• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Zestiria announced for PS3 [announced worldwide]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rpgmonkey

At Famitsu.com sizes and resolutions a lot of things will look good. :p

It still looks tolerable, but I think some of Xillia's biggest visual flaws are much more apparent in the actual games and in HD screenshots than the ones that most of these sites seem to use, and Zestiria doesn't look like it's going to be any different. That said, outside of everyone's skin still looking perfect to the point that it's kinda distracting, the clothing textures seem less bland and flat than Xillia's, a nice improvement to the style even if I'd still want a fully cel-shaded style.

Good to see the somewhat customization clothing of Xillia 2 remains, and I'm kinda amused that it seems like they just took the treasure chests they made for Xillia and touched them up a little. Makes me hope they show more monsters soon, I'm kinda expecting disappointment in the form of the usual generic tadpoles, plant things, golems, and turtles, but the trailer gives me hope. :(

l_530457fc83f9e1xusw.jpg

Reminds me a little of Hubert 's outfit.

And yeah the graphics is totally upgraded from Xillia.

Proven

Racism against a race humans can't even see? That would be dumb as hell.

"We must kill the wraiths before they get to us in our sleep!"

I'd actually be surprised if there's a lot of them and the humans don't look to hunt them down with special technology or magic.

Labadal

I didn't mind Hubert's design, so this is okay. Better than the other two revealed.

Edit: something tells me he will becom visible very early in the game.

Shun

Since it's a Tales game, there's no doubt there will probably be an instance of cross dressing and Miclio seems like the victim for the series.

original.jpg

I do enjoy his design though, I wonder where they'll take the game and I hope this would eventually lead to a Nintendo Tales game.

Thoraxes

Since it's a Tales game, there's no doubt there will probably be an instance of cross dressing and Miclio seems like the victim for the series.

original.jpg

I do enjoy his design though, I wonder where they'll take the game and I hope this would eventually lead to a Nintendo Tales game.

You mean platform exclusive? Symphonia, Abyss, and Graces were all on Nintendo platforms; 2/3 as the first iterations.

Also yes please.

RalchAC

Boss fight design and balance is pretty bad. And lack of end-game content. It's still pretty fun despite that but it definitely has issues outside of just the asset reuse.

Boss fights are terrible in Xillia. The "!" that appears when you hit them more than 5 seconds it's one of the worst mechanics I've seen in a Tales game. In Graces they could break your combos, but you have the auras and chainning the A Artes with the shortest gap between attacks could guarantee you a decent 10-15 hits combo.

Other thing I don't understand is why newer entries don't have Vesperia strategy system. Saving diferent strategies and being able to change between them just pressing LT was faster and more comfortable than changing every parameter manually.

BTW, the AA in those new pics looks good :)

Proven

original.jpg

I just can't unsee the face as anything but male...

Soriku

At Famitsu.com sizes and resolutions a lot of things will look good. :p

Famitsu shots are usually compressed to hell, though these shots look good so maybe they've improved? The shot of Mikulio's face is pretty sharp.

Yeah a new Nintendo Tales game for 3DS or Wii U. No ports, a brand new story or even a sequel.

Yeah the odds of this are pretty much zero.

Boss fights are terrible in Xillia. The "!" that appears when you hit them more than 5 seconds it's one of the worst mechanics I've seen in a Tales game. In Graces they could break your combos, but you have the auras and chainning the A Artes with the shortest gap between attacks could guarantee you a decent 10-15 hits combo.

I don't think the bosses are terrible just because they can break out. You can still stagger them for a bit and there are a lot of fun fights regardless.

Dugna

Dunno why but since I'm getting a PS4 soon I hope Sony helps Bandai Namco and Atlus in making some PS4 versions of these RPGS. Also new guy looks nice especially the cross dressing lol

Datschge

Are you expecting anything else for PS3 beyond Zestiria?

I'm expecting them to take their sweet time before making a first move on the barely launched PS4. If not another new entry we may still see a Zestiria DC/2, another port and/or Fandom 3 for PS3.

Fisico

I need gameplay footage >.>

You'll have to wait a few months then

I'm expecting them to take their sweet time before making a first move on the barely launched PS4. If not another new entry we may still see a Zestiria DC/2, another port and/or Fandom 3 for PS3.

I think it would make more sense to make an eventual Zestiria DC on PS4 if it's a 2015 release, I do agree with the Fandom V3 (the previous ones were also late gen) but the biggest unknown remains the hardware which will receive Radiant Mythology 4.

RalchAC

I don't think the bosses are terrible just because they can break out. You can still stagger them for a bit and there are a lot of fun fights regardless.

But that break out is forced. Your skill doesn't matter, it's just land 10 hits, backstep, wait, repeat.

In Graces they could break out your combos but you have tools to avoid them breaking your combos. I found it a lot more satisfying.

There are fun fights, but that was a design choice I didn't like at all. It felt a litte cheap to me.

Soriku

But that break out is forced. Your skill doesn't matter, it's just land 10 hits, backstep, wait, repeat.

In Graces they could break out your combos but you have tools to avoid them breaking your combos. I found it a lot more satisfying.

There are fun fights, but that was a design choice I didn't like at all. It felt a litte cheap to me.

I'm probably in the minority here but it really didn't bother me that much for some reason.

Hell the bosses weren't even that hard even though they could break out.

FSLink

Banned
I'm probably in the minority here but it really didn't bother me that much for some reason.

Hell the bosses weren't even that hard even though they could break out.

The point isn't how hard or easy the bosses are regardless, it's the fact that it goes against the battle system design of comboing your enemies with you and your party members. It's not so bad on Normal but on Hard or Unknown, it's just tedious and makes you have to play in a reserved fashion for EVERY BOSS instead of going all out. I don't mind some bosses having that but it pretty much applied to all of them.

Like on harder difficulties, it just felt like bad design to have to spam Demon Fist or Jude's teleport to have to get past some bosses instead of locking them down with spells or something and going for elemental weaknesses like previous entries.

Coxy

actually it does, there are various ways around each bosses ! move that involve using a variety of characters and skills, you can get through quite a few, the Chimeriad's in particular, by using milla's skill Elemental Armor and then using the appropriate elemental skill, you can then absorb their attack as you continue your combo.

I mean I'd agree Graces combat was better but I'd put xillia way above Vesperia/abyss/symphonia etc

FSLink

Banned
actually it does, there are various ways around each bosses ! move that involve using a variety of characters and skills, you can get through quite a few, the Chimeriad's in particular, by using milla's skill Elemental Armor and then using the appropriate elemental skill, you can then absorb their attack as you continue your combo.

I mean I'd agree Graces combat was better but I'd put xillia way above Vesperia/abyss/symphonia etc

You mean that skill that you get on the 2nd Lilial Orb? You're not going to be able to do that strategy in particular outside of mid-late game or New Game Plus.

I find Xillia's combat one of the better in the series but it just had some weird decisions like that. The having specific strategies is a neat idea for bosses and definitely more interesting than Vesperia's Overlimit spam but they went a bit overboard.

demidar

You mean that skill that you get on the 2nd Lilial Orb? You're not going to be able to do that strategy in particular outside of mid-late game or New Game Plus.

I find Xillia's combat one of the better in the series but it just had some weird decisions like that. The having specific strategies is a neat idea for bosses and definitely more interesting than Vesperia's Overlimit spam but they went a bit overboard.

I agree. Those breakouts undermine the combat design of the game, you are punished for being good and chaining attacks together. It's a lazy way to prevent stunlocking. Even a sudden escape without a counterattack would be better.

FSLink

Banned
I agree. Those breakouts undermine the combat design of the game, you are punished for being good and chaining attacks together. It's a lazy way to prevent stunlocking. Even a sudden escape without a counterattack would be better.

It's slightly better in Xillia 2 since there's ways due to the weakness system to keep them in stun longer.

Vesperia probably has the best bosses in the series out of the 3D games, they just needed to rebalance Overlimit a bit, haha. It's still fun in a broken overpowered way. Plus the Secret Mission stuff is a good idea, just needed a boss mode after you beat the game so you don't have to OCD through the game with a guide. :/

demidar

It's slightly better in Xillia 2 since there's ways due to the weakness system to keep them in stun longer.

Vesperia probably has the best bosses in the series out of the 3D games, they just needed to rebalance Overlimit a bit, haha. It's still fun in a broken overpowered way. Plus the Secret Mission stuff is a good idea, just needed a boss mode after you beat the game so you don't have to OCD through the game with a guide. :/

Knocking Zagi off the ship is my bane.

RalchAC

Exactly. Switching character in the midle of the battle was really good and I liked a lot the spicific advantages you unlock by linking your character with different party members. But the breakouts and the lack of strategy shortcuts hurted the game a lot.

FSLink

Banned
Exactly. Switching character in the midle of the battle was really good and I liked a lot the spicific advantages you unlock by linking your character with different party members. But the breakouts and the lack of strategy shortcuts hurted the game a lot.

Since you care about that sort of thing, you get some quick link shortcuts in Xillia 2 if you tap towards your linked partner so you can tell them to pincer the enemy or to do their own thing and such. Quite useful so your healer doesn't stick around anymore but you can still get the link effects.

RalchAC

Since you care about that sort of thing, you get some quick link shortcuts in Xillia 2 if you tap towards your linked partner so you can tell them to pincer the enemy or to do their own thing and such. Quite useful so your healer doesn't stick around anymore but you can still get the link effects.

That sounds quite nice :)

I care about it (kinda) because I don't think it's a hard feature to implement, and it surprises me how 3 mothership entries later (Graces, Xillia, Xillia 2) they haven't established it as a standard.

In Xillia or Graces it's not that hard to change the manually to "defend" and "run away" when, for example, a boss goes overlimit. But I'm a forgetful guy so it sure will help me xD

Datschge

I think it would make more sense to make an eventual Zestiria DC on PS4 if it's a 2015 release

Without any prior PS4 game that'd be too much effort involved for a DC (by definition a cheap cash in), not going to happen (also doubt that PS4's active install base already rivals that of PS3 by 2015).

but the biggest unknown remains the hardware which will receive Radiant Mythology 4.

There won't be a RM4. With producer Ohdate (who handled nearly all spin offs) gone mobile even any more spin offs on console/handhelds are doubtful.

Zafir

Yeah, I've missed the strategy selecting. I always found it useful just because it meant I didn't have to keep going into the strategy to change options depending on what fight it is. For example, I always set TP usage quite low on random mobs so they aren't just wasting it all on pointless fights. Bosses/Sword Dancer, quickly swapping to the defence strategy was always useful for when they go into over limit too.

Fisico

Without any prior PS4 game that'd be too much effort involved for a DC (by definition a cheap cash in), not going to happen (also doubt that PS4's active install base already rivals that of PS3 by 2015).

Well Vesperia was their first PS3 game and PS3 had a reputation of not being easy to handle for developers, PS4 looks like the exact opposite and I think it would be better to bring some port/DC game before bringing the next mothership in 2016.
Of course the install base of PS4 will be inferior by far but I don't really see your point here, what matters is the active install base and we have no idea of where will the PS3 and PS4 be by the end of 2015.

There won't be a RM4. With producer Ohdate (who handled nearly all spin offs) gone mobile even any more spin offs on console/handhelds are doubtful.

Oh ok didn't know that, not surprising though.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death

I wouldn't be surprised if they released it for both PS3 and PS4 actually.

Datschge

Well Vesperia was their first PS3 game and PS3 had a reputation of not being easy to handle for developers, PS4 looks like the exact opposite and I think it would be better to bring some port/DC game before bringing the next mothership in 2016.

Not comparable imo, Xbox360 and PS3 are the same generation, PS3 and PS4 aren't. Vesperia was released on each system nearly 3 years after their respective launch. PS4 was launching today in Japan.

Of course the install base of PS4 will be inferior by far but I don't really see your point here, what matters is the active install base and we have no idea of where will the PS3 and PS4 be by the end of 2015.

I know active install base matters, which is exactly why I wrote active install base. No way PS4 will be surpassing PS3 within two years in that. It took ages until PS3 had even sales comparable to PS2 in Japan, nevermind surpassing them, what makes you think PS4 will do much better in that regard?

Rpgmonkey

With a PS4 they can hype up improved visuals and performance in addition to more content, get people migrating to the PS4 for something in 2016 or so with a smaller project, and if they were to release it outside of Japan it'd be a lot more enticing than being asked to pay full price for a PS3 rerelease/sequel of a PS3 game in 2016 or whenever we'd get it, so I think it has more going for it in terms of marketing and future planning. An Xillia 2-style sequel for PS3 might sell ok, and they have an audience that will buy pretty much anything Tales related that could propel a PS3 DC into at least the 100K range like Destiny DC, though so I can see why they're more of a "sure bet".

I agree with Kayos that they might try releasing something for both and the PS4 version is just the PS3 version at a higher resolution and better framerate. Maybe they could get Sony to help them out if necessary just to fill in something remotely appealing to Japanese audiences on the PS4 to boost their 2015 lineup.

Datschge

Keep in mind this is the publisher which waited 3 years into last gen before starting putting any Tales games on them. That turned out to be a huge mess until they finally settled for the system that currently enjoys the vast majority of console software sales in Japan. You seriously think they'll jump faster this gen, having made that experience?

With a PS4 they can hype up improved visuals and performance in addition to more content, get people migrating to the PS4 for something in 2016 or so with a smaller project

Are you sure you are talking about Tales game?

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Keep in mind this is the publisher which waited 3 years into last gen before starting putting any Tales games on them. That turned out to be a huge mess until they finally settled for the system that currently enjoys the vast majority of console software sales in Japan. You seriously think they'll jump faster this gen, having made that experience?

Are you sure you are talking about Tales game?

The jump between the PS2 and the 360 was larger than the PS3 is to the PS4 in terms of actually developing for them. Initially.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom