• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

True Detective - McConaughey/Harrelson crime series - S2 starts June 21st

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iceman

Rust's cynicism is born out of the despair over his daughter's death and subsequently broken family. He didn't decide that life is intrinsically meaningless on his own, it was a coping mechanism to deal with his trauma. His arc in the show is about confronting and exorcising that fact.

(whoops - should the following be spoilers?)

Further, his whole turnaround is setup in an earlier episode when he's talking to the modern day detectives (Papiniak and the other guy), and tells them what he learned from looking at the faces of the hundreds of old (unsolved?) murder cases. He said ...

"You look in their eyes… even in a picture. Doesn’t matter if they’re dead or alive. You can still read ‘em. And you know what you see? They welcomed it. Not at first, but right there in the last instant. It’s an unmistakable relief. See, ’cause they were afraid, and now they saw, for the very first time, how easy it was to just let go. And they saw in that last nanosecond, they saw… what they were. A ‘you’, ‘yourself’, this whole big drama, it was never anything but a Jerry-rig of presumption and dumb will. And you could just let go. Finally know that you didn’t have to hold on so tight."

did you know there was a rustcohle.com? (http://rustcohle.com/rust-cohle-quote-look-eyes/)

To him, those weeks of staring into the eyes of the dead affirmed his (coping) stance that life is a mistake, and bringing new people to life is cruelty.

But when he came face to face with death himself, what he saw/felt, or more accurately, allowed himself to see/feel, gave him a hope beyond what could be explained by his nihilistic construct - or a kind of hope that was so personal to him that he would not allow his philosophies to deconstruct what he experienced. It was like seeing a mirage of a faint trace of a sliver of a rising sun on the horizon after a long, sleepless existence in pure darkness. It awakened something deep and buried within him, something that we can only speculate existed before the death, and maybe even the birth, of his daughter.

big ander

(whoops - should the following be spoilers?)

Further, his whole turnaround is setup in an earlier episode when he's talking to the modern day detectives (Papiniak and the other guy), and tells them what he learned from looking at the faces of the hundreds of old (unsolved?) murder cases. He said ...

"You look in their eyes… even in a picture. Doesn’t matter if they’re dead or alive. You can still read ‘em. And you know what you see? They welcomed it. Not at first, but right there in the last instant. It’s an unmistakable relief. See, ’cause they were afraid, and now they saw, for the very first time, how easy it was to just let go. And they saw in that last nanosecond, they saw… what they were. A ‘you’, ‘yourself’, this whole big drama, it was never anything but a Jerry-rig of presumption and dumb will. And you could just let go. Finally know that you didn’t have to hold on so tight."

did you know there was a rustcohle.com? (http://rustcohle.com/rust-cohle-quote-look-eyes/)

To him, those weeks of staring into the eyes of the dead affirmed his (coping) stance that life is a mistake, and bringing new people to life is cruelty.

But when he came face to face with death himself, what he saw/felt, or more accurately, allowed himself to see/feel, gave him a hope beyond what could be explained by his nihilistic construct - or a kind of hope that was so personal to him that he would not allow his philosophies to deconstruct what he experienced. It was like seeing a mirage of a faint trace of a sliver of a rising sun on the horizon after a long, sleepless existence in pure darkness. It awakened something deep and buried within him, something that we can only speculate existed before the death, and maybe even the birth, of his daughter.

Best way of putting it that I've read so far, great post.

See, I can't understand this. For me it's the exact opposite. I usually roll my eyes when people toss around "deus ex machina" but here I think it perfectly expresses my issues with the conclusion and sudden character shift: A near-death heaven-vision appears out of thin air to wholly alter the worldview of the most fleshed out, convincingly realistic cynic I've experienced in a piece of fiction. It (imo) betrayed his character and and in a way invalidated his previous actions/beliefs. Just didn't sit right. I mean, hey if that's the arc they were going for, fine... but it felt false.

There were plenty of small hints throughout the series that Rust's nihilism was a facade to hide his true self. The ending did not come out of nowhere.

BTM

Just finished watching the entire season over the last week or so and damn what a show it was. Two leads were absolutely phenomenal and I was gripped the entire way. Things really seemed to pick up around episode 4/5.

Excited to see what they're cooking up for season two.

nawwafh

i may need to rewatch this.. because i really don't get what every1 is raving on about..
Performances were spectacular .. rest was just plain average.. in terms of story..

TheOddOne

- Vulture: Nic Pizzolatto ‘Can’t Imagine’ More Than 3 Seasons of True Detective
True Detective creator Nic Pizzolatto is hard at work writing season two, but don't get too excited for years and years more of the show. He says three is about all he can handle. "Every season, I'm essentially creating a brand-new TV show," he told reporters at the Banff World Media Festival. He went on,

It can't have any growing pains like a regular first season. If it works it has to work right out of the box. That's incredibly exhausting. I mean, the job is exhausting to begin with, but it's doubly exhausting and I'm writing every episode. I can't imagine I would do this more than three years. I mean, I'd like to have a regular TV show. We'll have some fixed sets, regular actors and I could bring in people to help and I don' t have to be there every second. It'd be great.

Dave_6

The end of episode 3 gave me full body chills :O Made it to episode 5 last night and it keeps getting better and better.

big ander

Simple: it goes over to another writer/showrunner. Not like pizza's the only guy out qualified to write a limited series. I'd actually love it if the series continued on past Pizzolatto. He'd maybe get to wow us with a traditional series and TD would get to rotate not just its cast each season, but its lead creative forces. An anthology over seasons.

:(

Simple: it goes over to another writer/showrunner. Not like pizza's the only guy out qualified to write a limited series. I'd actually love it if the series continued on past Pizzolatto. He'd maybe get to wow us with a traditional series and TD would get to not rotate not just its cast each season, but its lead creative forces. An anthology over seasons.

I am okay with this. Noah Hawley's doing great with Fargo, so they can easily find somebody as good as Hawley or Pizzolato to keep doing it

Alpende

Not every show has to span 5 to 8 seasons guys. Sometimes it benefits a show to have 3 strong season instead of 3 strong ones and 2 mediocre ones.

kirblar

I like that he's only willing to do as many seasons as he has ideas for. Saves us all from having to put up with mediocre cash grabs.

I'd be totally cool with handing the series off to a different solo writer (BKV pls?) if they found someone who had a story idea that could work in the established framework they've created.

It's not as much a question of how many seasons of True Detective there will be, as how many seasons will Pizz write before handing off the series to someone else.

Wouldn't be surprised if True Detective goes on for a very, very long time. HBO doesn't have to crank out a season every year, but they'll always have the franchise to go back to. Hell they could turn certain series pitches into True Detective seasons to boost the visibility of those projects. This thing isn't going anywhere.

Gila

I bought the Blu on a whim seeing the praise it's getting. Binged it in one sitting.

Fucking fantastic. God damn I love watching top-tier television.

Just finished the first season over three days, I watched the first ep was thought it was pretty average stuff, boring enough. every ep after that was amazing, some truly great tv.

One minor thing that bothered me was that never say the year fully, like every character just says '95, '02, '97 every single time. They also talk about past events in the future like it happened yesterday, no sitting around trying to remember what happened.. but I guess that wouldn't make good tv.

big ander

Just finished the first season over three days, I watched the first ep was thought it was pretty average stuff, boring enough. every ep after that was amazing, some truly great tv.

One minor thing that bothered me was that never say the year fully, like every character just says '95, '02, '97 every single time. They also talk about past events in the future like it happened yesterday, no sitting around trying to remember what happened.. but I guess that wouldn't make good tv.
What's wrong with saying years like that? That's how most people say years. No one's going to mistake '02 for 1702 or '95 for 1495.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Dexter was never that good tho.
First 4 seasons were great. It went severely downhill after that.

exactly, plus it was serial so the repetition and illogic and lack of growth between seasons built up continually. with td you get a clean slate each year. completely different situation
I never compared the quality or type of shows Dexter and TD are, just reinforcing the point that 3 fantastic seasons are better than having 6 with 3 shitty ones to end it.

big ander

First 4 seasons were great. It went severely downhill after that.

I never compared the quality or type of shows Dexter and TD are, just reinforcing the point that 3 fantastic seasons are better than having 6 with 3 shitty ones to end it.

right which is what the majority of my post addresses: Dexter ran through so much hot garbage in the later seasons because it was serial. the risk isn't the same with TD because it's not continuous from season to season.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
If I could ask the Pizzalator one question, it would be: "How much shame and embarrassment do you feel when you reread Ghost Birds? Because let me tell you, I cringed on your behalf all throughout the story."

neoism

FUCK ME :O
if brad is in season two I will die :O D:
dat video....man I'd love Matt in it again, but I'm not sure about him playing another character other than Rust....

Not every show has to span 5 to 8 seasons guys. Sometimes it benefits a show to have 3 strong season instead of 3 strong ones and 2 mediocre ones.

Agreed.

The best solution might be a Larry David-type deal where he gets to bring out a new season whenever the right idea strikes.

I hope Pitt stays the fuck away from TD. And I like the guy, but he can't seem to stop serving his heroism fetish.
tumblr_lwgd6468Z01r0yq4zo1_500.gif

I'm on episode 6, and it's entertaining. A lot of it is more cliched and hackneyed than I'd expect in a critically-acclaimed show, but the cinematography, sound design, and dat scenery chewing by the lead actors are all keeping me watching. Here's hoping for a strong ending, while I avoid the rest of this thread.

I just finished this and found it to be fairly mediocre to be honest. Rust seems brilliant at first as a kind of deconstruction of a noir-gothic super detective, until you realise we were supposed to be taking his ridiculous cosmological rants seriously all along. It has the kind of Lost bait and switch where the show sets up conspiracies it can't really solve, and then abruptly transitions into (fairly poor) character resolutions.

The ending is frustrating because the show never quite figures out what it wants to be. It has pretensions so far above the b-plot "lets hunt down a hillbilly serial killer" story that when it arrives it just feels jarring. The show is stuck between Chinatown and The Wicker Man, and kind of ends up looking like one of the darker episodes of the x-files.

Even the cinematography and sound design didn't do that much for me, I never really got the Gothic vibe they were desperately searching for in the visuals.

I just finished this and found it to be fairly mediocre to be honest. Rust seems brilliant at first as a kind of deconstruction of a noir-gothic super detective, until you realise we were supposed to be taking his ridiculous cosmological rants seriously all along. It has the kind of Lost bait and switch where the show sets up conspiracies it can't really solve, and then abruptly transitions into (fairly poor) character resolutions.

The ending is frustrating because the show never quite figures out what it wants to be. It has pretensions so far above the b-plot "lets hunt down a hillbilly serial killer" story that when it arrives it just feels jarring. The show is stuck between Chinatown and The Wicker Man, and kind of ends up looking like one of the darker episodes of the x-files.

Even the cinematography and sound design didn't do that much for me, I never really got the Gothic vibe they were desperately searching for in the visuals.

Lol.

Can't please everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom