• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.
Zyid said:
Super Smash attacks are still in but apparently triggered by an item (which can be seen in the original trailer), which is a good idea.

They're still in, you say? You're sure? Ha, I'm not saying they're not, but there hasn't been a peep about it since the very first trailer ever shown at E3 2006. People talk about this stuff like it's a confirmed gameplay mechanic when we really have no idea. Most of that trailer was cut-scene shots-- very little even resembled gameplay.

Man, you know what I'm as much excited about as I'm excited about the new characters ? The stages.
I thought the SSBM stages were extremely well designed and varied, so I'd like SSBB to be just as good in this department. But I also can't wait to revisit places from the best Nintendo franchises. Seriously , for example, can you only imagine what the F-Zero and Metroid stages will look like if they are inspired from courses and levels from F-Zero GX and the Metroid Prime's ? Yep, bloody awesome.
Phendrana ? Luminoth Forteress anyone ?

Firestorm

bigmakstudios said:
What new areas from the Metroid series (specifically prime 1 and 2) could become stages? Could you think of any, iyo?

Sanctuary Fortress seems to be a fan favourite as far as Metroid Prime areas go, but my favourite has always been Chozo Ruins. Hope they do something with that.

Stormbringer said:
Man, you know what I'm as much excited about as I'm excited about the new characters ? The stages.
I thought the SSBM stages were extremely well designed and varied, so I'd like SSBB to be just as good in this department. But I also can't wait to revisit places from the best Nintendo franchises. Seriously , for example, can you only imagine what the F-Zero and Metroid stages will look like if they are inspired from courses and levels from F-Zero GX and the Metroid Prime's ? Yep, bloody awesome.
Phendrana ? Luminoth Forteress anyone ?

Yeah I can't wait to learn more about the stages, though we already know a few already. However, I am concerned that they will lack variety in terms of their structure - the 2nd trailer showed numerous stages, and nearly all of them had the same three platforms.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Firestorm said:
Sanctuary Fortress seems to be a fan favourite as far as Metroid Prime areas go, but my favourite has always been Chozo Ruins. Hope they do something with that.
You're a cool dude man.

bigmakstudios said:
What new areas from the Metroid series (specifically prime 1 and 2) could become stages? Could you think of any, iyo?

Oh crap, I didn't even see that someone already mentioned the stages right before me :lol ! Well to answer that, I would say, again, Phendrana, and the Luminoth/Sanctuary Forteress. Maybe Torvus Bog.

Alkaliine said:
Yeah I can't wait to learn more about the stages, though we already know a few already. However, I am concerned that they will lack variety in terms of their structure - the 2nd trailer showed numerous stages, and nearly all of them had the same three platforms.

Yeah, I noticed that as well. I'm guessing (hoping) that they only showed the simpler stages (or maybe the prototypes) and that the more complex stages would be revealed later...Or that they just don't reveal all the content of these stages.

ant1532

Banned
Edited OP, Rehosted images since I guess there was a revolt against Imageshack this weekend or something lol...

Pit is bolded now... Fixed Mario, Link, and his pic with their new models.
FunkyMunkey said:
NOTE for OP:

The "Snake" link in the first post leads to the pic of zero suit Samus instead of Snake.

Thanks for that, fixed it right away.
Stormbringer said:
But in the end, can't we consider that it's derivated from the Starfox's Ray Gun ? I think it's a possibility.

Besides, it seems like the Gooey bomb is derivated from a Kirby character called Gooey, which apparently has the ability to set himself on fire (then detonate ?) ->

660lea1.jpg

That's definitely true. But then, how could we evaluate how much of some Nintendo nerds we are :p ?
Awesome find. Gooey bomb is definetly from this. I really do think even though things say they are from Smash they just branch off other games(pill is doc Mario, barrel is DK, and isn't there a saber in Kirby 64?)

Eteric Rice said:
The more interesting question is Solid Snake... What can they do with him for a level? :D
Damn. Where to start? Shadow Moses just outside the tank hanger (before you get inside the main facility), Big Shell on one of the catwalks, on top of ****ing Metal Gear Rex.

Eteric Rice

I'd like to see a Mario based stage where those giant concrete blocks (usually seen in Super Mario World and Yoshi's Island) are falling down, and you have to fight without being crushed. :)

Constantly dodging blocks while fighting. :D

I am pretty excited to see what they do with Snake. But I am equally so with Samus, since we've seen the series evolve tremendously since Melee.

Zeed

Banned
WastingPenguins said:
They're still in, you say? You're sure? Ha, I'm not saying they're not, but there hasn't been a peep about it since the very first trailer ever shown at E3 2006. People talk about this stuff like it's a confirmed gameplay mechanic when we really have no idea. Most of that trailer was cut-scene shots-- very little even resembled gameplay.
The trailer was using the in-game engine (though not all of it was real-time). If you look at, for instance, the part where Mario unleashes his super fireball it looks very much like real gameplay - there's certainly no way you'd confuse that with FMV. Seeing how it was featured prominently in the trailer and screenshots, and later confirmed by some interview, I'd seriously doubt that they'd remove an entire feature from the game like that. If you suspect that that was removed, you can suspect any feature shown in any trailer of being removed simply because it wasn't shown on a periodic basis.

I'd bet you a permaban on them showing up in the final game. I predict it'll be added to the "How To Play" or "Items" section eventually as a regular update.

ant1532 said:
Awesome find. Gooey bomb is definetly from this. I really do think even though things say they are from Smash they just branch off other games(pill is doc Mario, barrel is DK, and isn't there a saber in Kirby 64?)

Well, you know, I later retracted my supposition because I came to think that it could very well be a pure coincidence. All the blobs look the same after all... But I agree that some items could definitely be indirectly inspired from existing Nintendo franchises.

Jiggy

Eteric Rice said:
I'd like to see a Mario based stage where those giant concrete blocks (usually seen in Super Mario World and Yoshi's Island) are falling down, and you have to fight without being crushed. :)

Constantly dodging blocks while fighting. :D
This reminds me of what I've wanted for years as a dedicated Dr. Mario stage. >_>
You'd be fighting in a giant bottle, vitamins would fall, the virii would attack you, and the only way you could be KOed is either going up through the top of the bottle or by sending the opponent flying into the glass sides enough to break them. (Like the blocks in Mushroom Kingdom, the sides would regenerate after a while.)

Jiggy37 said:
This reminds me of what I've wanted for years as a dedicated Dr. Mario stage. >_>
You'd be fighting in a giant bottle, vitamins would fall, the virii would attack you, and the only way you could be KOed is either going up through the top of the bottle or by sending the opponent flying into the glass sides enough to break them. (Like the blocks in Mushroom Kingdom, the sides would regenerate after a while.)

OMFG. Visual in my head says that would be SWEET. Particularly if as the pills fell, they created a platform on the ground that slowly edges up. I like the glass breaking concept, but also on lesser hits bouncing upon the wall would be okay. I like this. I like it.

Zyid said:
The trailer was using the in-game engine (though not all of it was real-time). If you look at, for instance, the part where Mario unleashes his super fireball it looks very much like real gameplay - there's certainly no way you'd confuse that with FMV. Seeing how it was featured prominently in the trailer and screenshots, and later confirmed by some interview, I'd seriously doubt that they'd remove an entire feature from the game like that. If you suspect that that was removed, you can suspect any feature shown in any trailer of being removed simply because it wasn't shown on a periodic basis.

I'd bet you a permaban on them showing up in the final game. I predict it'll be added to the "How To Play" or "Items" section eventually as a regular update.

:lol You're so sure you'd bet a permanent ban? Ooookay.

I never said it won't show up in the final game because I have no idea whether it will or not-- I just said it's a little silly to say things like "Super smash attacks are still in", as someone said a couple posts up, when we really can't know for sure if Mario's big fireball attack was ever a game mechanic in the first place or just something put together for the trailer.\

Edit: And wait, wait, wait. "Later confirmed by some interview"? I'd love to see this.

Zeed

Banned
WastingPenguins said:
:lol You're so sure you'd bet a permanent ban? Ooookay.
Yep, any time you're willing to stake the same we'll get a mod in here to make it all official.

WastingPenguins said:
I just said it's a little silly to say things like "Super smash attacks are still in"
It's not silly at all. What's silly is to believe that a major feature might have been cut from a game entirely with no precedence, announcement, or any evidence other than that it hasn't been shown in the one other trailer that was released (the screenshots very specifically deal only with the feature they're unveiling).

WastingPenguins said:
Edit: And wait, wait, wait. "Later confirmed by some interview"? I'd love to see this.
I know I read it in an interview somewhere, because that's the same one where he said that the moves would be triggered by an item. Wikipedia has the same information but appears to reference the wrong interview (couldn't find it in the one they linked). It's probably somewhere in this beast of a thread:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=99757

Feel free to look around in there if you'd like. It's an entertaining read either way.

JDSN said:
According to the guys form Go.Nintendo, the Gooey bomb may be a reference to the Cho aniki series. (A.K.A Japanese shooter with the gay guys)

http://**********.com/?p=18602
Hate to say it, but there's a reason that site is filtered.

Nicktals

Banned
There is an update tonight, right? I'm up this late doing work, may as well wait if there is indeed one coming within the next hour or so.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Nicktals said:
There is an update tonight, right? I'm up this late doing work, may as well wait if there is indeed one coming within the next hour or so.
No. It's still sunday in Japan.

There will be one tomorrow (at about midnight PST, most likely)

Zyid said:
I know I read it in an interview somewhere, because that's the same one where he said that the moves would be triggered by an item. Wikipedia has the same information but appears to reference the wrong interview (couldn't find it in the one they linked). It's probably somewhere in this beast of a thread:

I think the reason you can't find the interview is because it never happened.

I guess the reason I'm unsure about the super-attacks is because of the way Mario grabs that little Smash orb before he does it. THAT is definitely not gameplay footage-- that's straight cut-scene material. And besides, there's soooo much stuff in that trailer that may or may not be indicative of actual gameplay. For instance-- Samus blasting off her suit does not necessarily indicate whether Samus and ZS Samus are separate characters or a transformation.

Anyway, I don't know why you think I'd want to bet a permanent ban when I continually say that I have no idea whether there will be super-attacks in the game, and if there are, we have no idea how it will work. If there are, it'll probably just be an item pickup and not something tied to the core fighting system, based on that trailer. I just thought it was misleading for someone to ask, "So are those super attacks still in the game?" and for someone to answer "yep, still in!" as if there had been some new info.

Moving on.

Sharp

WastingPenguins said:

I guess the reason I'm unsure about the super-attacks is because of the way Mario grabs that little Smash orb before he does it. THAT is definitely not gameplay footage-- that's straight cut-scene material. And besides, there's soooo much stuff in that trailer that may or may not be indicative of actual gameplay. For instance-- Samus blasting off her suit does not necessarily indicate whether Samus and ZS Samus are separate characters or a transformation.

Anyway, I don't know why you think I'd want to bet a permanent ban when I continually say that I have no idea whether there will be super-attacks in the game, and if there are, we have no idea how it will work. If there are, it'll probably just be an item pickup and not something tied to the core fighting system, based on that trailer. I just thought it was misleading for someone to ask, "So are those super attacks still in the game?" and for someone to answer "yep, still in!" as if there had been some new info.

Moving on.
I'm not so sure that I'd bet a permaban on it, but I agree with Zyid--I think we've heard more about it later. It certainly doesn't seem like a feature that has been cut from the game, and we've been given no reason to believe it was cut. Online is really a much more uncertain proposition, and even that I still believe (hope?) will be in.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I hope they change it so that the super smash attacks are charged up over time, based on some formula of %dealt + %taken + KOdealt + KOtaken. Since many playgroups turn off items for the sole reason of keeping the game free of random variables, denying them this awesome feature would be unfair. Plus, giving the player control over when their special attack is released adds another strategic element to the game.

It'd feel like MvC, but that's not a bad thing is it?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Halycon said:
I hope they change it so that the super smash attacks are charged up over time, based on some formula of %dealt + %taken + KOdealt + KOtaken. Since many playgroups turn off items for the sole reason of keeping the game free of random variables, denying them this awesome feature would be unfair. Plus, giving the player control over when their special attack is released adds another strategic element to the game.

It'd feel like MvC, but that's not a bad thing is it?
Well they did say that Wario's power waft (the mushroom cloud fart seen in the 1st trailer) would build up over the course of the battle.

Chris FOM

For instance-- Samus blasting off her suit does not necessarily indicate whether Samus and ZS Samus are separate characters or a transformation.

Also wrong. Numerous sources, from Samus' profile in Nintendo Power to interviews with Sakurai have stated ZS Samus and Samus are the same character, but under certain (as yet unknown) conditions she'll transform from one to the other.

ant1532

Banned
FunkyMunkey said:
Updates occur Sunday - Thursday nights at midnight PST.
Nah, random time after 4 PM Toyko Time. There ain't no set time for updating the site. SO far it's been updated in the 2:55 AM - 5:11 AM EST range.

Eteric Rice

Chris FOM said:
Also wrong. Numerous sources, from Samus' profile in Nintendo Power to interviews with Sakurai have stated ZS Samus and Samus are the same character, but under certain (as yet unknown) conditions she'll transform from one to the other.

I'm going to bet on two possible conditions.

1. If she's damaged enough, she transforms into Zero Suit Samus.

2. After she does her super attack, she loses her normal suit.

guise

It could be pretty interesting, gameplay wise if Samus only turns into ZS samus after she hits a certain amount of damage, especially if her move set/damage dealt gets upgraded

C.T.

famitsu or shonen jump listed Samus and zero suit samus separately.

@ JDSN

the cho aniki screen was posted by a neogaf user...

Zeed

Banned
WastingPenguins said:
Whatever floats your boat, it's not like the same thing isn't listed on Wikipedia with citations.

WastingPenguins said:
I just thought it was misleading for someone to ask, "So are those super attacks still in the game?" and for someone to answer "yep, still in!" as if there had been some new info.
No, see, you're still being rediculous. That kind of bizzaro logic could be applied to any feature of any game ever. And it'd be equally dumb with all of them. Let me demonstrate:

You: HEY GUYS IS SNAKE STILL IN THE GAME? NONE OF THE SCREENSHOTS HAVE SHOWN HIM FOR A LONG TIME, MAYBE HE'S GONE!!!

Rational People: No, he's still in.

You: YOU'RE BEING SILLY WTF.

You seem to think that to reasonably assume something still exists you must see it on a strict periodic basis. That. Is. Rediculous.

Chris FOM said:

Sorry but this is wrong. The old profile on the Smash Bros. site said something like "under certain conditions Samus has lost her suit to become Zero Suit Samus!", cue wild fan speculation. There has been no confirmation whether this means it'll be a transformation ala Zelda-->Shiek, or if it is simply an explanation of who the character is-- Samus without her suit. Feel free to interpret it any way you want, but it's definitely still up in the air.

Personally I agree, a transformation seems logical. If that's the case, I'm praying you can do it at will. ZS Samus looks like an awesome character, and it would be a terrible shame if you could only play as her once you've powered up or taken damage or whatever.

What's with everyone pulling random "Sakurai said in an interview..." stuff out of the air with no way to back it up? I'm around Smash Boards quite a lot, I know what's been said in interviews and what is fan speculation, and this is definitely not confirmed either way.

Zyid said:
Whatever floats your boat, it's not like the same thing isn't listed on Wikipedia with citations.

No, see, you're still being rediculous. That kind of bizzaro logic could be applied to any feature of any game ever. And it'd be equally dumb with all of them. Let me demonstrate:

You: HEY GUYS IS SNAKE STILL IN THE GAME? NONE OF THE SCREENSHOTS HAVE SHOWN HIM FOR A LONG TIME, MAYBE HE'S GONE!!!

Rational People: No, he's still in.

You: YOU'RE BEING SILLY WTF.

You seem to think that to reasonably assume something still exists you must see it on a strict periodic basis. That. Is. Rediculous.

Chill dude, you're misunderstanding me. It just annoys me how rampant fan speculation so frequently passes as fact when it comes to Brawl. I hear people talking about the mechanics of "Super Smashes" as if they'd already played the final game. All we know for now is that there DID indeed seem to be some new kind of super-attack mechanic in the first trailer-- but to keep in mind that said trailer seems to have been largely pieced together for E3 and contains tons of non-gameplay footage. More notably-- they were absent from the newest trailer, which IS gameplay footage. This does not mean that they are out, and I am not suggesting this. I agree with you that it makes sense that they will appear in the game, but I just want people to know that nothing is for sure yet.

WastingPenguins said:
Chill dude, you're misunderstanding me. It just annoys me how rampant fan speculation so frequently passes as fact when it comes to Brawl. I hear people talking about the mechanics of "Super Smashes" as if they'd already played the final game. All we know for now is that there DID indeed seem to be some new kind of super-attack mechanic in the first trailer-- but to keep in mind that said trailer seems to have been largely pieced together for E3 and contains tons of non-gameplay footage. More notably-- they were absent from the newest trailer, which IS gameplay footage. This does not mean that they are out, and I am not suggesting this. I agree with you that it makes sense that they will appear in the game, but I just want people to know that nothing is for sure yet.

Ther thing is this is fanboy speculation. There's literally NO signs pointing to them not being in the game. We've seen them so why would he remove them?

Zeed

Banned
Alright, I think we have a fundimental difference in our logic that cannot be overcome with ten pages of enlightened discussion. So I'm going to stop trying to convince you that the existance of something cannot be reasonably doubted by its absence in one item of promotional material.

WastingPenguins said:
More notably-- they were absent from the newest trailer, which IS gameplay footage.
Since we're playing the "nitpick the sources" game here, I'd like to see where you're getting this from. When has Sakurai ever confirmed that that trailer was gameplay footage? I certainly never saw that interview.

Zyid said:
Since we're playing the "nitpick the sources" game here, I'd like to see where you're getting this from. When has Sakurai ever confirmed that that trailer was gameplay footage? I certainly never saw that interview.

:lol Fair enough. I meant the trailer resembles gameplay footage, unlike the first trailer, where only about 20 seconds could be mistaken for gameplay.

But I agree with you, those things'll probably be in the game!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom