• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amiibo Wolf Link to unlock a new dungeon in Twilight Princess HD ?

Serick

Married Member
Is this similar to the Skylander's stuff?
Nintendo is really forcing me a grown ass man to buy a zelda toy for $10-14 just to play additional content in a game already $60?

Seriously?

No.

Ys9gsD6.png

Interestingly, the Wolf Link amiibo has a standard use in Hyrule Warriors but a unique use in Hyrule Warriors Legend. I'm curious about that.

So that's two games it does unique stuff in so far and eight that it has standard uses in.

That's a lot of compatibility for a £10.99 figure, and that's just going to grow so I don't see the issue as overblown as you guys do :/

It's a large extra cost per game though. If every new game comes with amiibos requirements (since presumably link/toon link won't be getting you the amiibos content) that's a pretty large tax to get the full game in each case.

It's really easy to see why people aren't happy about it.

I have nigh on 50 of the damn things and actually also hate them being implemented in games that aren't specifically made for amiibo.

EDIT: I would respond to the question of whether they would make this content without amiibo around by saying "fuck, of course they would!" I mean cmon, Nintendo is a smart developer most of the time, they realize that for a game like this, you have to do SOMETHING.

$12.99 is msrp, also doesnt amazon and nintendo kinda have bad blood or something? I remember they stopped carrying consoles for a long while. So going to them for amiibos doesnt seem like the best of thing, considering that in mind. (not your fault more of a nintendo/amazon issue) Basically you either go to BB(cheapest with GCU)/TRU/Target/walmart or hope there is a ma/pa shop that carries them.. thats all you need to know, there isnt much besides those places. (except regional places like FRYs electronics)

Hoping sounds like a really unfortunate strategy :v

Also I checked on eBay and GameStop.com; eBayers are selling at around the same rate that Amazon has it, and GS.com doesn't even have it. BestBuy.com lists it, but it's not available online and it doesn't even give me the option to see its availability at nearby stores.

Faustek

Then you're not paying attention to sales/clearance/GCU/etc. The drop doesn't have to be an MSRP change from Nintendo.

True enough, I still try to support my local stores as much as possible. They never go down in price...except when they go out of business.

By this logic then are pre-order bonuses acceptable? Since they're created specifically for pre-orders...

STRAWMAN! BURN! BURN IN REDDIT!!

sorry, but yeah I get it.

You could also argue that it's a bunch of plastic bullshit you have to seek out and have lying around.

This is...true. It's more stuff. And I would know, I have like 19 or 20 of them already.

Yep. Over 20 games now support amiibo. Most of those games support all amiibo in some small way while others do only allow a select amount to work.

Plenty. Mario works on Smash, Mario Tennis, Mario Party, Ace Combat, Mario Kart, and (almost certainly) Mario & Luigi Paper Jam. Fire Emblem characters work in Fates, Smash, and Codename S.T.E.A.M. Link works in Mario Kart, Smash, Hyrule Warriors, and Ace Combat. And virtually everyone works in Mario Maker; literally everyone works in Amiibo Tap.

Oh, I'm painfully aware of Tap and Mario Maker. My son very much enjoys them, and we have a little shelf in the entertainment center for them because of it.

They work across multiple games and doesn't really add anything other than cosmetic stuff yeah. If this is in fact true, probably is since the direct did actually mention that the Amiibo would carry over some shit, it may be the first thing we see about Nintendo's strengthening the bond between Amiibo and game .

I kind of feel like they're in an awkward place right now with Amiibo and DLC. I think that a good middle ground is maybe having the DLC for individual sale bit by bit, or having stuffed accessed by just using an Amiibo tied to your system. There are ways that Club Nintendo (or whatever the successor is named) could be integrated in there too. Which would make my pants get tight all of a sudden.

There's lots of opportunity with it, they just have to do it in a way that incentivizes Amiibo without restricting access to actual content (I don't feel like cosmetics should count).

I'd welcome a future where dlc for smash is 4 dollah for one chara, but 1 dollah if you have it as an amiibo...
Or using amiibo as a massive dlc discount (e.g make that level available in zelda for 3 dollars or for free if you have the amiibo)..
it would be just fair :/

NeonZ

Why... wouldn't it? It happens all the time in the industry, it's called a "collaboration"

Monster Hunter had Metroid Costumes before amiibos, now it's getting a Final Fantasy costume and that's completely unrelated. Fuck, look at Smash 4, how are guest costume DLC somehow impossible but you don't bat an eye to playable characters? Or are you trying to tell me Sonic in Smash wouldn't exist without an amiibo? This is straight up nothing new nor is it something special.

The big difference here is the series' past and precedents. Of course, they could always add collaboration content. But would they? Mario Kart before Amiibo only had special Mario overall costumes for the Mii and that was in a single game. So, it's very likely we wouldn't see all those other costumes if they didn't need a reason to use Amiibo.

In a case like that, it doesn't feel like they're cutting content for Amiibo, but rather creating content for its use. In Mario Kart's case, they even added more through updates too.

Compare the past Fire Emblem characters in Awakening (voiceless, using generic "create an avatar" models) with the four Smash Amiibo characters in Fates that have their own exclusive classes and models. It's clear that pushing the Amiibo played a role in the implementation of those characters.

It's embarrassing seeing all the people defending this. Yes, we want better amiibo functionality, but that doesn't mean we want on disc DLC disguised as amiibo functionality. Something like Smash Bros is perfect. It baffles me how they got it so right the very first time, and have completely screwed it up every time since. I guess only having enough read/write data room for one game really crippled them.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
EDIT: I would respond to the question of whether they would make this content without amiibo around by saying "fuck, of course they would!" I mean cmon, Nintendo is a smart developer most of the time, they realize that for a game like this, you have to do SOMETHING.

That didn't add content for the other Zelda remasters, so your answer isn't backed by anything in reality. And they are doing something, they are upgrading the textures and the resolution and we already saw some gameplay changes, like they did with WW HD.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I like buying amiibo stuff, but think this is fucking stupid. I don't want to scan an amiibo to get shit that should've already just been accessible. That's not fun. That doesn't make me feel like I'm getting an added value. It's inconvenient, pointless, and a bit insulting to people who support Nintendo's games.

That didn't add content for the other Zelda remasters, so your answer isn't backed by anything in reality. And they are doing something, they are upgrading the textures and the resolution and we already saw some gameplay changes, like they did with WW HD.

Ocarina of Time 3D had the Master Quest mode (which IIRC had some changes from the original MQ). WWHD had Hero Mode.

Mael

I'm kinda pissed you can't unlock characters in SSB with amiibos (like wtf is even the point of that mewtew amiibo?).
It's a good thing they're expanding the usage of amiibos because seriously it's better if they have an ongoing use rather than just 1 time you're done.
Stuffs like SSB where you use to train an AI character and stuffs is awesome, in SMM it was great to use the biggass mushroom (on top of that they're really not that hard to find, Walmart had a fuckload of them so clearly they were so far from being constrained it's not even funny).
Heck I even managed to find Shulk at regular old ass Gamestop despite it being some kind of "rare" stuffs or something.
If I wanted to get Yoshi plushes I could be swimming in them considering how much I've seen them in gamestop too.
However the functionality like in Mario kart to only unlock stuck stuffs is shit and needs to go.
Great you paid money for a costume! and now that figurine is going to collect dust and do nothing at all!
This is going to be great if you can do something with the link amiibos for ongoing play or something or very bad if it's only the key to a dungeon or some crap.

My ranty point is that SSB or SMM 30th anniversary use for amiibos is awesome.
regular amiibos use for SMM or MK or Splatoon is shite and needs to die in a fire.
More amiibo use is good.

I like buying amiibo stuff, but think this is fucking stupid. I don't want to scan an amiibo to get shit that should've already just been accessible. That's not fun. That doesn't make me feel like I'm getting an added value. It's inconvenient, pointless, and a bit insulting to people who support Nintendo's games.
Generally this.

BTW I'm getting the game and the amiibo anyway so I'll get to that content, that's for sure.

Lunar15

It's embarrassing seeing all the people defending this. Yes, we want better amiibo functionality, but that doesn't mean we want on disc DLC disguised as amiibo functionality. Something like Smash Bros is perfect. It baffles me how they got it so right the very first time, and have completely screwed it up every time since. I guess only having enough read/write data room for one game really crippled them.

The reason they keep screwing it up is because the smash bros functionality wasn't enough for people to actually see Amiibo as a game enhancement. It's still primarily seen as a collectible toy than something you really want to buy for a game, and because of this, they're slowly trying to make it more "attractive" as a piece of game content.

It's a weird battle they can never quite win: If the content's really good, people will complain that they're forced to buy a toy in order to get it. If the content's meaningless, their market's gonna shrink as it's limited to only people who either want the collection or want to drive up the price.

Faustek

I kind of feel like they're in an awkward place right now with Amiibo and DLC. I think that a good middle ground is maybe having the DLC for individual sale bit by bit, or having stuffed accessed by just using an Amiibo tied to your system. There are ways that Club Nintendo (or whatever the successor is named) could be integrated in there too. Which would make my pants get tight all of a sudden.

There's lots of opportunity with it, they just have to do it in a way that incentivizes Amiibo without restricting access to actual content (I don't feel like cosmetics should count).

Awkward indeed. I always envisioned the amiibos to be just a thing for cosmetic stuff and/or a substitute for actually buying DLC. Now I hope this is just an Amazon France fuckup instead of it being the only means for the extra content. Because...that would be shitty to force a €20* toy to be the only way to acquire the content.

*Costs €20 nationally here. Fucking pricerunner says €15 but the store says €20 -.-

georly

The reason they keep screwing it up is because the smash bros functionality wasn't enough for people to actually see Amiibo as a game enhancement. It's still primarily seen as a collectible toy than something you really want to buy for a game, and because of this, they're slowly trying to make it more "attractive" as a piece of game content.

It's a weird battle they can never quite win: If the content's really good, people will complain that they're forced to buy a toy in order to get it. If the content's meaningless, their market's gonna shrink as it's limited to only people who either want the collection or want to drive up the price.

Yup, but considering the popularity of the stuff, they're highly incentivized to make the figures seem more valuable by locking more and more game content behind it. It's not going away, at least not for another couple of years.

Even still, a 'bonus dungeon' that has no bearing on the story isn't a huge deal. The bonus dungeon in Link's awakening DX was just that, a bonus dungeon. Neat color based puzzles rewarding a game-breaking damage buff. Not necessary at all in the long-run and not why that game is beloved in any way.

People will forget about this, it's honestly not a huge deal. A shame, but not a big deal.

Nevertheless, it's a silly position that the content exists only because of the amiibo. It screams of "designed it, and then decided to lock it" like on-disc DLC often is.

It could also be "Hey, if we bundle this game with amiibo, we can make X more money than we would otherwise. What can we make with more budget for our HD remake?"

Projections for game sales could be way higher thanks to amiibo, therefore it increased the budget. There's literally no way to know this, as a consumer, though. You can be cynical all you want, but in reality you'll never know if this was deviously locked behind amiibo in a cash grab or if this is only possible because of amiibo.

Well that sucks, hope they offer it for free for digital purchases, or at least sell it as DLC.

Sadly, I think this HD Remaster looks like shit and I won't be purchasing it.

Mr. Jimmy

It's the same fucking situation we had with Mario Maker. People here were outraged, disgusted when they learned about the 8 bit costumes, they told us about how their lives were so much better since they stopped buying things from Nintendo.

Then official word came, "Ah ok, it's not that bad". We don't know everything yet.

H

Yeah... I can't help but think if oot3d was launching now, the boss battle mode would have been an amiibo feature...

Deku Tree

Calling this a whole extra "dungeon" is probably massively over selling it.

If it is an extra dungeon does that mean it will include an extra special weapon and an extra heart container that will make me more OP in the rest of the game than people who don't have it?

Could they just charge a little extra for regular purchasers to get the dungeon without the Amiibo?

Mael

Yup, but considering the popularity of the stuff, they're highly incentivized to make the figures seem more valuable by locking more and more game content behind it. It's not going away, at least not for another couple of years.

Even still, a 'bonus dungeon' that has no bearing on the story isn't a huge deal. The bonus dungeon in Link's awakening DX was just that, a bonus dungeon. Neat color based puzzles rewarding a game-breaking damage buff. Not necessary at all in the long-run and not why that game is beloved in any way.

People will forget about this, it's honestly not a huge deal. A shame, but not a big deal.

I still haven't played the LA bonus dungeon...
I had to rebuy the game AND a gameboy color to basically get a fucking dungeon.
Just rebuying the game I would have done it but the fucking console to go with it?
The way I see it's an improvement.
Also it's clear this dungeon is locked content on disc, I mean it's not going to be downloaded at a later date so it's clearly on disc and it's locked by an external mean.
it would exists if amiibos didn't exist anyway unless the dungeon requires amiibo use as gameplay mechanic.
If that's the case I'm actually very happy they're doing this.

What's embarrassing is in this case really more related to subjective views.

For me, the outrage over a rumor about a common thing everyone in this business does one way or another, is more embarrassing.

Even more embarrassing is, that there are the usual faces again, who push the crying even more, despite obvious dislikes or disinterest for anything Nintendo hardware or their games.

And the most embarrassing thing is, that many of those crying "foul play" in here pay monthly for playing online, an essential part for many games today, pay big bucks for season passes, despite the content being sh*t (Arkham Knight) or still unknown (Fallout 4).

That, in context to a figurine for up to 15 $/€, being sold seperately, that might or might not (important words right here) unlock additional stuff that in no way affects the game itself, is imo embarrassing.

And before anyone asks, yes, i pay for online (not happily), and yes, i sometimes do get season passes and i do own Amiibos, and this is why i don't see this as the bad thing that some make it seem.

Why should it already be accessible? Just because?

Because the amiibo and the games should be separate products as far as I care. Unless it's something that literally cannot be done without them, Nintendo hasn't shown many ideas in that direction, the two should be separate. Massively overpriced keys are what they are if you don't want a bunch of Nintendo figures.

I dislike an extra merchandise tax to get the entirety of the game.

also

Banned
For everyone complaining, this is hardly the first time Nintendo has done something like this, especially with the Zelda franchise.

The Oracle games were developed for GBC, but if you had a GBA, it unlocked the Advance Shop in the towns that sold in-game exclusive rings. All that content was on the cart, but was locked until you bought a $100 system. Be glad the new dungeon isn't locked behind the purchase of an NX.
The exclusive ring from the Advance shop was literally useless, unless it gave you bragging rights on the playground or something. How is that comparable to a dungeon?

No-one said "DLC exist only thanks to Amiibos". Amiibo-linked content only exists thanks to amiibo. They are still releasing DLC, and the difference between the two types of content are clear.

Please enlighten me because to me the only difference is that you have to buy a figurine instead of inputting a code or buying it from the eShop.

Yeah that's not what I said. I said that the content being "locked behind amiibo" wouldn't exist if not for the amiibo, except maybe the Splatoon challenges. Please don't put words in my mouth
But Amiibo locked content is just DLC that makes you buy a figurine to unlock it. There's no other difference and nothing would have prevented Nintendo from creating the very same content and selling it on the eShop / offering it as a preorder bonus / giving it away / other.
You even admit that's most likely the case for Splatoon and if you take a step back and think it over I'm sure you will realize that's just as true for all the other Amiibo locked content.

So you're complaining about having the option of buying it with or without amiibo while complaining that the game with amiibo is too expensive.
No, I'm complaining that on disc content is locked behind toys.

Nevertheless, right. Lol.

You can't even admit when you're proven wrong.

Oh, I guess I missed that part where I was proven wrong. The most we've seen of this game thus far is a higher rupee count, a nondescript dungeon, and the possibility that one of the quests will be less tedious. If Wind Waker HD or Ocarina of Time 3D released today, I would not be surprised to see WWHD bundled with King of Red Lions, and it would unlock Swift Sail, or OoT3D bundled with Epona, and it unlocks mirrored mode.

Anth0ny

oh boy

that wolf link amiibo better be plentiful or people are gonna be pissed

also WHY THE HELL DOES TWILIGHT PRINCESS HD GET A NEW DUNGEON BUT WIND WAKER HD DIDN'T

It was "outside of the scope of the project" gaf told me... right...

georly

it would exists if amiibos didn't exist anyway unless the dungeon requires amiibo use as gameplay mechanic.

I think the word you're looking for is COULD. It COULD exist without amiibo. That's for sure. Any extra content in any of the games locked behind amiibo COULD exist without amiibo. Even smash bros - you could save that stuff to an SD card.

Whether or not it WOULD is something we don't know and likely never will know. My guess is that all the amiibo money they're making and WILL make likely contribute to an increased budget for games.

"Hey, if we have amiibo stuff for the game we can make more money from amiibo sales, therefore we can increase the budget of the game to include amiibo functionality because that will guarantee X amount of amiibo sales"

Otherwise, your budget is limited to projected game sales and game sales only. Now budgets are based on projected game sales AND projected amiibo sales, therefore, they're incentivized to include content they wouldn't normally have the budget for.

Draxal

The big difference here is the series' past and precedents. Of course, they could always add collaboration content. But would they? Mario Kart before Amiibo only had special Mario overall costumes for the Mii and that was in a single game. So, it's very likely we wouldn't see all those other costumes if they didn't need a reason to use Amiibo.

In a case like that, it doesn't feel like they're cutting content for Amiibo, but rather creating content for its use. In Mario Kart's case, they even added more through updates too.

Compare the past Fire Emblem characters in Awakening (voiceless, using generic "create an avatar" models) with the four Smash Amiibo characters in Fates that have their own exclusive classes and models. It's clear that pushing the Amiibo played a role in the implementation of those characters.

The 4 smash amiibo characters can't reclass into anything else except other dlc classes so they're a fun addition, but kinda useless overall.

The models are nicer especially Robin's new model, but the game's also wasn't as rushed as Awakening was.

I think the word you're looking for is COULD. It COULD exist without amiibo. That's for sure. Any extra content in any of the games locked behind amiibo COULD exist without amiibo. Even smash bros - you could save that stuff to an SD card.

Whether or not it WOULD is something we don't know and likely never will know. My guess is that all the amiibo money they're making and WILL make likely contribute to an increased budget for games.

"Hey, if we have amiibo stuff for the game we can make more money from amiibo sales, therefore we can increase the budget of the game to include amiibo functionality because that will guarantee X amount of amiibo sales"

Otherwise, your budget is limited to projected game sales and game sales only. Now budgets are based on projected game sales AND projected amiibo sales, therefore, they're incentivized to include content they wouldn't normally have the budget for.

It's not just amiibo sales, it's also all other merchandise that they can push with the game as well (HI POKEMON).

iratA

If Wolf Link unlocks extra content like a bonus level that sounds great. Providing it feels like a real add-on and not content would be considered too core to the game, I'm fine with it.

What's embarrassing is in this case really more related to subjective views.

For me, the outrage over a rumor about a common thing everyone in this business does one way or another, is more embarrassing.

Even more embarrassing is, that there are the usual faces again, who push the crying even more, despite obvious dislikes or disinterest for anything Nintendo hardware or their games.

And the most embarrassing thing is, that many of those crying "foul play" in here pay monthly for playing online, an essential part for many games today, pay big bucks for season passes, despite the content being sh*t (Arkham Knight) or still unknown (Fallout 4).

That, in context to a figurine for up to 15 $/€, being sold seperately, that might or might not (important words right here) unlock additional stuff that in no way affects the game itself, is imo embarrassing.

And before anyone asks, yes, i pay for online (not happily), and yes, i sometimes do get season passes and i do own Amiibos, and this is why i don't see this as the bad thing that some make it seem.

I don't pay monthly for online play, I've never bought a season pass, and I love Nintendo. And I think this is shitty.

It's amazing to me the way some people defend everything Nintendo does. If this was any other company you'd be all over them, but this is Nintendo so it's different. Somehow. smh

NeonZ

Also it's clear this dungeon is locked content on disc, I mean it's not going to be downloaded at a later date so it's clearly on disc and it's locked by an external mean.

It's content locked on disc, but would they even bother creating that content if they didn't have an Amiibo tie in to market with it? Where were my extra WW, OoT and MM dungeons in their remakes?

The 4 smash amiibo characters can't reclass into anything else except other dlc classes so they're a fun addition, but kinda useless overall.

The models are nicer especially Robin's new model, but the game's also wasn't as rushed as Awakening was.

The presentation side is there, but they seem to go out of their way to gimp them in some gameplay aspects, like class selection and how they add support for some My Castle features, but not all of them, even though it wouldn't take much for most aside from some extra lines and a couple of stat tables. I guess they feared the Amiibo overshadowing the main cast.

KarmaCow

Really not a fan of this bullshit, especially since it's tied to a brand new Amiibo instead the other hundreds that have been released.

JoeM86

The exclusive ring from the Advance shop was literally useless, unless it gave you bragging rights on the playground or something. How is that comparable to a dungeon?

Please enlighten me because to me the only difference is that you have to buy a figurine instead of inputting a code or buying it from the eShop.

But Amiibo locked content is just DLC that makes you buy a figurine to unlock it. There's no other difference and nothing would have prevented Nintendo from creating the very same content and selling it on the eShop / offering it as a preorder bonus / giving it away / other.
You even admit that's most likely the case for Splatoon and if you take a step back and think it over I'm sure you will realize that's just as true for all the other Amiibo locked content.

No, I'm complaining that on disc content is locked behind toys.

It's not like amiibo content can be loaded onto the amiibo. NFC technology is nowhere near that good. It can store just kb so whatever amiibo brings has to be in the game's code.

So how would you do amiibo, knowing this?

It's content locked on disc, but would they even bother creating that content if they didn't have an Amiibo tie in to market with it? Where were my extra WW, OoT and MM dungeons in their remakes?

I sort of feel like this touches on questions/concerns that people have been having about DLC from day one. Like one common thing I've noticed over the years is that people are often more troubled by Day 1 DLC than they are Day 30 or Day 180 DLC. This is doubly true if the content ships on the disc or the launch day code. And what you're arguing is "well, what if the content was specifically created for the Amiibo?" However, I feel like that would be equally valid for any DLC regardless of Amiibo. What if I told you that this other game's content was only created with the intent to make DLC money? Is it cut content meant to be included in the final product or additional content only made to make extra money?

These questions apply to ANY DLC. Amiibo-locked content isn't really special in this regard.

I don't pay monthly for online play, I've never bought a season pass, and I love Nintendo. And I think this is shitty.

It's amazing to me the way some people defend everything Nintendo does. If this was any other company you'd be all over them, but this is Nintendo so it's different. Somehow. smh
No, i just don't buy the stuff that irks me. I didn't buy Arkham Knights season pass, but look, i didn't go online and rant about it.

Be sure, if i have to pay for yet another service to play online, if that happens with NX, then you will see me in the very thread about it calling them out and ranting. Because in this case, essential parts of games are locked behind a monthly paywall.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Oh, I guess I missed that part where I was proven wrong. The most we've seen of this game thus far is a higher rupee count, a nondescript dungeon, and the possibility that one of the quests will be less tedious. If Wind Waker HD or Ocarina of Time 3D released today, I would not be surprised to see WWHD bundled with King of Red Lions, and it would unlock Swift Sail, or OoT3D bundled with Epona, and it unlocks mirrored mode.

I guess self awareness is also locked behind amiibo. WWHD and OoT3D had nothing that TP HD won't have in the standard package.

Draxal

Personally for me, I'm indifferent. I have pretty much every one of them so far, the thing is none of the benefits they've added are really tangible and some of their usage has been outright horrible (Mario Party/Amiibo Fes). However, if it subsidizes dev cost for games ... should gamers really complain?

Top Bottom