• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MASS EFFECT: ANDROMEDA – Gameplay Series #1: Combat

giphy.gif

I feel like she looks a lot better here, although she's not doing that shepard-esque smile.

God I need this game in my veins

Nah, she still looks bad. Thank god for customization?

Wulfram

In previous games you would usually do a power detonation. Throw was pretty bad. Usually it was Pull or Singularity followed by Warp to explode it.

However Warp isnt in Andromeda so if throw is the detonating power or if Bioware has gone away from that power combo remains to be seen

Throw was great in ME3 because it had a short cooldown and could detonate stuff.

It also does a good amount of damage all by itself to unshielded enemies.

In previous games you would usually do a power detonation. Throw was pretty bad. Usually it was Pull or Singularity followed by Warp to explode it.

However Warp isnt in Andromeda so if throw is the detonating power or if Bioware has gone away from that power combo remains to be seen

Edit. In ME1 Soilder was the best class due to fast healing and the wide range of overpowered gun builds. In ME2 and 3 Vanguard and Sentinal (Biotic/Soilder and Tech/Biotic) were by far the best classes. Biotic attacks were practically essential since they relied on cooldowns rather then finding amo
Thanks for informing me on the past ME games, I appreciate the context.

Do you need ammo/resources for Tech skills like Overload?

Right now I was thinking of a build that uses Concussion Shot/Overloard/And a biotic skill for fun space magic.

When given the option I like to avoid skills that require you to restock items and I'm confused on how skills like Flak Cannon and Grenades seem limited in their capacity.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
We're able to customize our character, right? Facial features included?

Just wondering why people seem to care what the main protag looks like in promo shots or videos, when we're able to alter it to our liking.

I honestly haven't kept up with this game at all, so apologies for my ignorance.
People are lazy a lot don't bother

jdstorm

Banned
Thanks for informing me on the past ME games, I appreciate the context.

Do you need ammo/resources for Tech skills like Overload?

Right now I was thinking of a build that uses Concussion Shot/Overloard/And a biotic skill for fun space magic.

When given the option I like to avoid skills that require you to restock items and I'm confused on how skills like Flak Cannon and Grenades seem limited in their capacity.

In past ME games no. In Mass Effect 2 Infiltrator (tech/combat) is one of the best classes. The Main issue is that concussion shot and overload dont chain together. So you need a teammate to set up your detonation.

In Mass Effect 3 Infiltrator is less viable because power cooldowns are determined by Weapon Weight. Infiltrator being primarily a sniper class means you will be carying a heavy weapon to be effective, yet this basically nerfs your ability to use powers quickly and effectively.

Edit: if that is your goal, you want to play the trillogy as a sentinal. Use Warp vs Biotic barriers and Armor. Overload vs Shields and Tech Armor to make you virtually indestructible.

For Andromeda there will be much more freedom to mix and match so there should be a good mix of builds that suit your playstyle.

Throw was great in ME3 because it had a short cooldown and could detonate stuff.

It also does a good amount of damage all by itself to unshielded enemies.

Throw was OK, but Warp was superior because it tracked targets so less acuracy was required. It also blew up Biotic Barriers and Weakened Armour while still having a reasonably fast cooldown.

Throw was more useful as a crowd control ability when enemies got too close. It was useful. Just not as good as warp

CGwizz

I am going to change the faces in this game , i usually use the ones they give us , like dragon age 2 and mass effect shepard, probably go head shaved male cause the bioware hair is fucking terrible.

My inquisition character looks 10 times better than these faces.

prag16

Banned
In past ME games no. In Mass Effect 2 Infiltrator (pure tech) is one of the best classes. The Main issue is that concussion shot and overload dont chain together. So you need a teammate to set up your detonation.

In Mass Effect 3 Infiltrator is less viable because power cooldowns are determined by Weapon Weight. Infiltrator being primarily a sniper class means you will be carying a heavy weapon to be effective, yet this basically nerfs your ability to use powers quickly and effectively.

Edit: if that is your goal, you want to play the trillogy as a sentinal. Use Warp vs Biotic barriers and Armor. Overload vs Shields and Tech Armor to make you virtually indestructible.

For Andromeda there will be much more freedom to mix and match so there should be a good mix of builds that suit your playstyle.
Engineer is pure tech while Infiltrator is soldier plus tech.

I still loved the class in ME3. You just can't ever carry more than two guns.

Slaythe

I am going to change the faces in this game , i usually use the ones they give us , like dragon age 2 and mass effect shepard, probably go head shaved male cause the bioware hair is fucking terrible.

My inquisition character looks 10 times better than these faces.

I seriously doubt that, if your Dragon Age character is a male human... Because their CC was broken and didn't let you correct awful proportions issues properly.

In past ME games no. In Mass Effect 2 Infiltrator (pure tech) is one of the best classes. The Main issue is that concussion shot and overload dont chain together. So you need a teammate to set up your detonation.

I mean it's been a while since I played 3 but I don't recall having any issues in it as one who's played infiltrator throughout the entire series. Also, infiltrator is hybrid combat/tech not pure. I think I pretty much just carried my sniper (Black Widow, do remember that much) and an SMG in 3 and that took care of the weight issue.

I wanna see what a sniping playstyle will be like with the biotic charge to help move around cover now.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Infiltrator is phenomenal in ME3. Skill perks reduce heavy sniper weight, weapon mods dilate time, damage stacks are insane. I ran the entire game on insanity with only a black window and pistol, used the former 90% of the time, and was a killing machine.

prag16

Banned
Infiltrator is phenomenal in ME3. Skill perks reduce heavy sniper weight, weapon mods dilate time, damage stacks are insane. I ran the entire game on insanity with only a black window and pistol, used the former 90% of the time, and was a killing machine.
Best way to play.

Inquisition's CC was fantastic. I only hated the limited and mostly ugly hair styles (also the beard that most of the time looked like it was glued on), but as far as facial structure went, it was pretty powerful.

If Andromeda takes it further (and they can, since it's focused on human characters only), then it's going to be amazing. They really need to get it together on the hair department, though.

pmj

Throw was OK, but Warp was superior because it tracked targets so less acuracy was required. It also blew up Biotic Barriers and Weakened Armour while still having a reasonably fast cooldown.

Throw was more useful as a crowd control ability when enemies got too close. It was useful. Just not as good as warp
Pull/throw is a great combo. Throw doesn't hit as hard as warp does, but it rechardes faster and you can spec both pull and throw to give you two missiles, giving you lots of explosions.

In fact, fuck warp. No point in using it most of the time.

Wulfram

Pull/throw is a great combo. Throw doesn't hit as hard as warp does, but it rechardes faster and you can spec both pull and throw to give you two missiles, giving you lots of explosions.

In fact, fuck warp. No point in using it most of the time.

Warp then Throw for a biotic combo is probably the Adept's best option against stuff with armour.

Warp then Throw for a biotic combo is probably the Adept's best option against stuff with armour.

Yeah, I used to do that combo all the time during my Nightmare playthrough, broke through most enemies. With a high skill recharge rate, you could throw one combo after the other too, it was really useful.

Black Widow is probably even overkill most of the time. If you have it, I'd argue the N7 Valiant is the best sniper. It's lighter, OHKOs almost all regular enemies, very low recoil, generous ammo pool, very fast reload speed.

Infiltrator in ME3 is incredible though, even on Insanity. Black Widow/Valiant and an SMG was all I needed.

AerialAir

Banned
Inquisition's CC was fantastic. I only hated the limited and mostly ugly hair styles (also the beard that most of the time looked like it was glued on), but as far as facial structure went, it was pretty powerful.

If Andromeda takes it further (and they can, since it's focused on human characters only), then it's going to be amazing. They really need to get it together on the hair department, though.

I... actually didn't like CC in Inquisition, though I rarely enjoy CC tbh. Fallout 4's was okay, but that was one few things I actually liked about that game.

prag16

Banned
Black Widow is probably even overkill most of the time. If you have it, I'd argue the N7 Valiant is the best sniper. It's lighter, OHKOs almost all regular enemies, very low recoil, generous ammo pool, very fast reload speed.
Yeah, but the Black Widow was soooo satisfying. The weight, the punch, all so visceral.

I... actually didn't like CC in Inquisition, though I rarely enjoy CC tbh. Fallout 4's was okay, but that was one few things I actually liked about that game.

What exactly didn't you like? I thought the CC was pretty good for humans, but got a lot more limited for other races. Variety wasn't the best for the Qunari, for instance.
I thought Fallout 4's CC was good too, pretty powerful, but the interface was horrendous. Being able to edit the body shape was great, though. Here's hoping BioWare managed to put that in Andromeda too.

Vire

I think it looks great, but something is a little off.. and I really can't place my finger on what. It just doesn't seem as memorable or special as the first three games and I don't know why.

Maybe it's the environments looking a little empty and devoid of life, or maybe it's the lackluster main character designs. Or maybe it's just because they haven't convinced me of the the story and how it all fits together.

I remain hopeful about it.

This game is going to sell a shit-ton, especially if the multiplayer is a fleshed out version of 3's. Still missing PvP though, if they did that well it could be in the same realm as Destiny gameplay-wise.

What many people don't know about infiltrator in me3 is that cooldown actually doesn't matter. If you activate tactical cloak and then immediately break it by firing your weapon or another power, you will simply have a fairly short 3 second cooldown. This means that you can carry as many weapons as you'd like and have as horrendous of a weight bonus as you want as long as you break cloak immediately. Combined with a good shotgun like the claymore, you have what may be the best class in the game (Geth Infiltrator sure felt like it), as you can two shot most boss level enemies easily.

Also on the subject of warp, doesn't warp + shockwave give you the single most powerful spammable biotic explosion in the game?

I think it looks great, but something is a little off.. and I really can't place my finger on what. It just doesn't seem as memorable or special as the first three games and I don't know why.

Maybe it's the environments looking a little empty and devoid of life, or maybe it's the lackluster main character designs. Or maybe it's just because they haven't convinced me of the the story and how it all fits together.

I'd imagine it doesn't seem as memorable or as special because we barely know anything about it; you haven't yet had the chance to experience the story or the characters. You've already played through and experienced the other 3, so of course they're memorable :)

Also, if the environments here look empty and devoid of life, what did you think about the environments in ME1? lol

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member

I'm guessing once we know more about the story/characters/new lore...it will become a lot more memorable and special.

Kind of hard for those factors to have made an impression on anyone at this point, we know so little (which, to be honest, is so nice IMO).

I'm thinking the AI is extremely dodgey and that the 'renegade' and 'rogue' people we are hunting down in the gameplay a lot, may become our allies later in the game if we go against the Initiative.

In gameplay news, watched the trailer breakdown by Minius GC and it's amazing: I recommend it for sure: my hype is overflowing here people.

amoebae

This first gameplay video is what sent the hype train hurtling out of the station for me. I'm a big BioWare fan anyway, but this video makes it look great.

The only thing I'm sad about is that there is no more tactical pause.

The pause function now is only for bringing up the weapon/ammo wheel (and then on to the favourites menu). You can't aim or give squad skill commands anymore.

I'm eager to see what they'll say in the next video about the state of squad commands in general. My feeling is it'll be reserved for things like "move to point" or "attack my target" but there won't be any way to tell them which skill to use on which enemy.

I'm sad about that for two reasons:

1) accessibility - BW games have long been quite inclusive and attracted a broad range of players, and while this doesn't apply to me there are many who have only been able to play the trilogy because of being able to attack from pause (there's someone on the BSN forums who plays the trilogy with one hand... pretty hardcore)

2) what it means for the core ME concept of taking a squad into battle - one of the things that made ME unique when it first came out was that you took 2 squad mates with you, who you had trained (assigned skill points to) in skills that complimented you and your play style, and that you could direct them in battle to coordinate attacks, with their skills complimenting yours to create a well-rounded and efficient team. You were the commander of a squad, who would effectively assess the battlefield and shout out, "10 o'clock! Centurion! Overload!" and then charge in with your shotgun a second after the enemy's shields had been stripped. Now it seems that while you'll be able to direct your squad to attack a particular target, the control over what they use is gone (as is the ability to pause and assess the battlefield first, if that's your bag).

I wonder if this means the focus is now on your character being a one-woman army, who can handle any foe who comes her way, and the squad are just there for flavour?

If so, I think that's a shame, because the presence of being able to use a squad strategically in the first 3 games was an iconic concept behind the combat system, and made the combat something quite special to me (even when its execution in other ways fell short).

[Incidentally, the people over at BSN keep a forensic list of any and all tweets from the developers, as well as compendiums of articles, footage, etc - so almost any and all questions you ask have probably been asked and oftentimes answered over there... it's worth a look if anyone is particularly itching for information.]

prag16

Banned
Is it 100% confirmed that we can no longer pick targets and issue commands during pause?

That would be the second of my favorite Mass Effect combat wrinkles to be removed (time dilation stuff being the other).

What a buzzkill for the combat. To hell with parity for the horde mode combat. I couldn't care less about that.

RR30

We're able to customize our character, right? Facial features included?

Just wondering why people seem to care what the main protag looks like in promo shots or videos, when we're able to alter it to our liking.

I honestly haven't kept up with this game at all, so apologies for my ignorance.

I would say the vast majority of people that play these games don't customize their character. Being able to customize shouldn't mean you get a crappy default character.

I would say the vast majority of people that play these games don't customize their character. Being able to customize shouldn't mean you get a crappy default character.

Speak for yourself. I'm going to bet most minorities, like myself, prefer to play as a character that is closer to their skin tone.

The main characters don't look crappy. However, as they say, there is no accounting for taste. And I mean that quite literally. They could have provided the bestest ever looking main character, and some people would still find issue with it.

Besides, the character creator is there as a solution for people who don't like how the main character looks. If someone's going to complain about "having" to use the character creator on TOP of being such a baby about how the main character looks, well then, there's no helping that person.

See that's the thing. The Ryder twins being "crappy" is subjective. Outside of Neogaf, there might be a lot of people that just plain don't mind how they look. And the ones that do, will probably either make their own or choose one of the other presets that Bioware said they have available and those presets are also based on actual people. So there's really no need to be worried.

prag16

Banned
See that's the thing. The Ryder twins being "crappy" is subjective. Outside of Neogaf, there might be a lot of people that just plain don't mind how they look. And the ones that do, will probably either make their own or choose one of the other presets that Bioware said they have available and those presets are also based on actual people. So there's really no need to be worried.
Other presets based on real people?? This is the first I'm hearing of this. And seems doubtful that they'd do that.

Babyshams

You and me both, I was drawn to the game by the setting and story, gameplay always felt archaic even back then. Not unplayable by any means, but I'll never understand the love for it, and for the faux-exploration with the Mako.

I think its mostly that love for the story, planets, and characters of ME1 transfers to the gameplay because it was through that clunky walking and shooting that they experienced the game.

It's definitely a case of rose colored glasses.

Other presets based on real people?? This is the first I'm hearing of this. And seems doubtful that they'd do that.

I can't remember exactly where I saw it, it was probably on Twitter, but I definitely remember seeing it. I'll have to look around and see if I can find it.

Found some:

Grainne Gillespie ‏@pkbitchgirl
The presets in the character creators have face models too (i.e. they're based on real people)

Boris Khlebnikov ‏@gentleyahg
All of posible presets? The new system exclude the creation of ugly appearance?

Ian S. Frazier ‏@tibermoon
Ha! Don't worry, you can make yourself look seriously funky if you want to.

Tyrell Hamilton ‏@tjh8214
do the alternative preset Ryders have face models as well or are they just randomly generated from chargen?

Ian S. Frazier @tibermoon
Every single one is based on a scan of a real person, then tweaked. You can customize 'em, though, of course. More details later.

prag16

Banned
Found some:

Grainne Gillespie ‏@pkbitchgirl
The presets in the character creators have face models too (i.e. they're based on real people)

Boris Khlebnikov ‏@gentleyahg
All of posible presets? The new system exclude the creation of ugly appearance?

Ian S. Frazier ‏@tibermoon
Ha! Don't worry, you can make yourself look seriously funky if you want to.

Tyrell Hamilton ‏@tjh8214
do the alternative preset Ryders have face models as well or are they just randomly generated from chargen?

Ian S. Frazier @tibermoon
Every single one is based on a scan of a real person, then tweaked. You can customize 'em, though, of course. More details later.

Huh. Interesting. Thanks for digging this up. That means "incompatible with the CC" should not have been a reason we can't tweak the default Ryders. Maybe a licensing thing then.

Top Bottom