• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Wii exclusive: Indianapolis 500 Legends ( Racer )

sphinx

the piano man
searched and didn't find anything, lock if old, etc..

http://wii.ign.com/articles/790/790295p1.html

Indianapolis 500 Legends Races to the Wii
The golden age of racing finds a new home.
by Micah Seff

May 21, 2007 - Nintendo gamers are about to get some racing exhilaration, as Destineer announces Indianapolis 500 Legends for the Wii and Nintendo DS. Set between 1961-1971, Indianapolis 500 Legends takes players back to the Golden Age of racing and lets them experience the "traditions, rivalries, terrifying speeds and jaw-dropping maneuvers of the world famous Brickyard."
"Indianapolis 500 Legends combines edge-of-your-seat Indy-style racing with the widespread appeal and accessibility of the Nintendo Wii and DS, making it the perfect choice for racing fans of any age and skill," said Paul Rinde, CEO of Destineer.

In Indianapolis 500 Legends, players step into the lightning fast boots of 30 of the sport's most revered racing legends, such as Al Unser, A.J. Foyt and Parnelli Jones. The game makes use of both the Wii's remote and the DS's stylus through pit-stop mini-games that include changing tires and refueling. The game also includes a healthy supply of unlockable Indy memorabilia.
Developed by Torus, Indianapolis 500 Legends makes its way to stores this holiday for a suggested price of $49.99 on the Wii and $29.99 on the DS.

_Angelus_

Banned
Damn,for a minute there I thought this thread was referring to the old Sega model 2 game-Indy 500.:/

I guess this game will never come home.
Carry on.

camineet

Banned
I hope it's 60fps and looks better than this

16189002.jpg

16021302.jpg

if it doesn't it's not the Wii's fault, but the developer. I don't mean to sound negative, I'm hoping for the best for Indianapolis 500 Legends.

_Angelus_

Banned
camineet said:
I hope it's 60fps and looks better than this

16189002.jpg

16021302.jpg

if it doesn't it's not the Wii's fault, but the developer. I don't mean to sound negative, I'm hoping for the best for Indianapolis 500 Legends.

Those pictures....man.:)

Teh Sex.

Ah, the Indy 500 before Tony George essentially ruined it permanently.

Looks interesting, maybe or not. Most likely not. I would be more impressed if it was a a sim style game.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Torus mostly outputs shovelware, but their GBA FPS conversions were pretty good!

This news begs the question: Why isn't EA announcing a Burnout for the Wii? Huge speed, crazy crashes, and Wiimote steering? Sounds like a winner to me!

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Haunted One said:
The last game called 'Indianapolis 500' that I've played was on the Amiga 500. And it was good.

Indy 500 on the Amiga was classic.

I remember taking out a CPU car and then shunting it out into the middle of the track to create a track-wide barrier for the mother of all multi-car pile-ups.

It also had one of Rob Hubbard's rare bits of music on the Amiga, but the less said about that the better.

Nash said:
It also had one of Rob Hubbard's rare bits of music on the Amiga, but the less said about that the better.

For a splitsecond I read that as "Ron Hubbard"...and I was like, when did L. Ron Hubbard compose music for some Amiga game?

Saitou

Banned
Psh, real life Indy formula is just about the most boring kind of race there is. Not as retarded as NASCAR, but still more boring, I'd say.

sphinx

the piano man
I just found the info in IGN but no media was available. We will have to wait. I like racers and one more for Wii is good news, I suppose.

Regardless of this game, I just wonder what the hell is happening that we get like 3 Wii exclusives every week.

Kangu

Banned
If I had to predict what the Wii library will look like in the future I'd say it'll look something like the original Gameboy's.

Rlan

Nice to see Torus finally moving up to DS / Wii development. They've been stuck making crappy GBA games for quite a while. I'd love to see them move up to do some XBLA games - I hear they did a great job with the GBC Duke Nukem II port and GBA DOOM II games, they'd be great to bring Apogee stuff over.

Speaking of Aussie devs, what the hell are Tantalus Software up to? Do they still exist?

Haunted

Nash said:
Indy 500 on the Amiga was classic.

I remember taking out a CPU car and then shunting it out into the middle of the track to create a track-wide barrier for the mother of all multi-car pile-ups.
Absolutely. I remember that the game was too hard for me - the only way I would confidently win a race was by crashing most of the other cars on the track. :lol

Explains why I love F-Zero so much.

The amazing graphics were a huge selling point for me back then.

indy500.gif

Phthisis

Kbsmoker said:
oh.

i saw Grand Prix Challenge on there and i loved that f1 game. But then i saw they just did a little art for this game. Never heard of the other games they did....

I own GPC, and it's a fun game. The tracks are all spot-on to their real-life counterparts.

Ranger X

Not much confident giving Torus track record but hey, you never know. At least their Doom ports on GBA were decent.

fernoca

What I find kidna funny, is how 'racer' was put in parenthesis, like to let people know that an Indianapolis 500 based game IS a racing game...

:lol :lol :lol

For a second I thought it was going t o be a fighting game..or an action/adventure game with RPG elements... :D

sphinx

the piano man
fernoca said:
What I find kidna funny, is how 'racer' was put in parenthesis, like to let people know that an Indianapolis 500 based game IS a racing game...

For a second I thought it was going t o be a fighting game..or an action/adventure game with RPG elements... :D

:lol :lol well, Soulcalibur " legend " would obviously be a fighter but alas, it's an adventure game!

I put racer just to make sure no one thought it was something else. :p..

Linkup

fernoca said:

Race Driver: Create & Race

mj1108

fernoca said:

It's how we differentiate nongames from real games.

fernoca

sphinx said:
:lol :lol well, Soulcalibur " legend " would obviously be a fighter but alas, it's an adventure game!

I put racer just to make sure no one thought it was something else. :p..

Now that you mention it...
I remember some old Atari 2600 game (which I was addicted to back then) which had Indy 500 "cars" (as detailed as the 2600 could make them)...and that to move around (and win) you had to do math..and if you failed ..you just didn't moved ahead...

So, now I get the parenthesis.... :lol

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
fernoca said:

I'm dissapointed I thought it was a game sequel to the movie 300 based in Indianapolis. This thread is full of suck.

sphinx

the piano man
to all people with negative comments: how can we be so sure this game is going to suck or look badly??

you know, I miss the days when I was an uninformed gamer, I'd go to the video game store and buy a game on impulse based on genre and box art alone. I'd go home, play it, get an "o.k" experience and be satisifed.

these days what with forums, IGNs, and gamespot's reviews, it's so hard to give any unproven game a chance... I really wish it wasn't like that.

even if we had screens from the game, pics not always reflect the actual state of a game but seeing them in a forum would make me say " looks like crap " and lose all interest.......<_>

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
sphinx said:
to all people with negative comments: how can we be so sure this game is going to suck or look badly??

So they took a Indianapolis 500 sim racer & put it on the wii instead of 360/Ps3 where the traget audience for those games are!

Do you really have to ask?

Top Bottom