• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurovision Songcontest 2011 |OT| Yes, this is what Europe sounds like

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fritz

DrM said:
According to some rumblings, Armenia will not participate in next year's event, due to their border problems with Karabah region. Armenia wants it and Azerbaijan wants it.

I think they should totally attend! Eurovision is the language of love and then they could be, like, super friends again!

Xater

Ok it seems like the impression me and my friends had were not so different from the one here. We were in serious disbelief about the voting. WTF was going on there yesterday? How did Greece get any points? That song was the worst of them all. How the fuck did Azerbaijan win?

At least the Italian song made number 2 but I am pretty sure I hated pretty much everything else in the top 10.

Casp0r

Banned
They really need to bring in some independent judgers ... the international political circle jerk that is the voting system is really failing and making this contest a joke.

Peru

Casp0r said:
They really need to bring in some independent judgers ... the international political circle jerk that is the voting system is really failing and making this contest a joke.

Friend voting will always be present as long as there's a public vote. The juries currently there are as 'independent' as you get. And for all the endless harping on about it, the two last years (2009, 2010) the winners have been crystal clear, and not at all from block voting.

Azerbaijan probably got some block help to get past Italy, but it's really not that big an issue. Makes for some good jokes as well.

Casp0r said:

in the end only number one counts. and the last 2 winners were Germany and Norway. If the Song and performance is the best (well the most comptible) you win.

also: people with the same culture liking the same music, surprise. i dont think everything in the block for example is because of politics.

sure, some votes are, but not as heavily as many say.

Having never watched Eurovision before and not knowing too much of the geography or political climate of that part of the world, I picked Azerbaijan, Ukraine or Slovenia to win. And they came in 1st, 4th and 13th respectively. I am satisfied. It's a fun contest.

I usually watch American Idol and other singing competitions in the US and this was something different. The Idol people did a similar contest once with 10 Idol winners from different shows around the world, and used the same points system. I thought it was really fun even if Kelly Clarkson didn't win. But they never did it again.

Jedward make me feel uneasy, I've read about identical twins who can't exist without each other, they spend all of their time together and don't have friends, partners etc... and this seems to be exactly what Jedward are like, it's creepy as hell.

FleaTheMagician said:
I usually watch American Idol and other singing competitions in the US and this was something different. The Idol people did a similar contest once with 10 Idol winners from different shows around the world, and used the same points system. I thought it was really fun even if Kelly Clarkson didn't win. But they never did it again.

Yeah, I remember that. I was pissed off because they said the UK singer (Will Young) was shit, he's a fucking great singer!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P42eGhW7qNo

justin.au

Just finished screening in Aus.

Estonia and Moldova were my favourites. I thought Azerbaijan was pretty average, but, whatever. Good fun.

I just got the Eurovision CD. I wasn't sold on Italy's live performance, but I can hear now why they came in 2nd place. And I REALLY think Slovenia should have placed higher, this song is great.

MrHicks

Banned
Sickboy007 said:
Azerbaijan should at least have the song in azerbaijani next year. They never sang in their language till now.

singing in language almost nobody understands = forget about winning chances
its why 90% sing in english

Xater

GCX said:
How well did the song with the sand witch rank in the end?

I think it was top 10 and I believe everyone just voted for it because of the sand lady. I could not tell you anything about the song itself.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I think if the rest of Jedward's songs are as catchy as Lipstick, they could do well, at least in a local-ish way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom