• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Everybody's Gone to the Rapture |OT| A Cosy Catastrophe

iJ5khz1.jpg

Launch Trailer|Behind the Scenes

General Information
Developer: The Chinese Room
Genre: Adventure
Platforms: PlayStation 4, PC

About
Deep within the Shropshire countryside, the village of Yaughton stands empty. Toys lie forgotten in the playground, the wind blows quarantine leaflets around the silent churchyard. Down on Appleton’s farm, crops rustle untended, the early harvest abandoned halfway through. The birds lie where they have fallen. A pair of shoes hang from the overhead wires. The windmill continues to turn unobserved. Strange voices haunt the radio waves as uncollected washing hangs listlessly on the line. There is light in the wires. The televisions are tuned to vacant channels. Above it all, the telescopes of the Observatory point out at dead stars and endless darkness. And someone remains behind, to try and unravel the mystery.

Further Reading
Secret Blog ARG
From Inspiration to Prototype
Writing a score for the end of the world
Dan Pinchbeck on rapture, religion, and "The Chinese Room" feel
Storytelling in Everybody's Gone to the Rapture

Soundtrack
Jessica Curry, who created the music for Dear Esther and Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs, did the soundtrack for this game as well. You can purchase it below on Amazon. US link here. Also available on Spotify.

Reviews
There's a dedicated thread for them.

Thanks to Dr Zhivago for the tag.

Thanks to iNvid02 for helping me out with the banner and Cory Schmitz who made the image it's based on.

:)

In case anyone's wondering,'cosy catastrophe' was a term used to describe the works of John Wyndham (Day of the Triffids, The Kraken Wakes), which were an influence on this.

Enjoyed Rignall's review at USGamer. I've been looking forward to this for a while. Really nice to scoop that pre-order discount, too.

I didn't realise this game was coming out so soon i.e. now. Suddenly really really interested and looking forward to playing it.

Preordered on PSN ($3 discount if you have PS+) an hour ago, and bought The Vanishing of Ethan Carter while I was at it, another game I've been interested in but am yet to play.

This game looks beautiful from a graphical/art direction standpoint.

:)

In case anyone's wondering,'cosy catastrophe' was a term used to describe the works of John Wyndham (Day of the Triffids, The Kraken Wakes), which were an influence on this.

I had never heard of it until you originally posted that and I plan on checking out some novels that fall under the category.

What is the gameplay style of this? The theme looks really intriguing.

It seems to be similar to Gone Home and The Vanishing of Ethan Carter.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Hyped!

Went on a blackout regarding this game. It is still not up for pre-order in the European stores. A Sony MVP on Twitter told me that it will be up at release. Do we have confirmation of that?

- J - D -

I was just about to buy Life is Strange or King's Quest because I had an itch for adventure. Maybe I'll hold off until we get some final impressions of this instead. It looks interesting.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Congrats to TCR for finally getting this out. I won't be able to enjoy it, but I'm happy to see how much they've grown since Dear Esther hit years ago. Best of luck in the launch, Dan, Jessica, and the others <3

- J - D -

You should get Life is Strange anyway
It's pretty cheap on GMG if you game on PC

I was probably going to anyway, but because the final episode is a couple months off I felt it was okay to hold off. Plus, my gaming pc needs some repairs so for now it's just the PS4, which makes the very near release of Everybody's Gone to the Rapture seem like perfect timing.

Ninja Dom

So what exactly do you do?

Is this an action based adventure (The Walking Dead)? An action game like Last of Us?

Are the devs English?

SZips

FYI: The soundtrack is also available on Spotify if you prefer that.

Also, just pre-ordered. Been looking forward to this one for quite some time now. Really glad to see there's a pre-load.

Certinty

Hopefully a midnight release for EU PSN.
I was just about to buy Life is Strange or King's Quest because I had an itch for adventure. Maybe I'll hold off until we get some final impressions of this instead. It looks interesting.
Get Life Is Strange. This game may well be great but 4-6 hours doesn't come close to how many hours LiS will give you, it's honestly my GOTY too.

andylsun

Just bought. Intrigued and as a Brit, will be interesting to see an English setting.

Edit: influenced by Day of the Triffids? Oh
wow.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Can't wait. I love gaming these days, so many amazing, high quality experimental things you never saw before.

ElTorro

Does has anybody have the store link for the UK? Can't seem to find it on the web store myself. :(

It's not available in Europe for pre-order, for whatever reason.

It is supposed to appear in the store on release day.

ElTorro

Okay. I was forgetting the EU store doesn't update until Wednesday. :/

It still makes no sense that the game is not available for preorder in Europe. Preorders usually are made available in the stores weeks or months before release.

Fisty

Dying for the green light on this one, very intrigued from what little ive allowed myself to watch.

Definitely wish Morpheus had dropped before this though :(

joecanada

Is this the kind of game that you're supposed to play all in one session for the best experience?

without any spoilers what is the object of the game? do you walk around interacting with environments? investigate stuff? can you manipulate objects?

kind of forgot about the game but looking forward to it.

WITHE1982

For those that have pre-loaded this in the U.S. How large is the download? Be nice to know if I've got a chance of playing this tonight/tomorrow am.

Top Bottom