• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Quest

Romulus

I'd be interested in hearing some Asgard's wrath options as I've had my eye on it for a while but haven't quite been convinced to take the plunge at the normal price. I'm happy paying if I can be convinced it's a good game. It's also tough as I can get Skyrim vr for under £10. I'm only in PCVR so can't get it for free.

I loved both Skyrim VR and Asgard's. I think if you finished Skyrim without VR and all the DLC I would get Asgard's. But if you stopped during the campaign or DLC but you really enjoyed it, get Skyrim.

Having said that Skyrim VR is a different animal altogether in terms of immersion. There's some crazy mods out there for VR

You really can't go wrong.

Stitch

Gold Member
Air Link works fine. A little bit smoother than VD I think.

Weird that it has to be re-enabled every 24 hours in the oculus app.

I loved both Skyrim VR and Asgard's. I think if you finished Skyrim without VR and all the DLC I would get Asgard's. But if you stopped during the campaign or DLC but you really enjoyed it, get Skyrim.

Having said that Skyrim VR is a different animal altogether in terms of immersion. There's some crazy mods out there for VR

Awesome, thanks. Yeah I've seen the mods for Skyrim and I'll be using the higs one and others for sure. I put about 30 hours in to Skyrim on switch and really liked it so tempted to play it again and focus on the main quest ( I got sidetracked by the Mage school quest line before). Being able to be in that world sounds crazy, and it's really cheap.

I'll probably just get both but not at the same time.

CloudNull

Banned
Developping VR, so I can put some theories.

The game is long and quite pretty. One option we can choose to deliver great visuals is to "bake" everything. Light and shadows are converted into textures, only the dynamic lights still remains. Downside is that the game is really heavy (I mean REALLY). This baking technique + 4K assets could mean a very big pack when downloading the game.
What you building over there? Anything worth sharing?

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Any recommendations for a good replacement or supplemental face cushion? I've worn down the cushioning, now I'm starting to get a lot pressure around my cheekbone area. I was looking and they have a lot of covers, but I'm not sure how much padding those add, or if it's more of sweat/cleaning deal.

Last edited:

WizeVibez

Banned
I highly recommend trying out this strap
Just connects to the in-box strap, but is very comfortable and has a magnet for connecting a battery.
Oh snap that looks nifty. I've been hesitant in buying a better strap since there are so many third party manufacturers but this seems awesome and low cost.

Anyone have recommendations for controller grips that are most like the Index style?

Was messing around with airlink. Jury is still out for me. Maybe it looks a little more crisp than virtual desktop. But I was playing pavlov and it feels like there is a titch more delay on airlink. Was in the shooting range and my trigger pulls felt off. Just a enough delay where something felt off. I was trying to compare but for some reason virtual desktop games were just a black screen. Idk what's going on with that.

Fredrik

Haha oh wow that’s amazing! The hands interacting with objects, wrapping the fingers correctly depending on where you grab and the object on object physics with the apples was just sublime 👌

MS needs to jump in on VR and make Bethesda hire these guys that made this mod!

RPS37

Any recommendations for a good replacement or supplemental face cushion? I've worn down the cushioning, now I'm starting to get a lot pressure around my cheekbone area. I was looking and they have a lot of covers, but I'm not sure how much padding those add, or if it's more of sweat/cleaning deal.

I don’t know if you saw my post a couple pages ago, but I got this cushion

It’s pretty cheap and fits right over the in box face cover.
So far, it’s a bit more comfortable.

FunkMiller

Got the Air Link working today with Half Life Alyx.

Much, much better than Virtual Desktop.

I always had judder every once in a while, and a fair amount of latency using VD to play Alyx, but in the half an hour I've just done with Air Link, it's been as smooth as silk the entire time, even at high fidelity settings.

I'm using a dedicated TP-Link AC1200, and a ROG Zephyrus with Ryzen 9 5900 and a 3070.

Foilz

Banned
Check out VRcover they make the best ones

Fredrik

Okay I’ve been playing Skyrim VR now, installed an insane amount of mods... and... well, I’m not sure I can go back the regular Skyrim now.

It’s not perfect and the usual jank is there, but this is still a whole other level of awesome. Once the HIGGS and hand,arm,body mods are installed and you’ve set the correct height - you are there!

Took some time to get the new controls but it’s such a bizarre feeling to look down and see your body, your armour, watch how the arms move and fold based on how you move the controllers. This is transformative!

Runs surprisingly well on my 1080ti too, I’m running it at high and while there are some stutters (that could come from my router, not sure) it’s still an amazing experience

Okay I’ve been playing Skyrim VR now, installed an insane amount of mods... and... well, I’m not sure I can go back the regular Skyrim now.

It’s not perfect and the usual jank is there, but this is still a whole other level of awesome. Once the HIGGS and hand,arm,body mods are installed and you’ve set the correct height - you are there!

Took some time to get the new controls but it’s such a bizarre feeling to look down and see your body, your armour, watch how the arms move and fold based on how you move the controllers. This is transformative!

Runs surprisingly well on my 1080ti too, I’m running it at high and while there are some stutters (that could come from my router, not sure) it’s still an amazing experience

Let me know what mods you got installed. I been holding this off.

Romulus

Awesome, thanks. Yeah I've seen the mods for Skyrim and I'll be using the higs one and others for sure. I put about 30 hours in to Skyrim on switch and really liked it so tempted to play it again and focus on the main quest ( I got sidetracked by the Mage school quest line before). Being able to be in that world sounds crazy, and it's really cheap.

I'll probably just get both but not at the same time.

Yeah the difference between playing skyrim on Switch and PC VR is probably the most massive jump I can think of. Lol. You can't even grasp the scale of that world on a 80inch TV, much less that tiny handheld screen. VR is the only medium that can deliver this. And the depth perception is great too.

Fredrik

Let me know what mods you got installed. I been holding this off.
Too many and untested ones to list them all right now. But go to Nexus and add the important ones:

HIGGS - physics, collision detection and mass for hands. Don’t miss this!
VRIK - to see the arms and body. A must for immersion!

Those are the big ones for VR.

After that I just went the usual route and prettied up the world and people. Caliente’s beautiful bodies is nice if you’re a weakminded soul like me. And Campfire is supposed to be good too, haven’t made a camp yet though, bought a tent and a backpack and has just entered Bleak Falls Barrow for the first quest now. 👍

The Jedi trick to pull stuff from afar to your hands don’t work properly as in the previous video for me. Not sure what I did wrong and the ini file with settings has a million lines. 😬

Too many and untested ones to list them all right now. But go to Nexus and add the important ones:

HIGGS - physics, collision detection and mass for hands. Don’t miss this!
VRIK - to see the arms and body. A must for immersion!

Those are the big ones for VR.

After that I just went the usual route and prettied up the world and people. Caliente’s beautiful bodies is nice if you’re a weakminded soul like me. And Campfire is supposed to be good too, haven’t made a camp yet though, bought a tent and a backpack and has just entered Bleak Falls Barrow for the first quest now. 👍

The Jedi trick to pull stuff from afar to your hands don’t work properly as in the previous video for me. Not sure what I did wrong and the ini file with settings has a million lines. 😬
sick, thanks! I hear FO4 is also VR but people seem to be less hot on it. Shame I would love for that to be good. Would be my first time playing

Buggy Loop

Finally!

Strangely, even though i had V28, kept trying to restart, reset experimental features, changing language (worked for some), nothing was working. I went back to about for the version, but the version check was taking so long to verify if there was an update... i patiently waited.. and then, what the hell? There's a version update?

So a version update later, voila, air link.

Tried HL:Alyx with is, super good performances.

reksveks

Oculus and Respawn I think have just won an Oscar for the documentary in the video footage they recorded as part of the new Medal of Honor game.

Shai-Tan

Banned
Man games are expensive on vr. Most are still full price. I hope microsoft drops a good headset and adds vr to gamepass
There’s sales sometimes but less so on the Oculus side. On PCVR there’s plenty of sales on Steam if you’re patient. There already is a “gamepass” sort of thing on PCVR called “Viveport Infinity” but it’s kind of expensive annually. If you aren’t into random games and vr experiences it’s probably not worth, however they have a two week trial and/or if you have a lot of free time, could probably play or at least try a bunch of the games in one or two months

RPS37

Planning on picking up the Logitech Pro headset for my Quest 2 tomorrow, then playing Alyx until I can’t handle it anymore.
Does someone dare stop me?

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Man games are expensive on vr. Most are still full price. I hope microsoft drops a good headset and adds vr to gamepass
Keep an eye on those Daily Deals on the Oculus app since they're usually around 30% off. They had a 25% off coupon code a month back 'Mobile25'. But yeah, SteamVR/PCVR is much more affordable. Thank goodness for Virtual Desktop and Air Link!

Last edited:
nah, expensive on Quest where 5 yo games are sold as hot new stuff...

Microsoft can lose money until they control a market - after all, 90% of pc home users and governments are in their hands, they have infinite source of money... monopolies afford that.

Tygeezy

meanwhile in native Quest, they're soon getting a "psvr mode":

That already exists in pcvr with rift and link/airlink called asw 2.0 ans steam vr also does it with "motion smoothing". You can force it to render at half the frame rate and reproject doubles the frames. The quest 2 gpu apparently doesn’t have enough horsepower to do this for native games though. So this probably happens on a future headset for standalone games.

Last edited:
Planning on picking up the Logitech Pro headset for my Quest 2 tomorrow, then playing Alyx until I can’t handle it anymore.
Does someone dare stop me?
Naah, have at it :D It's one of the most memorable games of 2020 for me, currently playing the Bioshock mod for HL:A, it's amazing!

Synless

Against my better judgement I picked up a Quest 2 to replace my Quest 1. What does the landscape look like coming up? So far the only games I see are pretty much the ones I bought early last year (Beatsaber, Vader, Accounting +, Robo Recall, Super Hot). Resident Evil 4 is the sole reason I bought it, I am just hoping for some more.

Tygeezy

Against my better judgement I picked up a Quest 2 to replace my Quest 1. What does the landscape look like coming up? So far the only games I see are pretty much the ones I bought early last year (Beatsaber, Vader, Accounting +, Robo Recall, Super Hot). Resident Evil 4 is the sole reason I bought it, I am just hoping for some more.
resident evil 4 won't be on the quest 1, and although you get worse contrast with the lcd compared to the oled it has less motion blur and is higher resolution. The quest 2 display actually has less motion blur than a CRT actually which is pretty incredible.

I'm done with Skyrim VR. Yeah at first its good, but proportions of objects are wrong and no setting can fix that. It's not made for VR. Also animations are from 90s = that especially bugging me in VR.

Fredrik

I'm done with Skyrim VR. Yeah at first its good, but proportions of objects are wrong and no setting can fix that. It's not made for VR. Also animations are from 90s = that especially bugging me in VR.
What’s wrong with the proportions? If it’s your height then you can change that by going into VR settings.

Last edited:

RPS37

Reposted from my Alyx thread.
RPS37 said:
Finally got to play for a couple hours today.
Had to move the setup to the spare room because there’s more room to move around.
Also, ended up buying a ton of accessories for the Quest 2.
I bought a Best Buy 16 ft link cable, lens brush/cover, elite strap, official case, silicone face cover, second Amazon strap, Anker charging stand, and headphones.

I’m well over 600 dollars in now, but hey, it’s only money.

Now for Alyx.
Graphics are dope. It’s a new Half Life finally.
Picking up ammo and putting it in your backpack feels real cool.
Can’t really get the ha g of reloading yet. Aiming when shooting is a little difficult, but I’m sure there is a sight or something that you can add to the pistol.

So far I’m digging it.
Also, I’m just using a link cable, because I had very little faith air link/virtual desktop would work with my set up (laptop only though wi if, far from the router).
It’s a lot less annoying than all the cables needed for PSVR.

pr0cs

Reposted from my Alyx thread.
Can’t really get the ha g of reloading yet.
You will, it takes a bit but after a while it'll get to be second nature. There are a few sections in there that will scare the shit out of you, especially if you drop your clip by accident in the dark. Alyx is one of those games that I wish I could experience for the first time again

I see no issues with proportions in this games: furniture is all the right size, as are skeletons, dragons, trees, mountains and castles. It's really epic like you rarely get in VR games.

I'm done with small indies and their pre-90s animations. Reserving VR only for deserving games, like Skyrim.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Got a BSoD while trying Air Link for the first time today, hopefully it's a one off thing.
I didn't get BSoD, but Air Link menu gets all laggy in-game and it crashed SteamVR driver and locked up my headset forcing me to do a hard reset on the Quest 2. Only time it happened so far.

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Cas's Oculus Air Link vs Virtual Desktop comparison video...

I was surprised by her Beat Saber results as it was better on Air Link for me, but it probably varies by Wi-Fi setup. She mentioned that HL: Alyx seemed to have less stuttering on Air Link compared to Virtual Desktop. For anybody looking to get into wireless PCVR on Quest 2 this is great breakdown of your options. Both are useful from what I've experienced so far.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Cas's Oculus Air Link vs Virtual Desktop comparison video...

I was surprised by her Beat Saber results as it was better on Air Link for me, but it probably varies by Wi-Fi setup. She mentioned that HL: Alyx seemed to have less stuttering on Air Link compared to Virtual Desktop. For anybody looking to get into wireless PCVR on Quest 2 this is great breakdown of your options. Both are useful from what I've experienced so far.

Would be cool to even be able to try it...
I don’t have the choice to activate Airlink. I’ve updated the PC Oculus app to v28, turned on Air Link there, headset has the latest software update, but when I go into experimental I have no option for it. 🤷‍♂️
Is it region locked or something?

Last edited:

Shakka43

I didn't get BSoD, but Air Link menu gets all laggy in-game and it crashed SteamVR driver and locked up my headset forcing me to do a hard reset on the Quest 2. Only time it happened so far.
This happens from time to time using the link cable for me.

I don’t have the choice to activate Airlink. I’ve updated the PC Oculus app to v28, turned on Air Link there, headset has the latest software update, but when I go into experimental I have no option for it. 🤷‍♂️
On the headset's experimental settings select "reset all to default". Once the Quest 2 restarts the Air Link option should be available (that's how I got it to appear for me)

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Should have worked once you got the Air Link option in the PC app. Did you try the 'Reset to Default' option in Experimental Features on the headset and reset a bunch of times? Then it should show at the top of the list.

Last edited:
Top Bottom