• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LOST 06.06: "Sundown" (58. Heidecker, 59. Sales, 60. Buttons, 61. Brule...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

gdt

AgentWhiskersX said:
is it like the gilligan's islands or the castaway?

Like neither.

The show is about a group of people who crash land on a mysterious island.

Thats the basic logline I can give while not spoiling anything.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
YoungHav said:
:lol Except Wire fans have a whole lot more to be snobby about. No comparison.
/snobbery

Zeliard

Man, finding time to balance between Lost and Final Fantasy XIII is going to be a bitch tomorrow night.

But that's what they call one of them good problems.

Yaweee

BenjaminBirdie said:
Those are more names from the compass in the lighthouse. Oddly enough they are either popular comedians or fake doctors.

But not those exact numbers (Burke is 58).

Going to Lost-media looking for the images of the lighthouse compass spoiled me on "Dr. Linus'" B-plot a bit through promotional images. But.... niiiiice.

big ander

AgentWhiskersX said:
is it like the gilligan's islands or the castaway?
gilligan.jpg

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Fringe 60%
LOST 40%

smh

Solo

Someone preferring Fringe to LOST just does not compute. And I say this as a Fringe lover and someone who preferred Fringe S1 to the simultaneously airing LOST S5. But to compare LOST as a series to Fringe as a series (so far), its not even close.

Chris R

BenjaminBirdie said:
Those are more names from the compass in the lighthouse. Oddly enough they are either popular comedians or fake doctors.
Ok :lol I was just wondering why Heidecker and Brule were in the title since those names are tied into TAEASGJ :lol

Can't wait for tomorrow!

Hey guys, new to this thread.

Literally JUST caught up with all of Lost because of a backlog of episodes I h ad to watch. I watched the last 4 episodes of Season 5, and all of Season 6 thus far this weekend with my fiancee.

WTF at samurai man dying?!? That was the shortest long-term epic character ever.

Also, we have the explanation of the numbers, yes, but that still doesn't explain why they were in weird places - places that wouldn't make sense necessarily. I guess what I'm saying is, if Jacob arbitrarily decided the numbers of the candidates for who would be next to protect the island, why on earth would he plaster their numbers everywhere? Is he that forgetful? Just seems dumb IMO now looking back, no matter how I think about it.

Also, I understand mythology, but that Lighthouse was shining on Jack’s parent’s house, not his own, and it seems like it ‘chose’ him when he was a child. What the hell? Seriously? The coordinates of the lighthouse just happened to precariously shine on the street view of his house? That is completely unrealistic and frankly, uncalled for given the previous elegance of the details within the Lost universe.

And the casting for Jacob was terrible. I couldn't think of a frat boy who was less qualified to fulfill the role of one of the most enigmatic characters in the show. His acting has literally no subtleties to it.

gdt

Yeesh, you're like the first person to rag on Jacob's casting.

NO ONE, anywhere has called that a bad choice.

Yaweee

gdt5016 said:
Yeesh, you're like the first person to rag on Jacob's casting.

NO ONE, anywhere has called that a bad choice.

All three of Pellegrino's recent TV roles (Lucifer/Paul/Jacob) have been vastly different, but he pulled them all off. I'm really looking forward to seeing him more over the rest of the season.

Solo

While I dont think Pellegrino is bad casting, I do agree that they could have done better. He plays the role with far too much smug arrogance. Now, I obviously dont know if thats how its written on paper or how he chooses to play it, but I dont like it, unless Im meant to loathe Jacob. Titus Welliver in comparison was awesome for the MIB. They shoulda grabbed another Deadwood alum for Jacob. Hell, they should have used Welliver for Jacob and Ian McShane for MIB.

It begins... the latest filming update on DarkUFO is from the finale! I didn't read it of course; he's hiding all finale spoilers behind a button, just to be extra safe.

Nameless

Solo said:
While I dont think Pellegrino is bad casting, I do agree that they could have done better. He plays the role with far too much smug arrogance. Now, I obviously dont know if thats how its written on paper or how he chooses to play it, but I dont like it, unless Im meant to loathe Jacob. Titus Welliver in comparison was awesome for the MIB. They shoulda grabbed another Deadwood alum for Jacob. Hell, they should have used Welliver for Jacob and Ian McShane for MIB.

I think think the smugness is intentional. One reason the beach scene is so awesome is because Jacob's sort of fucking with MIB, pushing his buttons and you can see MIB getting slightly annoyed as a result. Plus: "You have ink on your forehead". And of course one of the most brilliantly and perfectly delivered lines of the series, "What about you..?". No doubt about it Jacob is a dick, but a well played dick.

Alot of have probably come across this at some point but since we're the Subject.. The casting call for the role of Jacob:

"Any ethnicity, late 30s-60s. Former soldier. A leader of men. Smart but more than that – he is wise. Strong and straightforward. The words he says are always listened to and they carry gravitas. GUEST STAR two episodes. May lead to recurrings. Looking for someone very interesting and very special for this role..."

And for MIB:
"Any ethnicity, 40s-60s. A corporate raider looking to take over his next company. Powerful, devious and obtuse. He has a cunning intellect and a strong sense of danger. GUEST STAR two episodes. May lead to recurring. Looking for someone very interesting and very special for this role"

Solo

Nameless said:
"Any ethnicity, late 30s-60s. Former soldier. A leader of men. Smart but more than that – he is wise. Strong and straightforward. The words he says are always listened to and they carry gravitas. GUEST STAR two episodes. May lead to recurrings. Looking for someone very interesting and very special for this role..."

And for MIB:
"Any ethnicity, 40s-60s. A corporate raider looking to take over his next company. Powerful, devious and obtuse. He has a cunning intellect and a strong sense of danger. GUEST STAR two episodes. May lead to recurring. Looking for someone very interesting and very special for this role"

Bolded could be switched for the Jacob and MIB we've received :lol

Catalix

Solo said:
Actually, you're right :lol

Nameless

Solo said:

:lol no kidding. But TOQ is crapping gravitas in bundles this season.

I may sound like a broken record but if O'quinn doesn't win the Emmy this year it shouldn't even be take seriously. And Holloway deserves a nom too.

Solo

Nameless said:
I may sound like a broken record but if O'quinn doesn't win the Emmy this year it shouldn't even be take seriously. And Holloway deserves a nom too.

The Emmys seem to like O'Quinn (although Im still WTFing over him NOT winning for Walkabout and winning for TMFT. WTF?), so I think a nomination is a fair bet.

neoism

Solo said:
I love Chuck (although admittedly not to the level I once did), but I still agree with Nameless: Monday is just the day before LOST.

Just like Wednesday is just 6 days until LOST :lol
Pretty much, I barely watch TV though, other than LOST I"m only watching House(LTTP, it's fucking awesome), and AOTS. I don't count movies though!

neoism

Zeliard said:
Man, finding time to balance between Lost and Final Fantasy XIII is going to be a bitch tomorrow night.

But that's what they call one of them good problems.
:D :D Yes sir, I can't wait! The mail should come about 12n, soo about 4 or 8 hours:lol of XIII, then LOST. Tomorrow is goina be awesome!!!:D

Aesius

InaudibleWhispa said:
It begins... the latest filming update on DarkUFO is from the finale! I didn't read it of course; he's hiding all finale spoilers behind a button, just to be extra safe.

The last episode of Lost EVER is being filmed right now.

Fucking sad face x100.

Dead

well not really...yet
At the rate Walt has grown, they can start a new show with him as an adult with his own kid!

"ITS A FATHERS RIGHT!!!!!!!"

Speaking of Walt, my buddy was saying the writers are touting him as their "Trump card".

Do you think their gonna delve into what he was seeing/foreseeing?

Yaweee

Major Williams said:
Speaking of Walt, my buddy was saying the writers are touting him as their "Trump card".

Do you think their gonna delve into what he was seeing/foreseeing?

Rumors from years ago were a scene/scenes filmed when he was younger that they've been sitting on until the time is right.

Dead

well not really...yet
Yaweee said:
Rumors from years ago were a scene/scenes filmed when he was younger that they've been sitting on until the time is right.
If Walt still looked the same in season 3, I wouldnt doubt the validity of this.

But I just don't think they had the foresight for that back in season 2 and 1.

I mean they set up the Ajira runway from season 5 right at the beginning of season 3. Probably one of the better set ups in the show right there.

Dead said:
If Walt still looked the same in season 3, I wouldnt doubt the validity of this.

But I just don't think they had the foresight for that back in season 2 and 3.

I mean they set up the Ajira runway from season 5 right at the beginning of season 3. Probably one of the better set ups in the show right there.
So they knew from Season 1 that John Locke was going to become the Avatar for the smoke monster? Perhaps why it didn't kill him?

Edit: Also, Jacob just plucked a Japanese business man from off the street and connected his life force to the protection of the Temple with no backup plan? Sounds like a great plan, Jacob *rolls eyes*.

Dead

well not really...yet
Major Williams said:
So they knew from Season 1 that John Locke was going to become the Avatar for the smoke monster? Perhaps why it didn't kill him?
No way :lol

LOST writers are pretty good at writing around what theyve already established, making it seem like theyve planned things out longer than they actually have.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Major Williams said:

Edit: Also, Jacob just plucked a Japanese business man from off the street and connected his life force to the protection of the Temple with no backup plan? Sounds like a great plan, Jacob *rolls eyes*.
Jacob's eggs aren't in one basket. So far llana, Hurley, and Jack are backups. And the unknown guy coming.

DeathNote said:
Jacob's eggs aren't in one basket. So far llana, Hurley, and Jack are backups. And the unknown guy coming.
None of them were candidates to protect the temple, but the entire Island. Seems dumb IMO. No failsafes.

Doesn't it to you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom