• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WaPo: Texas AG sued to keep Bible verse, now complaining about Muslim students prayer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tripon

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ayer-room-for-muslims/?utm_term=.e9451cd4a777

Every day at lunch, a handful of teenagers in Frisco, Tex., would pop into room C112, face a whiteboard and kneel for one of their five daily prayers.

It was just a spare classroom, used for everything from teachers’ grading to Buddhist meditation, school officials say. But Muslims at Liberty High seemed to like it.

“Takes like five minutes, instead of having to leave school, get in a car and go to my parents,” junior Sarah Qureshi told the school news site early this month.

“This is the seventh year we’ve been doing this, and we’ve never had one issue,” school principal Scott Warstler said.

“It appears that the prayer room is ‘dedicated to the religious needs of some students,’” a deputy attorney general wrote in the letter, quoting an article written by an 11th grade student, “namely, those who practice Islam.”

In a news release the same day, the attorney general’s office went further: “Recent news reports have indicated that the high school’s prayer room is … apparently excluding students of other faiths,” the release said.

Paxton attracted national attention last December when he waded into a dispute in Killeen, Tex., between a middle school principal and a nurse’s aide who put up a six-foot poster in the school with a quote from the classic animation special “A Charlie Brown Christmas” that read: “For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Savior which is Christ the Lord.”

After the principal told the aide to take the poster down, Paxton wrote to the Killeen school district: “These concerns are not surprising in an age of frivolous litigation by anti-Christian interest groups … Rescind this unlawful policy.”

When the school district refused, Paxton helped the nurse’s aid sue, and won.

Regardless, he [The Principal] said, the room would be open for prayer as usual come lunchtime Monday — as it has for many years.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
"Anti Christian Interest Groups"

Little known fact, but Soros, Gates, Buffet, DJ Jazzy Jeff, the Sultan of Brunei and Comet Ping Pong Industrial Concern LLC have contributed almost 18% of the entire world GDP, to anti-Chrtistian Interest Groups. The rest of their money comes from the fish and bread industries who're terrified of an infinite Jesus lunch monopoly. Some funds also came from Franzia Boxed Wine Inc., for similar reasons.

So a letter was sent asking the school to clear up if the room was accessible to all students. If that is the case, I don't see any action being taken. If that is not the case, they should change that. I don't get the issue here.

Oh hey, this is my cousins old high school. Yeah, they shouldn't be allowed to exclude students of other faiths, but if they aren't doing that, the AG needs to fuck off.

sazzy

The AG letter doesn't seem to have a problem with religious use of that classroom but rather that it's a prayer room for Muslims only.

Tripon

The AG letter doesn't seem to have a problem with religious use of that classroom but rather that it's a prayer room for Muslims only.

Oh hey, this is my cousins old high school. Yeah, they shouldn't be allowed to exclude students of other faiths, but if they aren't doing that, the AG needs to fuck off.

The full article says the room is not exclusively used as a prayer room for Muslims students.

It's the 2nd sentence in the OP.

Do people just not read the OP?

Link

The Autumn Wind
For some, 'Freedom of Religion' is 'Freedom of Christian Religion.'
Some? Pretty much every loudmouth screaming about "freedom of religion" really just means Christianity.

Because it's fucking not. Damn, is it that hard to read?

suzu

I read it. Not sure why you're quoting me. I'm just reiterating that it's also basically repeated twice in the full article. :p

In a news release the same day, the attorney general's office went further: ”Recent news reports have indicated that the high school's prayer room is ... apparently excluding students of other faiths," the release said.

That would be a constitutional violation, the Texas AG's office noted.

And totally untrue, according to Frisco Independent School District officials, who say state officials didn't even ask them about the prayers before the letter ended up in Texas Gov. Greg Abbott's tweet.

Cyan

Banned
Wait, wait. Hang on. Time out.

Paxton attracted national attention last December when he waded into a dispute in Killeen, Tex., between a middle school principal and a nurse’s aide who put up a six-foot poster in the school with a quote from the classic animation special “A Charlie Brown Christmas” that read: “For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Savior which is Christ the Lord.”
Dude. Dude.

Paxton attracted national attention last December when he waded into a dispute in Killeen, Tex., between a middle school principal and a nurse's aide who put up a six-foot poster in the school with a quote from the classic animation special ”A Charlie Brown Christmas" that read: ”For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Savior which is Christ the Lord."

Dude. Dude.

Seriously.

Wut.

Like, seriously?

This is the quality of writing/"research" from the Washington Post?

Also, just to remove any doubt:
Luke 2:11 (KJV)

Oh you just need to slow your butt down and learn to read properly. It's not a long article that OP quoted.

I read the article. You're missing the point I am making. AG says the room is excluding other faiths. It's not. How does that go contrary to the other case unless he didn't allow a poster with text from some other faith?

sazzy

Some? Pretty much every loudmouth screaming about "freedom of religion" really just means Christianity.

Because it's fucking not. Damn, is it that hard to read?

I read the OP, the WaPo article, and the AG letter linked in the WaPo article.

Now if you read my post carefully, you'll see I'm specifically referring to the AG letter. He seems to be under the impression that that room is exclusively being used for Muslims, which he's basing off of a letter in the school? newspaper.

edit- the OP title is clickbait, as is the WaPo headline.

Zen Aku

I read the article. You're missing the point I am making. AG says the room is excluding other faiths. It's not. How does that go contrary to the other case unless he didn't allow a poster with text from some other faith?
Your original post is a bit confusing. It read it as you agreed with the AG that the school is excluding other religions from using that room. I'm not the only one that was confused by it.

I did. The AG letter is telling a completely different story then what the article is, so someone isn't being truthful here. IF (and this is a pretty big if, because I'm willing to bet it's the AG's letter that's bullshit) they're excluding other religions, then they need to stop that.

I did. The AG letter is telling a completely different story then what the article is, so someone isn't being truthful here. IF (and this is a pretty big if, because I'm willing to bet it's the AG's letter that's bullshit) they're excluding other religions, then they need to stop that.

As long as we're measuring if the Texas AG can be trusted, he's currently under indictment for securities fraud.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

Dude. Dude.

It was a poster with Linus on it. She was quoting him from A Charlie Brown Christmas.

I'm guessing both the nurse and the newspaper knew it was also a bible verse.

1481672398-Charlie-Brown-Christmas-poster.JPG

Cyan

Banned
It was a poster with Linus on it. She was quoting him from A Charlie Brown Christmas.

I'm guessing both the nurse and the newspaper knew it was also a bible verse.

Yeah, I figured it was probably a Charlie Brown poster (that it's not even a poster at all but just her writing on brown paper is kind of hilarious). It's still weird they would attribute it to Charlie Brown, since the key point is that it's a Bible verse. No one would have cared if she'd had, like, Lucy saying "Charlie Brown you blockhead!" or whatever on her wall.

Zen Aku

Yeah, I figured it was probably a Charlie Brown poster (that it's not even a poster at all but just her writing on brown paper is kind of hilarious). It's still weird they would attribute it to Charlie Brown, since the key point is that it's a Bible verse. No one would have cared if she'd had, like, Lucy saying "Charlie Brown you blockhead!" or whatever on her wall.
To be honest, I don't think it's a big deal that there's a quote about Christmas on the door from the Bible. Just like this whole classroom usage shouldn't be an issue.

But Texas gonna Texas.

rjinaz

To be honest, I don't think it's a big deal that there's a quote about Christmas on the door from the Bible. Just like this whole classroom usage shouldn't be an issue.

But Texas gonna Texas.

I don't care that it's there either.

But I guess my response to that would be, what if the nurse was a practicing Muslim and had a quote from the Quaran on the door instead?

This administrator wouldn't have sued on her behalf, he probably would have been leading the mob with pitchforks to get her fired.

it's the hypocrisy I don't like. This Christian persecution is in their heads.

Damaniel

Banned
Seriously.

Wut.

Like, seriously?

This is the quality of writing/"research" from the Washington Post?

Also, just to remove any doubt:
Luke 2:11 (KJV)

I think they all know it's actually a bible verse - the teacher was no doubt using its presence in A Charlie Brown Christmas to circumvent the separation of church and state - he or she probably thought they were being clever that way. "It's from a cartoon so it can't *really* be only a religious statement, can it?"

Iksenpets

Banned
I went to high school in Texas, and I think our Muslim kids used some space in the library for this? Also, all hung out there at lunch during Ramadan so they didn't have to be around food. This was ten years ago without a complaint from anyone, as far as I know, at least not until our felon Attorney General caught wind of it.

Syriel

How is it hypocrisy? They say the room excludes other faiths.

So a letter was sent asking the school to clear up if the room was accessible to all students. If that is the case, I don't see any action being taken. If that is not the case, they should change that. I don't get the issue here.

Except it's not just for Muslims, and it's clear that it's not just for Muslims.

The AG was pulling the whole "Muslims only" thing out of his ass.

Guess the AG figured that if Trump could make up wiretap allegations, he could make up "Muslim only" prayer allegations.

I went to high school in Texas, and I think our Muslim kids used some space in the library for this? Also, all hung out there at lunch during Ramadan so they didn't have to be around food. This was ten years ago without a complaint from anyone, as far as I know, at least not until our felon Attorney General caught wind of it.

That's pretty much what's going on here, as the story linked in the OP makes clear.

School had students that were going off-site to pray and missing part of the school day.
School had spare rooms that are used by various groups (both religious and non-religious).
School let this group use a spare room for their prayer.
School has a policy of letting student groups of any nature (religious and non-religious) use free spaces so long as they are student led groups.
School has been doing this for seven years with no complaints.

AG heard "Muslim students are praying" and flipped his lid.

Except it's not just for Muslims, and it's clear that it's not just for Muslims.

The AG was pulling the whole "Muslims only" thing out of his ass.

Guess the AG figured that if Trump could make up wiretap allegations, he could make up "Muslim only" prayer allegations.

Yes, I am aware. What I stated was fact in that the AG believes, or is at least making the claim, the school is excluding other religions from the room.

Syriel

Yes, I am aware. What I stated was fact in that the AG believes, or is at least making the claim, the school is excluding other religions from the room.

He's making the claim, that much is obvious because the story exists, but he knows the claim is bunk. Hell, the AG even lied in his letter about previously contacting the school regarding the unnamed "reports" he received.

Just because someone in a position of power makes a wild claim (see Trump and the Obama wiretapping accusation) doesn't mean it should be taken as truth when there is zero corroborating evidence.

We can follow Occam's razor and just do what Sanders did. Call him out on the lie.

I read the OP, the WaPo article, and the AG letter linked in the WaPo article.

Now if you read my post carefully, you'll see I'm specifically referring to the AG letter. He seems to be under the impression that that room is exclusively being used for Muslims, which he's basing off of a letter in the school? newspaper.

edit- the OP title is clickbait, as is the WaPo headline.

Interesting.

The AG letter doesn't seem to have a problem with religious use of that classroom but rather that it's ALLEGEDLY a prayer room for Muslims only.

Maybe if you added that one little word folks wouldn't have taken the bait..😃

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom