• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm at a crossroad here. On the one hand, I want to go at SSE like Firestorm, and ignore the stickers relying soley on skillz. But on the other hand, the completionist in me wants to max-out all of the characters trophyy bases with the most awesomest sticker availabe.

Decisions, descisions...

psycho_snake said:
Thats quite a good idea. It gives you more incentive to play through the SSE with as many different characters because you might need to use a special ability which is unique to on character only to get a certain item in a level.

That's assuming that we can go back and play certain levels with any character. Until now, we've only seen character selection between two different characters depending on the level. I still like the idea of environment puzzles triggered by character-specific abilities, though.

psycho_snake said:
A grid might help, but I dont think it will make that much of a difference. You can rearrange the stickers you've already put on if you're having trouble fitting them on
Actually, I think once you've placed a sticker on the base, you've made a commitment.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Iam Canadian said:
While I'm on the subject of the Subspace Emissary, I find it intriguing how "generic" the map looks. I mean, I understand that Skyworld is in the sky, but I would have imagined that the Subspace Map would incorporate various Nintendo landmarks. Like, I don't see where New Pork City or Icicle Mountain would be. I don't see any islands that could be Yoshi's Island, or any castles that could be Hyrule Castle. Kongo Jungle is probably one of the forested areas, but I wonder how a Star Fox or Pikmin level would fit onto this map.

Unless we won't be visiting any Nintendo landmarks in the SSE at all...
I'm thinking that the locations pop-up on the map once you get to that point and they're taking screenshots without many up so that we will be surprised when a famous landmark shows up.

Keru_Shiri said:
Actually, I think once you've placed a sticker on the base, you've made a commitment.

From the Dojo:

Once you’re ready, apply all the stickers at once!

You can adjust the position of stickers until you choose to apply them, but you can’t place stickers on top of each other, so you’ll occasionally need to remove old stickers to make space for new ones.

Once you peel off a sticker you applied, you lose it for good! So take care when you lay down your stickers.

Stickers applied to a trophy base take on a gray tint.

Also, for some reason, you’re able to readjust the position of an applied sticker on its trophy base.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Keru_Shiri said:
You can rearrange on the base but if you choose to remove a sticker completely you lose it.

EDIT: Beaten

Baryn

Banned
Sucks the sticker attributes are only for The Subspace Emissary.

That mode better be 5-10 hours long, or so help me god! I will cancel my third pre-order!

Firestorm

5 - 10 hours? I think that's too long. I'm hoping for 2 - 4 hours max personally. Subspace Emissary is something I want to play through multiple times. For me, a standard game is 8 hours long. Portal-length is perfect for SSBB.

Scribble

felipeko said:
You didn't quote it all...

But then, you have:

Finally, remember that stickers are only of use within The Subspace Emissary

They cancel each other out. You may say the standard brawl thing has more priority because it's the latter sentence. But we'll see what happens.

Azuran

Banned
Baryn said:
Sucks the sticker attributes are only for The Subspace Emissary.

That mode better be 5-10 hours long, or so help me god! I will cancel my third pre-order!

5 hours is too long. I remember trying to unlock all of the Advance Wars: DS wallpapers and playing story mode for that. In the end I only manage to get half of them because beating story mode in that game takes a lot of time.

2 hours would be perfect. 3 would be pushing it.

Baryn

Banned
Azuran said:
5 hours is too long. I remember trying to unlock all of the Advance Wars: DS wallpapers and playing story mode for that. In the end I only manage to get half of them because beating story mode in that game takes a lot of time.

2 hours would be perfect. 3 would be pushing it.
See, that to me is disappointing. I don't want to be able to beat the story mode in one sitting.

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
farnham said:
according to famitsu you will need no more less then 240 hours to complete the single player adventure mode with all characters

I thought you were forced to play specific characters for the different parts of SSE?

Unless after you beat it it opens up an option to play through the mode with any character? Hmmm

OH... also, if that's the case... how do you think they came to the number "240"? Do you think they took the time it takes to complete the mode and... multiplied it by the number of characters in the roster? :D That means if it takes 6 hours to complete, there are 40 characters. ;)

Edit: DAMNZ, beaten by one minute!

mclem

HK-47 said:
Thats what I said. The U probably is the word unique. Yet a damper on the sticker being unique to an unrevealed AC character is that said character wouldnt have magic attacks.

"Unlockable"?

Firestorm

farnham said:
according to famitsu you will need no more less then 240 hours to complete the single player adventure mode with all characters

http://ruliweb2.empas.com/ruliboard...ext=%B4%EB%B3%AD%C5%F5&time=1209600&num=14201

120 characters confirmed!
I think they're just exaggerating.

Adventure Mode took 15 - 20 minutes to complete in Melee. 2 hours is really the sweetspotfor this game. I want to finish it in one sitting. Although come to think of it, you don't get to pick the character you go through with if I understand it right. So 5 hours wouldn't be too bad. I'm only going to go through it 4 or 5 times + to earn the trophies.

By the way, anyone still not done the trophies in Melee? I don't have Diskun or Coin Trophy. I'm missing 3 bonuses for Diskun: "KO a Paratroopa, KO a Koopa Troopa, and No Damage Cler". Coin Trophy requires 100 complete coin matches and I have like 12 or less.

Chumly

farnham said:

http://ruliweb2.empas.com/ruliboard...ext=%B4%EB%B3%AD%C5%F5&time=1209600&num=14201
Well it says it would take at LEAST 240 no matter what from what i understand so lets say if the single player is 4 hours long which means you rush through it without dieing even once that would be there would be 60 characters!!!! 5 hours 48 characters or 6 hours 40 characters.

Although i thought u didnt have a choice in your character and you played whoever you were supposed to as the story line went along.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I just realized how close is is to release and that some of the first things usually mentioned we don't even know yet. We have no confirmation of the starting roster or even a final character/stage count. I hope we get a legit character count soon, that will allow us to make some good, educated guesses about the roster.

Scribble

Firestorm said:
Although come to think of it, you don't get to pick the character you go through with if I understand it right. So 5 hours wouldn't be too bad.

Yep, you don't choose your character. So I don't know what they based the 240 hours on -- yeah, it's probably just a huge exaggeration. By "all characters" they probably mean alternate routes or whatever (i.e. saving Peach instead of Zelda)

farnham

Banned
oh ill just translate everything

·some figures will appear as assist trophies if you gain them

· A boss in Submissary is from the fire emblem series. He does not fight but he summons monsters.

· Boss rush mode after clearing Submissary.

· You will need 240 hours to clear submissary with every character available.

· Bowser, Dedede and Wario also appear as bosses in the submissary mode.. they are beeing mind controlled

· If you have a save data of ssbm you will get special trophies, BGM etc.

· same with super mario galaxy and some other wii games

Fireblend

Banned
Damn, 240 hours... I'd too expect to beat Subspace Emissary in a sitting; 3 hours would be pushing it... maybe I'm too used to beating the 1 player mode in Melee in 20 mins... but I surely expected a lot less than what it seems to be.

240 hours. I can't imagine the Subspace Emissary taking more than 3 hours, but if that's the case... 60 characters? :lol :lol maybe they're taking into account the fact that there's 2 characters per stage and we can reduce that number to a more believable 35 or so.

Or, they didn't figure out how to run.

Firestorm

Wait, this doesn't make sense... Doesn't subspace emissary force you to use the characters that parts of the story require? I thought you wouldn't be able to pick your character? You start off with Kirby or Mario, go with either Peach or Zelda, etc.

Unless they mean doing every possible combination of branches?

240 hours? Even if it's an exaggeration, holy shit. Either there's a beefy 1P mode, or there's a crap load of characters. I'm hoping for the latter, but I wouldn't mind the former.

Also, I wonder if there are sidequests in SSE?

Firestorm said:
Wait, this doesn't make sense... Doesn't subspace emissary force you to use the characters that parts of the story require? I thought you wouldn't be able to pick your character? You start off with Kirby or Mario, go with either Peach or Zelda, etc.

My guess would be that after you initially beat a level, you could revist it with another character. Perhaps they mean "playing through every level with every chararacter."

Either way, holy shit.

ezekial45

Banned
Firestorm said:

Perhaps the game branches off depending on what character you select are much deeper than expected. So far in the videos posted of the starting Subspace Emissary, Kirby starts it off and Mario is knocked away by Petey Pirahana. Something different might happen if you select Mario first.

Firestorm

Isn't Ruliweb stuff blogs for the most part? I honestly don't believe this news. Seems like the type of stuff we'd get off random GameFAQers/SmashBoarders/etc. I do know that we've gotten good stuff from Ruliweb before, but I'm not sure exactly how the site works. Sort of skeptical right now.

Minsc

Gold Member

I wonder if the content will be exclusive to having the save from ssbm, and whether it makes any difference the progress/time played on the save file.

I wouldn't mind subspace emissary being long, longer then one sitting. They wanted to flesh out the single player mode so if it wasn't long then it would be kind of disappointing.

Azuran

Banned
farnham said:

Perfect. This gives a reason to buy Wii games I haven't played yet.

Jiggy

I for one could see myself putting 150+ hours into Subspace Emissary if they eventually let you play with every character (after beating the game, for example). I've probably put about 30 into Kirby Super Star and that only had one character (albeit with 19 different movesets).

Jiggy37 said:
I for one could see myself putting 150+ hours into Subspace Emissary if they eventually let you play with every character (after beating the game, for example). I've probably put about 30 into Kirby Super Star and that only had one character (albeit with 19 different movesets).
As the top poster in this thread, I hereby challenge you to a bout of Smash Bros. Brawl when it comes out and is online in a stable way.

gauntletbig.jpg

farnham said:

Ugh I hate when games do this, in my opinion it's no different than Xbox 360 games where you have to pay to "download" features that were already on the disc to begin with. These extras better be something you can get without buying a bunch of old games.

Firestorm

BuddhaRockstar said:
Ugh I hate when games do this, in my opinion it's no different than Xbox 360 games where you have to pay to "download" features that were already on the disc to begin with. These extras better be something you can get without buying a bunch of old games.

Download the save file off gamefaqs or something, put it on an SD card, transfer it to Wii. Melee had the same requirement for a few trophies.

BuddhaRockstar said:
I love these type of extras. I look at it as Nintendo rewarding their loyal fans who have purchased SSBM and SMG.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom