• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CFB Week 2: Everyone Exposed but Idaho (and UCF, but they got Sandusky'd)

You know, in all seriousness, with respect to the doom and gloom of "B1G sucks!!" - all of this really just speaks to parity. It's just taken a lot longer to get here because of how many teams there are. The schollie reductions dating back to whenever that was was the turning point. When Notre fucking Dame, Michigan, Texas, Miami, Nebraska, Florida, FSU, and on and on, can all fall into the shitter for years and years at a time, that's fucking parity, not really "LOLOLOL."

Bama will fall into the shitter too here once Saban leaves, count on it. This is just how college sports, and basically sports in general, are now. The "old guard" fell a while ago. Welcome USF getting to # fucking 3 in the polls, ya know? Shit's been here for a while. Just has been slower to unfold than it was in the NFL. Parity was the goal, let's remember. Well here it fucking is. Hope everyone's fucking happy.

I'm more pumped for our offense than anything else. We can actually move the ball down field this year.

Glad to see some fellow Hokies on Gaf!

Our offense looks legit for the first time in a LONG time. When we answered their last TD I knew we had turned a corner. If you would have told me that VT would have outscored OSU 3/4 quarters I would have laughed at you.

Oh, and Bud Foster is hands down the best D-Coordinator in the country. There's no debate anymore. He ate Meyer's lunch tonight.

Jhriad

So how badly is UCLA going to get drilled when they play some legitimately good conference opponents? First week was a struggle against Virginia and now it's Memphis. Unless they improve fast they could have some ugly games later in the year.

Enfinit

I'm not worried about FSU's offense, but our defense is shaky at best. Losing guys to injuries and the NFL, along with Pruitt leaving, seems like it has really hit us hard. There just doesn't seem like any true leadership, like a Lamarcus Joyner or Tank Carradine.

I hope they get their shit together, because as big of a Noles fan as I am, I'll be the first to admit that we don't deserve that #1 ranking right now. And at this rate, I definitely see us dropping one, maybe two, games this season if we play like we did the past two weeks.

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
Bahahahahaha go VT! So glad the Fuckeyes lost, here's to missing a bowl game everybody

Piggus

awesome that you're at the game.

i never understood why people want to sit at the 50. you don't get the POV of either the offense or defense, and you're consistently the furthest from both end zones

It's a good point, but we're high enough up to be able to see everything going on really well. When you're in the endZone seats you only have a good view when the teams are in the red zone on your side. I guess if you're high enough up it wouldn't be too bad. But still, I like having the "broadcast" view. :)

We've had those seats since the mid 80s. I guess at one point before I was born my family had 50 yard line seats in the front row. Fun, but too close to the field to have a good view.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
I get that Jakeem Grant is really fast but I don't understand why we keep throwing so many balls downfield on fly routes to a guy that is 5'6". Did it all last season and have been doing it this season.

Balphon

Just got home from the Oregon game. Probably the most fun I've had at a game in awhile. The atmosphere at Autzen was great, and the game was good pretty much wire to wire.

Plus, we won, which is always nice.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
My thoughts on this week (probably all totally original opinions, I am sure...)

Texas: LOLOLOL. I give Charlie Strong props for suspending players left and right. I am sure he believes it will eventually be to the benefit of the team and these kids. He is an excellent coach, but he was totally schooled tonight. BYU embarrassed Texas for 3+ quarters. Texas was destined to lose regardless due to injuries + suspensions, but it was still a beautiful sight to behold. Go Cougs! Here's hoping for a ranking next week.

Nebraska: What a strange game. We outplayed them in the first half pretty handily and had that TD called back due to a really crappy tripping penalty for a guy who happened to fall with his leg sticking up in the air. The pick-6 was gut-punching, too. Then, the Cowboys took it to us all second half. We looked absolutely terrible, our play-calling was amongst the worst I have ever seen. We didn;t utilize Abdullah in any meaningful way in the second half, nor Imani Cross. I believe we were trying to get Armstrong throwing reps, but throwing the deep ball every series is not smart football, at all, much less when your QB overthrows your WR1 by 10 yards every other toss. Bells injury sucked, but it doesn't sound horrible, Turner's injury blows, too. Ameer showed he is an absolute beast with his kick return and amazing last offensive play. He is truly something special. In this age of parity, let's just say I am glad we are never playing another FCS team in the foreseeable future. There is no upside, but MAJOR downside: (see UW and EWU this week, too)

L1TTLE: Holy shit, this conference is abysmal. Nebraska, Iowa, or Minnesota are the conference's hopes for an undefeated champion for a playoff spot... LOL. I am amazed I got through that sentence without passing out from laughter. Nebraska could do it thanks to a soft schedule, but we find a way to lose games every year that we shouldn't. Even if that miracle happens, I can only presume that the ACC, SEC, Big 12, and Pac-12 will all have undefeated teams and B1G will be left out in the cold. A one-loss B1G against other one-loss conferences will similarly leave them on the outside looking in. After week two, I don't disagree with that sentiment. Who knows what the rest of the season will bring, the parity bug could land on anyone, after all.

Rooting for conference opponents to win their games: never. Watch the world burn, screw UM, tOSU, MSU, etc. I don't care if Nebraska wins out and their strength of schedule is 112, causing us to be skipped over 1 and 2-loss SEC and PAC-12 teams for the playoffs, it brings me great satisfaction to see Asshole Urban Meyer lose to class-act Frank Beamer.

Go Big Red! and to a lesser extent, go Cougars!

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
You have got to be kidding me. UTEP was about to punt and then we gave them a first down on two five yard penalties: the first where we had two players wearing #13 on the field at the same time, and the second where the coaches on the sideline were standing outside of their allowed area.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
You know, in all seriousness, with respect to the doom and gloom of "B1G sucks!!" - all of this really just speaks to parity. It's just taken a lot longer to get here because of how many teams there are. The schollie reductions dating back to whenever that was was the turning point. When Notre fucking Dame, Michigan, Texas, Miami, Nebraska, Florida, FSU, and on and on, can all fall into the shitter for years and years at a time, that's fucking parity, not really "LOLOLOL."

Bama will fall into the shitter too here once Saban leaves, count on it. This is just how college sports, and basically sports in general, are now. The "old guard" fell a while ago. Welcome USF getting to # fucking 3 in the polls, ya know? Shit's been here for a while. Just has been slower to unfold than it was in the NFL. Parity was the goal, let's remember. Well here it fucking is. Hope everyone's fucking happy.

If falling back to what LSU's been the last decade counts as "Shitter", sign me up. Saban could leave right now, and it'd take 3 years before the possibility of "not having enough talent to compete" comes around.

What are you talking about? wiscy would have lost by 35 in Eugene today.

Wisconsin hasn't lost by 35 points since 2008
and it was to a Big Ten school
. Actually, the more interesting fact is that Wisconsin hasn't lost by more than 10 points in five years, and only two of those games were lost by more than 7 points. Wisconsin isn't the type of team to get blown the fuck out. They play a steady game until the last quarter, and then fuck up hard and manage to lose the game.

See: 2010 - 2013 Rose Bowls, last week at LSU, every loss from the 2012 season.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
God please score a TD here. Our defense has been garbage but they've been giving up long prolonged drives, not big plays, so I like our odds of running out the clock on them if they need a TD.

::edit::
YES.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Well that was a beating to watch. Glad we got the win. Not looking forward to what Arkansas is going to do to our run defense next week so I hope the offense can get their heads on straight.

Piggus

Wow, if not for Washington State, PAC-12 would have won all its non conference games this week. GOOD JOB WAZZU. -_-

In other news, a lot of celebratory alcohol flows through my veins.

And fuck you Wazzu. Ya dick.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
It doesn't. Thinking more pre-Saban, and you know just the era I mean.

As long as the NCAA doesn't dive bomb us into oblivion again, it's doubtful we'll get down into the Dubose/Shula dumpster fire again.

Bw5sP7VCEAAdUuQ.jpg

For when everything goes wrong, Facepalm will be there to lift you back up.

Top Bottom