• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB Offseason 2014: The Spartans End a B1G Case of Wiscy Dick, Cold Pizza for Victims

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Gobal market vs one country's region.

Yeah, there's only 10 or so universities that could potentially have as many fans, and probably only 1 or 2 universities that are truly "national" (ND and maybe USCw or Texas), and probably just ND that has a chance to be "more than 1 country" by being 2 countries (Ireland and America)

Yeah, there's only 10 or so universities that could potentially have as many fans, and probably only 1 or 2 universities that are truly "national" (ND and maybe USCw or Texas), and probably just ND that has a chance to be "more than 1 country" by being 2 countries (Ireland and America)

I would lump BYU in with ND in these categories. Don't under estimate religious fanatics.

@alex_prewitt 33m
Maryland files a $157 million counterclaim vs. ACC. Alleges Wake Forest/Pittsburgh officials tried to recruit unnamed B1G schools to leave.

@alex_prewitt 28m
Alleges that b/c of "counsel and direction...received from ESPN," the ACC has tried to lure other schools "to extract more lucrative terms."

Wth is going on

ESPN your bias is showing!

Lonestar

Meanwhile, over in HappyShower Valley, JF flipped another Vandy Commit.

Saban Rule III:
Joe Schad ‏@schadjoe 46m
Hot topic: Possible 10th full time CFB coach but limit staff to 25 or 26

Increase in amount of real assistants, but limit in all the background people, which other teams have complained that Alabama has too many of. Will just lead to more players doing things they shouldn't. Having all those GA's, I believe we use them as chaperone's/wardens. To compensate for not having football dorms.

@alex_prewitt 33m
Maryland files a $157 million counterclaim vs. ACC. Alleges Wake Forest/Pittsburgh officials tried to recruit unnamed B1G schools to leave.

@alex_prewitt 28m
Alleges that b/c of "counsel and direction...received from ESPN," the ACC has tried to lure other schools "to extract more lucrative terms."

Wth is going on

I think ESPN took Delany's 'fuck you' a little too personally.

bachikarn

But the Gator Nation is everywhere

@alex_prewitt 33m

@alex_prewitt 28m

Wth is going on

:lol at the ACC thinking they could lure B1G schools.

Meier

I'd say the rights to equip a major European soccer club are actually a lot, lot more valuable than the rights to a US college program... even one like Ohio State or Texas.

I'm sure lots of FSU jerseys get sold, but that doesn't even come close to the number of Ronaldo or Messi jerseys that are sold around the world every year. Plus the amount of exposure of the outfitter's brand to a worldwide audience during domestic leagues or the Champions League is incredible.

College football is the second most popular sport in the US, but the fanbase is also incredibly fragmented and regional. A brand like Arsenal or Liverpool transcends country, nationality, and social class.

Oh they're absolutely more valuable, but again.. 12 times? Who knows. That figure is just to produce their kits and isn't inclusive of any sort of equipment allowance which made up 1/3 of the fee Nike offers FSU.

Most people can't afford to buy licensed kits because frankly they cost a helluva lot of money. I spent about $100 on a Man City player shirt this year and that was while it was on sale a good bit. You'll find that the vast majority of shirts sold are knock-offs from China since they might run you $30-$40.

I just used FSU as an example since they were of interest and I looked them up. I don't believe I saw any school when looking making more than $5m a year inclusive of the equipment allowance. That's really a pittance. Like I said, if they're paying $1m for an ad spot in the championship game of the sport, shouldn't the advertising associated with their logo being everywhere over the duration of a season be worth far more than $4m? It seems like they should be getting more to me.

Edit: I just looked up Bama and they're getting under $3.5m a year from Nike while Texas gets about $3.9m. FSU is actually on the HIGH end! We used to be the top brand, so maybe we signed this deal a long time ago.

Talon

Oh they're absolutely more valuable, but again.. 12 times? Who knows. That figure is just to produce their kits and isn't inclusive of any sort of equipment allowance which made up 1/3 of the fee Nike offers FSU.

Most people can't afford to buy licensed kits because frankly they cost a helluva lot of money. I spent about $100 on a Man City player shirt this year and that was while it was on sale a good bit. You'll find that the vast majority of shirts sold are knock-offs from China since they might run you $30-$40.

I just used FSU as an example since they were of interest and I looked them up. I don't believe I saw any school when looking making more than $5m a year inclusive of the equipment allowance. That's really a pittance. Like I said, if they're paying $1m for an ad spot in the championship game of the sport, shouldn't the advertising associated with their logo being everywhere over the duration of a season be worth far more than $4m? It seems like they should be getting more to me.

Edit: I just looked up Bama and they're getting under $3.5m a year from Nike while Texas gets about $3.9m. FSU is actually on the HIGH end! We used to be the top brand, so maybe we signed this deal a long time ago.
Like you said, that fee includes the equipment allowance, so it's an asymmetric comparison.

andycapps

Sorry FSU? This would make me more excited than Smart, honestly. Mostly because I'm still unsure how much Smart actually does at Bama.

@RadiNabulsi: Looks like Jeremy Pruitt will need to look for houses in Athens. Hope he didn't unpack too many boxes in Tallahassee.

andycapps

He'll start talking shit about FSU within the day.
Hopefully he flips some of their recruits and we get some roided out linebackers that love to run around with their shirts off.

I'm kidding about flipping the recruits, and I'm not really down with that unless it's the kids' idea to follow the coach that recruited them.

Meier

Like you said, that fee includes the equipment allowance, so it's an asymmetric comparison.

It makes the comparison even worse for the college football teams though! I guess it is what it is, but I think the teams should be fighting to get more money since it's an open market. It'll be interesting to see what Under Armour pays Notre Dame if that goes through.

Sorry FSU? This would make me more excited than Smart, honestly. Mostly because I'm still unsure how much Smart actually does at Bama.

Why in the world would he go to Georgia? I'd understand it if that was to take over for Richt, but that's a notable step down and not even a lateral move. He has a very good chance at leading his defense to another championship next season and further strengthening his HC credentials. Will believe it when I see it.

Lonestar

Hopefully he flips some of their recruits and we get some roided out linebackers that love to run around with their shirts off.

Do hope it happens, cause he's Humphrey's FSU recruiter, and UGA isn't on his list at all. Would help finalize our future secondary domination.

andycapps

Do hope it happens, cause he's Humphrey's FSU recruiter, and UGA isn't on his list at all. Would help finalize our future secondary domination.
Ah but if he's attached to Pruitt maybe we'd instantly shoot to the top of his list. We could use help in our secondary.

andycapps

Meier said:
Why in the world would he go to Georgia? I'd understand it if that was to take over for Richt, but that's a notable step down and not even a lateral move. He has a very good chance at leading his defense to another championship next season and further strengthening his HC credentials. Will believe it when I see it.

Georgia is a step up from FSU, prestige wise it's a wash but Georgia is in the SEC. Plus they can pay him whatever they want. They are one of the most profitable programs in the country. He has tons of talent to work with at UGA. Also, Richt is an old FSU guy. Might have been a connection there.

jakncoke

Banned
So, we going to lose Larry Johnson to Ohio St ?

I give that a

OUraq18.jpg
OUraq18.jpg
OUraq18.jpg
OUraq18.jpg
OUraq18.jpg
/5

Talon

Georgia is a step up from FSU, prestige wise it's a wash but Georgia is in the SEC. Plus they can pay him whatever they want. They are one of the most profitable programs in the country. He has tons of talent to work with at UGA. Also, Richt is an old FSU guy. Might have been a connection there.
:jnc :jnc :jnc

Georgia are the Mets of the SEC.

Lonestar

Mark Schlabach ‏@Mark_Schlabach 6m
If #UGA is going to get a Saban disciple as its DC, it's going to have to be Jeremy Pruitt. It's not going to be Kirby Smart

I forgot that was the only thing that gives a program prestige. By that measure, Colorado is a more prestigious program.

Glad we agree. ;)

But seriously, I don't know, I don't think Georgia > Florida State is anywhere near a popular opinion. Florida State had a lean decade, but what has Georgia done since Herschel Walker? When you think of SEC football, is Georgia maybe the 5th or 6th school you name? ACC certainly isn't up there with SEC as a whole, but Florida State is without a doubt the top football program in it, and those mediocre years in the 00s doesn't erase that.

I'd say that if Pruitt goes there, he either has philosophical differences with Jimbo, or maybe he's thinking he can get an interim HC tag when and if Georgia tosses Richt under the bus.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Which school is more prestigious is irrelevant. It would still be a bizarre move. Going from a MNC winning team in a weak conference (meaning high likelihood of continued success) to a mediocre SEC team with a low likelihood of success is weird unless he thinks it gives him an in to the hc position when Richt gets fired in a few years.

Unless of course they double his salary. Even then I would think he is on the fast track to a hc job.

Talon

Georgia fans have a much higher perception of Georgia football than it really deserves.

The only timeless programs really are Texas, Oklahoma, Southern Cal, Bama, Ohio State, Notre Dame, and Michigan. Those places can go through two decades of shit and will still have some level of prestige.

Lonestar

http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/bulldogs-expected-to-hire-fsus-jeremy-pruitt-as-de/ncnYY/

AJC seems to think it's a done deal.

Maybe Pruitt realized that FSU was like Alabama. It's defense was already there, it's talent was already there. Maybe it didn't have alot to do with him. UGA's a little bit of a rebuild. Not alot, but "some."

@Mark_Schlabach: Filed to http://ESPN.com : Jeremy Pruitt new UGA defensive coordinator. Story coming

Schlabach/ESPN too.

Cecil Hurt ‏@CecilHurt 2m
Jeremy Pruitt made $260K at Alabama in 2012, $540K at FSU in 2013 and is expected to make $850K at Georgia in 2014.

Cecil already busting out $$$. $600k a year more, inside of 2 years. Nouveau Rich.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

Draxal

Looks like Robb Smith is coming back to Rutgers after going to Tampa for one year, Hafley might follow him (Hafley was in the mix for OSU ... which would have been veeery verry verrry bad for Rutgers).

I don't know how to process good news for Rutgers anymore.

Meier

No one would consider UGA a step up over FSU other than a UGA fan. They don't have the success recent or otherwise. It does sound like it's a done deal based on all these reports, but it's a notable step down. No two ways around it. I'm surprised because I'd think FSU would match that offered salary. I know there was a clause in Jimbo's new deal for salary increases for assistants.

andycapps

http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/bulldogs-expected-to-hire-fsus-jeremy-pruitt-as-de/ncnYY/

AJC seems to think it's a done deal.

Maybe Pruitt realized that FSU was like Alabama. It's defense was already there, it's talent was already there. Maybe it didn't have alot to do with him. UGA's a little bit of a rebuild. Not alot, but "some."

Schlabach/ESPN too.

Cecil already busting out $$$. $600k a year more, inside of 2 years. Nouveau Rich.

Yeah UGA is somewhat of a rebuild, he has the pieces to work with but clearly the defense didn't play as a whole this year and the secondary was a mess. Does he run a 3-4 like all the other Saban disciples?

Lonestar

Guess this reaffirms that FSU doesn't have enough money to compete on the ever growing Assistant Coach Salary Explosion Tour. $500k for a Coordinator sounds smalltime.

Andy: no clue on what the guy runs defensively. Was with Alabama for maybe a year, came from High School, and was with FSU the year. You're getting a Defensive Gus Malzahn, except he didn't have the same "genius reputation" Gus did. Trying to say, he's not stayed at a place long enough, nor had total control to implement what he "really wants", so who knows what he'll do now. FSU's a 4-3, right?

andycapps

So he's making the same as what Grantham was making. They could have gone higher but I'm not sure any DC is worth more than a million a year.

Chip Towers, Seth Emerson, and Mark Shlabach (sp?) reporting Pruitt is a done deal so that's that.

I take back what I said about the prestige thing, Jesus the salt in this thread is intoxicating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom