• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB Offseason 2014: The Spartans End a B1G Case of Wiscy Dick, Cold Pizza for Victims

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
DL was solid under him before. Way better than the Orgeron rumors.

Need to do something about that OL now.

I have mixed feelings, though in retrospect, maybe Davis was better than Rumph.

Rumph was a great recruiter, probably better than Davis, but it does seem like we had better DLine play out of Davis' players (Dareus, Cody, and the "nobodies" like Deadrick and Nick "The Belly" Gentry), than Rumph's players.

Rumor was we went after Rumph during Clowney's SR. year in high school, because he was his favorite "assistant/recruiter" when he almost chose Clemson. That's why it was down to USCe and Alabama. Missed out on the golden goose, and didn't perform up to the standard.

Best players of Rumph's were Jesse Williams and A'Shawn Robinson. The rest (Stinson, Pagan, Ivory, Dickson) weren't terrible, but it just didn't seem as good as before.

cdyhybrid

darren rovell ‏@darrenrovell 5m
Hearing Under Armour/Notre Dame deal will be largest deal in total $ committed in all of college sports licensing.
Retweeted by Hannah Storm

Looking forward to one of the few redeeming aspects of Notre Dame's existence being ruined.

Hearing Under Armour/Notre Dame deal will be largest deal in total $ committed in all of college sports licensing.

Looking forward to one of the few redeeming aspects of Notre Dame's existence being ruined.

Imagine Maryland's uniforms. Now imagine the flag it's made out of is the Vatican City's flag.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Bd4nGgrCQAArZod.png

Vandy :/

Almost like the SEC logo is saying GIT OUTTA HERE WITH THAT BOOK LERNIN'

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Seems like we're on a spree of asking commits to grayshirt lately. One DB is going to do it because he had his knee blown up this past season and knows he won't be rehabbed in time to contribute in 2014 anyway, so he's cool with it, but there are a couple of OL and one DE that we're apparently strongly considering going that way with. There is only one greyshirt I can think of at all in Tech's past so seeing all of these guys this season is odd. Not going to be surprised if one or more of them flip to other schools.

@BobbyFlo7 11m
I just spoke with Larry Johnson: LJ's time at Penn State is up...He will not return in 2014 but he insisted he is not done in college FB

Hey LJ, we just lost a dline coach, why dont you come coach for a big boy team now.

Schmitty

go penn state! Franklin has made a great impression. Seems like he is dedicated to maintaining grad rates and has already made an effect with recruiting. looking forward to next season

So happy about Kiffin to Bama. It's going to be amazing to watch, regardless of what happens. Surely this is the first in a long series of events that ends with Jimbo on the iron throne.

Chris R

Is the WSU game in Seattle any good? Mariners are home for a set of games with the WSU game splitting it... Close to pax too I believe.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
So you're saying that he emulates the recruiting practices of Lane Kiffin.
Yep. And Lane Kiffin is a douchebag. Nobody should strive to emulate Kiffin's personal morals. Everybody should strive to emulate his inexplicable ability to fail upwards.

@jeremycrabtree 23m
Another said Larry Johnson to #OSU would mean Thomas Holley would be a #Buckeye. "That would be lock," he said. "Count on it."

Thanks PSU!

andycapps

Yep. And Lane Kiffin is a douchebag. Nobody should strive to emulate Kiffin's personal morals. Everybody should strive to emulate his inexplicable ability to fail upwards.
It is true. He has established a pattern of failing consistently, yet it able to still be employed. Though I'd say OC at Bama is a worse position than HC at USC.

Meier

I was utterly shocked at how shitty the licensing deals are for universities when I saw the database that BizJournals has put together of the contracts (http://www.bizjournals.com/portland...2/database-nike-adidas-under-armour-ncaa.html). The site is being a bit wonky, but I looked the other day and I believe FSU gets $4.2m in total cash and equipment.

In comparison, in an open market like pro soccer, Puma is going to pay Arsenal $50m a year for 5 years (at which point they'll probably get an even bigger deal). Now obviously a major soccer club is a far bigger entity globally than a college athletics program.. but 12 times bigger? I'm not so sure.

That these universities aren't getting $10-$20m is absurd. I contacted the author of that article and he mentioned that ad spots during the MNC game ran for $1 million on average. You're telling me that Nike is paying just over 4x that for a season of exposure on top of all the off-the-field apparel exposure throughout the year? Ridiculous.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Bad thought is...what if Brando goes to join the SEC Network...

Hopefully, they'll put him and PAAWL on the radioshow together, that way I know how to avoid both of them completely: By turning off the radio/tv completely during those times.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
It is true. He has established a pattern of failing consistently, yet it able to still be employed. Though I'd say OC at Bama is a worse position than HC at USC.
I'd say that OC at Bama is a better position than unemployed, former wunkerkind head coach.
You do realize there is like a 90% chance he ends up on the SEC network right?

And there is no one lined up to replace Verne because Verne will never die.
See, this right here in a nutshell is why Tennessee fans suck. You're so negative and you delight in pissing in other people's cheerios. I imagine you had Rocky Top blaring as you typed that post.

Draxal

I was utterly shocked at how shitty the licensing deals are for universities when I saw the database that BizJournals has put together of the contracts (http://www.bizjournals.com/portland...2/database-nike-adidas-under-armour-ncaa.html). The site is being a bit wonky, but I looked the other day and I believe FSU gets $4.2m in total cash and equipment.

In comparison, in an open market like pro soccer, Puma is going to pay Arsenal $50m a year for 5 years (at which point they'll probably get an even bigger deal). Now obviously a major soccer club is a far bigger entity globally than a college athletics program.. but 12 times bigger? I'm not so sure.

That these universities aren't getting $10-$20m is absurd. I contacted the author of that article and he mentioned that ad spots during the MNC game ran for $1 million on average. You're telling me that Nike is paying just over 4x that for a season of exposure on top of all the off-the-field apparel exposure throughout the year? Ridiculous.

So many variables.

How popular are soccer jersey sales compared to college football jerseys, and how many games does arsenal play compared to FSU (their season is incredibly long right?). Plus Puma isn't a player in cfb, bet you there is much more competition in that market as well.

KingGondo

Banned
I'd say the rights to equip a major European soccer club are actually a lot, lot more valuable than the rights to a US college program... even one like Ohio State or Texas.

I'm sure lots of FSU jerseys get sold, but that doesn't even come close to the number of Ronaldo or Messi jerseys that are sold around the world every year. Plus the amount of exposure of the outfitter's brand to a worldwide audience during domestic leagues or the Champions League is incredible.

College football is the second most popular sport in the US, but the fanbase is also incredibly fragmented and regional. A brand like Arsenal or Liverpool transcends country, nationality, and social class.

Talon

Yeah, dude. Arsenal is a global brand. The fanbase of FSU or even Texas pales in comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom