there's not much PC gaming talk..

Knox said:
I would say the same thing about most of the people on the 1up podcasts, honestly, I don't think gender has much to do with it. It seems like the females are under extra scrutiny though, like they have to be encyclopedias of gaming in order to have an opinion worth listening to.
Well they don't contribute as much as Shane, Garnett, Big Fun, John D, and Skip either.
Ugh at the actual game discussion near the end. Bioshock 2? Seriously?

Top Bottom