• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1upshow (Zelda review)

Reave

Boy does Zelda sound good, but jeez, Shane's Zelda gushing is craziness.

fruitgushers_small.jpg

Kuroyume

Banned
The KILLZONE ads are great.

So... An entire episode devoted to Zelda? I wonder if we'll hear the same people bitching about Gears lovefest in this situation.

This was easily the worst 1-up show in months. They took the most abrasive 1-up personalities (minus Crispin and Kathleen) and put them together for an entire show. I was like... "MY BRAIN CAN'T TAKE THIS ANYMORE."

Spending an hour with a puzzle because you missed one small piece of the puzzle (in Zelda) = Amazing game design

Spending an hour with a puzzle because you missed one small piece of the puzzle (in any other game) = Poor game design

Trial and error gameplay (in Zelda) = Amazing game design

Trial and error gameplay (in any other game) = Poor game design

Methodis

Banned
elostyle said:
Go ahead, she's not in this one at all.
Don't tell him

Kathleen is the equivalent of that retarded annoying little blonde haired brady that went and visited the Brady Bunch for like a year and his only sole purpose was to piss off us Brady watchers with his lack of comedy skills and or aids.

tiong_fi

Just watched it, no major spoilers.

Damn, I want my Wii... and I want it NOW! Still have to wait for 2 long weeks... sigh

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
Methodis said:
Kathleen is the equivalent of that retarded annoying little blonde haired brady that went and visited the Brady Bunch for like a year and his only sole purpose was to piss off us Brady watchers with his lack of comedy skills and or aids.
Oh don't get me wrong, I agree. Except maybe for the aids part.

Peru

Yeah okay.. the very emotional personal attacks on staff members is getting annoying. Shut up and zip off.

Krowley

watched it... spoilers are on the very edge of my personal tolerance, but i'm more willing to approach spoilers than most people. If you're finnicky about spoilers, you should probably skip it... They have a spoiler warning at the beginning so you can't say that they didn't warn anybody.

They were all super hyped about the game and clearly saw it as their personal GOTY... That's saying a lot when you consider some of the great games that have come out this year. I'm even more hyped now than i was before i watched it.

edit// and Kathleen is pretty cool. she was the one person who made a big deal about the graphics, and that's an argument that deserves to be heard. For some people it will be a big deal. The fact that she ended up loving the game anyway should speaks volumes about it's design and overall perfection when you consider how critical she was.

Adagio

I dunno...I found her comments on TP much more interesting than Shane's or Jeremy's. And I don't know why Crispin was there...he didn't really say much.

I don't particularly like Kathleen (though to be fair, I've only seen one episode with her in it and listened to one EGM podcast that she was in, which was weak in comparison to 1upyours), but I certainly don't hate her... this is because she's a chick, isn't it??? hahaha... based on what I've seen, I'm not sure how you could have a strong opinion on her.

Methodis

Banned
JB1981 said:
She was critical of the graphics so now she's a pariah to N-Fans.

Is that good or bad? Either way, I'm not a fan of Nintendo games just it's annoying seeing her face in every damn skit. It's like SNL injecting Jimmy Fallon into everything. Or Lucas putting Hayden as Anakin Skywalker at the end of Jedi. Just ain't right.

JB1981

Methodis said:
Is that good or bad? Either way, I'm not a fan of Nintendo games just it's annoying seeing her face in every damn skit. It's like SNL injecting Jimmy Fallon into everything. Or Lucas putting Hayden as Anakin Skywalker at the end of Jedi. Just ain't right.

Are you asking what the word pariah means? I don't understand. Either way, you're totally unhinged and need a nap, I think.

Tieno

Remedy said:
best thing about the 1up show has to be the game footage, the worst part has to be all the talking.
Then why download the 1upshow? you can get the footage at other places too, you know!

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
Kuroyume said:
Spending an hour with a puzzle because you missed one small piece of the puzzle (in Zelda) = Amazing game design

Spending an hour with a puzzle because you missed one small piece of the puzzle (in any other game) = Poor game design

Considering Parish was going into the review thinking he wouldn't like the game (like OoT), and seeing as the 1up crew really don't seem like Nintendo/Zelda fanboy types, there must be some way Zelda's executing these things better than other games.

Reave

Whatever, Kathleen is awesome. I thought Zelda fans were supposed to be hating Gamespot these days? :lol Lay off her, sheeshness. **Ruby Rhod impression** BZzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZ!!!

Methodis

Banned
OpinionatedCyborg said:
I don't particularly like Kathleen (though to be fair, I've only seen one episode with her in it and listened to one EGM podcast that she was in, which was weak in comparison to 1upyours), but I certainly don't hate her... this is because she's a chick, isn't it??? hahaha... based on what I've seen, I'm not sure how you could have a strong opinion on her.

Yes, I'm a women hater. That must be it.

I admit, alot of my hate is not all deserved (I don't really hate her either, just don't like what she does to the 1up network) but I just wish she'd be more like the last person in charge where once things picking up they took themselves out of the picture and let the REAL stars (Luke, Shane, Mark, Crispin, Garnett, Skip, etc etc etc) handle it instead of the need of her in it. You don't see George Lucas inserting himself in Indiana Jones because he thought it couldn't do well...

Methodis said:
It'd be fine if she didn't insert herself into every segment. And didn't cut people off.
Shane was the one cutting people off, I didn't mind Kathleen at all. Shane always seems to have to dictate the pace of the conversations.

Here's a little tv personality 101 for Shane: Don't look directly at the camera in a round table discussion! He does it a few times, is the only one who does it, and speaking as a video editor, it's annoying. His comments and enthusiasm seemed to be spot on though because the rest of the group always seemed to agree with him.

JB1981

Methodis said:
Yes, I'm a women hater. That must be it.

I admit, alot of my hate is not all deserved (I don't really hate her either, just don't like what she does to the 1up network) but I just wish she'd be more like the last person in charge where once things picking up they took themselves out of the picture and let the REAL stars (Luke, Shane, Mark, Crispin, Garnett, Skip, etc etc etc) handle it instead of the need of her in it. You don't see George Lucas inserting himself in Indiana Jones because he thought it couldn't do well...

Somehow I don't think you'd be saying that if she added some of her own Zelda gushing.

Defcon

Banned
Man, stop your bitching. If you don't care for a certain person in the show, why bother watching it? Personally I can't see how Kathleen would annoy you to that point, but it's getting old seeing people complain about her being in the show week after week. She has her place and her opinion is as important as anyone elses in the show.

Methodis

Banned
JB1981 said:
Somehow I don't think you'd be saying that if she added some of her own Zelda gushing.

I don't like Zelda, so it could matter less to me. Infact, I'm probobly one of ten people in the planet who doesn't like Zelda. Just can't get into it.

chase

I predict the usual 1up worshipers will not like this episode. Though I don't know why I would think that!

2+2 = ?

Krowley

Kuroyume said:

It's because in zelda, when you can't figure something out, you feel like it's your fault.

When you can't figure something out in other games, it feels like it's their fault.

Zelda puzzles require simple logic so when you finally figure something out, it's like "damn!! i can't believe i missed that!!!"

Methodis

Banned
Defcon said:
Man, stop your bitching. If you don't care for a certain person in the show, why bother watching it? .

Because I enjoy all the other people on their show and the mini-skits they do?

Tieno

chase said:
I predict the usual 1up worshipers will not like this episode. Though I don't know why I would think that!

2+2 = ?
I liked the show?! I'd have loved if they did a video segment on Viva Pinata though, but Zelda's good. Don't know a lot about it so it's cool to see more about Zelda.

LukeSmith

Kuroyume said:

I think this is indicative of a greater problem with Zelda in general, and once I've played enough of the game to know for sure, I want to write about it. These are great points, though.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
"It the by far the best combat Zelda has ever had, and the best combat any action adventure game has ever had"

"Compared to this, SOTC seems like a demo. A fan project"

300gtfo31.gif

This is by far one of the worst 1up Shows I have ever seen. I really am happy everyone is happy with TP. I really am glad that the fans get such a great game at launch, and truly enjoy it. I hope that when I get it, I will have a fraction of as much fun as everyone else, but...the bullshit that people have been spewing about TP and games in general is hilarious.

I remember reading KHII reviews where it got crucified for its slow start--which was a few hours--. Now, that TP has a slow start---which people having been saying can go up to ten O_O hours--, it gets rave reviews? They just gave a thumbsup to puzzle that will usually cause you to die if you don't know beforehand, and called it great game design, and yet, so many games that have done just this, get nailed because of it?

The graphics discussions are equally retarded. Zelda gets a free pass in graphics because the wii is underpowered, and yet, Mario Galaxy and Metroid destroy it in graphics? Art and technological achievements run in tandom when it comes to games. I think discounting Gears because of its character design, and neglecting all the architecture is in poor taste, especially when comparing it to LoZ. The lighting in Gears is phenomenal and people keep forgetting that while it may be ugly, the enviroments are fantastic.

While some may agree about what they said about SOTC, i think its really dumb to even try and make a comparison between the two. They strive for different ways of telling the story. The gameplay is vastly different as well as the overall focus of the two games. For the record, its final boss outright destroys every other boss in the Loz series, including the one in TP. Fan project my ass @_@.

I'm not even going to go into the camera problems i have seen in every video.

Anyways, enough of my hate. I'll probably still enjoy TP, but, the bullshit this has pulled in, is by far the funniest stuff that has ever graced my ears.

I cant seem to download the wmv version... in fact i cant seem to download ANY episode wmv version. any reason for that? (i want to watch on my 360 is why i want the wmv)

Adagio

Methodis said:
I don't like Zelda, so it could matter less to me. Infact, I'm probobly one of ten people in the planet who doesn't like Zelda. Just can't get into it.
I can totally see why you'd be interested in this video review then.

By the way, what's Luke's opinion on the game? He's sold on the waggle? Did I hear that correctly?

Hylian

Going off by the opinnions of majority of Zelda TP game reviews and such they seem to have come to this conclusion. "Highest quality console single player action adventure rpg, released to date".

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
Was Zelda Wii built ground-up or is it ported from the GC version with added Waggle?
Kathleen confuzzled me on that talk about Zelda's graphix.

Defcon

Banned
Oldschoolgamer said:
"It the by far the best combat Zelda has ever had, and the best combat any action adventure game has ever had"

300gtfo31.gif

This is by far one of the worst 1up Shows I have ever seen. I really am happy everyone is happy with TP. I really am glad that the fans get such a great game at launch, and truly enjoy it. I hope that when I get it, I will have a fraction of as much fun as everyone else, but...the bullshit that people have been spewing about TP and games in general is hilarious.

I remember reading KHII reviews where it got crucified for its slow start--which was a few hours--. Now, that TP has a slow start---which people having been saying can go up to ten O_O hours--, it gets rave reviews? They just gave a thumbsup to puzzle that will usually cause you to die if you don't know beforehand, and called it great game design, and yet, so many games that have done just this, get nailed because of it?

The graphics discussions are equally retarded. Zelda gets a free pass in graphics because the wii is underpowered, and yet, Mario Galaxy and Metroid destroy it in graphics? Art and technological achievements run in tandom when it comes to games. I think discounting Gears because of its character design, and neglecting all the architecture is in poor taste, especially when comparing it to LoZ. The lighting in Gears is phenomenal and people keep forgetting that while it may be ugly, the enviroments are fantastic.

While some may agree about what they said about SOTC, i think its really dumb to even try and make a comparison between the two. They strive for different ways of telling the story. The gameplay is vastly different as well as the overall focus of the two games. For the record, its final boss outright destroys every other boss in the Loz series, including the one in TP. Fan project my ass @_@.

Anyways, enough of my hate. I'll probably still enjoy TP, but, the bullshit this has pulled in, is by far the funniest stuff that has ever graced my ears.

Yeah....I think you really need to play the game before agreeing or disagreeing with their review, because right now you just sound like an idiot pitching a fit for the sake of it.

Adagio said:
What's with the Kathleen hate? I like her.

She kept going on about the graphics and the Wii being underpowered, and how she's dissapointed with the Wii's graphics.. BUT IT'S A ****ING GC GAME! Admittedly, the Wii is not *much* more powerful, but still.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
I've beaten Twilight Princess and I don't think there is a single trial and error section in it. Maybe I'm forgetting something, but Zelda games, by and large, are not trial and error.

yonder

God dammit, why do they have to include spoilers? :( I really want to watch, but I don't want to spoil Zelda.

You make me cry :'(

Methodis

Banned
Oldschoolgamer said:

300gtfo31.gif

I bet if KH2 had you playing as Sora for those first few hours, reviews scores would've been ALOT different.

Top Bottom