• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Zestiria announced for PS3 [announced worldwide]

Status
Not open for further replies.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Apparently Laila is waiting for someone with the potential to become a
"Fon Master".

Unless it was mistranslated then that could mean that Zestiria takes place in the same world as Tales of the Abyss.
Megaton if true.

Aeana

Fon Master
would be written in Katakana, I can't see that on the scan

No, in Abyss, the word used for that was 導師, and that's the same word used in the scan. However, they take liberty with this term in Abyss in both the English translation and IIRC in the original they used yomigana to give the term a new reading as well. The Japanese term is a more general term and does not at all indicate that there's any connection between the two.

Fisico

No, in Abyss, the word used for that was 導師, and that's the same word used in the scan. However, they take liberty with this term in Abyss in both the English translation and IIRC in the original they used yomigana to give the term a new reading as well. The Japanese term is a more general term and does not at all indicate that there's any connection between the two.

Doushi ?

This word has been used since the first time they showed the game, nothing new then.

Soriku

Layla/Lailah looks amazing. Easily the best character so far. Inomata <3

Anyone else noticed how she has white hair in the art, but in the screenshot its brown? Interesting.

Her hair looks gray in the shots.

She looks good. Her outfit is nice. I'm surprised we got another female character after Edna though. I thought they'd switch to a male character this time. I'm guessing the next one will be a dude.

The genre for this game is "An RPG where passion lights up the world." It's catchphrase is "Tradition will one day become 'hope'." According to AbyssalChronicles.

demidar

I liked the story in Tales of Graces. :<

That's fine but it doesn't make it not bad. I like plenty of terrible things.

As to the new character, not really feeling it. Her design feels mashed together. Even Edna has some clear theme to her.

Maybe we should wait for some extra shots of her character.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
New character design is meh. Man... all of these designs really remind me of older Tales games but they sure seem bland!

Soriku

The designs are middle of the road for me so far. Better than some (Legendia, Phantasia, Eternia), not as good as others (Symphonia, Vesperia, Xillia especially Xillia 2, Graces).

Gonna have to see the whole cast though. I hope there are 8 characters, not 6. Also the cast needs some older members.

Datschge

To me it looks like every character designer got to do his/her usual style, unlike in Xillia where the designs were more normalized to some generic agreeable anime style. Honestly no really a fan of such mixed bags. Hope this doesn't extend to the game design (again) and the music.

The female character designs so far have been pretty awesome.

Still waiting for some cool male characters. Slay is okay, but Hubert 2.0 is pretty meh.

Zafir

New character design is meh. Man... all of these designs really remind me of older Tales games but they sure seem bland!
Yeah that's pretty much my opinion. I hope the personalities are more interesting than the designs, not holding my breath though as designs are usually a reflection of their personality/archetype. :x

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Hopefully the entire cast is not as horrible as Abyss.

Although if they do in the end then I'd be damn impressed because Abyss is hard to beat.

Autofokus

Do the Tales games play all the same?
I just bought Xillia (EU PSN sale), my very first Tales game and I'm just wondering if those games are really different (just based on the release schedule).

Only played ~2hours so far and it made a nice first impression. Any recommendations if I want to try another one afterwards? Is the latest always the 'best', like -I don't know- with sports games?

raven777

I just bought Xillia (EU PSN sale), my very first Tales game and I'm just wondering if those games are really different (just based on the release schedule).

Only played ~2hours so far and it made a nice first impression. Any recommendations if I want to try another one afterwards? Is the latest always the 'best', like -I don't know- with sports games?

The basic structures are very similar in terms of game design. For the battle system, the fundamental design is the same(free moving action style) but each title have their unique battle system.

And the latest is not always the best. There are some fantastic older Tales games. If you have PS3, you could get Tales of Graces f(which is suppose to have the best 3D battle system in the series) and you could play Xillia 2 when it comes out. Also there is Tales of Symphonia HD which released recently. Its based on gamecube/ps2 so the graphics are not that great but the overall game is considered one of the better tales games around.

RalchAC

Tales of Graces f has the best gameplay but it has bad characters and story.

Tales of Vesperia is imo the best 7th gen Tales of (haven't played Xillia 2). Battle system is similar to Xillia but a little more simple (no linking, no changing allies during battle) but it has the best cast I've seen in the series so far. Story is decent but the last 10 hours or so are a little weak. Cell-shaded graphics are wonderful. Sadly the PS3 version was never released in the West (so it's a 360 exclusive here).

Autofokus

Thanks to you both for the infos!

Tales of Graces f is also on sale right now, so I will probably snatch that too. I assume those games are quite long, so those two should be enough for the next few months.

demidar

Tales of Vesperia is imo the best 7th gen Tales of (haven't played Xillia 2). Battle system is similar to Xillia but a little more simple (no linking, no changing allies during battle) but it has the best cast I've seen in the series so far. Story is decent but the last 10 hours or so are a little weak. Cell-shaded graphics are wonderful. Sadly the PS3 version was never released in the West (so it's a 360 exclusive here).

image.php

I think Vesperia has the best cast too.

Mendax

Thanks to you both for the infos!

Tales of Graces f is also on sale right now, so I will probably snatch that too. I assume those games are quite long, so those two should be enough for the next few months.

they are very very long games. Xillia I loved every second of, and Graces F had me put off in the beginning by its childish display but that changes real fast after the intro level. The combat system in graces felt a bit off at first too but after the intro it might be the best ever (once you have unlocked some cool abilities and can chain them).

Rpgmonkey

A little bit of new info, I think it should just be the usual Famitsu follow-up on stuff from the Jump leak last week.

Doushi
They are capable of entering into contracts with multiple Tenzoku. The ideal is for them to make a contract with a Tenzoku of all four elements, but almost none of the Doushi in history have accomplished that (another plot event they've made pretty obvious or outright confirmed...).

Battle Styles
So it looks like Zestiria's arte system/controls are based on Graces' A-arte and B-arte system. For now it seems like it's just continuing Graces' concept of getting rid of the normal attack button in favor of two arte buttons though (assuming they didn't dump it to L1 or something awkward like that), no confirmation of anything like arte trees for now. This may also make it safer assume this is using CC or something new instead of TP.

Humans' Battle Style
The Circle button is for Tokugi (I think these are usually called Base Artes in English?), which are faster and more mobile attacks. The X button is for Ougi (Arcane Artes), which are better at breaking through enemy defenses and I'm guessing are more powerful.

Tenzoku's Battle Style
The Circle button is for Tokugi that can be used to attack from mid-range, and the X button is for Tenkyoujutsu (magic artes), which are more powerful and can be used from a longer distance.

Artes
Miculio can learn the attacks Splash, Violet High, Twin Flow, Kirimizu, and Taramizu.

Edna can learn Air Pressure, Rock Lance, Embrace End, Powder Snow, and Sky.

Very glad to hear it's taking inspiration from one of the very best 3D Tales battle systems, but I really hope it isn't a Team Symphonia-style evolution a la Abyss to Vesperia. One of the strengths of Udo's battle systems is the uniqueness of those systems, and one of my qualms with Team Symphonia stems from the minimal evolution in combat between their games. Graces' combat is (mostly) well liked, but I hope they aren't just tweaking it and calling it a day simply because it was popular enough to do well in surveys.

Here's to hoping the limiter is something special.

kewlmyc

A little bit of new info, I think it should just be the usual Famitsu follow-up on stuff from the Jump leak last week.

Doushi
They are capable of entering into contracts with multiple Tenzoku. The ideal is for them to make a contract with a Tenzoku of all four elements, but almost none of the Doushi in history have accomplished that (another plot event they've made pretty obvious or outright confirmed...).

Battle Styles
So it looks like Zestiria's arte system/controls are based on Graces' A-arte and B-arte system. For now it seems like it's just continuing Graces' concept of getting rid of the normal attack button in favor of two arte buttons though (assuming they didn't dump it to L1 or something awkward like that), no confirmation of anything like arte trees for now. This may also make it safer assume this is using CC or something new instead of TP.

Humans' Battle Style
The Circle button is for Tokugi (I think these are usually called Base Artes in English?), which are faster and more mobile attacks. The X button is for Ougi (Arcane Artes), which are better at breaking through enemy defenses and I'm guessing are more powerful.

Tenzoku's Battle Style
The Circle button is for Tokugi that can be used to attack from mid-range, and the X button is for Tenkyoujutsu (magic artes), which are more powerful and can be used from a longer distance.

Artes
Miculio can learn the attacks Splash, Violet High, Twin Flow, Kirimizu, and Taramizu.

Graces f's battle system? All they have to do is not make an insufferable main character and have a decent story and this might be my favorite 3D Tales game.

"Battle Styles
So it looks like Zestiria's arte system/controls are based on Graces' A-arte and B-arte system. For now it seems like it's just continuing Graces' concept of getting rid of the normal attack button in favor of two arte buttons though (assuming they didn't dump it to L1 or something awkward like that), no confirmation of anything like arte trees for now. This may also make it safer assume this is using CC or something new instead of TP."

Z9Xl3Qw.gif

Ahhh....there we go: another 150 hours of goodness.

Proven

Doushi

Battle Styles

Humans' Battle Style

Tenzoku's Battle Style

Artes

The Human style sounds a lot like Asbel/Hubert/Sophia. The Tenzoku style sounds like Cheria/Pascal/Malik.

Doushi

Battle Styles

Humans' Battle Style

Tenzoku's Battle Style

Artes

God is real. TP can fuck off.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Graces combat? Give it to me now!

Hopefully Slay is better than Asbel. Who's writing again?

What's this? This game will have the same battle system as Graces, one of my favourite PS3 games of all time?

Well my hype for this game has significantly increased! Now please let the characters and story be enjoyable. Please.

Soriku

Very glad to hear it's taking inspiration from one of the very best 3D Tales battle systems, but I really hope it isn't a Team Symphonia-style evolution a la Abyss to Vesperia. One of the strengths of Udo's battle systems is the uniqueness of those systems, and one of my qualms with Team Symphonia stems from the minimal evolution in combat between their games. Graces' combat is (mostly) well liked, but I hope they aren't just tweaking it and calling it a day simply because it was popular enough to do well in surveys.

Here's to hoping the limiter is something special.

They said there would be new systems, so yeah, hopefully it's a change up. And please add in air combat; it was sorely missing in Graces.

Do you guys think this info is worth a new thread? A lot of people here seem to like Graces' combat.

Seda

Do you guys think this info is worth a new thread? A lot of people here seem to like Graces' combat.

That's probably a good idea. This thread has become a bit of a megathread, which we typically want to avoid. New news and all that. Actually had a brief chat about this topic with other mods today.

Whoever wants to, please post a thread with recent information, and it might be worth it to post some of the recent screens too for those who don't frequent this thread. Don't rush to post a new one. I'll lock this one after.

Videoneon

Doushi

Battle Styles

Humans' Battle Style

Tenzoku's Battle Style

Artes

Yes. TP sucks.

I was going to say that there had to be six characters based on the Doushi explanation that mentions making contract with Tenzoku of all four elements, but then there was the description of the battle system that normalizes things (at least conceptually) to Humans vs Tenzoku. if there were only six charactersIt would "accelerate" the potential pairing and just in general the relationship of Slay and Alicia, in spite of the apparent Laila deal, because they're the only non-Tenzoku people. Unless Bamco pulls a fast one. Hey, the Asbel-Sophie and Asbel-Richard relationship are given more time than the Asbel-Cheria relationship.

But would Bamco really just go with four Tenzoku and two humans? You could attempt to pull a fast one with the wind Tenzoku character (he wears green and such but he's not actually Tenzoku, you have to find a wind Tenzoku to contract with in-game and a clue that he's not Tenzoku is his melee-oriented battle style) but I don't see Bamco going through with that either. could be seven or eight characters. Which I don't like =\, eight is too big

Anyway it's awesome to see something Graces-inspired but I find the separation between Tenzoku and Human battle styles a little off putting.

Now we just have to see what exploration of the overworld is like!

Soriku

That's probably a good idea. This thread has become a bit of a megathread, which we typically want to avoid. New news and all that. Actually had a brief chat about this topic with other mods today.

Whoever wants to, please post a thread with recent information, and it might be worth it to post some of the recent screens too for those who don't frequent this thread. Don't rush to post a new one. I'll lock this one after.

I'll handle it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom