• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB Week 2: Everyone Exposed but Idaho (and UCF, but they got Sandusky'd)

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
So the first week of the 2014 college football season is in the books. What did we learn? Well, that pretty much everyone sucks except for the Idaho Vandals who shut out the Florida Gatas in the Swamp. Also exempt from being exposed this week was the UCF Fighting Knightronauts, who nevertheless exercised poor judgment by stepping into the showers while Penn State was lurking around the corner.

Oh, and Notre Dame is a shoe-in for the playoffs with an impressive win over Rice under their belts. Let's all stand up and politely clap for Notre Dame.

Here's a rundown on how the AP's Top 25 fared:

1 Florida State - Negatives: struggled against an Oklahoma State team that lost to a pitiful West Virginia team last year. Positives: Winston managed not to get arrested this week. So there's that.
2 Alabama - Negatives: No QB yet. Soft defense. Players keep getting suspended. Bradley Sylve. Positives: beat an upcoming West Virginia team who, despite struggling at times last year, beat Oklahoma State.
3 Oregon - Played (and beat) South Dakota. That wasn't the name of a university. They literally beat every able-bodied person within the entire State of South Dakota.
4 Oklahoma - Beat La Tech. Whoopdie-fucking-do.
5 Ohio State - Negatives: struggled to beat Navy. Positives: beat Navy.
6 Auburn - Negatives: Founded in 1856. Positives:
7 UCLA - the PAC12 saviors struggled to beat Virginia. Yes, that Virginia.
8 Michigan State - Positives: beat Jacksonville State. Negatives: they beat a team of this: http://s3.amazonaws.com/br-cdn/temp_images/2014/08/30/b57ff09f43dd3d80ce4648a0bb348f33.gif
9 South Carolina - Loss to TAMU. Negatives: Spurrier has less time to work on his golf game. Positives: Somebody had to be the first top ten team to lose, so kudos to SCAR for fulfilling this vital role.
10 Baylor - beat SMU. No word on whether or not tarps were deployed in the stadium.
11 Stanford - Negatives: only played UC Davis. Positive: played Stanford football, and remained undefeated while doing so.
12 Georgia - Positives: beat Clempson without Clempsoning. Negatives: douche overlord Richt tried to run the score up against Clempson with time winding down.
13 LSU - Negatives: lost the first half of the game. 2014 Heisman front-runner Leonard Fournette turned in a sub-par performance. Positives: eventually won. But it was a B1G team, so congrats for doing what you should have done anyway?
14 Wisconsin - See 13 LSU.
15 USC - Positives: won without heroic star DB, David Shaw. Negatives: Overseer Sarkisian is doing what the South never could, and spreading slavery to California.
16 Clemson - Clempsoned.
17 Notre Dame - beat 2013 defending National Champion, Rice.
18 Ole Miss - Positives: didn't lose to Boise. Negatives: Bro Wallace is still the QB.
19 Arizona State - Positives: beat Weber State. Negatives: gave up 14 points to Weber State.
20 Kansas State - Positives: Beat Stephen F. Austin. Negatives: gave up 16 points to Stephen F. Austin.
21 Texas A&M - I will cut the next motherfucker who says Kenny Football.
22 Nebraska - Positives: softened up FAU for Alabama. Apparently had a pretty sweet catch. Negatives: corn.
23 North Carolina - Positives: beat the Liberty Flames. Negatives: gave up 29 points to the Liberty Flames. Seriously, tar heels? 29 points to Liberty?
24 Missouri - beat South Dakota State. South Dakota has enough of a population to field two football teams? Who knew?
25 Washington - did they play? If a tree falls in the forest, and nobody hears it, does it make a sound?

Knightro's Drive to the National Championship

Knightro will return next week. It's one of UCF's apparent 5 Bye Weeks. Seriously, how do these people expect to get into a Power 5 conference if they're already tired and need a nap?

AP Poll.
UVQKWPK.png

Coach's Poll
7e3b71f237.png

462249aeef.png

63de95649f.png

Notable Games
Saturday
3:30 PM No. 15 USC at No. 11 Stanford
6:30 PM No. 8 Michigan State at No. 3 Oregon
7:30 PM Michigan at No. 17 Notre Dame

That's literally it. Fuck this week. Let's hope for upsets so we can have a little bit of excitement!

TTK Presents: GAF Pick'em Week 2 Games
(all games Saturday unless otherwise marked)

(FRI) Pittsburgh @ Boston College by X
Kansas State @ Iowa State by X
Central Michigan @ Purdue by X
Navy @ Temple by X
Fresno State @ Utah by X
USC @ Stanford by X
Maryland @ South Florida by X
Michigan State @ Oregon by X
Michigan @ Notre Dame by X
BYU @ Texas by X
Virginia Tech @ Ohio State by X
Colorado State @ Boise State by X[/QUOTE]

Subitai

Oh man, that thread title. Did you really need to?

I guess so. In which case I really need to do this:

Kenny Football! Uh Huh!

Cut at me bros!

Edit: Picks!

(FRI) Pittsburgh @ Boston College by 6
Kansas State @ Iowa State by 13
Central Michigan @ Purdue by 4
Navy @ Temple by 4
Fresno State @ Utah by 4
USC @ Stanford by 4
Maryland @ South Florida by 7
Michigan State @ Oregon by 4
Michigan @ Notre Dame by 4
BYU @ Texas by 4
Virginia Tech @ Ohio State by 11
Colorado State @ Boise State by 4

Draxal

(FRI) Pittsburgh @ Boston College by 10
Kansas State @ Iowa State by 14
Central Michigan @ Purdue by 7
Navy @ Temple by 10
Fresno State @ Utah by 7
USC @ Stanford by 10
Maryland @ South Florida by 17
Michigan State @ Oregon by 7
Michigan @ Notre Dame by 10
BYU @ Texas by 10
Virginia Tech @ Ohio State by 7

edit. MSU losing both guards = /ugh

cdyhybrid

(FRI) Pittsburgh @ Boston College by 4
Kansas State @ Iowa State by 7
Navy @ Temple by 4
Fresno State @ Utah by 4
USC @ Stanford by 6
Maryland @ South Florida by 4
Michigan @ Notre Dame by 10
BYU @ Texas by 4
Virginia Tech @ Ohio State by 4

mre

Oh man, that thread title. Did you really need to?

I guess so. In which case I really need to do this:

Kenny Football! Uh Huh!

Cut at me bros!
Cyan. Cyan! Can you ban this bully! CYAN!

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Kansas State @ Iowa State by 7
Navy @ Temple by 4
Fresno State @ Utah by 7
USC @ Stanford by 4
Maryland @ South Florida by 7
Michigan State @ Oregon by 11
Michigan @ Notre Dame by 7
BYU @ Texas by 7
Virginia Tech @ Ohio State by 11
Colorado State @ Boise State by 11

eznark

Banned
By the way, this was my alternative thread title.

I was glad to get in on the first post here so that when i intermittently pop into this thread people don't claim it's just because things are going well..

Because things are not going well.

Not well at all.

cry.gif

Enfinit

Kansas State @ Iowa State by 10
Navy @ Temple by 6
Fresno State @ Utah by 10
USC @ Stanford by 4
Maryland @ South Florida by 10
Michigan @ Notre Dame by 4
BYU @ Texas by 6
Virginia Tech @ Ohio State by 14
Colorado State @ Boise State by 7

Bonus: The Citadel @ Florida State by 62
Bonus #2: Eastern Michigan @ Florida by 55

fuck the gatas, go the noels

Lonestar

Still have a hard time understanding how Wincy could let that game slip away. A Power Running team with the lead, instead throws the ball with a QB that played like he wouldn't be allowed to start for his High School team.

Draxal

Still have a hard time understanding how Wincy could let that game slip away. A Power Running team with the lead, instead throws the ball with a QB that played like he wouldn't be allowed to start for his High School team.

Injuries was the only possible explanation.

Or a batshit insane coach.

LSU still looked horrific, unless their qb play improves they're going to be weak this year.

mre

Apparently their star RB, Gordon had a "hip flexor" that limited his availability.

JHall

Not scoring at all last week against a tough Idaho team with what seemed was Divine intervention on their side is very concerning.

Well see this week if the offense has improved. Go Gators!

andycapps

Selected gems

South Carolina
South Carolina defense honoring former teammate Jadeveon Clowney by taking this one off.

I can see why our offensive line has looked so good, they practice against the worst dline in d-1 football.

If we're statistically the worst D in the SEC I'll buy a fucking houndstooth fedora.

Clempson

I would say "can they just put in their fucking 5th string RB to stop embarassing us"
But their 5th string RB is.. like.. fucking really good as well, man

I think Clemsons coordinators are just pressing the "ask the coach" button during play calling.

I wish I could get drunk. I'm only 18 fuck you Dabo for giving me hope. I'm pissed off fuck that kicker fuck Cole Stoudt.

How is Morris gonna compliment Watson on changing the play through making big boy checks and changing his protections on that drive to throw an nlf ish td pass
& THEN BENCH THE MUTHER F##### FOR NO REASON and then the RBs are sorry as f###....I mean we used to have JAMES DAVIS CJ ANDRE...BTW Soni Michell wanted to come to Clemson and we dropped his scholarship cause he has a knee injury. How, did we miss on Mike Davis as well, I say to the #### with all those guys and run that big tight end McCullough I think he could pound some skulls in. The play calls on Offense were so retarded it seemed like we threw the game for money or something...I mean I was like wha..... where's Mike WIlliams , Artavous Scott, Charone Peake....They were making play's but Scott and peak got taken out of the game.....PLAY THE #### FIVE STAR PLAYERS>>>F### THE FORMER BACKUPS....FSU GAVE THE TEAM TO WINSTON AND TRICKET LEFT......NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP! GET A #### RUNNING BACK THAT DOESN'T"T RUN LIKE HE"S STIFF AND 45 YEARS OLD.....Gallaman looked good when he ran the ball twice.........the rest of the time he was flared out or lead blocking for this "amazing RB" Called Cole Stoudt.... this was non-sense and I think the staff should here about it.... It's foolish life isn't fair if your not the best your a backup for a reason!

Watch the game again and it is obvious that the SEC is going to be protected. Our team played within the rules and kept their heads on straight when it was so evident the game was called for Georgia by the officiating. Vic had no sacks? Being held and chop blocked the entire game makes any running back look like a superstar. I just can't blame our coaches or team for intangibles like officiating. Anytime a Sec team plays on a neutral or out of conference venue they typically loose. Wonder why?

Wisconsin

Nothing like losing your chance at the stupid new CFB Playoff thing howeverthefuckitworks after the first weekend.
Wish we just played Eastern Alaska Technical College or some shit.

Anderson says he doesn't know why Gordon only got 3 carries the 2nd half, so in one game our head coach has lost all control of his team, WELL THAT'S JUST FUCKING PERFECT!

That's all we'll ever be: a great challenge. I'll be drinking in the corner. Alone.

This is a stupid sport.

eznark

Banned
Injuries was the only possible explanation.

Or a batshit insane coach.

The batshit insane coach insisted Saturday night that no one was hurt.

Insisted yesterday that Stave was not hurt.

Today insists that Gordon AND Stave are hurt.

Batshit Insane is the correct answer.

(FRI) Pittsburgh @ Boston College by 7
Kansas State @ Iowa State by 15
Central Michigan @ Purdue by 10
Navy @ Temple by 7
Fresno State @ Utah by 12
USC @ Stanford by 4
Maryland @ South Florida by 10 (but really, Maryland is such a dumpster fire I won't be surprised if they find a way to lose this one)
Michigan State @ Oregon by 18
Michigan @ Notre Dame by 6 Upset Special!
BYU @ Texas by 10
Virginia Tech @ Ohio State by 4 Double Upset Special!

I'll probably change the MoVs at some point

Edit 9/4: Switched from picking CSU to Boise, also adjusted some MoVs.

jakncoke

Banned
Go Penn St!

See how many yards Hack can throw against Akron and see if Franklin tries to save timeouts for the next game again.

Lonestar

If he was injured enough to not make it to the endzone on a big run, but ok enough for 5-10 yards at a time, I'd say he could maybe tote the ball a few more times than "3"

Hell, Alabama played the game with a converted RB at QB. Someone had to better than the guy out there on the plays I saw at the end of the game.

eznark

Banned
If he was injured enough to not make it to the endzone on a big run, but ok enough for 5-10 yards at a time, I'd say he could maybe tote the ball a few more times than "3"

Hell, Alabama played the game with a converted RB at QB.

They had him in there on pass protection! And he did a great job.

It's a total cluster fuck. Wisconsin is the new Illinois. Andersen is Zooking us!

Draxal

Hell, Alabama played the game with a converted RB at QB. Someone had to better than the guy out there on the plays I saw at the end of the game.

That's what McEvoy is a converted wr to qb, that only played one year of qb at hs and got kicked out of USC(e) for being a moron.

Lonestar

That's what McEvoy is a converted wr to qb, that only played one year of qb at hs and got kicked out of USC(e) for being a moron.

Keep converting other players! I'm sure they have some punters or kickers out there. Hell, get a baseball pitcher on the team, what can it hurt?

diehard

Fleer
its hilarious because Anderson was notorious for choking away games at Utah State.

Nobody pick BYU, i dont want to hear any bitching when "those mormons" let you down.

Draxal

ez is a Wiscy fan?

... I'm so sorry, dude.

It was really the most frustrating game ever to watch, and I've watched some bad ones.

1. How insanely good Gordon was and they benched him. Wiscy's line was good, but Gordon was hitting some small holes instantly as well that was all him. Clement's good, but Gordon's on another level.
2. It was obvious McEvoy was garbage by the second drive of the game.

eznark

Banned
Keep converting other players! I'm sure they have some punters or kickers out there. Hell, get a baseball pitcher on the team, what can it hurt?

The bigger issue is Bart Houston, biggest QB get for Wisconsin in...ever...is apparently worse than Tanner fucking McEvoy.

ez is a Wiscy fan?
I'm here every year, in limited capacity, to bitch about ohio state and Pac 12 refs.

Lonestar

its hilarious because Anderson was notorious for choking away games at Utah State.

Nobody pick BYU, i dont want to hear any bitching when "those mormons" let you down.
Nope, picking BYU, because they beat up on Connecticut (ok, yeah, it's Connecticut), and Texas ran off 40 players, as well as losing their QB and Center.

The bigger issue is Bart Houston, biggest QB get for Wisconsin in...ever...is apparently worse than Tanner fucking McEvoy.

I'm here every year, in limited capacity, to bitch about ohio state and Pac 12 refs.

Ouch, QB busts are the worst. Looking at you Star Jackson, Phillip Sims, Cooper Bateman (perhaps). Hopefully Coker and Cornwell don't turn out the same.

Sounds like Tennessee's starting LT tore his knee up and is out for the year.

We should set a new attendance record this weekend, they added in 2500 more seats during the offseason putting the shoe north of 108k.

Notable opening lines from Vegas:

Stanford -4
Arizona -8 (They're playing Stephen F Austin!)
Wazzu -3 (Possibly the only time they'll be favored the rest of this season)
Alabama -40 (I'd take the under on this one)
Florida -38 (I'd take the under on this one too)
Oregon -11
Notre Dame -6
Ohio State -12
Texas -4

AntoneM

Notable opening lines from Vegas:

Stanford -4
Arizona -8 (They're playing Stephen F Austin!)
Wazzu -3 (Possibly the only time they'll be favored the rest of this season)
Alabama -40 (I'd take the under on this one)
Florida -38 (I'd take the under on this one too)
Oregon -11
Notre Dame -6
Ohio State -12
Texas -4

I thought Arizona had Texas- San Antonio this week or something.

Jamesways

It was really the most frustrating game ever to watch, and I've watched some bad ones.

1. How insanely good Gordon was and they benched him. Wiscy's line was good, but Gordon was hitting some small holes instantly as well that was all him. Clement's good, but Gordon's on another level.
2. It was obvious McEvoy was garbage by the second drive of the game.

Agreed, this one hurt almost worse than the several OT/last second bomb pass losses to Mich St and OSU the past few years.

They need to sort this shit out quick. Without a passing attack at all, teams'll put 10 men in the box every play, and it won't matter how good Gordon is at that point.

I really thought this was a different Badger team that first half. Impressed by the defense. But man, the play calling, still so predictable. Run, run, desperation pass!

Go back to the tight end passes, start out that way, quick slants. Seemed almost every pass from that clown was a desperation bomb.

Wasted opportunity with the light schedule if they can't get this fixed.

Nope, picking BYU, because they beat up on Connecticut (ok, yeah, it's Connecticut), and Texas ran off 40 players, as well as losing their QB and Center.

Yeah but I think we'll be fine becauseTyronne Swoopes is billed as the second coming of Vince Young Terrelle Pryor

(FRI) Pittsburgh @ Boston College by 7
Kansas State @ Iowa State by 14
Navy @ Temple by 7
Fresno State @ Utah by 7
USC @ Stanford by 5
Maryland @ South Florida by 8
Michigan State @ Oregon by 21
BYU @ Texas by 10
Virginia Tech @ Ohio State by 9

I thought Arizona had Texas- San Antonio this week or something.

If Arizona @ UTSA was in the pickem, I would pick UTSA by 4

I am sad that this is a bye week in UCF's quest for the Ultimate National Championship: a spot in the 'Power 5.' This is a more riveting storyline than the playoffs A.K.A. Rigged tournament for Power 5 Teams Only.

eznark

Banned
Agreed, this one hurt almost worse than the several OT/last second bomb pass losses to Mich St and OSU the past few years.

They need to sort this shit out quick. Without a passing attack at all, teams'll put 10 men in the box every play, and it won't matter how good Gordon is at that point.

I really thought this was a different Badger team that first half. Impressed by the defense. But man, the play calling, still so predictable. Run, run, desperation pass!

Go back to the tight end passes, start out that way, quick slants. Seemed almost every pass from that clown was a desperation bomb.

Wasted opportunity with the light schedule if they can't get this fixed.

Nothing to sort out. Stave is done for the season and has supposedly been hurt since April. Andersen just thought it would be fun to pretend like he wasn't to try and get some Belichickian advantage over LSU. Gordon was benched because he a. was begging Andersen to bench McEvoy or b. was hurt (he says he was not), ESPN is now going into full "protect the corporate interest" mode and saying Gordon did not get in a fight with the coaches (all rumors from player sources immediately following the game say the opposite).

To recap: Melvin Gordon is a freedom fighter who is being persecuted by the terrorist Gary Andersen and The Quarterback of the Future Bart Houston is worse than Tanner McEvoy and a one armed Joel Stave.

Illinois fans....how do you maintain?

Draxal

Nothing to sort out. Stave is done for the season and has supposedly been hurt since April. Andersen just thought it would be fun to pretend like he wasn't to try and get some Belichickian advantage over LSU. Gordon was benched because he a. was begging Andersen to bench McEvoy or b. was hurt (he says he was not), ESPN is now going into full "protect the corporate interest" mode and saying Gordon did not get in a fight with the coaches (all rumors from player sources immediately following the game say the opposite).

To recap: Melvin Gordon is a freedom fighter who is being persecuted by the terrorist Gary Andersen and The Quarterback of the Future Bart Houston is worse than Tanner McEvoy and a one armed Joel Stave.

Illinois fans....how do you maintain?

ooph, with the two injuries to the dline (how was the neck guy btw, it looked really bad). I'm downgrading Wiscy a bit, which is a shame, as you were killing LSU.

(FRI) Pittsburgh @ Boston College by 28
Kansas State @ Iowa State by 24
Navy @ Temple by 17
Fresno State @ Utah by 17
USC @ Stanford by 7
Maryland @ South Florida by 14
Michigan State @ Oregon by 13
BYU @ Texas by 14
Virginia Tech @ Ohio State by 18
Colorado State @ Boise State by 12

cdyhybrid

We play Illinois in 2 weeks. Sandwiched between EWU and Georgia State.

If we aren't 4-0 going into the Stanford game, after the poor showing in Hawaii, people will be quite unhappy.

Save us Cyler Miles.

Top Bottom