• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro Game Master (Game Center CX hackjob) thread | New ep every Thursday 8 PM EST

LiK

SA had to pull their subbed version of Clock Tower because of this release. If you can find it on YouTube, I recommend it.

Takao

Banned
Anyone else find it weird that they called it "Bio-hazard" in the subs, but then directly after referenced it as "Resident Evil" with the announcer? lol

This week's episode will feature Mighty Bomb Jack. On the one hand, this is an episode I wanted to see translated; I love the original arcade game and played Mighty as a kid. On the other hand, I wanted it to get better treatment than Kotaku will give it (and it had been mentioned as an episode of interest by one of the fan translators).

LiK said:
SA had to pull their subbed version of Clock Tower because of this release. If you can find it on YouTube, I recommend it.

They also still keep the subtitle files around (it's just text after all) so if people want to do a little digging it'd be possible to cobble together a working version without Youtube.

Given the on-screen text necessary to make sense of the game's goings on, and Kotaku's aversion to translating said text, I imagine their version of the episode would've been somewhat incomprehensible.

Takao said:
Anyone else find it weird that they called it "Bio-hazard" in the subs, but then directly after referenced it as "Resident Evil" with the announcer? lol

Consistency (like other c-ency words, like competency) isn't exactly the forte of this translation. I seem to remember a couple of "chiefs" slipping through at some point, despite their (silly) choice to otherwise not translate kachou.

Busaiku

Man, I really don't think the chief would've made any progress without the strategy guide.
Kind of a shame there.

firehawk12 said:
Mighty Bomb Jack was a three part episode... but I guess they're not going to do the other two?

As with most of their episodes, they used the DVD version which compiled the 3 parts into one. What they show featured the first two episodes, and they just kinda cut off the rest.

A fansubber has said they plan on doing the episode that was used for the part Kotaku didn't show.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Box of Bunnies said:
As with most of their episodes, they used the DVD version which compiled the 3 parts into one. What they show featured the first two episodes, and they just kinda cut off the rest.

A fansubber has said they plan on doing the episode that was used for the part Kotaku didn't show.
Ah, that's good at least. I wonder how they decided to only do part of the three episodes though.

firehawk12 said:
Ah, that's good at least. I wonder how they decided to only do part of the three episodes though.

My understanding is that the third part was done live in a hall in front of fans. I suppose that figures into it, or there might've been music rights issues or something. Or maybe Kotaku just didn't want an episode with a runtime greater than an hour.

Mrfb17

Neo Member
Thanks so much for these! I'm in the UK and have been waiting for some awesome people like yourselves to upload these for the less fortunate!

Much love gaffers!

This is the best thing Kotaku has ever done. I look forward to watching these each week, even if they play a really shitty game like the Atlantis game last week.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
CoachKevin said:
This is the best thing Kotaku has ever done. I look forward to watching these each week, even if they play a really shitty game like the Atlantis game last week.
That's one of the best early eps!

So S.O.S. is from the Clock Tower developers. I've never heard of this game, honestly. The ship layout looks awful and a pain in the ass. I loved Arino's "It's a bad ending but I got an ending!" reaction. :lol

Jackano

Many thanks for those who upload the episodes, very appreciated!
I started to buy the JP DVDs too.

Request: Can someone re-upload the first US episode (Ninja Gaiden)? I only have a 60MB version and the end is missing :/

Showing episodes that cover games that were never released in the US doesn't seem like a good way to build up a fanbase in the US. I'll watch anything that Arino plays, but I'm already a fan of the show. What about Billy Everyteen? What can he relate to?

Pyrrhus

Can Billy Everyteen relate to games from this era period, regardless of whether or not they got a domestic release? I always figured the target market for this show was nostalgic thirty-something guys.

Pyrrhus said:
Can Billy Everyteen relate to games from this era period, regardless of whether or not they got a domestic release? I always figured the target market for this show was nostalgic thirty-something guys.

I originally had Joe Schmoe, but I changed it because I like Futurama and saying "Joe Schmoe" makes me feel like an asshole. But yes, I think you're right. I guess John Q. Public would work better in this case. In any case, there's nothing to relate to for an American audience when they show Japanese only games. If they want that foothold, then they need to pick games that people played as children. Only then, once the show is established, should the show more obscure games.

Syn23

I didn't understand if Arino was just being lucky or if it was actually good at the game.
Really a great episode anyway.

I found the Dragon Ball reference very funny.
I don't know if it is as popular in the USA as it is in Europe (in Italy specifically), he was referring to this:
Frieza_all_forms.jpg

(starting from the right corner: 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th forms, the 4th is considerably smaller than 2nd and 3rd)

Gaspode_T

Game Center CX was on Japanese national TV last night (normally it's only aired on the equivalent of some sort of rare cable channel), they showed the Sonic the Hedgehog episode. Pretty painful to watch someone play through Sonic..he takes 15 hours to clear it I think

Syn23 said:
I didn't understand if Arino was just being lucky or if it was actually good at the game.

The AI was obviously kinda screwy, but the matches against the AD and the cameraman showed that he had developed some level of skill with the game I thought.

Top Bottom