• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring 2014 Anime |OT2| about as likely as a second season of Hyouka

Status
Not open for further replies.
Love Live! School Idol Project - Season Review

Well here we are at the season review for the first season of Love Live! Was a good show, was it a good idol show? Who are best girls? The following below will answer these questions!

Disclaimer #1: Since Love Live! is and advertised as an idol show, then I shall compare it off an idol show I’ve already seen: The iDOLM@STER.

Disclaimer #2: Ironically Love Live! will be the first I do a series review divided into six separate categories (that matter to me) for easy reading.

Disclaimer #3: There are SPOILERS ahead.

Plot

For an idol show I’m not really expecting much of plot but on the same token I expect atleast something (be it major or minor) to hook me in initially. Love Live! had nothing of the sort: typical high school setting with a generic goal of saving the high school from shutting down, coupled with the entire idol group of course being a school club. Whilst idol shows consist of young teenage and young adult girls/women, the common anime trope of a high school setting is not necessary, as iM@S has shown, and comes off as an unoriginal setting for the show itself.

Pacing

Love Live! progressed at an enjoyable rate with the exception of the last episode being rushed in tying all the plot threads together within its short time frame. This rushed nature only added to the nature of the ending which its drama felt contrived and forced. Aside from that, however, the pacing was standard.

Characters

Most characters of Love Live! encompassed a character archetype of some sort yet never really expanded off it. Most characters underwent their own character development arcs but a few fell short when compared to other characters in the idol group.

However, special shoutout to Honoka Kousaka. This particular character fulfilled the role of the main character being the leader of the idol group dedicated to overall goal of saving her school… except completely making a 180 direction of character during the last few episodes in that taking a selfish persona based off competing against other idol groups which ultimately resulted in ignoring her surrounding and friend(s) in need, a persona that was not only jarring but had no relevance to the original goal of the show in which this character once encompassed. Haruka Amami from iM@S fulfilled this same role and her drama/character building arc was done better, twice, and said arc never had Haruka forsake her friends in such a way like Honoka did.

Music

Music plays a heavy role in an idol show and as such Love Live! is not an exception. Fortunately a majority of songs in this show were enjoyable with the best ironically coming off of the competing idol group of A-Rise (whose song was only shown once). To compare with iM@S, however, such songs (with the exception of two or three (including A-Rise’s song)) are simply not on the same level. Recalling iM@S’s Chihaya Kasaragi’s ‘Yakusoku’ filled with heavy emotion and orchestral background, Love Live! has no such similar songs.

Animation/Artstyle

Animation in an idol show is a big deal as you’re capturing said characters on screen in their idol activities such as singing and dancing. The show’s regular 2D animation was decent and is done well when applied to its comedic scenes, however, the show decided to also mix in CG models and animation in its actual dances/songs shown, a big aspect of any idol show and here ultimately making it look mediocre. Not only during these segments do constant switches of 2D/CG happen, most of the choreography of each song is done in CG. If anything the usage of CG models served a poor advertisement for the Love Live! game (which I don’t know whether the game or anime came first).

Artstyle is pretty average. While it is pretty Love Live! fails in character design to distinguish a character’s uniqueness with eyes and facial structures looking very similar across multiple idols, having only a select few being the exception (ironically Honoka, leader of the idol group, not being part of said exception). In addition the school uniform was bland also.

Ending

As stated previously the pacing for this show was standard until the ending where it was rushed. The episode before the last exposed a problem that was building up over the previous two episode, then the last episode consisted of the idol group disbanding, an idol member quitting long-term, idols having their faults take over, idols realizing their faults, a time of distance between idols, the idol group reforming, said idol member quitting long-term deciding to not quit, and a concert. This rushed nature added to the contrivance of the drama in the first place stemming from idol leader Honoka which was explained previously. Overall a poor rushed end to the show.

BEST GIRL!??!?!?

An idol show must have best girl! This is terrorist’s law (props to anyone getting this reference)! So who is best girl in my opinion? Well unfortunately I wasn’t invested enough into Love Live! to put a single girl above all the rest. However my top three (in no particular order) are, Eri/Eli Ayase, Umi Sonoda, and Maki Nishikino. These characters sharing a similar characterization of being sane, though said characterization is not limited to being the sole one of declaring best girls of the show.

Overall Rating

Compared to iM@S, Love Live! simply doesn’t. Will I watch its currently airing second season? Most likely after a break from it for a while. Love Live! is a decent idol show with enjoyable music, however doesn’t have the strength to stand equal (or even near-equal) to iM@S which is a shame because with a smaller cast you would think said idol characters would be more fleshed out.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
What is the best shounen opening song of all time?
Hell that's hard. If there's one positive thing that shounen anime as a whole can lay claim to, it's that they have a disproportionately high number of great, memorable OPs compared to anime as a whole. Of course, part of that is an inherent advantage of many of these shows running long enough to result in several OPs per show and thus increasing the likelihood of at least one standout OP, but even between, for instance, One Piece and Bleach, there might be ten or fifteen OPs that are really good listening.

If I had to list FIVE that I really like in no particular order, though:

1. Brand New World (One Piece) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KXBIPZ_c_I
2. Makka na Chikai (Busou Renkin) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IcYnLcWYYo
3. Tonight Tonight Tonight (Bleach) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-s94SBuQ99U
4. Again (Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGcoZh3MIiY
5. Sono Chi no Sadame (JoJo Phantom Blood) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZtGDSZie5I

Oh, but it doesn't even compare to this or this

There's also the Hilarious Canadian OP

The spanish version basically did the first one in spanish. That's the one I know.

As to the second one? What is this Dragon Ball GT it references? I don't recall that show exisiting.... my brain feels weird.

Also speaking of hispanic version of songs, prepare to be amazed by glorious childhood memories of mine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHM1Hnz1CY0

CABALLEROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOS DEL ZODIAAAAAAAAAAACO

The spanish version basically did the first one in spanish. That's the one I know.

As to the second one? What is this Dragon Ball GT it references? I don't recall that show exisiting.... my brain feels weird.

Also speaking of hispanic version of songs, prepare to be amazed by glorious childhood memories of mine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHM1Hnz1CY0

CABALLEROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOS DEL ZODIAAAAAAAAAAACO

Hey man GT sucks but that OP is great.

And we doing foreign OPs now? I like this one

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Prefer the og fma openings (although I'm superfond of op1/Again, as I linked above). I mean yo damn.

Not so fond of the song here, but Soul Eater's first opening has some great animation.

I remember watching FMA for the first time on adult swim as a teenager and just about shitting myself when the OP suddenly changed from Ready Steady Go to Rewrite around episode 40. I wasn't expecting a new OP that nailed the bleak tone of the final arc at all.

Then discovering that there were two more OPs that [as] didn't even air.

Jarmel

Banned
Prefer the og fma openings (although I'm superfond of op1/Again, as I linked above). I mean yo damn.

Not so fond of the song here, but Soul Eater's first opening has some great animation.

I would say the OG FMA OPs aren't as sharp on a direction front compared to Brotherhood's ones. Like the one you linked is sort of meandering all over the place. I do very much like the songs though.

Yea I hated the fuck out of the song for the first OP for Soul Eater. I would say the best are OP 4 and OP 2. I think OP 4 is stronger on a direction standpoint but OP 2 is my favorite due to the song.

Honestly if good music is something you're looking into, definitely watch Gintama. Easily the best songs, not only in the OP's and ED's but also the OST.

edit: totally off topic but I still can't get used to having a tag.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I know this is an OP discussion, but ED3 was the best thing to come out of Soul Eater audiovisually overall.

I know this is an OP discussion, but ED3 was the best thing to come out of Soul Eater audiovisually overall.

I agree. Dat Diggy mo

Some Inuyasha openings were good too. Yes I said it.

I like this one. Don't judge me

Oh please.

If we're talking about ED's I will literally fight you if you don't post this song as the best shonen ED

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McwljLS8sYc

Seriously I will. Raise those fists up.

Impeccable taste.

jgminto

It's harder for me to think of great shonen EDs, I usually end up skipping them. The Roundabout and Walk Like an Egyptian JoJo EDs are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head. The visuals in the second are so good.

edit: totally off topic but I still can't get used to having a tag.

What a dorky tag.

Fuck! The one night I decide to have a social life and something good happens!

Oh well!

Kawai Complex Guide 9
AhXYnD0.jpg
Am I kawaii uguu, Senpai?

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Oh please.

If we're talking about ED's I will literally fight you if you don't post this song as the best shonen ED

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McwljLS8sYc

Seriously I will. Raise those fists up.

Nostalgia factor is unbeatable with this one but it's almost nothing but reused animation from the show so it can't win audiovisually.

Some Inuyasha openings were good too. Yes I said it.

Grip was probably my fave.

Inuyasha was rare in that it had better EDs than OPs, though. Shinjitsu no Uta > *

Jarmel

Banned

You know, as a kid, I really didn't like the first ED. I thought it was pretty boring but now, I've really come to appreciate it on a lot of levels and it really is a fantastic ED. It says something when the entire ED is on Sakuga wiki. It's literally one big one-take and doing this in an animated format is hard as fuck. There's so many shifting perspectives and Norimitsu Suzuki put in some work.

That said....

My favorite is either ED 2 or ED 3. I think song-wise, ED 2 is my favorite. Such a great song.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom