• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2nd Pres. Debate 2008 Thread (DOW dropping, Biden is off to Home Depot)

Status
Not open for further replies.
CharlieDigital said:
:lol so what the fuck? That's totally contradictory. If it was proper and lawful, how did she abuse her power?
I think it signifies that it was her right to fire him but that it was abusive.

jiggle

DeaconKnowledge said:
Nothing drastic's gonna happen with this Troopergate thing, shy of the court of public opinion eviscerating her.

This will be the talk of the whole weekend (probably) along with the whole angry crowd thing. And that's a good thing.

Link648099 said:

more like it was lawful for her to fire the commissioner guy. the gov of course has authority to do this, much like the president is allowed to fire DoJ atty's for whatever reason they want.

she abused her power, according to state ethics laws, etc, which was the main point. though it seems the report says it is more her inaction in getting her husband to STFU about it (though she did actively do things as well)(65-68)

Imm0rt4l

Marvie_3 said:
Coleman is going to stop running negative character ads here in MN? :lol :lol I'll believe that when I see it.....
I think i've seen one positive ad, with his son I believe. He's knee deep in special interest money and more recently revealed, expensive suits. franken has got this imo.

Gosh, I leave my computer for 20 mins and Troopergate breaks.

Abuse of power!!!

BIG DEAL!!

Of course this is a big deal... The economy will be the major story, but this will DEFINITELY get some serious press coverage.

LCfiner

Link648099 said:

that's how i read it. Technically, she can hire and fire people in the position but, in this case, she did so without proper cause and abused her power. She did not, however, break some different law by firing someone she had no authority over.

anyway, no surprises here. Just another confirmation of her character. It probably won't affect polls significantly

Fox318

JayDubya said:
People who live in glass houses shouldn't roll stones that gather no moss.
bda26a9d73640306f46afb14c4d30634.jpg

FUCK! SHIT!

harSon

Banned
Amir0x said:
Edit: Just saw. Interesting!

Also, MAD PROPS to McCain for doing what he did to his supporter and as forcefully. That's the McCain I like.

Give him props for what? Correcting ignorant and factually false assertions by his supporters on national television? If he hadn't corrected her then he would have definitely lost the presidential race. Fact of the matter is it's his campaign (coupled with outsider emails) that is placing these ludicrous thoughts into their heads. Labeling him as mysterious, Who is Barrack Obama?, He's risky, He's out of touch with the American public, Sarah Palin saying that Obama is friends with terrorist(s), following through with the William Ayers story, etc

adamsappel said:
I am interested in who meets your criteria (and why).

He likes Washington, like Hoover or Coolidge or one of those pre-depression presidents (can't remember which) and with all sorts of caveats Jefferson. He essentially likes the one who don't exercise any power in theory or do much and run the goverment as if it was still 1776. so none of them in reality. This discussion always comes up after he goes after FDR.

besada

Banned
Amir0x said:
Edit: Just saw. Interesting!

Also, MAD PROPS to McCain for doing what he did to his supporter and as forcefully. That's the McCain I like.

Well, when your endorsers start talking you down, you have to do something.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Imm0rt4l said:
I think i've seen one positive ad, with his son I believe. He's knee deep in special interest money and more recently revealed, expensive suits. franken has got this imo.

I wonder if they can get Al Franken to be Al Franken on SNL.

GhaleonEB

One good note about the report: it was a unanimous decision to call the investigation, and a unanimous decision to release the report. On a panel controlled 9-3 by Republicans, that makes the claim that this was a Democratic partisan hit piece a lot harder to swallow.

GhaleonEB said:
One good note about the report: it was a unanimous decision to call the investigation, and a unanimous decision to release the report. On a panel controlled 9-3 by Republicans, that makes the claim that this was a Democratic partisan hit piece a lot harder to swallow.
Probably the corrupt Alaskan Republicans that she took a stand against!

Miroku said:
Haha I know but Romney knows about the Economy!

What would've made Romney stand out against McCain or any other Republican VP choice? "Cut taxes for corporations and the rich and it'll trickle down to the middle class". That's it.

besada

Banned
GhaleonEB said:

It's perfect report, too. Democrats can honestly say it says she abused her power, and Republicans can honestly say that it found no wrong doing in the termination.

I don't think it's going to make much difference.

ccbfan

I have a feeling McCain is about to do some massive damage control soon.

All the good will and reputation among the middle and even some on the left he has achieve throughout tern senate terms have pretty much been destroyed in these last few months.

At this point the middle feel that he has betrayed him by pandering to the neo-con while the neo-cons don't like him because he's not fundie enough.

His entire base have been lost. Any votes he's getting is pretty much because he's the Republican candidate.

Amir0x

Banned
But the campaign already released their findings on troopergate, and it said Sarah did nothing wrong. How can she abuse?

front page CNN: "Panel: Palin abused power, violated no laws
Republican vice presidential nominee Sarah Palin abused her power as Alaska's governor in the firing of her former public safety commissioner, but violated no laws, a report for the state Legislature concluded today.

report itself, page 8:
"For the reasons explained in secion IV of this report, I find that Governor Sarah Palin abused her power by violating Alaska Statute..."

did cnn even look at what it actually said?

edit: frontpage MSNBC: "A legislative committee investigating GOP VP nominee Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin finds she unlawfully abused her authority in firing public safety commissioner"
so we know MSNBC read the report...

Trurl

Banned
Miroku said:
Haha I know but Romney knows about the Economy!
Romney could have been a great VP back when the McCain campaign had more directions in which it could go, but things would be more ugly than you could imagine at the McCain rally where Romney shows up in place of Palin.

Actually, that would be worth seeing.:lol

Jonm1010

Banned
harSon said:
Give him props for what? Correcting ignorant and factually false assertions by his supporters on national television? If he hadn't corrected her then he would have definitely lost the presidential race. Fact of the matter is it's his campaign (coupled with outsider emails) that is placing these ludicrous thoughts into their heads. Labeling him as mysterious, Who is Barrack Obama?, He's risky, He's out of touch with the American public, Sarah Palin saying that Obama is friends with terrorist(s), following through with the William Ayers story, etc

All true but i think the video clearly shows, at least in that moment, McCain was truly put off and nervous at how violent their anger sounds. You reap what you sow and all that but in a rare moment, i'm gonna defend McCain here and say he really does appear to have done something "Mavericky" and stood up for something that is gonna cost him votes and backlash from the talk radio and racist base.

But the campaign already released their findings on troopergate, and it said Sarah did nothing wrong. How can she abuse?

1. to use wrongly or improperly; misuse: to abuse one's authority.
2. to treat in a harmful, injurious, or offensive way: to abuse a horse; to abuse one's eyesight.
3. to speak insultingly, harshly, and unjustly to or about; revile; malign.
4. to commit sexual assault upon.
5. Obsolete. to deceive or mislead.
–noun 6. wrong or improper use; misuse: the abuse of privileges.
7. harshly or coarsely insulting language: The officer heaped abuse on his men.
8. bad or improper treatment; maltreatment: The child was subjected to cruel abuse.
9. a corrupt or improper practice or custom: the abuses of a totalitarian regime.
10. rape or sexual assault.
11. Obsolete. deception.
—Idiom12. abuse oneself, to masturbate.

There's your answer.

does anybody happen to have that "fiscal conservative" political comic that shows all presidents, denotes clinton as a tax and spend liberal? i'm looking for it now and if you have it it'd help me out. thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom