• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Quest

Fredrik

This happens from time to time using the link cable for me.

On the headset's experimental settings select "reset all to default". Once the Quest 2 restarts the Air Link option should be available (that's how I got it to appear for me)

Should have worked once you got the Air Link option in the PC app. Did you try the 'Reset to Default' option in Experimental Features on the headset and reset a bunch of times? Then it should show at the top of the list.
Cool I’ll try that thanks! 🤝

Cas's Oculus Air Link vs Virtual Desktop comparison video...

I was surprised by her Beat Saber results as it was better on Air Link for me, but it probably varies by Wi-Fi setup. She mentioned that HL: Alyx seemed to have less stuttering on Air Link compared to Virtual Desktop. For anybody looking to get into wireless PCVR on Quest 2 this is great breakdown of your options. Both are useful from what I've experienced so far.

Airlink isn't as good as VD for the games I have tried so far. More stuttering in Alyx and I can't seem to pull the trigger super fast with semi automatic weapons in pavlov. Not to mention airlinks ui and menu area is ugly af

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Airlink isn't as good as VD for the games I have tried so far. More stuttering in Alyx and I can't seem to pull the trigger super fast with semi automatic weapons in pavlov. Not to mention airlinks ui and menu area is ugly af
Air Link is bare-boned and has a crappy UI in comparison to VD, that's for sure. I think it will vary depending on a person's setup, but the good thing is we can use both.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Got around to trying Airlink this morning. It’s a game changer. I’m glad Virtual Desktop paved the way but I’ll be using AL from now on. It was seamless on my set up with no stuttering and very crisp. Felt like a wired connection.

I think I’ll be buying more PC games

What’s wrong with the proportions? If it’s your height then you can change that by going into VR settings.
Its more complicated than that. Doors are very big, roads too, while people are small. Mountains look big but you can go there in minutes.
Played Half-Life Alyx after Skyrim - now that's look like it supposed to.
Secons problem is awful animations. Looks wierd and breaks immersion.

Kazza

I think I’ll be buying more PC games

Although it's great for users, this Airlink thing doesn't seem to be a good business move for Oculus. They've broken a hole in their own walled garden, so that many users will now start buying games on Steam, rather than on the Oculus Store. Maybe they're making enough money selling the VR units to not have to jealously guard their software sales as much as traditional console makers do.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Should have worked once you got the Air Link option in the PC app. Did you try the 'Reset to Default' option in Experimental Features on the headset and reset a bunch of times? Then it should show at the top of the list.

I've done both and I still can't get it to show up on the oculus no matter what I tried, an hour wasted.....

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Also, my understanding is virtual desktop will run games at 120hz with the beta on both, but it still hadn't been updated to run the desktop at 120hz. Thought this might be interesting as a person could play 120hz 2d games on the headset then. Might only be sort of interesting now due to limited resolution, but this might actually be a more useful feature in a couple of years when the headsets have higher res panels.

Also, does airline have a desktop and if so does it run at 120hz? Or is it just for games only?

Went with VR Optician for 4 devices, and very satisfied. COmpared to wearing contact lenses it's very slightly less precise, but the added comfort is definitely worth it !
I can vouch for Vroptician too. I've got a pair for my og rift and compared to wearing glasses it's a game changer.

FunkMiller

Gold Member

Weird. Exact opposite for me. Alyx is smooth as silk with Air Link, whereas I always got some stutter on VD. You're right about the UI though. It's shit. Oculus need to redesign it.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
best news for the day: Sidequest is now an Android app

unfortunately, of course, App Lab mostly killed it already, just as Air Link is killing Virtual Desktop.

SQ is still very useful for FINDING App Lab stuff, which is not really possible through the Oculus Store since it doesn't list those anywhere. But yeah, I see no reason to use SQ for installing anything anymore.

Last edited:

CloudNull

Banned
Zero reactions from enemies when attacked, which is common in MMOs I guess, but seems really terrible in VR which is all about immersion.
Dude is level 2. Literally the first zone outside of town. Its like comparing it to the boars in WoW.

Last edited:

CloudNull

Banned
Be that as it may, it still looks like a bad and unimmersive VR experience.
Judging an mmo off of an alpha gameplay.... like what....

They have the movement from "pop 1", similar combat from "Until you Fall" and proximity chat like "VRChat". All components from some of the most popular games currently on the quest. We have no idea how thorough their gameplay loops will be or if the enemy design will be enough to get you coming back but the foundation is there.

They are supposed to have a few different biomes that will be explorable. If each one of these has different cities to visit and sound network code then it is GG.

Synless

Maybe you can all help. I tried to pair my new Quest 2 to the app. It asks to merge my oculus and Facebook account. I hit ok, instantly it fails and says it can’t be done at this time. the issue here is that I’ve been trying for a day straight and it won’t work.... I’ve googled to no concrete answer. Currently I have a quest I can’t play.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I took my broken Elite Strap back to the shop and got my refund. They don’t have any replacements or the strap with battery so I bought a halo strap on Amazon which arrive tomorrow.

I’m now back on the original strap and I forgot how painful it was.

CS Lurker

Although it's great for users, this Airlink thing doesn't seem to be a good business move for Oculus. They've broken a hole in their own walled garden, so that many users will now start buying games on Steam, rather than on the Oculus Store.

Why? Does the Link cable not work with steam?

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I finally got around to giving the 420VR app a try. It lets you bring a joint or vape pen prop into VR even has smoke/vape cloud tracking. This is weird stuff...augmented virtual reality?

CloudNull

Banned
Maybe you can all help. I tried to pair my new Quest 2 to the app. It asks to merge my oculus and Facebook account. I hit ok, instantly it fails and says it can’t be done at this time. the issue here is that I’ve been trying for a day straight and it won’t work.... I’ve googled to no concrete answer. Currently I have a quest I can’t play.
I have no idea but check Reddit or reach out to oculus. They usually have very responsive customer service.

Fredrik

Finally got Air Link working, so thanks for the tip I got earlier 👍

But it’s not as stable as Virtual Desktop for me. Occasional halts/stutters plus audio dropout. I’ll stick to VD for now.

Played more Skyrim VR, as usual, all I’ve played for a few days now heh

Still haven’t got the HIGGS mod working properly for pulling stuff to my hands. Anybody else have problem with that? It’s like the object I pull sits 1 meter from the hands, on an invisible stick. As soon as I get close enough to grab the object it works perfectly though.

But omg getting close to the characters is almost scary immersive. It’s like it’s a new game.
MS needs to let Bethesda keep working on this. Maybe make more DLC or sometimes . Highres texturer. It’ll suck if it just stops here and if they don’t make TESVI VR.

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I decided to give VR Cover a try on recommendation and so far I'm really liking the added comfort. I was getting a lot of pressure on my cheekbone area and this will hopefully alleviate that. I couldn't figure out how the top flaps of the rubber nose-guard area were supposed to go, so I cut them off. Overall it's nice option if you want more cushioning.
KKbGr39.jpg

Last edited:
Finally got Air Link working, so thanks for the tip I got earlier 👍

But it’s not as stable as Virtual Desktop for me. Occasional halts/stutters plus audio dropout. I’ll stick to VD for now.

Played more Skyrim VR, as usual, all I’ve played for a few days now heh

Still haven’t got the HIGGS mod working properly for pulling stuff to my hands. Anybody else have problem with that? It’s like the object I pull sits 1 meter from the hands, on an invisible stick. As soon as I get close enough to grab the object it works perfectly though.

But omg getting close to the characters is almost scary immersive. It’s like it’s a new game.
MS needs to let Bethesda keep working on this. Maybe make more DLC or sometimes . Highres texturer. It’ll suck if it just stops here and if they don’t make TESVI VR.
Oh man, I'm gonna have to dive in to Skyrim asap aren't I. I'm trying to tell myself to finish Alyx first but I'm terrible at sticking to games, no matter how awesome they are.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Last call for the Humble Spring Into VR Bundle. Only 10hrs to go to get 8 SteamVR games for $15:
---
Fanatical is doing the VR Discovery Bundle that gives you 6 SteamVR games for $10: Stunt Kite Masters VR, Dread Eye, Republique VR, Conscious Existence, Star Shelter, and The Morrigan.

The Morrigan looks cool...

Last edited:

Fredrik

Oh man, I'm gonna have to dive in to Skyrim asap aren't I. I'm trying to tell myself to finish Alyx first but I'm terrible at sticking to games, no matter how awesome they are.
I haven’t tried Alyx yet so I can’t compare how Skyrim VR stacks up to that. Iirc the HIGGS mod is based on Alyx hand interactions and that’s what takes it to the next level for me, Google and watch some videos, it’s👌

RPS37

I decided to give VR Cover a try on recommendation and so far I'm really liking the added comfort. I was getting a lot of pressure on my cheekbone area and this will hopefully alleviate that. I couldn't figure out how the top flaps of the rubber nose-guard area were supposed to go, so I cut them off. Overall it's nice option if you want more cushioning.
KKbGr39.jpg
I think the video on the Amazon store page shows how to deal with the nose guard...

pr0cs

I just tried this on my Android phone, works really bloody well. I had seen the DecaMove early prototypes working but wasn't convinced, but trying it in Alyx I'm sold, it really makes VR gaming a lot more fun, didn't get motion sick either which can often be the case with smooth movement.

If you have an android phone give it a go

I just tried this on my Android phone, works really bloody well. I had seen the DecaMove early prototypes working but wasn't convinced, but trying it in Alyx I'm sold, it really makes VR gaming a lot more fun, didn't get motion sick either which can often be the case with smooth movement.

If you have an android phone give it a go

Oh hell yes

pr0cs

Oh hell yes
It doesn't look impressive in a video but it works great in the games that support head movement. I was able to walk in a smooth circle in Alyx which was basically impossible before.
I also find that my feet would get tired gaming and standing static, I feel like this will really improve things since you move around by physically turning.

Either way, more options that are free are always welcome.

WizeVibez

Banned
Oculus Link connects and immediately disconnects. AirLink does the same. Guess I'll be sticking with virtual desktop, which doesn't seem to allow Oculus pc games, sadly.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I think the video on the Amazon store page shows how to deal with the nose guard...
I'm not a fan of that silicone nose guard. I ended making my own deal by stripping most the old foam face cushion and gluing up the standard size pu leather cushion. Gonna add something for the nose area on the VR Cover setup soon, too. I just need a thicker material to compensate for the extra thick insert.

Jerry-rigged face cushion(quest rig+vr cover cushion):
5GHkeaK.jpg

VR Cover:
665SRRl.jpg

---
Huh? Virtual desktop shows me all my installed steam and Oculus games.
I was confused, because I could have sworn I wasn't able to play without Link Cable, but it makes sense that I was probably trying to launch it from the Windows Oculus app instead from the Virtual Desktop menu. When you try to launch from Oculus App is gives you an error.

This can even affect how SteamVR games identify your headset type since some games launched from SteamVR will see Vive controllers, while the same game launched from VD 'Games' menu option will see Oculus Touch controllers correctly. That's funny that I could have played this whole time.

Last edited:

WizeVibez

Banned
I'm not a fan of that silicone nose guard. I ended making my own deal by stripping most the old foam face cushion and gluing up the standard size pu leather cushion. Gonna add something for the nose area on the VR Cover setup soon, too. I just need a thicker material to compensate for the extra thick insert.

Jerry-rigged face cushion(quest rig+vr cover cushion):
5GHkeaK.jpg

VR Cover:
665SRRl.jpg

---

I was confused, because I could have sworn I wasn't able to play without Link Cable, but it makes sense that I was probably trying to launch it from the Windows Oculus app instead from the Virtual Desktop menu. When you try to launch from Oculus App is gives you an error.

This can even affect how SteamVR games identify your headset type since some games launched from SteamVR will see Vive controllers, while the same game launched from VD 'Games' menu option will see Oculus Touch controllers correctly. That's funny that I could have played this whole time.
So I shouldn't be launching games from the pc desktop?

pr0cs

Idk, I try launching games from the oculus store and I just see a white window and can't do anything but close it.
I don't launch from the store, only from VD games tab in the menu for VD. If launched this way it always works.
Shutting down some games can be wonky, steam can often interfere and I'll have to alt f4 but those are related to specific games and not common.

So I shouldn't be launching games from the pc desktop?
I never do unless I'm hooked up via link cable (haven't tried airlink) if using VD I always let it launch them

Last edited:
Top Bottom