• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro, US, JP 2011 YTD Hardware and Software Sales

Seems like the PS3 is winning hardware outside of the USand in softwareNintendo has Europe,Microsoft has the USand Sony has japan. Fascinating.

Kenak said:
Wow, I can't believe the PS3 is ahead of the 360.

Quite well deserved considering the PS3 has really been getting its exclusives out there.

mujun

Mrbob said:
Why are you being so salty? We hardly get factual European numbers, so some data is nice to finally see. Look beyond the hardware too. PS3 is also ahead of the 360 in the top 20 software chart.

I'm not being salty. I have seen, literally 10s of times over the past months, both posts and threads about how the PS3 installed base is like 5:4 ratio with the 360. From my experience it's common knowledge amongst even casual sales followers.

Sorry if you are not one of those people and genuinely popped into your first thread where the info is readily available. Just came off as disingenuous to me, if that's not the case, my bad.

Was there some sort of awesome deal for Fifa 11 on 360 in Europe? It's right in the middle of the chart, beating out a bunch of new releases and with the ps3 version nowhere to be found.

Truespeed

The Japanese PS3 sales basically cover the monthly 360->PS3 NPD difference. Europe is where it will be decided.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
pharmboy044 said:
I'm completely surprised that the 360 version of Blops isn't on the European top 20.
Agreed. Also weird is how high FIFA 11 is on 360, with no PS3 version.

And 2 Kinect games being in the top 20 for the US..

Concept17

Truespeed said:
The Japanese PS3 sales basically cover the monthly 360->PS3 NPD difference. Europe is where it will be decided.

Which is funny because I'm fairly certain early on in the generation Sony was saying this exact thing.

Kazerei

Banned
This chart shows the 20 best-selling software titles in the U.S. from January through September of 2011. Seven titles from Nintendo platforms are included, but unlike in the previous years, three Wii titles, which are ranked high in the chart, were not released by Nintendo but from other software publishers. As I talked in the Financial Results Briefing in April, dancing titles are surging ahead, and the top three titles for Wii are dancing games. Other than these three titles, “Dance Central” for Xbox 360’s Kinect is also included in the chart, which means that four out of the 20 top-selling titles are dancing games.
Iwata gave a shout out to Dance Central :D

makingmusic476 said:
Was there some sort of awesome deal for Fifa 11 on 360 in Europe? It's right in the middle of the chart, beating out a bunch of new releases and with the ps3 version nowhere to be found.

Probably, but FIFA 12 is number 1 on PS3, soi doubt they really care, haha.

LOCK

The PS3 is doing great. If not for America the 360 would be a clear third place. The Wii is slowing, but holidays are more important.

Its interesting that they think that they will have a large holiday, especially one that is yoy. I really hope it pans out for them.

Kenak said:
for good reason IMO

Microsoft pretty much gave up on making console have unique content compared to the competition while sony has done the opposite

God, the biggest problem is that the tely bottlenecked the NDS sales in Japan. That's got to be the worst YTD for Japan, ever.

EDIT: I don't know why my font is like this, what the hell happened.

Kusagari

fuzzyreactor said:
for good reason IMO

Microsoft pretty much gave up on making console have unique content compared to the competition while sony has done the opposite

The unique content isn't why the PS3 is selling more. The only PS3 exclusives on the EU list are all at the bottom below Gears 3.

mujun

fuzzyreactor said:
for good reason IMO

Extreme subjectivity in a sales thread, say it isn't so, kind sir!

Kusagari said:
The unique content isn't why the PS3 is selling more. The only PS3 exclusives on the EU list are all at the bottom below Gears 3.

I agree, I think, similar to Japan it comes down to strong brand loyalty. MS hasn't done enough in Europe to win PS2 faithful over.

Kusagari said:
you are assuming those games sales and hardware sales are exclusively related

fuzzyreactor said:
for good reason IMO

I think it has a lot to do with XBL. Most of the coolest features are only available in the US and also, XBL is built around voice chat where in Europe of course a lot of people know English but many don't feel comfortable speaking it in an online setting and would rather use their own native language.

While I use the 360 as the main system and I'm in the US, if I lived in Europe the PS3 would be my main system.

BladeoftheImmortal said:
I don't know why my font is like this, what the hell happened.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCVHpnixj88

mujun said:
Extreme subjectivity in a sales thread, say it isn't so, kind sir!
coming from the guy spreading FUD about darks souls being better on 360 toward launch and getting defense about people saying the community wold be better on ps3(which it is)

Takao

Banned
Rated-Rsuperstar said:
For all the doom and gloom the psp always gets, 4 million is still pretty damn good.

It's never been the hardware sales, it's always been the software.

OldJadedGamer said:
I think it has a lot to do with XBL. Most of the coolest features are only available in the US and also, XBL is built around voice chat where in Europe of course a lot of people know English but many don't feel comfortable speaking it in an online setting and would rather use their own native language.

While I use the 360 as the main system and I'm in the US, if I lived in Europe the PS3 would be my main system.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCVHpnixj88

im sure that youtube thing is funny, but i'm in china. so you have just wasted a joke.

Kusagari

fuzzyreactor said:
you are assuming those games sales and hardware sales are exclusively related

You used the unique content as a reason for why PS3 is selling more in Europe. But no PS3 exclusive, except possibly GT, clearly sells as well as Halo or Gears. The PS3, just like the 360 now, is dominated by multiplatform games.

AntiTout

Wait! it means that xbox GAF is lying since 2010. They said that the xbox is selling more than the PS3 in Europe and Worldwide...
0.09 is the new 8/10

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Kenak said:

Why? Sony has been ahead for the last couple of years, and basically sold the same number of units last year due to the launch of Kinect.

Kusagari said:
You used the unique content as a reason for why PS3 is selling more in Europe. But no PS3 exclusive, except possibly GT, clearly sells as well as Halo or Gears. The PS3, just like the 360 now, is dominated by multiplatform games.
you still are assuming they are exclusively related. Take FIFA for example. Top selling game in euro but why would someone buy one system over another if they both can play it. Thats where the other content comes in. If i can get the big MP game i want plus a bunch of other exclusives only on one system i would go with that system. There are numerous ps3 exclusives on the euro software chart. So while they might not be the best selling that still may be factoring why ps3 is outselling 360

Truespeed

makingmusic476 said:

Eurogamer gave the PS3 version an 8.

jcm

bobbytkc said:
Why? Sony has been ahead for the last couple of years, and basically sold the same number of units last year due to the launch of Kinect.

If you get all of your sales info from NPD threads then it's very surprising. Lots of GAFfers don't pay much attention to non-US sales.

Things I find surprising: Wii software sales in Europe are excellent. PSP hardware sales in Europe are respectable.

klee123

jcm said:
If you get all of your sales info from NPD threads then it's very surprising. Lots of GAFfers don't pay much attention to non-US sales.

Things I find surprising: Wii software sales in Europe are excellent. PSP hardware sales in Europe are respectable.

US = World after all.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
klee123 said:
US = World after all.
Why bring in the WW sales in an NPD thread? That doesn't make any sense. I'm glad that Nintendo revealed these numbers, as the EU sales were always a bit... iffy.

jcm said:

Not true. Mediacreate threads are a constant here on GAF along with US sales threads It is no one's fault that realible EU numbers are close to impossible to come by. GAF pays attention to realible numbers from realible sources. When numbers come in, they are discussed. It is on topic of those threads to discuss sales in that region.

madmackem

fuzzyreactor said:
you still are assuming they are exclusively related. Take FIFA for example. Top selling game in euro but why would someone buy one system over another if they both can play it. Thats where the other content comes in. If i can get the big MP game i want plus a bunch of other exclusives only on one system i would go with that system. There are numerous ps3 exclusives on the euro software chart. So while they might not be the best selling that still may be factoring why ps3 is outselling 360

Sony is pushing fifa in europe, the ads are all ps3 and sony is pretty big on ads at football you cant see a champions league game without sony and ps3 all over the boards and even the tv scoreboard.

mujun

fuzzyreactor said:
coming from the guy spreading FUD about darks souls being better on 360 toward launch and getting defense about people saying the community wold be better on ps3(which it is)

Keen to start up a fanboy war, huh? No point, you win.

Edit: Never started any FUD. Prove it or screw off.

mujun said:
6.3 vs 5.5 is dominating?
That is the world wide numbers.

For Europe

Code:
            TOTAL   US      EU      JP
PS3          6.3    2.42    [B]2.79    [/B]1.11
NDS          5.5    2.67    2.26    0.60
360          5.5    3.45    [B]1.98 [/B]   0.09

so 2.79 vs. 1.98 is about 40% higher sales for the PS3 in Europe.

jcm

OldJadedGamer said:
Not true. Mediacreate threads are a constant here on GAF along with US sales threads It is no one's fault that realible EU numbers are close to impossible to come by. GAF pays attention to realible numbers from realible sources. When numbers come in, they are discussed. It is on topic of those threads to discuss sales in that region.

What's not true? That lots of GAFfers don't pay attention to non-US sales? We get worldwide shipment numbers every quarter, and every quarter people are surprised that the PS3 has been outselling the 360 consistently.

Here's an example. March NPD - 857 posts, even though we never got Sony numbers.

Two weeks later, the Q1 version of this thread - 100 posts, despite the fact that we had much better data.

Raonak

Banned
Anyone know the PS3-360 sales gap now?

So it does look like the 360 US lead is being covered by the PS3 JPN lead. europe is the decider.

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
LOCK said:
The PS3 is doing great. If not for America the 360 would be a clear third place. The Wii is slowing, but holidays are more important.
US and the UK, PS3 doesn't do that well in the UK like it does in the (rest of) Europe.

Top Bottom