• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Zestiria announced for PS3 [announced worldwide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
After beating Xillia, it was pretty bad. No overworld, lack of hidden things / side quests (ala the Sauna in Vesperia), two main characters was pretty boring, didn't add much, hardly any non-dlc outfits. Hope this one is more like Vesperia.

I don't understand this. I just beat Xillia as well, found it far more interesting than vesperia. The Skits, the ensemble cast, was fantastic, and everything extra was story based for the most part except for the mysterious orbs and the devil arms. I really like the fight mechanic and the fact we could level up the store, other than that the art could have been sharper (one thing I give a nod to vesperia for) but I preferred everything else.

I hope this new game keeps up the character interaction and humor that Xillia had.

a745

Yup, but we all know that the next mothership title after Zestiria will be on PS4, just don't expect it until, at best, Winter 2015.

IMHO 2016 would even be too early for that, given how they've been going about the idea of next gen (I'm talking about release date btw, not info).

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I don't understand this. I just beat Xillia as well, found it far more interesting than vesperia. The Skits, the ensemble cast, was fantastic, and everything extra was story based for the most part except for the mysterious orbs and the devil arms. I really like the fight mechanic and the fact we could level up the store, other than that the art could have been sharper (one thing I give a nod to vesperia for) but I preferred everything else.

I hope this new game keeps up the character interaction and humor that Xillia had.

Hopefully it doesnt recycle as much as Xillia and cut content that is popular in the series. (Cameos, Events, etc) but overall I agree that Xillia overall is better game than Vesperia. Vesperia visuals aged well but not the gameplay. Vesperia cast might get a bit of the edge but both sides are great.

Fisico

Too early.
IMHO 2016 would even be too early for that, given how they've been going about the idea of next gen (I'm talking about release date btw, not info).

I was rather thinking about 2016 too, but we have no idea about how "big" Zestiria is, just that they're still reusing the same graphic engine, and for all we know with the Bamco staff shuffle it's not impossible for them to already have another team working on a PS4 title for a few months already
I don't think there's a PS4 title scheduled for 2015, but I wouldn't rule out the possibility yet

FSLink

Banned

Xillia had a lot of steps in the right direction (story being better, solid cast, a decent soundtrack) but went a few steps back in the gameplay department...which although Xillia's battle system is more "fun", Vesperia's is easily more polished and balanced for bosses and stuff. Plus the lack of sidequests in Xillia is disappointing. Luckily Xillia 2 fixes a few of these issues so I hope Zesteria keeps Xillia's presentation and makes sure to keep the game content heavy.

a745

I was rather thinking about 2016 too, but we have no idea about how "big" Zestiria is, just that they're still reusing the same graphic engine, and for all we know with the Bamco staff shuffle it's not impossible for them to already have another team working on a PS4 title for a few months already
I don't think there's a PS4 title scheduled for 2015, but I wouldn't rule out the possibility yet

That is IF they really do already have a team working on a next gen title... ;)

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death

If that were the case then they wouldn't have given the 20th anniversary title to Zestiria but the next gen game. I disagree entirely with your assessment.

That is IF they really do already have a team working on a next gen title... ;)

Its safe to assume that they always have a few people working on the next title as very early pre-production. Always.

Fisico

If that were the case then they wouldn't have given the 20th anniversary title to Zestiria but the next gen game. I disagree entirely with your assessment.

What about two anniversary titles ?
courageisthemagicthblraaji.jpg

Oh well, they'll go with Tales of Zestiria Explosive Full Boost on PS4 then.
The planning is just rather empty regarding Tales of, it's good for them to calm down but there is next to nothing scheduled right now.

Its safe to assume that they always have a few people working on the next title as very early pre-production. Always.

Well, obviously.
The question is rather how many people are working on it, since Xillia 2 didn't mobilize as much staff as Xillia, Zestiria was probably already in full development mode way before the release of Xillia 2, I was wondering if it's actually the same for Zestiria/Next title after seeing what Zestiria looks like.

Datschge

The question whether they rebuilt a second team is the real wildcard here. Though at this point I'd assume work on an engine for PS4 will be centralized at Bandai Namco Studios and the first games using it won't be Tales ones.

Rpgmonkey

It seems like Inomata was going for a mysterious, less human look with this character's eyes and they lost that with his model by giving him big anime eyes similar to the other two characters, which gives him an even more typical bishounen face instead of something with a little more character. The kinda generic anime eyes they use in the character models also makes me notice the times where it's like their eyes aren't focused on anything, or they're unnaturally focused on some random object or person. Looks weird lol.

That little complaint aside, this character looks like he would fit in as a character from Destiny or Eternia. I don't think any of the designs are amazing, but it seems like they're dialing things back to designs that wouldn't look too out of place in the first tree or four Tales games, which is interesting. Revealing one character at a time lines up for a 6-person party if they're trying to have every playable character known by the Tales of Festival, but at the moment it still doesn't really come across as if they're targeting a late Summer/early Fall release, so I can still see an 8+ group happening.

And it looks like our inevitable made-up Tales name for the casts' magic and super powers is "Tenkyoujutsu" (天響術). Basically pure individuals can access some ability that lets them use magic and stuff. His expertise lying in water elemental Tenkyoujutsu makes me wonder if it'll be like Destiny R and every character will specialize in one or two attributes, requiring some mix and matching for maximum effectiveness (already Srei, Alisha, and Mecurio would cover slash, Shot/Pierce, and Strike respectively, in regards to the physical attack attributes).

Videoneon

It seems like Inomata was going for a mysterious, less human look with this character's eyes and they lost that with his model by giving him big anime eyes similar to the other two characters, which gives him an even more typical bishounen face instead of something with a little more character. The kinda generic anime eyes they use in the character models also makes me notice the times where it's like their eyes aren't focused on anything, or they're unnaturally focused on some random object or person. Looks weird lol.

That little complaint aside, this character looks like he would fit in as a character from Destiny or Eternia. I don't think any of the designs are amazing, but it seems like they're dialing things back to designs that wouldn't look too out of place in the first tree or four Tales games, which is interesting. Revealing one character at a time lines up for a 6-person party if they're trying to have every playable character known by the Tales of Festival, but at the moment it still doesn't really come across as if they're targeting a late Summer/early Fall release, so I can still see an 8+ group happening.

And it looks like our inevitable made-up Tales name for the casts' magic and super powers is "Tenkyoujutsu" (天響術). Basically pure individuals can access some ability that lets them use magic and stuff. His expertise lying in water elemental Tenkyoujutsu makes me wonder if it'll be like Destiny R and every character will specialize in one or two attributes, requiring some mix and matching for maximum effectiveness (already Srei, Alisha, and Mecurio would cover slash, Shot/Pierce, and Strike respectively, in regards to the physical attack attributes).

His design is the most interesting so far, in large part due to the use of color for me. More lavender or purple would've made it sweeter. I do agree somewhat with the eyes, at least in the official art he just looks dull but in that screencap of him where he's scowling he looks cooler and the idea of it reflecting some sort of antagonism or the personality friction between himself and the main character is what makes that image stand out for me. I wish his hairstyle was a little different too, right now he looks too shota. Otherwise, I do quite like him.

I also think the elemental expertise thing seems to suggest we'll get a fire and an earth and a wind character. I suppose it's possible the roster will get bumped to eight and those last two can have light and shadow elements relegated to them (or they can just not care about the pattern with the last two,) but I don't see it as likely.

Fisico

The question whether they rebuilt a second team is the real wildcard here. Though at this point I'd assume work on an engine for PS4 will be centralized at Bandai Namco Studios and the first games using it won't be Tales ones.

Yep.
But what are the biggest licenses of Bamco right now ?
It feels like more and more of their biggest names are going f2p (Tekken, Ace Combat, Soul Calibur, even Im@s has a weird platform...) and I'm not even sure they have many licenses aside from the Tales series that can crack 1 million copies for an episode worldwide

(NB : I'm talking about Bandai Namco developped games, CC2 From Software
and others aren't really relevant in this discussion)

Datschge

It feels like more and more of their biggest names are going f2p (Tekken, Ace Combat, Soul Calibur, even Im@s has a weird platform...) and I'm not even sure they have many licenses aside from the Tales series that can crack 1 million copies for an episode worldwide

True, Bamco's handling of brands is a mess since quite some time already. I honestly lost track of what's still done in-house and what has been outsourced. Now Tales can finally join that uncertainty as well!

kewlmyc

I've never played a tales game before so which is the best one to buy for PS3?

Graces F or Xillia 1?

Depends on what you want from a JRPG.

If gameplay is more important: Graces F (Xillia still has great gameplay, but Graces F has the best combat of the 3D Tales game, hands down)

If story, characters, and music are more important: Xillia (Graces' story and characters are so generic and bland, it's kinda insulting)

Personally I would recommend Xillia since the gameplay is more inline with your average Tales game and it has a direct sequel coming out this year.

Depends.

Gameplay great, bad to mediocre everything else: Graces f

Good across the board: Xillia

If it makes any difference I think Ni No Kuni is great and about half way through Eternal Sonata and enjoying it as well. So based off that would Xillia be the best to get for my 1st Tales experience?

Korigama

Graces has an awesome gameplay, but story and characters are a bit childish.
Xillia is more mature, but the game's overall quality is quite bad.
There's nothing bad about Xillia's quality (let alone "quite bad"). The only viable complaint is the amount of asset reuse.

FSLink

Banned
There's nothing bad about Xillia's quality (let alone "quite bad"). The only viable complaint is the amount of asset reuse.

Boss fight design and balance is pretty bad. And lack of end-game content. It's still pretty fun despite that but it definitely has issues outside of just the asset reuse.

Korigama

Boss fight design and balance is pretty bad. And lack of end-game content. It's still pretty fun despite that but it definitely has issues outside of just the asset reuse.
The boss battles are generally easy, but I don't particularly care either way (the Devil Beast bonus bosses have been more challenging than anything else). Having only played Abyss before it, I haven't seen any difference in regard to balance. Not particularly concerned with end-game content (unless it concerns Mystic Artes, which it has been lacking; that limited amount did bother me).

FireCloud

Playing Xillia now though I haven't finished. About 20 hours in and I've enjoyed what I've played so far.

It is my first "Tales of" game and I'm thinking of getting Xillia 2 and probably the other PS3/Vita games in the future.

a745

New info up today. It seems that village Slay was being raised in is actually full of the Tenzoku, and not humans. But Slay treats them like they're the same as him 'cause he's never really seen a human outside of the village. But normal humans can't see 'em, so it'll be quite a surprised once he brings Alicia to where they live.

Also, they're hinting at modifiable default costumes. You can remove Slay's really big cape, for instance.

New info up today. It seems that village Slay was being raised in is actually full of the Tenzoku, and not humans. But Slay treats them like they're the same as him 'cause he's never really seen a human outside of the village. But normal humans can't see 'em, so it'll be quite a surprised once he brings Alicia to where they live.

Also, they're hinting at modifiable default costumes. You can remove Slay's really big cape, for instance.

Oh boy, are they going to have another RACISM plot?

FSLink

Banned
The boss battles are generally easy, but I don't particularly care either way (the Devil Beast bonus bosses have been more challenging than anything else). Having only played Abyss before it, I haven't seen any difference in regard to balance. Not particularly concerned with end-game content (unless it concerns Mystic Artes, which it has been lacking; that limited amount did bother me).
If you play on a harder difficulty they had the tendency of auto breaking out of combos often which really goes against how the battle system is designed.

And really, another racism plot? Lol.

I want to buy this but I feel like an enhanced PS4 port will be announced after its release. It would make sense as there will very little for it to compete with on the platform.

R0ckman

Ugh... The main character just looks so lame, just like he was crapped out of a US "how to draw manga" book.

At least Inomata did OK with the new character, it's no Destiny or Rebirth work, but the way they are crapping out the games now, a toll was bound to be taken on the designers.

Actually, this new guy looks a biiit familiar in design.... Too familiar...

Mao185_2175.jpg

This idea could go so wrong, but could be so right...I just don't trust them to pull it off, y aknow?

He looks like he was DRESSED by Fukushima though (note the angular flaps).

Also, the removal thing is neat
as long as it isn't behind a paywall lololol

Soriku

l_530457fc30ba19pu1j.jpg

"Dafaq you say?"

Love his expression lol.

People who were annoyed by Slay's cape should be happy you can take it off. Actually his outfit looks a lot better and is actually cool without it.

Pooya

invisible character gonna set up a lot of funny scenes, I approve.

Character designs so far are 0.75 out of the 3 revealed for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom