• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fez (XBLA)|OT| If you have no interest in discussing the game, don't enter the thread

Rikkun

For the ones who can't check the QR code (IDK if there's only one)

the code is

RT RT LT RT LT LT LT RT

Gives you
an anticube

aku:jiki

I need a nudge in the right direction, or something, for these little puzzle rooms like the portrait and engine rooms I talked about on the other page. More are showing up as I keep going. Am I supposed to spin the room a certain way, can I interact with some object, what?

Okay, so this game is out, right?

There's nothing on the front page of the Marketplace to suggest that it is. It's all Skyrim, COD and Gears stuff.

But that's fine, so long as I go to new releases and it's there, right? Nope, Nothing.

What about the Arcade section? A game like this won't be as popular as the big hitters; it'll be in the Arcade section, where it can carve out a niche of its own, right? Nope, nothing.

... Demos? nope.

How about searching for it in games? Oh wait, there it is - right between Feeding Frenzy 2 and FIFA 09.

Thanks MS.

acm2000

Okay, so this game is out, right?

There's nothing on the front page of the Marketplace to suggest that it is. It's all Skyrim, COD and Gears stuff.

But that's fine, so long as I go to new releases and it's there, right? Nope, Nothing.

What about the Arcade section? A game like this won't be as popular as the big hitters; it'll be in the Arcade section, where it can carve out a niche of its own, right? Nope, nothing.

... Demos? nope.

How about searching for it in games? Oh wait, there it is - right between Feeding Frenzy 2 and FIFA 09.

Thanks MS.

this is the same with every new release, it takes time to be placed in the various ad spaces etc

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Just finally got home after my meeting, the game downloaded quick as hell, and finally the game I've been waiting so long for is finally here - Fez.

Dommel

I've played for about an hour and i like the game a lot but after 5 years in development I would've expected a bit more polish.

There's a lot of stuttering, even during the loading screen/rainbow cube. Zooming in to a background structure is also very jittery when you pass through a door.

I hope they will quickly fix this as it's quite distracting and takes you out of the experience.

Feep

Banned
I need a nudge in the right direction, or something, for these little puzzle rooms like the portrait and engine rooms I talked about on the other page. More are showing up as I keep going. Am I supposed to spin the room a certain way, can I interact with some object, what?
Don't worry about these rooms for now. You need to decipher other things first.

AEREC

Anyone else not get the box art with their download?

Ya it's not showing box art for me. I think it's just because it came out earlier than expected (I thought it was supposed to be released at 9am PST) and they havent updated their images yet.

Anyways played for a bit and loved it...I did not see any technical issues (360slim, 250GB HDD), even when it was autosaving.

Odrion

Banned
Man, the deeper you get into the game the cooler it gets.

This one anti-cube puzzle has the coolest use
of controller vibration ever

It's weird how much contrast there is between the mental passiveness of the normal cubes and how clever the anti-cube puzzles are.

I love the look of the game but every video review I see turns me off, would have preferred this be a straight platformer as opposed to a puzzle game

Zomba13

Downloading this now. My hype is maximum. Watched the GB QL and loved everything I saw. I'd still prefer to play this on PC but I can't see it being too different. Not gonna 'comfy couch' the game though like the creator wants as my consoles are next to my PC on my desk and hooked up to a HDTV the size of my desktop monitor.

90% Stupid slow internet.

Feep

Banned
Man, the deeper you get into the game the cooler it gets.

This one anti-cube puzzle has the coolest use
of controller vibration ever

It's weird how much contrast there is between the mental passiveness of the normal cubes and how clever the anti-cube puzzles are.
This is pretty much the basis of my entire review. :D

aku:jiki

Don't worry about these rooms for now. You need to decipher other things first.
Not sure how you can be on the internet without realizing that cryptic answers only frustrate people more, not less. If you mean that I need to understand "the alphabet" first, just say that.

Yes. You'll know when you get it right. Pro tip:
Imagine a 3x3 grid on top of the platform.
Actually...that's the opposite of the solution.
The key is that there ISN'T a 3x3 grid on there. That's why the "magnets" are different shades of pink - the brighter ones have more magnets behind them and that's where you want to line your blocks up.

Beaulieu

Somebody who has played it please explain:
What are the artifact cubes for? I see a stone pillar with some strange cube shapes on it, but I'm uncertain as to how I can use it, if at all (seen as it's "used for writing". Perhaps they are just collectibles?

yes, just for collectibles and achievements, dont worry.

Galdelico

Dunno if it's because I keep my HDD cache always clean, but that autosave-stuttering-thingy is less annoying than I thought: you can see the game hicks up, but nothing else.

Just moved my first steps in it, but so far I'm loving Fez: here and there it feels kind of buggy (I fell out of a room's border just by rotating the camera, finding myself behind an object and woooooooo, down to the abyss), but it's also so pretty and relaxing... It comes in handy after a couple of
Marie's
KO on Skullgirls. :p

Rikkun

LOOOL I lust passed the well.. fantastic.

The game feels a little too wide for my taste, I just wonder what's behind the door and get lost.

krYlon

Really enjoying this so far. It's a great game to just chill with and explore.

The Boards of Canada inspired soundtrack is amazing as is the sound design and general atmosphere.

But yeah, the frameskips when autosaving are annoying when in the midst of jump.

Really enjoying this so far. It's a great game to just chill with and explore.

The Boards of Canada inspired soundtrack is amazing as is the sound design and general atmosphere.

But yeah, the frameskips when autosaving are annoying when in the midst of jump.

Was any reason given why they dropped 6955? I really liked the Fez EP they released a while back.

Daigoro

just finished the demo. i like it!

the music and vibe are really great, pretty sure this is what's selling me the most. i like the rotating mechanics. graphics are cute. the performance leaves a bit to be desired unfortunately, kind of hurting the great atmosphere they got going. a bit stuttery during those cool cutscenes.

the thing im worried about most is if the game will drive me crazy with its puzzles. im not much of a puzzle game guy, and i get burnt out if the puzzles are too over complicated honestly. but i enjoyed all of the ones in the demo. they were fun to solve.

does it get stupid hard? i know ill never find all of the hidden shit without a guide, so im not worrying about that. but id like to be able to finish the game without one.

still debating a purchase, but it did a good job of getting me interested.

Decided to take a break once I started getting a bit lost and using the map.

Enjoying it very much. I feel a bit left out not being able to translate the foreign things.

I have to mention the load times, it's a sad little blemish on the presentaiton. It seems like there would be a simple solution to scaling a 2D image while you load... but somewhere when they switch in 3D it just starts loading. Main thing that holds it back really. The loads aren't even long, it's just a missed opportunity.

purchased, but I think i'll wait for patches to play. it's convenient because i'm already playing a bunch of other stuff and was gonna buy it regardless.

UraMallas

Why does this come out within the same 30-day period as Trials Evolution and Minecraft? I know I will buy those two but I don't know if I want to bite on a THIRD XBLA game. I'll try the demo tonight.

The world just keeps getting bigger. The game isn't hard, but exploring it could maybe be described as challenging.

Plus all the secrets in the world. I have no idea how to get any of them.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
For the first two secrets in the very first world according to the minimap, I've found that I can
go through the wall and walk out in both, and in fact, even fall outside the stage and die, but I've tried jumping up and nothing works - guess I'll come back to them later on then since I've tried them both and found nothing.

Almost 5 hours straight, I need to take a break. Absolutely adore the game as I always thought I would; I'm pleased. Some of the secrets though...

Marco1

Absolutely loving this but until the stutter is fixed I will be taking a break.
I really hope they're working on it because for me it really sours the experience. Can't believe they released it with the autosave stutter.

Lima

I just got the "achievement locked" anticube.

It just appeared. I didn't even do anything.

You unlocked the achievement. It is supposed to appear after you put in the code.

Anyone else with the problem that you can't unlock the full game? I downloaded the trial without any problem but I always get a stupid error code when trying to buy it. Ugh...

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Wow, I think I've found something interesting to go back to the first level, I kinda like that I'm not being held by my hand here like in so many other games today, and it feels great finding stuff on your own with zero help whatsoever.

Top Bottom