• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: WB leaked fake script of Batman v. Superman written by Kevin Smith

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeathyBoy

Banned
He most certainly does, his passion for the franchise is enormous. There's an episode of his podcast he does with his producer Scott Mosier where the whole thing is like a minute to minute blow by blow of the entire Dark Knight Rises plot, all from memory. It's insane how good his memory is for all the details, likely cause he's such a huge fan.

Except his Batman comic-books are very, very poor.

No one's saying he's not a fan. Just saying his sensibility at actually writing the character isn't a particularly good one.

DeathyBoy

Banned
It's an amazing scene from Year One, but now whenever I see it I'll just be thinking he's pissed himself. Whether he did or not, I didn't need to know that.

Stupid as it is to undermine one of Batman's iconic scenes...

This is the guy who holds 99% of the characters in the DC universe at barge pole length, and barely connects with the Bat-family. I doubt he'd even tell Alfred that he pissed himself, let alone anyone else.

Rootbeer

Banned

No one's saying he's not a fan. Just saying his sensibility at actually writing the character isn't a particularly good one.

Count me amongst those agreeing. Love his commentary, love his podcasts, his personality, and (mostly) even his films... but despite his overwhelming love for the character of Batman, his execution is well below par compared to most of the talent we see take him on.

I haven't read his green arrow or daredevil but I'm wondering if it's more or less the same story in those cases.

Although I still dig his concept for the Bruce Wayne at Boarding School series that may have been the inspiration behind Gotham (or at least some last minute changes to it with the whole young Bruce being in the cast as a regular and all). I'd much rather have had the boarding school show but the logistics of making a prime time live action show featuring a mostly tween/young teen cast is probably more than WB wants to deal with.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Count me amongst those agreeing. Love his commentary, love his podcasts, his personality, and (mostly) even his films... but despite his overwhelming love for the character of Batman, his execution is well below par compared to most of the talent we see take him on.

I haven't read his green arrow or daredevil but I'm wondering if it's more or less the same story in those cases.

His Daredevil is... full of unfortunate implications. I'd never say he's sexist, or intended it to be sexist, but it is Mark Miller bad at points.

Green Arrow is a fair bit better. Quiver at least, because the nature of the story is that Oliver's poipped back from death and is a crazy old bastard who think it's the silver age and keeps ranting about how everyone's changed and he doesn't like it not one bit. It's way too wordy, but saved Green Arrow as a character after serious derailment. I mean he was then derailed after the Meltzer follow-up arc again, until Jeff Lemire saved him, but it's a very, very good story.

I think Smith does well with less iconic characters, because there's less restrictions. Throw him someone like Daredevil, who's full of iconic stories, and his style doesn't mesh/doesn't deviate as well as someone like Waid.

His Batman is actually far better written than most other writers. If only because he actually gives him some sort of personality. Most of the time, Batman and Bruce Wayne are written as this dark, brooding figure. He has had very, very little done in the way of actual character development over the last 75 years. He typically is written more as a spring board for the plot and action. His Batman is more in vein of the Denny O'Neil-era with a bit more modernness and personality.

DeathyBoy

Banned
His Batman is actually far better written than most other writers. If only because he actually gives him some sort of personality. Most of the time, Batman and Bruce Wayne are written as this dark, brooding figure. He has had very, very little done in the way of actual character development over the last 75 years. He typically is written more as a spring board for the plot and action. His Batman is more in vein of the Denny O'Neil-era with a bit more modernness and personality.

Good point.

Why like Johns Earth One Batman. The expressive eyes and the 'crap, I mistimed that' stuff makes him really relatable.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I would want to read anything Batman related written by Smith. He gets it.
The actual batman stuff he's written has been awful. Widening Gyre is straight awful.

I don't understand. This sounds like a waste of time and money. Even more if we're being told it's true. What is the point exactly?

Busty

Banned
If the best gig Kevin Smith can get a gig is writing a fake script that will never be made he is truly fucked.

If he had passed I'm sure they would have made an offer to the weird intern who plays WOW all night and doesn't look anyone in the eye to write the fucking thing.

Misinformation heaped upon misinformation.

bengraven

No way it happened. Kevin's just not really that kind of guy to do this.

Write the script for fun and a joke maybe, but not to do WB's bidding.

lunchtoast

Although I still dig his concept for the Bruce Wayne at Boarding School series that may have been the inspiration behind Gotham (or at least some last minute changes to it with the whole young Bruce being in the cast as a regular and all). I'd much rather have had the boarding school show but the logistics of making a prime time live action show featuring a mostly tween/young teen cast is probably more than WB wants to deal with.

That was the podcast with Paul Dini right? They discussed the first/second season in detail, it was crazy.

I listened to all the Fatman on Batman recently that had recognizable names, good stuff even if you're not big on Batman.

people at movie studios care about plot leaks.

They don't care enough to spend money on a fake script just to fool the 5-10% of people who give enough of a shit to read the fansites spreading rumors.

Hell, they don't care enough typically to spend the money on the ACTUAL scripts they use to make the ACTUAL movies. If they can't be shown to value the words they end up putting in the movie itself, I have a hard time believing they value those words to the point they're willing to hire Kevin Smith to blow smoke up a couple thousand people's asses.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Sometimes fans make the worst shit ever. Smith's Batman run was one step above fan-fic and yeah, the pants wetting terror of the night was the worst bit. Sure, you want to ground a character, make him do something human. But pissing your pants in the line of duty isn't a common occurrence for any dangerous profession in the real world, so it sort of takes the mighty Batman down somewhere below the level of the Max Powers. Depends should not be a list of essentials Batman packed for his second mission.

Most people aren't following news of this movie all that closely beyond the odd bit of casting news and photo releases. Terrio's involvement isn't widely known to most.

Which is what makes this "Kevin Smith got hired to write a fake script to fool all the fans" story all that more ridiculous. "The Fans" have no idea who is actually MAKING THE MOVIE anyway. Most of them don't care.

WB isn't going to throw 20-30k at Kevin Smith to write something solely to get one over on ScreenRant or ComicBookMovie.com. They don't give enough of a shit, and neither do the fans themselves.

Brakke

Banned
What even is a "widening gyre" anyway?

From this:

W. B. Yeats said:
The Second Coming

Turning and turning in the widening gyre
The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

Surely some revelation is at hand;
Surely the Second Coming is at hand.
The Second Coming! Hardly are those words out
When a vast image out of Spiritus Mundi
Troubles my sight: somewhere in sands of the desert
A shape with lion body and the head of a man,
A gaze blank and pitiless as the sun,
Is moving its slow thighs, while all about it
Reel shadows of the indignant desert birds.
The darkness drops again; but now I know
That twenty centuries of stony sleep
Were vexed to nightmare by a rocking cradle,
And what rough beast, its hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?

IconGrist

But is he lying? OH LAWD!! What is the truth!?

Doesn't matter though. Everybody walks away from this without a scratch.

Well I hope this leaked script is fake or we're in for... something

You read it yet?

So far as I can tell, what's gotten out is a) not current and b) not being shared by anyone that doesn't already have a movie-news website.

So essentially we have a loose pile of details being drip fed to fans, right? Nothing that really resembles a solid synopsis, much less an understandable throughline in terms of plot and character.

Not that actually having such things would stop both doomsayers and sunshiners from denigrating/praising its chances. :)

Blader

I think it's sad that Affleck and Smith haven't talked in years. I assume Daredevil is to blame.

On a separate note... Yoga Hosers? Moose Jaws? Wtf kind of names are these!

I think it's sad that Affleck and Smith haven't talked in years. I assume Daredevil is to blame.

On a separate note... Yoga Hosers? Moose Jaws? Wtf kind of names are these!

The dude smokes ALOT of weed.

As for his relationship with Affleck, I think it is less a Daredevil thing and more of a "Hollywood" thing unfortunately. Ben Affleck the past couple years has be getting his career back on track in a major way. Seems like when you reach a certain status in hollywood it is probably frowned upon to rub shoulders with "lesser people". It's fucked up.

Blader

Who would have thought that Latino Review's typically thorough vetting process could be so easily fooled...

Lol, he's in a twitter fight with Umberto (@elmayimbe) now. Umberto is claiming that @SonofArrogance won't produce the .pdf's source file as proof that he wrote the script himself; meanwhile, he's taken down the "three new villains revealed" article (it now redirects to the front page) and won't explain why.

Simo

Lol, he's in a twitter fight with Umberto (@elmayimbe) now. Umberto is claiming that @SonofArrogance won't produce the .pdf's source file as proof that he wrote the script himself; meanwhile, he's taken down the "three new villains revealed" article (it now redirects to the front page) and won't explain why.

Lulz. Umberto is now threatening the guy that he has his IP address. wut. lol

ryan299

So I just read it. It's not bad but you can tell that its not a real studio script. There are a ton of errors and the dialogue is very, very cheesy.

Also Lois and Martha are alcoholics in it. I kid you not.

Penguin

So I just read it. It's not bad but you can tell that its not a real studio script. There are a ton of errors and the dialogue is very, very cheesy.

Also Lois and Martha are alcoholics in it. I kid you not.

That was the worst thread in the script

And it's mentioned like 3-4 times... thought was a one-off, but have them getting drunk together

And.. Batman of all characters get the short stick

ryan299

That was the worst thread in the script

And it's mentioned like 3-4 times... thought was a one-off, but have them getting drunk together

And.. Batman of all characters get the short stick

Totally agree. There's really no reason Batman and Superman fight. They just do. It's a weak story point.

Is Latino Review ever right?

Serious question.

Frequently. So far as movie-rumors websites go, their scoops have one of the best, if not the best batting average.

Granted, that average still accounts for some big whiffs and amazing, bat-breaking-over-the-knee-in-frustration strikeouts, but the meme that Latino Review is this assbackwards collection of dipshits farting everything that is shoved in front of them into the ether has less to do with Latino Review's record and more to do with the person making that joke reminding everyone within earshot that HE won't be fooled, HE is smarter than to buy into all that shit, and YOU should be too.

And then they turn around and link to a completely bullshit rumor from ComicBookMovie.com, who linked it from a bullshit fansite who got it from an unverified twitter account.

But THEY won't be fooled. THEY'RE smarter than to buy into that shit. :)

Frequently. So far as movie-rumors websites go, their scoops have one of the best, if not the best batting average.

Granted, that average still accounts for some big whiffs and amazing, bat-breaking-over-the-knee-in-frustration strikeouts, but the meme that Latino Review is this assbackwards collection of dipshits farting everything that is shoved in front of them into the ether has less to do with Latino Review's record and more to do with the person making that joke reminding everyone within earshot that HE won't be fooled, HE is smarter than to buy into all that shit, and YOU should be too.

And then they turn around and link to a completely bullshit rumor from ComicBookMovie.com, who linked it from a bullshit fansite who got it from an unverified twitter account.

But THEY won't be fooled. THEY'RE smarter than to buy into that shit. :)

Are there actually people who think ComicBookMovie is significantly more credible than Latino Review? Lol.

I love Kevin Smith, but I hope to god didn't have a hand in writing the movie. Sure, he's better than Goyer. But even he said he could never write an action movie.

If so, that just piles on to the bad news we've kept hearing about this movie. Where only Affleck and Eisenberg seem to be the decent new additions.

OldRoutes

I love Kevin Smith, but I hope to god didn't have a hand in writing the movie. Sure, he's better than Goyer. But even he said he could never write an action movie.

If so, that just piles on to the bad news we've kept hearing about this movie. Where only Affleck and Eisenberg seem to be the decent new additions.

Well if you read the title correctly you might be reassured.

It's better than most Batman stories of the 00s at least.

I wouldn't say that, either.

Batman: Ego
Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader?
Brubaker/Rucka's run
Hush
Dark Moon Rising
R.I.P.
Under the Hood

those are all better than anything Smith did with the character. And I don't even like a couple of the things that I listed. But they're definitely better stories, and DEFINITELY better takes on the character.

Are there actually people who think ComicBookMovie is significantly more credible than Latino Review? Lol.

If anything, it seems to be the site of choice for all the know-it-alls here. It's certainly the site I see linked to more than any other when it comes to these sorts of movies.

Is Latino Review ever right?

Serious question.

Because it seems like they repeatedly and knowingly lie and few call them on it.

LR is actually fairly reliable when it comes to Marvel. Their DC scoops can be hit or miss though. They're not as bad as other "insider" sites out there though (but not as good as some of the better ones). The worst part about LR honestly is people like El Mayimbe being annoying all the time

Unfortunately.

CBM sucks. Not only do they post false stuff but they steal shit from different places at times

Vice

I wouldn't say that, either.

Batman: Ego
Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader?
Brubaker/Rucka's run
Hush
Dark Moon Rising
R.I.P.
Under the Hood

those are all better than anything Smith did with the character. And I don't even like a couple of the things that I listed. But they're definitely better stories, and DEFINITELY better takes on the character.

If anything, it seems to be the site of choice for all the know-it-alls here. It's certainly the site I see linked to more than any other when it comes to these sorts of movies.

There were a lot of poor comics from that time period though. The Hush follow up series, War Games and Crime, Lovers and Mad Men (and most of Confidential), City of Crime, All-Star, Resurrection of ra's, and a good chunk of Street of Gotham. Smith's stuff is easily above those runs.

There were a lot of poor comics from that time period though. The Hush follow up series, War Games and Crime, Lovers and Mad Men (and most of Confidential), City of Crime, All-Star, Resurrection of ra's, and a good chunk of Street of Gotham. Smith's stuff is easily above those runs.

I think it's maybe better than All-Star and Resurrection.

But your initial statement was that it's better than MOST of what came out of the 2000s, and I don't think the work bears that out. Not in the writing, not in the characterization, and not in the art.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom