• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Gaiden: 4 Warriors of Light (DS) official site opens (now with VIDEO!!)

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
The gameplay ideas expressed certainly sound like it could be cool, but my god is it one ugly fucking game.

Teknoman

Director: Takashi Tokita (FF4, Chrono Trigger, Live-a-Live, Parasite Eve, FF4 The After Years, Half-boiled Hero series)
:D

Also theme sounds like a revamped FF prologue theme.

Teknoman

Too bad the music wont be in the same style. The theme song sounds cool, but would've been nice to get some current gen mystic quest style music.

leroidys

Well from the only two things I can observe on the website, it has fucking awesome art and music, and Yoshida + Tokita.
Disappointment incoming?

Lightning

Banned
Deadly Monk said:
Thank god Square is keeping Yoshida around. I don't know how many Nomura games I can take...
Heh, I feel the opposite. I would be a lot more interested in this game if Nomura was involved. Oh well, I will keep my eye on this game anyway but my expectations are low, especially in the character design department.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
leroidys said:
Disappointment incoming?
Here you go:
2dskdvm.jpg
2z8xncn.jpg
wgxava.jpg

http://www.4gamer.net/games/094/G009490/20090706005/

Link1110 said:
Final Fantasy Gaiden doesn't necessarily mean FF1. Seiken Densetsu 1 had FF Gaiden in the title, and it was just a series spinoff (at the very least because FF1 didn't have chocobos.)

Seiken Densetsu was actually planned prior to FF, ironically enough.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I personally think it looks awesome. For some reason it reminds me, specifically that town & river screenshot, of that blocky texture to the sprites that was so relevant within C64 games and I suppose a lot of my attraction is based on growing up as a C64 gamer.

Aeana

Cool, so it has something called a "crown system" that facilitates changing jobs for your characters.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Sweet Christmas at the graphics. Bleh.

They should make a Live A Live sequel instead.

duckroll

I finally figured out what game the graphics remind me of. The canned Resident Evil for GBC. The way the backgrounds are handled and the general art direction is definitely similar to that.

Aeana

I really like the graphical style itself, but I think what's a little unappealing is the low color depth look. Like when you take a full color image and reduce its color depth in Photoshop. That's how it looks to me. Not really a big deal, though -- the game itself sounds neat.

duckroll

Wanna see trailer. It's really hard for me to get excited about this until we see how it actually looks in motion and how the game plays and sounds. A lot of what we have now is really just speculation based on a few screenshots. I'm really surprised they didn't launch the teaser site with a long trailer, since they did for Blood of Bahamut. If this is coming out in Fall 2009, that's just 2-4 months away!

CTLance

Hmmm, I am now a bit more optimistic, even though the graphics still don't look all that good, even for the DS. I guess I'll need to watch a trailer or something.

Teknoman said:
Director: Takashi Tokita (FF4, Chrono Trigger, Live-a-Live, Parasite Eve, FF4 The After Years, Half-boiled Hero series)
:D
Why didn't you bold Live a Live too? I am so disappointed in you. :(

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
CTLance said:
Hmmm, I am now a bit more optimistic, even though the graphics still don't look all that good, even for the DS. I guess I'll need to watch a trailer or something.

Why didn't you bold Live a Live too? I am so disappointed in you. :(

Obviously he hasnt played it. Poor, unfortunate soul.

Deku

Banned
Aeana said:
I really like the graphical style itself, but I think what's a little unappealing is the low color depth look. Like when you take a full color image and reduce its color depth in Photoshop. That's how it looks to me. Not really a big deal, though -- the game itself sounds neat.

It reminds me of the 'paintbrush' filter in Photoshop where the features of a photograph are stylized into paint dabs.

It actually looks quite appealing too. I suppose this is how they imagined a retro RPG done in 3D might look, which isn't really too far obb base. It is certainly a refreshing non-cel shaded attempt, and I can imagine it running at a better framerate than the more cluttered Matrix FF games that preceded it.

I had hoped this was going to be a straight 2-D RPG but doing it like this is fine too and you can't say they just lazily borowed their FFIV libraries and reskinned it for a new game.

Darkpen

Banned
Artistically, that looks really fucking awesome. I was imagining how awesome a PSP game would look by taking advantage of the pixelization by using flat colors
(I was fantasizing about how awesome a PSP Valkyria Chronicles game would be)
, and here this pops out of nowhere, showing its awesomeness.

I want to see it in motion! Aaauugh

KTallguy

Banned
speedpop said:
I personally think it looks awesome. For some reason it reminds me, specifically that town & river screenshot, of that blocky texture to the sprites that was so relevant within C64 games and I suppose a lot of my attraction is based on growing up as a C64 gamer.

I do like that. I doubt it will come across that way on a DS screen though :(

Rotanibor

Wow. I realllly don't see why people are hatin' on these. I love the graphical style, the first image of the outdoors shot looks especially great to me. I am hyped for this game now.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
I just love the trees for some reason.
Very much will buy this game.

Aeana

Dascu said:
The game looks nice and all, but I guess this means they're not working on FFV DS? Oh bugger. :(
While they probably aren't, I don't think anything about this makes it less likely. Matrix is clearly very large, as they've put out a bunch of games just in the last year alone, and Tokita wouldn't/shouldn't be working on FF5.

The art direction and music are quite wonderful. Shame about the graphics. :\

The song on the site is so good, I've been listening to it for like 20 minutes.

After I corrected my anticipation status from "excited" to "mon Dieu", I decided to upload both the chiptune and arranged versions of the main theme because it's such a well-composed piece of music. Direct extraction, so no quality loss.

duckroll

Aeana said:
While they probably aren't, I don't think anything about this makes it less likely. Matrix is clearly very large, as they've put out a bunch of games just in the last year alone, and Tokita wouldn't/shouldn't be working on FF5.

It's not like S-E really needs Matrix for FFV anyway, if SaGa2 and KH DS are any indication...

Haru

Rough and quick translation of a couple of pages:
-------------------
'Message' page: (second from the bottom)

That new and fresh feeling you couldn't get from anything but a game.
Fun _because_ it was a game; that exciting, nervous feeling.
Returning to the starting point, a revival/restoration of the old way, looking to the past to create the new.
Indeed, this is a tale of an adventure, pure and by this virtue powerful.
-Director, Takashi Tokita

I am very happy that we've been able to announce our main product.
[A classic fantasy RPG with today's technology]
This concept follows from the DS versions of FFIII and FFIV.
The charm of the age of classic RPGs, before RPGs became JRPGs.
-This we have stuffed the game with. Abundantly.
A nostalgic whilst also new experience- we would like you to try it.
-Tomoya Asano

--Introduction--
(second page from the top)
One morning, for a boy named Brando (Bland, Brand, etc. )living in Hollun (Horrun Horun, Holn, etc. Probably not Horn ), his birthday is upon him. Today is the first time he'll be visiting the castle. And the day he'll be recognized as an adult. When he sets foot in the castle however, he finds the King distraught.
It seems the princess has been snatched by the "Witch of the North". And with that Brando decides he will venture forth to save the princess.

4 young boys and girls will meet and depart many a time,
Sometimes they will quarrel, and whilst building relationships, before long they will be saving the world.

It is such a story, a classical fantasy.
------------------

As I said, rough, but it gets the contents across. I'm excited, wonder how old school it'll really turn out.

Edit: Fixed DS FF numbering

Totakeke

Hey, those screens aren't half bad, backgrounds are awesome, and the 3d models looks okay-ish with some cel-shading like quality to them.

It does have me wondering though, how exactly are you going to enter/interact with that pastel-like house?

Llyranor

The look kind of reminds me of 3D 7th Dragon.

I'm hoping the 1-4 is an optional 4p co-op mode. Co-op turn-based resurgence, woooooooo!

:(

Jonnyram

From the messages on the site, it sounds like they're deliberately trying to make something like the old Famicom FFs, but using modern tech and things they've learnt. Sounds like a cool idea, but worried the story might not be too interesting, in which case it would just end up being a paint-by-numbers JRPG :/

Jonnyram said:
Sounds like a cool idea, but worried the story might not be too interesting, in which case it would just end up being a paint-by-numbers JRPG :/
Well, there's the old-school style JRPG story, and the contemporary JRPG story... If the story turns out to be lighter, less broody old-school SNES-style, that might not be a bad thing. We haven't seen much of those in a while from FF aside from remakes (even the FFCC DS games turned out to be pretty depressing).

Since Tokita is making the game, hopefully this is indeed the case.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Jonnyram said:
From the messages on the site, it sounds like they're deliberately trying to make something like the old Famicom FFs, but using modern tech and things they've learnt. Sounds like a cool idea, but worried the story might not be too interesting, in which case it would just end up being a paint-by-numbers JRPG :/
Which hasn't really existed in the past however many years. So that's pretty exciting.

Rpgmonkey

I kinda like the colors in the backgrounds.

Not much else to say besides the names of the characters being a little weird.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Has a painting quality to it. Love the music from the site. Been listening to it for at least 10 minutes now.

It's gonna look great in motion. Definite buy in 2010.

gkryhewy

Haru said:
I am very happy that we've been able to announce our main product.
[A classic fantasy RPG with today's technology]

This concept follows from the DS versions of FFIII and FFIV.
The charm of the age of classic RPGs, before RPGs became JRPGs.
-This we have stuffed the game with. Abundantly.
A nostalgic whilst also new experience- we would like you to try it.
-Tomoya Asano

sold!

Top Bottom