• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Zestiria announced for PS3 [announced worldwide]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rpgmonkey

Keep in mind this is the publisher which waited 3 years into last gen before starting putting any Tales games on them. That turned out to be a huge mess until they finally settled for the system that currently enjoys the vast majority of console software sales in Japan. You seriously think they'll jump faster this gen, having made that experience?

Are you sure you are talking about Tales game?

They used improved visuals for Graces f as a marketing point so...

And I'm not thinking of "moving to next gen" as in releasing a mothership for PS4 next year. I think something smaller like a port is certainly a option, whether it's standalone or just thrown in as an option to the PS3 version, but not an all new title. Maybe it won't happen, but I'm not really going to place a rerelease as some kind of make-or-break risk for them should they decide to try it. :p.

I think it helps that they don't really have anywhere else to move on to, but I don't expect anything major until 2016 at the earliest.

Datschge

The jump between the PS2 and the 360 was larger than the PS3 is to the PS4 in terms of actually developing for them. Initially.

Not sure what that has to do with the post you quoted. It's the achievable sales (in the primary market Japan) that matters.

They used improved visuals for Graces f as a marketing point so...

They also did that with ToS Chronicles. Point is everything is moving to PS3 atm.

And I'm not thinking of "moving to next gen" as in releasing a mothership for PS4 next year. I think something smaller like a port is certainly a option, whether it's standalone or just thrown in as an option to the PS3 version, but not an all new title. Maybe it won't happen, but I'm not really going to place a rerelease as some kind of make-or-break risk for them should they decide to try it. :p.

I think it helps that they don't really have anywhere else to move on to, but I don't expect anything major until 2016 at the earliest.

Well, they tried to "migrate people" to DS, Xbox 360, Wii, 3DS and, the greatest success of all migrations in history, Vita. Yeah, maybe they'll prematurely try that with a port to PS4 as well and then proceed to drop the system like a hot potato exactly like they did with 3DS.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Not sure what that has to do with the post you quoted. It's the achievable sales (in the primary market Japan) that matters.

They took the time that they did because of development for HD. Not solely because of install base or potential sales.

They also did that with ToS Chronicles. Point is everything is moving to PS3 atm.

I disagree. Everything is moving to either Sony based platforms or mobile.

Negator

Keep in mind this is the publisher which waited 3 years into last gen before starting putting any Tales games on them. That turned out to be a huge mess until they finally settled for the system that currently enjoys the vast majority of console software sales in Japan. You seriously think they'll jump faster this gen, having made that experience?

It's possible. They know this gen that their fans are on Playstation, and one of the big points of the Playstation 4 is that it is easy to develop games for. They already know how to make HD games now.

I'm sure sales of the PS4 will be a huge factor, though. Playstation is the only horse in this race in Japan on consoles, so it's really a no brainer.

Datschge

They took the time that they did because of development for HD. Not solely because of install base or potential sales.

May be the case, doesn't change the fact that after leaving the safe ship that was PS2 they butchered the release pattern and repeatedly alienated a part of their target audience by changing systems again and again. Now they are finally on the safe ship that is PS3, and people are asking for them to repeat the same mistakes?

I disagree. Everything is moving to either Sony based platforms or mobile.
They know this gen that their fans are on Playstation

Bamco thought that and proceeded to receive the worst Tales sales ever on PS Vita.

I'm sure sales of the PS4 will be a huge factor, though. Playstation is the only horse in this race in Japan on consoles, so it's really a no brainer.

No brainer you say. The only pattern I see is that console system and software sales are falling off the cliff since PS2. After Wii got no more software PS3 became the undisputed console target, but it's a far cry from what PS2 enjoyed. PS4 is a costly incompatible successor splitting an already shrinking market, it taking over the place of PS3 is as possible as console gaming becoming a complete non-factor in Japan as soon as PS3 no longer sells.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Bamco thought that and proceeded to receive the worst Tales sales ever on PS Vita.

The Vita was not received well in sales at all. While we can't say the same for the PS4 in Japan, we can safely say that it'll do much better. The fact remains that they supported Sony's platforms much better. Whether it was a good decision or not only affects the continued support for the said platform. Not really the entire product line at Sony's disposal.

Soriku

The point isn't how hard or easy the bosses are regardless, it's the fact that it goes against the battle system design of comboing your enemies with you and your party members. It's not so bad on Normal but on Hard or Unknown, it's just tedious and makes you have to play in a reserved fashion for EVERY BOSS instead of going all out. I don't mind some bosses having that but it pretty much applied to all of them.

Like on harder difficulties, it just felt like bad design to have to spam Demon Fist or Jude's teleport to have to get past some bosses instead of locking them down with spells or something and going for elemental weaknesses like previous entries.

Your experience seems different from mine because on Hard I had no trouble going all out all the time. Even with regards to the tougher battles like Gaius at Fezebel Marsh and Presa+Agria before the Temporal Rift, I never had to play defensively. If anything that just prolongs your eventual death.

If you get Resurrection on Elize, and Leia if you use her as well, playing defensively seems foolish to me. Combine this with Revive and Leia's item skills, and...yeah.

People sometimes joke about just spamming Jude's Demon Fist, yet I found that leaves you too open and you'll achieve higher DPS by using a variety of attacks.

With a PS4 they can hype up improved visuals and performance in addition to more content, get people migrating to the PS4 for something in 2016 or so with a smaller project, and if they were to release it outside of Japan it'd be a lot more enticing than being asked to pay full price for a PS3 rerelease/sequel of a PS3 game in 2016 or whenever we'd get it, so I think it has more going for it in terms of marketing and future planning. An Xillia 2-style sequel for PS3 might sell ok, and they have an audience that will buy pretty much anything Tales related that could propel a PS3 DC into at least the 100K range like Destiny DC, though so I can see why they're more of a "sure bet".

I agree with Kayos that they might try releasing something for both and the PS4 version is just the PS3 version at a higher resolution and better framerate. Maybe they could get Sony to help them out if necessary just to fill in something remotely appealing to Japanese audiences on the PS4 to boost their 2015 lineup.

Based on what Baba said in the past, it's more like they wait for the Tales fanbase to move on on its own rather than encouraging them. If they believe the Tales fanbase is still on PS3 for a while, I don't see them moving to PS4 anytime soon. Though I'd be surprised if they have another original mothership Tales for PS3 in the works after Zestiria (ie. not Zestiria 2).

If they had plans for Zesitria PS4 at the same time as PS3, it seems more likely they'd announce the games at the same time. I mean they even announced Zestiria's localization on the PS3.

And whenever people mention the possibility of Sony helping port games like Zestiria or Persona 5 or whatever, it just seems like wishful thinking, and it's probably unlikely.

a745

Official site updated today with some old info, plus new voice samples.

Also Slay's official name is "Slay" according to the site. Other characters don't have proper names yet.

RQeWlCl.jpg

... I wonder if they'll keep that for localization...

a745

So apparently they removed the name from the official site. Does that mean it was wrong or something...?

Fisico

So apparently they removed the name from the official site. Does that mean it was wrong or something...?

Probably the US Branch saw that and told them it was unnecessary since they haven't decided the protagonist's name yet for the Western release.

Unless the romanized name is used in some way in Japan (?)

raven777

new character "Edna" shown this week. Character drawn by Iwamoto Minoru, and voiced by Misato Fukuen.

I like the character design in the illustration. Not sure about the ingame character model yet. Have to see more/bigger pictures to judge.

Soriku

Huh...I really like her design. Her outfit is a bit similar to Leia's.

She's one of the Heavenly Beings or whatever like Mikulio and fights with a parasol. She doesn't trust people easily and hates humans, and makes people anxious with her words.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
I sort of like her design? Even though it reminds me a lot of Marta. If she uses umbrellas to fight though then that's cool, better than your generic sword user.

a745

new character "Edna" shown this week. Character drawn by Iwamoto Minoru, and voiced by Misato Fukuen.

I like the character design in the illustration. Not sure about the ingame character model yet. Have to see more/bigger pictures to judge.

This is becoming more and more a "Tales of Valvrave" as they reveal new characters.

She reminds me too much of a Marta x Kanonno hybrid.

Pooya

wouldn't it be problematic if half of your party can't see the other half? how do they coordinate during battles? this matterz.

Soriku

wouldn't it be problematic if half of your party can't see the other half? how do they coordinate during battles? this matterz.

They'll probably be visible at some point lol. Still, I'd like to see them stay invisible for a good period of time. Actually it'd be kind of interesting if they suddenly became visible like way later in the game, and they'd kind of have a "rereveal" of sorts to the human characters, but I don't expect that to happen.

So far we have two human characters and two Heavenly Being characters. I think we may get two and two again for the final cast, so 8 characters in total, and two characters per designer.

Fisico

I think all the casts so far are VAs from Valvrave.

Ah seems like it, the two girls are minor characters though so a mere coincidence, I would worry if we see that the next girl is voiced by either Tomatsu Haruka and/or Seto Hasami (
they haven't voiced a Tales character yet
)

a745

Hum why is that ? (I did saw Vulvrap... hum Valvrave)

Sounds like a tsundere anyway.

What raven777 said.

L-Elf -> Ryohei Kimura -> Slay
Haruto -> Ryota Osaka -> Mikulio
Pino/Sakurai -> Ai Kayano -> Alicia
Marie -> Misato Fukuen -> Edna

Bamco if we don't get T.M. Revolution x Nana Mizuki (or at least one of them) for the opening song, I will be disappointed.

I had to look her up.

Kanonno_in_TotW-RM2.jpg

Oh, Radiant Mythology 2 protag.

Actually, more like Radiant Mythology 1-3's protags:

A5rXrQK.jpg

But then again, she was designed by Iwamoto, so... :|.

kewlmyc

What raven777 said.

L-Elf -> Ryohei Kimura -> Slay
Haruto -> Ryota Osaka -> Mikulio
Pino/Sakurai -> Ai Kayano -> Alicia
Marie -> Misato Fukuen -> Edna

Heh, I thought I was the only one who noticed this. Hope the cast is more likable than Valvarave though.

Not really overly impressed with the cast so far. They all seem overly young. Not really a bad thing, but seems like a step backwards after Vesperia and Xillia.

a745

Heh, I thought I was the only one who noticed this. Hope the cast is more likable than Valvarave though.

The Japanese blogs are all the rave about it. Almost every post I see about it comments on this.

Valvrave DLC costumes here we come.

kewlmyc

The Japanese blogs are all the rave about it. Almost every post I see about it comments on this.

Valvrave DLC costumes here we come.

Would make sense, but suck at the same time. Unlike Star Driver and Code Geass, what memorable costumes does Valvrave even have? Also I didn't think Valvrave did that well in Japan. BD sales were rather mediocre.

RPGCrazied

Looks like she will be the mean/rude one, lol

I really want to know more about the battle systems in this one, since it looks vastly different than other Tales games.

demidar

I don't know what to make of Edna, her design seems simple by comparison to the others. Also those are some huge ass boots.

Proven

Huh...I really like her design. Her outfit is a bit similar to Leia's.

She's one of the Heavenly Beings or whatever like Mikulio and fights with a parasol. She doesn't trust people easily and hates humans, and makes people anxious with her words.
Must try her.

Actually, more like Radiant Mythology 1-3's protags:

A5rXrQK.jpg

Something about this picture gives me the creeps.

Fisico

Would make sense, but suck at the same time. Unlike Star Driver and Code Geass, what memorable costumes does Valvrave even have? Also I didn't think Valvrave did that well in Japan. BD sales were rather mediocre.

Star Driver
wasn't a "huge" success either (and a giant snoozefest on top of that), and I wouldn't say Valvrave's sales were mediocre, average at best maybe.

As for remarkable costumes ermmm maybe this one =>
pino-linearth5scf.png

If they're going with a 4 set costumes, Slay could have the dorsia outfit, Mikulio the male student costume, Alicia the weird one above and Edna the female student costume.

But yeah, they'd be better with another very successful anime like Kyojin if they want to sell DLC.

Datschge

All four character designs so far look typical for each respective designer, and in Iwamoto's case we didn't even have many previous works to compare with. I really hope we get some surprising designs instead more comfort zone stuff. (And this is yet another design that to me just doesn't look as good in-game.)

FSLink

Banned
Neat that she's an Earth elemental user, we don't have many of those in the Tales series.

She does look a lot like Kanonno but she's one of my favorite designs in the series anyway so that's fine in my book.

Soriku

All four character designs so far look typical for each respective designer, and in Iwamoto's case we didn't even have many previous works to compare with. I really hope we get some surprising designs instead more comfort zone stuff. (And this is yet another design that to me just doesn't look as good in-game.)

For Edna, I think her modeling is fine, but I also think Namco needs to add more detail to the faces and give them a softer look.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom