• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro Game Master (Game Center CX hackjob) thread | New ep every Thursday 8 PM EST

Willectro

Banned
Sloppy launch to this show. I still haven't been able to watch it because I'm in Canada (yes I am aware of proxies, thanks). Kotaku's layout is awful, the golden days of that website are over.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Watching this again makes me realize how much I want an OG Famicom!

I actually have an AV Famicom, but gimmie the off-white and azuki bean red, son!!

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
BocoDragon said:
Watching this again makes me realize how much I want an OG Famicom!

I actually have an AV Famicom, but gimmie the off-white and azuki bean red, son!!
it's fairly easy to find AV-modded ones on ebay, too.

Prophane33

hutna said:
Wow this video http://vimeo.com/1244534 shows just how much better the "official" version Fuji TV was shopping around was. :(

WOW! Now THAT is how it's done. Great fonts,translated text, original soundtrack, announcer sounds good, accurate well timed subtitles. How the heck did THAT turn into the version we saw on Kotaku.

Prophane33 said:
WOW! Now THAT is how it's done. Great fonts,translated text, original soundtrack, announcer sounds good, accurate well timed subtitles. How the heck did THAT turn into the version we saw on Kotaku.

No kidding. How depressing.

Thanks to jediyoshi for uploading the episode. I was really annoyed last night that it wasn't available in Canada.

I thought the video was pretty good, though I didn't really like the English announcer at points. Will definitely watch more, I love the whiteboard strategies.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
The downside of this is that it makes further fansubs sketchy business..

I really would like to see them all fansubbed eventually.. That is if the Kotaku version continues to be a little gutted..

Downhome

I must me totally out of touch, but this version is my introduction to this entire thing. So hopefully it will do for many others like it has done for me. I now want to find some subbed versions of the original and watch them all. Although, sadly, I haven't been able to find any of them. :(

Downhome said:
I must me totally out of touch, but this version is my introduction to this entire thing. So hopefully it will do for many others like it has done for me. I now want to find some subbed versions of the original and watch them all. Although, sadly, I haven't been able to find any of them. :(
Dunno if this would be helpful but maybe searching "something awful game center" would help.

Downhome

Thanks for that tip. I also dug a little deeper and found a freakin' goldmine. I have a LOT to catch up on now, lol.

jett

D-Member
Thanks jediyoshi! And Kotaku too, despite me being blocked. :p

bh7812 said:
Converting and uploading are all done so I'll throw up the link to where I uploaded it too..it's all good JediYoshi, this way there's two different mirrors for people to choose from :)

www.mediafire.com/bh7812

It's in the Retro Game Challenge Episodes folder, which is where I'll upload them to every week. It's a mp4, 50 MB. The quality of the mp4 is so so was just trying to help get it out as quick as I could. Mediafire is VERY lenient so I doubt they will pull it. I have a ton of other stuff on my account that has been there for a while and hasn't been pulled.

Enjoy!

Your file is incomplete, mayne. :| What I watched was awesomely hilarious. I guess I'll download the big ass 400MB video.

Busaiku

Cow Mengde said:
Guys, wtf is a cock choke or whatever they call him in the dub?
It's "kachou" or section chief.
Seems weird it wasn't translated, cause there are perfectly good equivalents in English.

Ellis Kim

Banned
Busaiku said:
Seems weird it wasn't translated, cause there are perfectly good equivalents in English.
Yeah, I was kind of surprised by that too.

They could have used "boss," or "chief," or any other title :/

hutna said:
Wow this video http://vimeo.com/1244534 shows just how much better the "official" version Fuji TV was shopping around was. :(
wtf, why is this so much better than the one in the OP?

Everything's been translated from the ground up!

Busaiku said:

Ok thanks. It was strange that they didn't translate it.

And yeah, I'm disappointed how badly they butchered it. There's more to it than just games dammit!

jett

D-Member
Finally watched the whole thing, it was funny as hell. I was curious to see if Ninja Gaiden was indeed that cheap and difficult, so I replayed it. I cannot believe that guy was stuck for several hours on that one enemy on stage 2 jeez, LOL. The game is not that bad, it has specific item pickups strategically placed to help you for what's to come. The appearing/disappearing enemies really are fucking awful though. I made it to 5-3 in about 40 minutes but I stopped there before I lost my sanity. I applaud this guy and his team for finishing the entire game, but I think they used cheats, I noticed they had a bunch of ninpo magic at the very final boss.

It's awesome that we're getting this, however i'm still dissapointed that it's half assed. This is barely better than a fansub. I guess it's a money thing.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
jett said:
Finally watched the whole thing, it was funny as hell. I was curious to see if Ninja Gaiden was indeed that cheap and difficult, so I replayed it. I cannot believe that guy was stuck for several hours on that one enemy on stage 2 jeez, LOL. The game is not that bad, it has specific item pickups strategically placed to help you for what's to come. The appearing/disappearing enemies really are fucking awful though. I made it to 5-3 in about 40 minutes but I stopped there before I lost my sanity. I applaud this guy and his team for finishing the entire game, but I think they used cheats, I noticed they had a bunch of ninpo magic at the very final boss.

I have special hate reserved for the birds in Ninja Gaiden.

Zing

Banned
I have no idea what is going on here. I watched the whole video. Is the point that they took some random guy who has a vague familiarity with the famicom and lock him in a room for 16 hours? The video gives zero backstory.

He doesn't even play the entire game himself! His "team" play through levels for him and get him back to the boss.

I find it very hard to believe that anyone who played the famicom back during its time has never played Ninja Gaiden, let alone never heard of it like this guy.

decaf

The dubbing was better than I thought, though there are some pretty annoying name mispronunciations (Are-ey-no instead of A-ri-no) - same could be said for the way many pronounce Mario though. It being localised at all far outweighs any negatives though.

I'm a bit worried that only the game challenges will be translated though. Where are all the arcade visits, interviews and game history lessons?

bh7812

Banned
jett said:
Thanks jediyoshi! And Kotaku too, despite me being blocked. :p

Your file is incomplete, mayne. :| What I watched was awesomely hilarious. I guess I'll download the big ass 400MB video.

argggg I was afraid that had happened...I'll go back and see what went wrong and try to re-upload it so I'll be ready for this Thursday's show! Not your fault, sometimes technology just doesn't want to cooperate it but I will definitely look into this, see what happened and try to fix it

bh7812

Banned
Downhome said:
Thanks for that tip. I also dug a little deeper and found a freakin' goldmine. I have a LOT to catch up on now, lol.

If it's the same goldmine I hit as well, then yeah it's definitely no joke on it being a gold mine! I found over half the series, half appears to be subbed the other half not but I should be able to get me subtitles for the other half :D

Still supporting the US version of it though, it's just I've wanted as close to a complete collection for the series as possible and I believe we've hit the same jackpot.

Malajax

Zing said:
I have no idea what is going on here. I watched the whole video. Is the point that they took some random guy who has a vague familiarity with the famicom and lock him in a room for 16 hours? The video gives zero backstory.

He doesn't even play the entire game himself! His "team" play through levels for him and get him back to the boss.

I find it very hard to believe that anyone who played the famicom back during its time has never played Ninja Gaiden, let alone never heard of it like this guy.

My thoughts as well. I only had a vague familiarity with this show, and to provide zero backstory was a pretty bad move.

I hope they do better with later episodes. A show like this would be huge on G4 or Spike... hell, put it on PBS. But it can't succeed in its current form, at least with a broader audience. They're clearly pandering to a specific audience, but in the worst way possible. It like if they were trying to dub an anime or translate a manga, but leaving terms untranslated for no specific reason when there are a multitude of words to choose from. Just halfway doing things will just confuse the broader audience and likely irritate the targeted audience.

Downhome

The episode this week is Super Fantasy Zone...

http://kotaku.com/5816144/this-thursday-retro-game-master-takes-on-super-fantasy-zone

By the way, since I'm new to this entire thing, can someone explain it to me? I assume that how he reacts and everything is real, but it's odd how he reacts to certain things and doesn't come across as a long time gamer at all, especially since it seems that he has never played any of these games before.

Did they just find someone to do this, who never really played games, to see how that would work or what?

As I understand, he's actually a member of some comedy duo, but in the context of this show he's a fictional section manager. I suppose basically making the angle of the show to see how a blue collar office worker struggles through the games of his younger days.

Big One

Banned
Downhome said:
The episode this week is Super Fantasy Zone...

http://kotaku.com/5816144/this-thursday-retro-game-master-takes-on-super-fantasy-zone

By the way, since I'm new to this entire thing, can someone explain it to me? I assume that how he reacts and everything is real, but it's odd how he reacts to certain things and doesn't come across as a long time gamer at all, especially since it seems that he has never played any of these games before.
That's the idea dude.
Downhome said:
Did they just find someone to do this, who never really played games, to see how that would work or what?
Arino is just a Japanese comedian, but he has played some classic games as a child (like most Japanese dudes his age). He isn't a very good gamer however no. At least initially.

Downhome

Alright, that makes it even more interesting to me. Thanks.

I have checked out some of the other subbed episodes now, and I'm flat out hooked. I love this. I just can't believe it has been around for long and I'm only now discovering it.

And yeah, I agree with all of the previous comments about how the version for here could have been handled so much better. But still, I can't really fault it too much since it is sure to introduce a lot more people like me to it.

I do love the segments when he isn't playing the games as well. It's a nice break, and pretty entertaining and interesting at the same time.

I don't see why they don't just make a version from the ground up for the US, or a different show along the same lines. Surely people would be interested in it.

LiK

I'm hoping they get Ray Barnholt to work on the next season. I made the request but it's up to Ray.

Busaiku

Looked pretty easy initially, but it definitely can get frustrating without continues.
Still doesn't look all that bad, I may check it out for myself.

I liked the bath salt finger dipping/eye mask bit.

Also, it seems the chief didn't get nearly as much time with this game, so it seems that not all games are given the same amount of time for completion.
I'm guessing he got so much time for Ninja Gaiden due to its greater difficulty.

Conan-san

What is up with the Narrator's fear of basic English grammar?

I mean, what, is it like:

Kotaku: "OK, Narrator, I'll make this sporting. if you can go though this whole episode without using the word "The" then I'll let you keep your job"
Narrator: "Ok...Kancho is good at...shooting...things"
Kotaku: "You're Fired"
Narrator: "But I didn't say-"
Kotaku: "Oh you will *Presses Button* "
Narrator: *falls down hole* "THEEEEEEE~"

Downhome

I just started watching the second episode, and oh my lord. After watching some of the original episodes, this is close to unbearable, lol.

I like that these are at least getting some attention, maybe it will lead to a proper release one day. The narrator is pretty grating, but not a deal breaker. I would cross my fingers for the Takeshi Kitano episode, but this watered down format will pretty much ruin it. Should've downloaded it off YT when I had the chance.

thebeeks

Banned
I love GameCenter CX but I just can't get past this announcer guy. Did no one tell him how to pronounce Arino before recording?

Wow, ok, never mind, I found the episodes I saw on YT plus a few more RIGHT HERE. The Kitano ep is on top, still the most funny for me. I apologize if these are common knowledge.

The quality of the localisation leaves something to be desired (mispronouncing names, "Kachou"), but the real disappointment is the lack of the TamaGe sequences. It's literally half the show without them.

Veal

So I guess this is as good of a time as any to plug Retro Game Challenge! If you like this show, you would LOVE the game!

Phatcorns

I have no problem with them not subbing everything and the narrator, but I do have a problem if they're cutting stuff out of the show. That's not cool.

I second Retro Game Challenge. It isn't just a collection of old 80's games like the packaging pics seem to suggest, these games were made specifically for this release. The game doesn't just have an old game feel, it completely captures all the little quirks of growing up in the 80's game generation. From gaming mags with news, reviews, strategies, cheat codes, to game manuals, arcade envy, and turbo buttons, everything makes an appearance. The challenges add a very interesting feel to it all, and once you complete them you can free-play the games with tons of stat tracking. There was a sequel that had more games and covered the 16 bit and hand-held stuff, but it never made it out of Japan (I've lost hope).

Veal

DukeTogo1300 said:
I second Retro Game Challenge. It isn't just a collection of old 80's games like the packaging pics seem to suggest, these games were made specifically for this release. The game doesn't just have an old game feel, it completely captures all the little quirks of growing up in the 80's game generation. From gaming mags with news, reviews, strategies, cheat codes, to game manuals, arcade envy, and turbo buttons, everything makes an appearance. The challenges add a very interesting feel to it all, and once you complete them you can free-play the games with tons of stat tracking. There was a sequel that had more games and covered the 16 bit and hand-held stuff, but it never made it out of Japan (I've lost hope).
I did too, but if Retro Game Master becomes popular enough, maybe somebody will pick it up again
All hope is gone
!

I loved the cameo's from the Gamefan and EGM editors.

Top Bottom