• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO The Hobbit confirmed for XB1, 360, PS4, PS3, PSV, Wii U, 3DS, PC, Mac (Q2 2014)

As mentioned before the Harry Potter games cover 4 films each and the Star Wars games cover 3 films each. The Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Pirates of the Caribbean and LotR games cover entire trilogies (Pirates has 4 too) and complete the "story" of the game. They don't leave the main thread of the plot hanging. This is more to do with whoever it is that owns the film rights not wanting anything getting spoiled for the third film than anything else, but they still should have waited to release them all together. If there were another two films coming then it might be comparable to the Harry Potter series, but there isn't. They're stretching the one remaining film to fit an entire game, whereas every single movie license released previously has had at least three films covered.

Yeah, an entire There and Back Again game does seem like milking even by licensed game standards. Should have just waited until 2015.

winjet81

With yet another garbage gimped down Lego game for PSVita on the way, it's probably worth the wait to see if we get a PSVita - playable Gaikai streamed PS3/PS4 version instead for sometime in 2014.

What are the chances of this happening?

Rootbeer

Banned
Seriously? Splitting the last film in the Hobbit trilogy into its own game? There can't be THAT much material! This is madness.

Kinda feel it will suck tbh?

Just have one last trophy for PS3 Lego LOTR and might do the Vita one day since I got it with PS+

Cool. My girlfriend and kid really really liked Lego LOTR, and I've been meaning to play it one of these days. I'll be buying it for sure.

jonno394

Seriously? Splitting the last film in the Hobbit trilogy into its own game? There can't be THAT much material! This is madness.

Well the final film will include the battle of the five armies and then any of the additional stuff they will be touching on to bridge the gap between The Hobbit and LOTR (so how much content that actually is, who knows).

I'd be delighted if the third film content came out as DLC for this game after the movie hits the cinemas.

Not surprised at how this is being released, or the fact that it's on everything. There's no reason for it to not be on every console. It'll be on iOS soon after, too.

I'd be annoyed, if only the LEGO games didn't get progressively better each time. LEGO Marvel is incredibly well made and fun.

Blizzard

Banned
9 platforms to rule them all! I wonder how much design they can do in a relative platform-independent fashion, and how much has to be tailored.

Kouriozan

Also surprised this is coming on Wii U.
The userbase still have a chance to show they'll support 3rd party games
lol

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
They might as well put it on Wii as well since I think that would garner more sales than a WiiU version.

They also need online and maybe another open world type game like Lego Undercover. Pity I won't be playing that game until a long while since it's a WiiU exclusive.

When was the last Lego game that had online co op? Could you imagine 4 players online helping each other with bigger levels to accommodate?! Lego needs a shakeup to keep things somewhat fresh. I know the demo is big and has a large younger following but you have to give something new sometime.

Tsundere

Banned
Warner Bros Interactive just confirmed that a LEGO The Hobbit video game would be released in Spring 2014 for PlayStation 4, PlayStation 3, Vita, Wii U, Xbox One, Xbox 360, 3DS, PC, and Mac.

That's a lot of platforms! Still haven't bought Lego Marvel.

Wasp

Lego LotR is probably my favourite Lego game so this is good news.

I'm not too concerned about three films being split into two games, every Lego game has had at least 30 hours of content and this will probably be no different.

With yet another garbage gimped down Lego game for PSVita on the way, it's probably worth the wait to see if we get a PSVita - playable Gaikai streamed PS3/PS4 version instead for sometime in 2014.

What are the chances of this happening?

You should check out LEGO Marvel in the Vita. It's actually pretty damned good compared to the last few shitty DS/3DS ports. It's a basically a brawler with a 3/4 camera perspective (think Diablo).

jmizzal

Why are people surprised this is coming to WiiU?
WiiU has a Lego exclusive game and has gotten all of the recent Lego games, and is even getting Lego Movie the game.

drproton

Will be interesting to compare the Vita version with the PS4 version running on Vita. I believe this is the first such game to have separate PS4 and Vita versions, right?

Unfortunately it will probably be an up-port of the 3DS version rather than a down-port of the last-gen consoles.

They won't be comparable.

TimFL

Well the final film will include the battle of the five armies and then any of the additional stuff they will be touching on to bridge the gap between The Hobbit and LOTR (so how much content that actually is, who knows).

I'd be delighted if the third film content came out as DLC for this game after the movie hits the cinemas.

This. People seem to forget that the PC users do FINALLY get the DLC too on Steam (it's been confirmed for LEGO Marvel, one'd think future titles get the DLC on Steam too). It just wouldn't make any sense to split the hobbit into 2 LEGO games (I know they did it with e.g. Harry Potter, but that was acceptable because both games covered a lot of content).

They could easily release the 3rd movie as a DLC. I mean I would hate to launch 2 different games just to play through the whole story (not to mention that they usually scrap a few characters and add new ones in sequels, you'd have no way of using them in the first game). They probably already have access to the 3 movies for their story (+ I think the audio is already recorded for the 3rd movie?) so they're probably done on release with the whole story.

I just hope they finally re-work the character grid... LEGO LOTR had all costumes as seperate character slots, LEGO HP & Marvel had the rotation system for character variations that was way too fast when you want to select a variation and way to slow when you were waiting for one (they should let us select a char and then scroll through variations or use X/Rectangle to change the variation manually).

Teletraan1

Banned
At least we dont have to have a port begging thread for this game where we use a bunch of mental gymnastics to justify it not coming out to XY console.

Warner Bros Interactive just confirmed that a LEGO The Hobbit video game would be released in Spring 2014 for PlayStation 4, PlayStation 3, PS Vita, Wii U, Xbox One, Xbox 360, 3DS, PC, and Mac.

I've heard of the PS triple, but this is ridiculous!

/Rimshot

Top Bottom