• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2nd Pres. Debate 2008 Thread (DOW dropping, Biden is off to Home Depot)

Status
Not open for further replies.
CharlieDigital said:
Like I said above, I think he knew that he couldn't go into the debate next week with the negative shit because he'd have to:

1) Call out Obama to his face, which is exactly what Obama wants.

2) Not do anything, like the last debate, which will come across as cowardly after Obama called him out to "Say it to my face".

McCain had to switch the tone because he has no choice going into the Wed. debate. He already got himself in deep by telling the black dude that he's going to call Obama out on Wright at the debates. Now he has to man up, cower back and look weak to his supporters, or change the tone ASAP.

Let's not forget that these two are going to meet face to face nationally on more time in just 5 days.

Eh, he already reneged on his pledge not to attack spouses. What's stopping him from going after Wright?

Edit: EHHHHHHHHHHHH

CharlieDigital said:
Like I said above, I think he knew that he couldn't go into the debate next week with the negative shit because he'd have to:

2) Not do anything, like the last debate, which will come across as cowardly after Obama called him out to "Say it to my face".

McCain had to switch the tone because he has no choice going into the Wed. debate. He already got himself in deep by telling the black dude that he's going to call Obama out on Wright at the debates. Now he has to man up, cower back and look weak to his supporters, or change the tone ASAP.

Let's not forget that these two are going to meet face to face nationally on more time in just 5 days.

That's exactly how I interpreted this. It's too coincidental that this reversal comes on the same day that Obama challenged him.

Haunted

Souldriver said:
You know I actually feel the worst for the woman calling Obama an arab. She comes off as so naive, repeating the things the McCain campaign has let her to believe, only to let the mic be taken away from her by McCain himself while she asks her idol "he's not?", as if McCain has just set her up, humiliating her in front of thousands of people when he says the opposite of what he's been implying for weeks on end.

:/

This whole situation is fucked. But I have no compassion or respect for McCain here, since this is what he created, and he knew damn well he did. It was part of his strategy, but it got out of hand.
Was there any one thing McCain tried during the last couple weeks that didn't backfire terribly on him, his campaign and his standing in the polls?

Zeliard

DeaconKnowledge said:
Also, I find it deplorable that being an Arab in America is like being the spawn of satan now. Honestly, sometimes it seems like America can't exist without funneling their hate into at least one race or denomination.

Indeed, and I've also been disappointed in Obama when it comes to this. As I recall, only once has he ever said something to the effect of "I'm not Muslim, but there should not be seen anything wrong with it." I'm hoping he will do that more after becoming president.

CharlieDigital said:

Yes, but he didn't just respond to the woman calling Obama an Arab. Later on, one of the audience dipshits brought up Ayers and how he didn't want to raise his newborn with Obama as president, and McCain came to Obama's defense there when he didn't necessarily have to. And he got booed for it.

I dunno, I could be wrong, but after watching these clips I'm not getting a "McCain is doing this for political purposes" vibe, particularly not when those questions the audience is asking him are very likely off-the-cuff.

Jason's Ultimatum said:
I don't know why people are giving props to McCain for discrediting that old woman. He did it because he knew of the backlash he would've gotten from the media. The main problem we have here is that McCain and Palin are injecting bigotry and fearmongering to their supporters, which is why we've been seeing such a hostile crowd at McCain/Palin rallies. Now I can't compare the two to a certain dictator, because that would invoke Godwin's Law, so I'll use the fascism, as speculawyer mentioned in another thread. :lol

So f*** McCain and Palin.

honestly, i think a lot of the hate is out of their control. i mean i want to see mccain/palin crash and burn hard as anybody else, but i think they'd rather lose an election than lynch obama (which his supporters are pushing for)

Cloudy

Banned
DeaconKnowledge said:
You do know that she's only doing what she's told, right?

So is McCain. It actually makes them worse cos they spew such horrible attacks without actually believing it. That takes a special type of callousness...

honestly, i think a lot of the hate is out of their control

WTF? They incited it by insinuating that Obama's a terrorist sympathizer :lol

Zeliard said:
I don't know about this. I know a lot of people are pissed off at McCain right now, myself included, but seeing that clip it really did seem like McCain was regretful. Now you can certainly say "fuck him, he had it coming", but I don't think he was doing it purely for political purposes. McCain has never been able to hide his emotions, physically-speaking, and he seemed pretty remorseful to me for what his campaign has turned into.

I agree. Watch him while scolding the woman who calls Obama "Arab." He's clearly vexed, and, even more of a tell, he's looking down as if he can't even look the crowd in their eyes. I honestly think the man has trouble meeting the eyes of people he's disagreeing with - just look at the debates.

What a strange man. I feel bad for him, but I also feel bad for the homeless guy muttering on the street. While I'd give the bum a buck or two for a bottle, I won't be giving McCain a vote.

TDG

Banned
Zeliard said:
I dunno, I could be wrong, but after watching these clips I'm not getting a "McCain is doing this for political purposes" vibe, particularly not when those questions the audience is asking him are very likely off-the-cuff.
Well yeah, and as someone brought up earlier, McCain has trouble hiding his anger or his true feelings. Watching those clips, I could almost see him thinking "Oh god, let's not go here." I think he was being genuine.

Damn, I'm only watching MSNBC so far but McCain is getting skewered more by the pundits for backtracking than he was for hate mongering. I really thought they would be sympathetic to him for what he's gotten himself into but they are crushing him on Hardline right now :eek:

JayDubya

Banned
EviLore said:
k, the relatively free world ends because of stubborn short-sightedness option. Just wanted to be clear.

A society that embraces tyranny in order to subsist is not a society worth having.

Conscription is a throw-back to feudalism.

TDG said:
Well yeah, and as someone brought up earlier, McCain has trouble hiding his anger or his true feelings. Watching those clips, I could almost see him thinking "Oh god, let's not go here." I think he was being genuine.

Or "Oh no, the cameras will catch this". He was perfectly fine with this last week, now it pains him to see it happens... Only one thing has changed and that was the media's negative reaction to that crap.

LCfiner

finding number one: sarah palin abused her power

finding number two: Palin's firing of Monegan was a proper and lawful exercise of her authority.

Justin Bailey said:
To be honest, I don't blame McCain for the "he's an Arab" mindset. That's really just a problem with the Republican party in general.
I don't blame him directly, but c'mon. The Palin rallies have obviously been knowingly inciting that sort of ignorance, and McCain has been letting it slide when supporters shout slurs from the audience. He wasn't the one who originally planted those seeds, but his campaign has been fertilizing and watering them for the past week.

Cloudy

Banned
TDG said:

Please! Where did they think it would go when you start suggesting that a guy called Barack Obama is friendly with terrorists. Their plan all along was to take advantage of ignorant/racist voters.

It's looking very bad because of the media and youtube and in turn making McCain look bad. That's the only thing he regrets...

TDG

Banned
Byakuya769 said:
Or "Oh no, the cameras will catch this". He was perfectly fine with this last week, now it pains him to see it happens... Only one thing has changed and that was the media's negative reaction to that crap.
He was mainly just sort of ignoring it recently, and nobody had called Obama an arab in a question prior to this. And also, it wasn't even last week, it was the past three days that this shit has been going on.

Byakuya769 said:

I can't say i've ever seen him react positively to it. I've seen him do NOTHING, but that's quite a different thing.

Saint Gregory said:
OOH, MSNBC reporting that troopergate report say Palin abused her power!
Price Dalton said:
Quick snippet from Keith's stand-in re: Troopergate...

Palin abused her power.
LCfiner said:

finding number two: Palin's firing of Monegan was a proper and lawful exercise of her authority.

see: a few posts up
kkaabboomm said:
GAF---GO!

http://media.adn.com/smedia/2008/10/10/16/Branchflowerreport.source.prod_affiliate.7.pdf

263 pages

edit: page 8: finding number one: ABUSE OF POWER!!!

finding 2: he wasnt fired solely because he wouldnt fire the trooper, but it was a contributory piece. the gov is legally allowed to fire him anyway, so yeah.

finding 3: workers comp is all OK

finding 4: attorney general office fails at life

I read the big McCain Rolling Stone Make-Believe Maverick today.

He is not who most people think he is. Just 2 of the obvious things are going back on Jerry Falwell statement and decent campaign pledge.

But I still don't want him to implode completely. It is probably due to just how hideous the GOP has become that he seems like a good guy in comparison.

UNBREAKING NEWS
Palin acted improperly. This was duh on day 1. It was about how improper do you think she was.

LCfiner

Rur0ni said:
Where is the abuse?

described within the 263 page report that I haven't finished :lol

I'm just glad it's clear now how she attempted to bully Monagan and then fired him for personal reasons.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2008/10/10/144333/57

Fascism or ...

I really hate to invoke the specter of Fascism in a blog entry. It tends to turn some people off, because it seems to be thrown around carelessly. Godwin's Law probably started as a smartassed comment, but there is a lot of common wisdom in it.

In this case, I think there is some merit to discussing it. In the turmoil that occurred in the 1930's, there were people like Mussolini and Hitler that were able to focus the rage, sense of hopelessnes, and fear into rampant nationalism. They were able to find scapegoats to blame for the economic ruin, seperating those that were true patriots from those who were "other". We all know where that led.

I've been watching the McCain and Palin rallies and I think we are beginning to see that same kind of rage and hatred. I have no illusions that McCain or Palin are Hitlers in training. But once the rage is built up, it will need an outlet. Hitler started out as a nobody, and was able to take the rage stoked by the many nationalist groups that preceeded him and harnessed them to establish his base of power. All it takes is the right person and the right atmosphere. I fear that the atmosphere is being established, which is one part of the equation, a leader would complete it.

It doesn't have to go that way though. The same turmoil, rage, and hatred were here in America during the Great Depression. There were nationalist groups all over the country, spreading the same discontent. The difference was that the leader who took charge believed in America, believed in Democracy. Roosevelt was able to channel that rage into good, getting people back to work, even if it meant a dent in our capilistic economy.

The fires that McCain and Palin are stoking, along with day after day of horrible economic news are taking their effect. You hear the hatred, the distrust at the Republican rallies. Allowing shouts of "traitor", "kill him", and other deplorable comments without rebuke from the Republican ticket is irresponsible at the very least and possibly very, very dangerous at worst. If McCain and Palin keep sowing the seeds of discord, what happens if they lose control of the hostility they have fomented?

The economics of our time are rapidly approaching the grim times of the Depression era. People are losing jobs, banks are folding, long established companies are going belly-up, and people are afraid. As a democracy, we have the same choice we faced in the 30's. We can either embrace the fear as the Republicans are doing or we can choose "the better angels of our nature", as Lincoln so elegantly stated it. Which way will we choose? The embrace of fear may open the genie's bottle, releasing forces that cannot be easily controlled peacefully. McCain and Palin are tugging on the cork.

Hit the nail on the coffin.

Amir0x

Banned
Edit: Just saw. Interesting!

Also, MAD PROPS to McCain for doing what he did to his supporter and as forcefully. That's the McCain I like.

LCfiner said:

:lol so what the fuck? That's totally contradictory. If it was proper and lawful, how did she abuse her power?

lopaz

Banned
Amir0x said:
So:

Anything new on troopergate? I went out to dinner so I missed news from 3:00ish until now.

Also, MAD PROPS to McCain for doing what he did to his supporter and as forcefully. That's the McCain I like.

Palins a fucking corrputp woman and its provend

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom