• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jiggy

JCX9 said:
[on clones] It just seems like an easy way to add more fanservice without a lot of effort
Firestorm said:
[on clones] Takes less time to make for a great new moveset. I mean, I know a lot of people who played the clones in Melee that never really touched the character they were cloned from. Or vice versa.
100% agreement. Clones were awesome in Melee and I'm definitely hoping there are a good number of them in Brawl, even though for some reason a lot of people hate them. :( Even if they're obscure characters that would get most people cheesed off, I'll welcome the copycats...

Guled

Firestorm said:
I wish there were clones too. Takes less time to make for a great new moveset. I mean, I know a lot of people who played the clones in Melee that never really touched the character they were cloned from. Or vice versa.
I don't know. I'd rather have less but more different characteres then a bunch of clones (like DBZ). I can understand since this a fan service game, but the more clones there are, the more cheap it feels to me (just like DBZ games)

Firestorm

Guled said:
I don't know. I'd rather have less but more different characteres then a bunch of clones (like DBZ). I can understand since this a fan service game, but the more clones there are, the more cheap it feels to me (just like DBZ games)

DBZ is stupid cloning afaik. In SSBM, all the clones actually played really really differently.

Jiggy

The problem with Budokai Tenkaichi is that there are ~70 characters but really there are only 3 playing styles: small alien (Garlic Jr, Babidi), human-size character of some species or other (Tien, Piccolo), and big alien/robot (Great Apes, Hirudegarn). And within their categories, all the characters are ridiculously close to playing perfectly identically.

But in a game like Smash Bros. where there are already 27+ very unique playing styles (remember, Pokemon Trainer has three by himself), a few clones aren't going to hurt. Edit: And I mean that "clones" wouldn't hurt even if they were loads more clone-ish than the ones in SSBM.

TreIII

Guled said:

Now you see, if they were just going to be half-baked, lazy-ass clones, as was often the case with Melee's Clones, then I would have been right with you.

But to me, I would have hoped that if there were any clones, Sakurai would have seen to it that the clones were as different from each other as night is to day. As I've said often in this thread, I would have had little qualms with Ridley starting out as being based on Charizard's model, but had an entirely different set of B + A moves altogether, thus making it so that they were as far from being clones of each other as Kirby is to Purin/Jigglypuff.

Alas...but ah well. My slight qualms will surely die down, once I get this game, and everything will be forgotten. :D

TreIII said:
Now you see, if they were just going to be half-baked, lazy-ass clones, as was often the case with Melee's Clones, then I would have been right with you.

But to me, I would have hoped that if there were any clones, Sakurai would have seen to it that the clones were as different from each other as night is to day. As I've said often in this thread, I would have had little qualms with Ridley starting out as being based on Charizard's model, but had an entirely different set of B + A moves altogether, thus making it so that they were as far from being clones of each other as Kirby is to Purin/Jigglypuff.

Alas...but ah well. My slight qualms will surely die down, once I get this game, and everything will be forgotten. :D
Then in what way are they clones

Firestorm

ShockingAlberto said:
Then in what way are they clones

They wouldn't be >_>

I'd be fine with Ridley being based off Charizard's model with the same move animation (maybe recoloured or something) as long as he had different weight, floatiness, speed, and knockback/damage on his attacks.

Twig

Banned
TreIII said:
"half-baked"? "lazy-ass"?

You have poor taste.

Clones would have been glorious. Then Dr. Mario would still be in, but with a different Down+B. Giant needle filled with viruses, anyone? ;_;

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
I'm gonna lock the shit out of this thread in 10 seconds if you guys don't stop talking about these spoilers.

sp0rsk said:
I'm gonna lock the shit out of this thread in 10 seconds if you guys don't stop talking about these spoilers.

obama.jpg

Jiggy

I almost want to switch my prediction to "downloadable" content that's already in the game but will be periodically unlocked for a few months after release by logging on to Nintendo WFC, but I'll stick by Board the Platforms and Board the Platforms Creator for now. I'll make that other prediction some time, though.

Firestorm

I predict some new Pokemon update today to validate half the SSBB threads in the last week turning into Pokemon discussions.

lock averted?

sprsk

Seriously, all you guys talking about spoilers. What the fuck is wrong with you? Does shit go one ear and out the other with you people? I'm going to start laying hardcore bans on people. This is seriously just amazing how soon you people can forget things like this.

sprsk

There goes firestorm too.

I leave for one hour and you guys take your dicks out and play light saber fight. I guess I should start hiring a babysitter.

Guled

Since all the starting roster is in the dojo, I doubt that we get another character update until the game comes out. So I'm going for stage update

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Good gravy, this thread is getting scary to post in. I feel like I'm tiptoeing through a minefield here.

Jiggy, I think my favourite part of that little split-personality soliloquy is that you actually use Japanese suffixes during your mental breakdowns.

At any rate, in the interests of keeping this thread on topic and avoiding the wrath of sp0rsk, I'm going to go ahead and predict Zero Suit Samus' Final Smash, if only to inject this thread with some pessimism.

Formless

Could we have the other Smash thread back, or an official Smash (The game, not dojo) thread? Have mercy O Mighty sporsk!

Anyways, I think ZSS's final smash won't need its own update, if there is one there'll be a double one. It's on the list of ZSS's moves already.

sprsk

Iam Canadian said:
Good gravy, this thread is getting scary to post in. I feel like I'm tiptoeing through a minefield here.

Jiggy, I think my favourite part of that little split-personality soliloquy is that you actually use Japanese suffixes during your mental breakdowns.

At any rate, in the interests of keeping this thread on topic and avoiding the wrath of sp0rsk, I'm going to go ahead and predict Zero Suit Samus' Final Smash, if only to inject this thread with some pessimism.

All you have to do is not talk about the spoilers, it's not hard really.

brandnew: A week.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Formless said:
Anyways, I think ZSS's final smash won't need its own update, if there is one there'll be a double one. It's on the list of ZSS's moves already.

True, but Olimar's Final Smash was on his movelist before it got an update.

I do agree that it's likely that ZSS' Final Smash will come as part of a double update, but I still fully expect to see it eventually, if only for completion's sake.

TreIII

TheOneGuy said:
"half-baked"? "lazy-ass"?

You have poor taste.

Clones would have been glorious. Then Dr. Mario would still be in, but with a different Down+B. Giant needle filled with viruses, anyone? ;_;

Again, don't get it twisted. I have no problem with the notion of clones, just with how Melee handled the concept of them. I'm sorry, but that's how I feel.

Maybe it's because I've played a lot of other fighting games both before and after Smash DX/Melee, but the concept of how they were so fundamentally lazy with the clones in that game just ticked me off.

I mean, even in the likes of seasoned series like Samurai Spirits/Shodown and Guilty Gear, the notion of clones was done with in a relatively interesting mechanism. Robo Ky and Order Sol share like all of like a few move properties alike with their progenitors, but that's about it. Robot and HOS are basically entirely different characters that have little in common with their name sakes.

That's not so much the case in Melee, where the clones were basically like SF2: Champion Edition Ryu and Ken. A few different move property changes (where they share the same attacks, but have like one or two different properties for those attacks) and that's it. LAZY. And in a time when the world of fighting games had come so fundamentally far from SF2: CE, I was expecting much better.

...Any way, getting back on topic. Since we got a lot of good megatons over the last few weeks, I think we need a lil something to cool us off. I'll side with Canadian's assessment that we may get Zamus' Final tonight, at long last...as well as hopefully positive ID that we can actually select Zamus from the get-go...

sp0rsk said:
I'm pretty sure ZSS and Shiek's final smashes are the same as their normal counterparts.

Sheik's is. Zamus's, from what I heard, ain't.

I predict....some new mode/options.

Also, how come J-smasher's haven't created a thread yet?...Maybe not an official thread, but a thread nonetheless. It's almost out!!

Jiggy

I'd be honestly surprised if we got something lame. We've had a pretty great past four days (even though some people didn't care too much for the Tokyo/Kyoto match).

Edit:
Manaphy, the only truly excellent Poke Ball.
Mushroomy Kingdom, a superb stage.
The SMB1 theme in a great remix.
Two videos of online matches between Tokyo and Kyoto.
VC demos.

When I can honestly say that videos of online matches just might be the worst thing to come out of the last four days, I think I'm in good shape. :D

TreIII

OliveJuice said:
I predict....some new mode/options.

Also, how come J-smasher's haven't created a thread yet?...Maybe not an official thread, but a thread nonetheless. It's almost out!!

sp0rsk said that he and/or other J-gaffers will create the thread when they're good and ready. Can't wait...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom