• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1Up LAN Party Podcast 12/3/08 (featuring Chuff Love's Gamestop Girl)

Mr.City

For starters, this is a really weird turn of events. I haven't listened to yet, but the whole concept of having an ex-girlfriend on the podcast seems really weird. Not in the good way like Shawn's mad candy experiments.

I don't know why I keep doing this to myself. This isn't the brodeo anymore. It's gone. I think Shawn has ruined the majority of gaming podcasts for me. The level of discussion that many of them engage in fairly shallow. I know that I shouldn't be looking to gaming enthusiasts for deep, analytical discussion because hey, how many people look that deeply into what they play? If it's fun, it's fun.

Perhaps I should be looking elsewhere in a industry where the emphasis is on hiring gamers first and writers second. But damnit, can't there a place for intelligent discussion within the video games culture. If there is and I'm overlooking it, then please somebody point me in its direction.

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
Mr.City said:
For starters, this is a really weird turn of events. I haven't listened to yet, but the whole concept of having an ex-girlfriend on the podcast seems really weird. Not in the good way like Shawn's mad candy experiments.

I don't know why I keep doing this to myself. This isn't the brodeo anymore. It's gone. I think Shawn has ruined the majority of gaming podcasts for me. The level of discussion that many of them engage in fairly shallow. I know that I shouldn't be looking to gaming enthusiasts for deep, analytical discussion because hey, how many people look that deeply into what they play? If it's fun, it's fun.

Perhaps I should be looking elsewhere in a industry where the emphasis is on hiring gamers first and writers second. But damnit, can't there a place for intelligent discussion within the video games culture. If there is and I'm overlooking it, then please somebody point me in its direction.

+1

This sounds kinda lame.

I'll give it a listen later, but I may end up unsubscribing from this podcast. It just isn't that good of a listen. It'll be a shame, since I already jettisoned all the other gaming podcasts I used to listen to.

I think the complaints about women are overstated. Jen Tsao more than held her own when she was a guest on the Brodeo. This podcast's problem (and 1up's in general) is that much of its best staff has moved on to other jobs.

Every member of the core Brodeo team was interesting. Take Ryan Scott and Robert Ashley away from Lan party and what have you got. A bunch of z-list talent rambling into microphones.

Mr.City said:

Yeah.

Yeah.

Mr.City

dead souls said:
This sounds kinda lame.

I'll give it a listen later, but I may end up unsubscribing from this podcast. It just isn't that good of a listen. It'll be a shame, since I already jettisoned all the other gaming podcasts I used to listen to.

I think the complaints about women are overstated. Jen Tsao more than held her own when she was a guest on the Brodeo. This podcast's problem (and 1up's in general) is that much of its best staff has moved on to other jobs.

Every member of the core Brodeo team was interesting. Take Ryan Scott and Robert Ashley away from Lan party and what have you got. A bunch of z-list talent rambling into microphones.

How quickly we turn against Anthony. I'll will agree that LAN suffers a lack of outspoken personalities. I'm not knocking anyone on the podcast, but look at how much Robert Ashely would dominate the conversion because he was more outgoing. Tina and Anthony seem to be shy and soft spoken, which doesn't go well with Ryan Scott, the man who was thought not to exist because he spoke so little on GFW.

A podcast about random shit can only work if there's someone there to spearhead it.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
border said:
Kinda weird seeing and hearing from Gamestop Girl for the first time. The way they made it sound in the original story, it seemed like she was pretty in a very conventional way. I had imagined a shorter, blonde/brunette girl-next-door type. As it turns out she's pretty in a mostly funky, unconventional way (short, jet black hair....lists "body modifications" as a personal interest).

Yeah, not to be a typical "sharp elbows" guy, but she doesn't look remotely close to what I expected considering how much Robert Ashley and Chuff were hyping her up.

voltron

Two babes cant compensate for 1 Robert Ashley. Unless of course they get naked, but this is radio so Im outta luck.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
border said:
It didn't seem any more or less awkward than any other LAN Party episode. There didn't seem to be any weirdness between Jade and Anthony, and the only odd moments are the usual conversational lulls that occur.

I think it portents badly that Alice cannot name any 2009 PC games that she is interested in. I worry that these guys will have pretty much nothing to talk about once February/March hits and the big holiday releases are a distant memory. Not that the platform is in any big trouble, but I don't think they have enough cast members that are into the major PC genres (RTS, FPS) to really hold conversations on them.
I don't know about FPS's but there are a ton of interesting RTS games releasing in that time period (Demigod, Dawn of War II, World in Conflict: Soviet Assault, and Battleforge just off the top of my head).

dead souls said:
This sounds kinda lame.

For the record I liked Jen Tsao on podcasts. She was the glue of EGM Live which I actually liked more than 1up FM. And yes Elliot has made every other gaming podcast feel shallow. But that just means you have to look around. I'm sure Gamasutra has a pretty interesting podcast. I've got 4 gaming podcasts subscribed but only 1Up Yours is a real discussion podcast. I listen to it because it has fantastic chemistry and is a good This Week in Gaming. The others are CrashTV (just a quick Burnout podcast), 1Up Show (discussion of three games and fun meta story), and Broken Pixels (discussing one shit game). The only way I'll add another gaming podcast is if it is A) niche like CrashTV or BP or B) intelligent, funny, and honest half as much as GFW.

I woefully admit that I aided a friend in doing the Samus naked trick in Smash Brothers 64. Hopefully that wasn't his first boy / girl thing because technically that makes me a pimp.

The only naked cheat I did was for Max Payne 2 with Mona Sax, but even the superb modeling at the time was wasted on me when I started having thoughts about how she wasn't properly animated to do all of Max's moves.

Knox

miyamotofreak said:
Well they don't contribute as much as Shane, Garnett, Big Fun, John D, and Skip either.
Ugh at the actual game discussion near the end. Bioshock 2? Seriously?
Shane, Garnett, and Ellis are entertaining but their opinions are often overblown and kinda fanboyish, lots of the time Tina's opinions are actually easier to listen to. Plus this podcast is half PC gaming half catch-all geekdom, so it's not like game discussion is the end all be all. I think the overall tone of the podcast contrasts well with the rage and vitriol on 1up Yours.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I'd have nothing against the females on podcasts if they were interesting to listen to, but Tina and Alice just aren't that interesting to listen to. The fact that they are female is irrelevant. Amy Hennig, for instance, was a great addition to the podcast when she guested on 1up Yours back during GDC this year.

Poor Anthony/Ryan/Robert. They need a better vehicle than this. I have nothing against Tina or Matt, they're just not that interesting to listen to in a radio-like format.

voltron

Rez>You said:
I'd have nothing against the females on podcasts if they were interesting to listen to, but Tina and Alice just aren't that interesting to listen to. The fact that they are female is irrelevant. Amy Hennig, for instance, was a great addition to the podcast when she guested on 1up Yours back during GDC this year.

Poor Anthony/Ryan/Robert. They need a better vehicle than this. I have nothing against Tina or Matt, they're just not that interesting to listen to in a radio-like format.

I mostly agree. I think it works well most of the time with the 4 guys and Tina. Even though Tina does get a little annoying.

There's a lot to be said regarding this episode...

First of all, I think that most of what is missing from this episode is generated by the absence of Bobito. Those crying "Brodeo is dead!" are right, but that's because there are really only two of the "smaller" personalities on this episode.

And this whole "Gamestop girl" thing should be throwing up a red flag. I mean, really? I could see them bringing her onto the podcast for some sort of ironic joke, but actually hiring her for Ziff Davis? I feel like.... I can't take 1up very seriously if they pull stuff like this.

Barrett2

After reading the episode description and some of the comments, this shit sounds too embarrassing to download. I think I might have to pull the plug on the LAN Party.

Mr.City

LegendOfGood said:
There's a lot to be said regarding this episode...

First of all, I think that most of what is missing from this episode is generated by the absence of Bobito. Those crying "Brodeo is dead!" are right, but that's because there are really only two of the "smaller" personalities on this episode.

And this whole "Gamestop girl" thing should be throwing up a red flag. I mean, really? I could see them bringing her onto the podcast for some sort of ironic joke, but actually hiring her for Ziff Davis? I feel like.... I can't take 1up very seriously if they pull stuff like this.

First of all, the Brodeo is dead. Shawn, Jeff, Darren, and Sean were the pillars of the GFW. They're gone and so is the Brodeo.

Secondly, what position is Jade, the "Gamestop girl", occupying on 1up. It sounds like she's probably a intern.

LegendOfGood said:
It's been said 4,495 times, but it seems the industry focuses on hiring gamers that can write, and not writers that also happen to play games.

Knox said:
Shane, Garnett, and Ellis are entertaining but their opinions are often overblown and kinda fanboyish, lots of the time Tina's opinions are actually easier to listen to. Plus this podcast is half PC gaming half catch-all geekdom, so it's not like game discussion is the end all be all. I think the overall tone of the podcast contrasts well with the rage and vitriol on 1up Yours.
Shane is aiding his opinions with a vast sea of useless gaming trivia though (as well as obscure movie/actor references), and he's never afraid to dive into a conversation (for good or bad), Garnett is a lot like that though with a much higher failure rate. With these guys it's mostly one of them that talks about the one game they play (like CoD4, for example) and then have nothing useful to say about any other game, and the conversation loses a lot of energy. I’m sure that Ryan is sitting on a lot of knowledge, but it won’t come unless someone rips it out of him.

When Robert's on he usually draws everyone into the mix, he's not afraid to say anything around anyone, which is a good thing. This podcast has shown a lot of potential before, but this one was like listening to a tame Legendary Thread tbh. :p
For the record I liked Jen Tsao on podcasts. She was the glue of EGM Live which I actually liked more than 1up FM. And yes Elliot has made every other gaming podcast feel shallow. But that just means you have to look around. I'm sure Gamasutra has a pretty interesting podcast. I've got 4 gaming podcasts subscribed but only 1Up Yours is a real discussion podcast. I listen to it because it has fantastic chemistry and is a good This Week in Gaming. The others are CrashTV (just a quick Burnout podcast), 1Up Show (discussion of three games and fun meta story), and Broken Pixels (discussing one shit game). The only way I'll add another gaming podcast is if it is A) niche like CrashTV or BP or B) intelligent, funny, and honest half as much as GFW.
Have you tried Gamers With Jobs? I recently went out looking for a Brodeo replacement and that's where I landed. It's really good.

Mr.City

Danne-Danger said:
Have you tried Gamers With Jobs? I recently went out looking for a Brodeo replacement and that's where I landed. It's really good.

Gamers with Jobs is okay. Maybe it's me, but they really seem to gush over games a lot, talking about how many hours they'll dedicate to playing or how awesome a game is. I'll give it another listen.

Foxtastical said:
It's been said 4,495 times, but it seems the industry focuses on hiring gamers that can write, and not writers that also happen to play games.

Wasn't it Shawn himself (on a GFW radio episode, no less) who said that if you want to get into gaming journalism, you must first be a writer and second a gamer? The irony continues...

Haeleos

voltron said:
Even though Tina does get a little annoying.

Huge understatement. She and Garnett need to take a permanent break from podcasting. Some personalities just don't work well on these shows.

Gamers With Jobs, Giant Bombcast and Idle Thumbs are the closest thing to the old GFW there is.

Mr.City

LegendOfGood said:
Wasn't it Shawn himself (on a GFW radio episode, no less) who said that if you want to get into gaming journalism, you must first be a writer and second a gamer? The irony continues...

It's not really irony since Shawn's standards obviously differs from the industry's.

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
Mr.City said:
First of all, the Brodeo is dead. Shawn, Jeff, Darren, and Sean were the pillars of the GFW. They're gone and so is the Brodeo.

Secondly, what position is Jade, the "Gamestop girl", occupying on 1up. It sounds like she's probably a intern.

>_>

Barrett2

Haeleos said:
Huge understatement.

The entire shtick of 1UP FM is getting more and more grating, the fact that they read love letters every week from losers talking about their crushes on Tina is some of the most embarrassing shit you could put on a podcast.

Foxtastical said:
Did she get a position where she'll write about games though?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Towards the end of Darren's run I always got the impression that the rest of the GFW crew didn't really like him that much. I'm not sure whether that's true or not, it's PURELY speculation.

I really don't see where a lot of you people are coming from. It started out awkward, but it was alright by the end. I actually listened to this one instead of turning it off 23 minutes in because it was boring. I thought Jade was actually good on the podcast, or at least fresh compared to most people who formed their niche on podcasts; well, at least from what little she spoke it seemed like. It was probably just because I was just like "absolutely" to the few things she'd say; it's kind of like back when Mark MacDonald was on 1upyours and I enjoyed it because I could understand exactly where he was coming from. I don't know. Actually it's probably because, finally, someone at 1up didn't have a complete clusterfuck response to Dead Space.

Previous two times (and only) Dead space was on 1up media was the preview and review on the 1upshow. The first had Suttner going on about how it needed a gimmick or some shit like that. Second time was the two old cynical people trying to out prick the other while the younger guy kept stylin' on them. Off tangent a bit.

I'm someone who has been listening to 1up podcasts for years now and it's really easy to see how everyone almost falls into an almost homogenized style, be it gaming taste or just presence on the podcast. I think that is the problem with LAN partly when Max Chill isn't there. It's like listening for the sake of listening, almost like it's an audio blog rather than a medium to have interesting discussion. I'm not saying it's a radical difference when Robert Ashley is there, but at least it's incredibly entertaining to listen to. And just to be clear, 1upFM had this same problem before they started to bring on a lot of guests every podcast to have some diversity.

Mr.City

Rez>You said:
Towards the end of Darren's run I always got the impression that the rest of the GFW crew didn't really like him that much. I'm not sure whether that's true or not, it's PURELY speculation.

What makes you say that?

Spruchy

lawblob said:
The entire shtick of 1UP FM is getting more and more grating, the fact that they read love letters every week from losers talking about their crushes on Tina is some of the most embarrassing shit you could put on a podcast.

Anything the guy without the massive amounts of hair does is embarrassing and unfunny (the other co host).

Haeleos

Matt Chandronait, Robert Ashley, Ryan Scott and Anthony Gallegos is a fairly strong lineup for the podcast. Teanah creates way too many juvenile tangents... she just breaks the entire flow of conversation. It sounds like she took the same acting lessons Morgan Webb did to sound "l33t".

" You mean Ecco the Dolphin?" gtfo...

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
A Matt, Ryan, Anthony and Robert podcast would be a pretty good podcast. But I feel they need another big personality on there to really elevate it.

latinal3o0

Neo Member
Rez>You said:

Thanks

Linkzg said:
I thought Jade was actually good on the podcast, or at least fresh compared to most people who formed their niche on podcasts; well, at least from what little she spoke it seemed like. It was probably just because I was just like "absolutely" to the few things she'd say; it's kind of like back when Mark MacDonald was on 1upyours and I enjoyed it because I could understand exactly where he was coming from. I don't know. Actually it's probably because, finally, someone at 1up didn't have a complete clusterfuck response to Dead Space.
I for one am looking forward to the Insert Disc roast next week. :D

On the last episode I listened too I'm pretty sure Tina was complaining about women in the gaming industry who did nothing to earn the position other then being women

Haeleos said:
Matt Chandronait, Robert Ashley, Ryan Scott and Anthony Gallegos is a fairly strong lineup for the podcast. Teanah creates way too many juvenile tangents... she just breaks the entire flow of conversation. It sounds like she took the same acting lessons Morgan Webb did to sound "l33t".

I think I agree with you. That lineup would be as strong as a PC podcast as they could get.

As for Tina, well... sometimes I think she plays off of the fact that she knows that some listeners think she is hot/cute/whatever.

If you listen to the stuff that she was on before all the listeners realized what was going on, she was a lot more quiet and reserved.

latinal3o0

Neo Member
Knox said:
I would say the same thing about most of the people on the 1up podcasts, honestly, I don't think gender has much to do with it. It seems like the females are under extra scrutiny though, like they have to be encyclopedias of gaming in order to have an opinion worth listening to.

This is true.

TTG

Hmmm, this is interesting. I haven't listened to any of this "new" podcast, but I guess I'll give this a try.

voltron

I think the problem with girls in podcasts is even though they are gamers theyre usually not anywhere near as into it as guys are. Now is that a huge generalisation? Yes. But it seems to be the case most of the time. I think thats why I enjoy Tina on the podcast because shes a hardcore COD4 player and seems to jump into new shit when it comes along.

But most of the time its guys that jump to the latest shooter or whatever is new and what people want to hear about. Whereas girls dont seem to as much.

Prove me wrong.

Sanjay

bistromathics said:
Had to turn it off at 32:33. PC gaming may not be dead, but PC podcasting is :(

Listen to Gamers With Jobs & PC Gamer podcast for PC gaming talk.

Danne-Danger said:

Haeleos said:
Gamers With Jobs, Giant Bombcast and Idle Thumbs are the closest thing to the old GFW there is.

Yeah kind of feel the same too with Gamers With Jobs and Giant Bombcast, both very good and now my replacement for GFW, specially GWJ.

Top Bottom