• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Ghostbusters' reboot starts filming in Boston this week

Status
Not open for further replies.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
jackie-chan.jpg

I like how Jackie Chan looks like an old lady here.

Jawmuncher

I'm just surprised they're making it a reboot. Would have thought even without getting everyone they would mention the older group. In a sense like "there was this old squad awhile back" but then things calmed down and they were no longer needed.

Doesn't matter to me though, I'll see it regardless.

So Wiigs the Venkman, blonde chick, the Egon (now matches the cartoon), McCarthy the Stantz and Jones the Winston. They went straight-up gender-bending.

Hale-XF11

Well, since they're really doing it for reals, I hope it's good and lives up to its predecessors. I have my doubts, but I'll wait and see.

DuffDry

I hope it shatters records while doing everything in its power to piss off fans of the originals. I'll be supporting it, that's for sure.

The way people reacted to the film's announcement, they deserve nothing less.

So Wiigs the Venkman, blonde chick, the Egon (now matches the cartoon), McCarthy the Stantz and Jones the Winston. They went straight-up gender-bending.

I believe if we're playing analogs, that Wiig is closer to Egon, Jones is Stantz, McCarthy is Winston, and McKinnon is... also Egon.

I don't know that there's a Venkman this time out. Which makes sense.

is there any way that because they are using the same logo this movie could possibly be taking place in the same universe as the original?

No. From the director.

Yeah. I love origin stories. That’s my favorite thing. I love the first one so much I don’t want to do anything to ruin the memory of that. So it just felt like, let’s just restart it because then we can have new dynamics. I want the technology to be even cooler. I want it to be really scary, and I want it to happen in our world today that hasn’t gone through it so it’s like, oh my God what’s going on?

Maybe it's my experience with comics, but I'm not sure why that's so important to people.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
is there any way that because they are using the same logo this movie could possibly be taking place in the same universe as the original?
I just think of it as Earth 2 in a Multiverse of Ghostbusters. So the logo and other things staying the same makes a little bit of sense.

But thank god they're not messing with the logo. It's one of the most iconic logos in human history, haha. I think it's right up there with Mickey Mouse, Coca-Cola, and a few others.

Karkador

Banned
I heard they built a subway set that looks fantastic

As for it being filmed in/around Boston, you gotta realize that a lot of film projects these days have moved out of the big cities, because the price tag is a lot lower, and digital film production has changed the game (no surprise there).

It's true that the New York backdrop from the films of the 80s is missing, but it's not like current-day NYC looks like that anyway. Achieving that look is going to involve faking it, no matter what.

big ander

I have a feeling that something other than shooting location is the cause of the vitriol.
Heh, missed this before but yuuuuuup.
This statement pretty much sums up this whole movie perfectly.
tbh it more accurately sums up a lack of knowledge regarding moviemaking in general
Okay for real, the original was largely not shot in New York either. It was shot in Los Angeles. Most movies are not shot where they are set.
I hope it shatters records while doing everything in its power to piss off fans of the originals. I'll be supporting it, that's for sure.

The way people reacted to the film's announcement, they deserve nothing less.
At this point, me too. Before I wasn't really for or against the idea but the level of instant hate has me hoping this'll be a box office smash.
Before Spy, I was a bit apprehensive. After? Bring it on.
Spy was nice.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Wonder if they're gonna have the yellow/clear tube thing sticking out from the left leg? As a hardcore fan and owner of a movie accurate GB costume myself, I have no idea what that thing does. It just hooks up to my belt in the back.

Would like a twist on the logo. Wouldn't be surprised if the OG logo patch on the uniforms is a placeholder for the new one in these PR shots. Girl ghost logo? Hope so anyway. :)

fritolay

Would like a twist on the logo. Wouldn't be surprised if the OG logo patch on the uniforms is a placeholder for the new one in these PR shots. Girl ghost logo? Hope so anyway. :)

Girl ghost logo? Please lets not make everything male female a ghost is a ghost dammit

Maximo

Spy while I haven't seen it, looks pretty decent and heard some good reviews of the movie. Im definitely not expecting something as defining as Ghostbusters 1 but It could be alot of fun. Finally it seems like a bit more work and care are being put into more *women* centred movies instead of the godful stuff that's vomited each year (Mainly RomComs) by directors/actors that are just doing it for a quick buck.

Often disappointed in how bad alot of women centred movies are and im glad to see finally people are realizing fuck there is a audience out there for more movies with women in them awell as wanting them to be *better quality*

One thing about this movie that I was always sure of was that there was not a fucking chance in hell they would touch the logo.

According to the leaks from several months ago they actually aren't just gender-bent versions of the originals, they're unique characters. Which, I mean, I guess it's nice because otherwise they're just gonna fall into the trap of what you just did.

I'm just surprised they're making it a reboot. Would have thought even without getting everyone they would mention the older group. In a sense like "there was this old squad awhile back" but then things calmed down and they were no longer needed.

Doesn't matter to me though, I'll see it regardless.
Feig has a major fucking hard-on for origin stories and wanted to retell the "humanity discovering ghosts" so badly that he made it a reboot. Otherwise I'd agree with you that there was absolutely no reason to reboot it - could have just had the GB team die and in Ray's will he left the company to his niece, played by Wiig.

Spy while I haven't seen it, looks pretty decent and heard some good reviews of the movie. Im definitely not expecting something as defining as Ghostbusters 1 but It could be alot of fun. Finally it seems like a bit more work and care are being put into more *women* centred movies instead of the godful stuff that's vomited each year (Mainly RomComs) by directors/actors that are just doing it for a quick buck.

Often disappointed in how bad alot of women centred movies are and im glad to see finally people are realizing fuck there is a audience out there for more movies with women in them awell as wanting them to be *better quality*

I just hope that Feig realizes that this should have ATMOSPHERE and that the first was good because it was a comedy that wasn't really shot or directed like a comedy. The humor was very sarcastic but it had a tone and plenty of horror elements. Most comedies now lack a sense of cinema. They're all sterile looking, lack cinenatography, and have a very in your face style of funny. That's why I'm usually hard to please when it comes to comedies because most of them may as well just be on a stage; who needs cameras if you're not going to use them? That isn't Ghostbusters and the more Feig realizes that the better off we'll be. This shouldn't be like Spy or Bridesmaids and that's what has me cautious, but I'm willing to see how it goes.

I'm not saying it should be just like the first one, but for the love of God have some class.

I just hope that Feig realizes that this should have ATMOSPHERE and that the first was good because it was a comedy that wasn't really shot or directed like a comedy. The humor was very sarcastic but it had a tone and plenty of horror elements. Most comedies now lack a sense of cinema. They're all sterile looking, lack cinenatography, and have a very in your face style of funny. That's why I'm usually hard to please when it comes to comedies because most of them may as well just be on a stage; who needs cameras if you're not going to use them? That isn't Ghostbusters and the more Feig realizes that the better off we'll be. This shouldn't be like Spy or Bridesmaids and that's what has me cautious, but I'm willing to see how it goes.

I'm not saying it should be just like the first one, but for the love of God have some class.

Well, at the very least Feig (and Tatum, for that matter) have both said that they want the new GB movies to be actually scary and have a sense of danger and peril for the characters amidst the comedy.

Well, at the very least Feig (and Tatum, for that matter) have both said that they want the new GB movies to be actually scary and have a sense of danger and peril for the characters amidst the comedy.

Some things about it give me hope, but I'm not getting my hopes up. Out of all my friends I've been the least down about it. But again in order to be scary or even creepy there has to be a tone there established by quality filmmaking and that isnt something I associate with modern comedy directors. Edgar Wright being one of the few. So we'll see and hope that he does what he says. I have no reason yet to believe that he's full of shit though.

Oh my goddddd <3 They look perfect! Similar but not exactly the same, didn't mess with the logo, and they're gonna be on a badass quartet of ladies. If you're unfamiliar with either of the lesser known ladies, I highly suggest watching a few episodes of the latest season of SNL. Leslie Jones & Kate McKinnon are freakin' brilliant, they're both a big part of why I started watching the show again.

Pilgrimzero

The female Egon looks more like some sort of new age spiritualist wiccan or something instead of a hardcore scientist.

Or a scientist by way of Doc Brown. More Wacky Scientist than super logical one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom