• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 |OT| Anyone can save the galaxy once - SPOILERS!

DeathyBoy

Banned
The Avengers have way more experience at the point they encounter Thanos compared to when they are against a Hydra Base

I don't know, if IW is set in present day that'll be four years of GOTG working solidly as a team rather than getting together for one-off stuff.

Litan

My point was more that The Avengers struggled with Loki and a bunch of generic soldiers, and a bunch of robots. The Guardians dealth with a dimension hopping eldrich abomination OFF-SCREEN in the opening of GOTG 2, while Baby Groot danced. The film practically screamed 'don't sweat it, they've got this' at us.

Avengers took longer taking down a Hydra base in comparison.
Power levels don't matter. Other-wise might as well have every hero just be Vision/Thor/Hulk powerful as a baseline.
I mean, the same team on these movies just did Civil War, so I don't see that as a concern.

I just did a re-read of Abnett and Lannings' cosmic event stories and that has the Guardians knee-deep in every war despite the fact that more than half their team is underpowered compared to everyone else.

I saw this today and loved it. I don't care if the audience didn't laugh as much as me (early session so lots of families with young kids (a fair few toddlers just wandering around the cinema, too) but they weren't too irritating, but I did feel the body count was not something I'd want a 4-5 year old to see.

Funny and fun. I would probably say the best MCU film to date. Certainly the best sequel (for me)
Listening to the OST now. Loved that final track 'Guardians Inferno.'

Sadist

My point was more that The Avengers struggled with Loki and a bunch of generic soldiers, and a bunch of robots. The Guardians dealth with a dimension hopping eldrich abomination OFF-SCREEN in the opening of GOTG 2, while Baby Groot danced. The film practically screamed 'don't sweat it, they've got this' at us.

Avengers took longer taking down a Hydra base in comparison.
Nah man, The Guardians struggled too; I mean while Groot is dancing you see Draxx, Star Lord and Rocket getting pummeled (Gamora being the exception) by this beast.They barely beat Ronan. In all honesty, the Guardians and Avengers are alike; they beat their enemies with a dash of luck, a strategy that somehow works and at the end of the day they're happy to be alive.

genkigenki

Neo Member
Ego does the things that he does because he lacks the basic empathy for mortal beings in the first place. The foundation of his entire plan is born from an inherent view that all life outside his own is lesser and not worthy of consideration. That coupled with the fact that as a Celestial he doesn't view relationships within the same paradigm as mortals, let alone on Human terms.

That is why he kills Peter's mother, not because he believes he has no choice, but because as an immortal being he believes that it is within his rights to make that choice for lesser beings. So don't mistake the honeyed words he may have told Peter about his mother as evidence for sincere affection when his actions tell us otherwise. The fact that, as you say, he could have lived with her until death, but chooses instead to give her a terminal illness rather than dealing with the hassle of a committed relationship in spite of his immortality is why he is a monster removed from humanity.

It's not a plot hole. It's choice informed from his character.

Killing the mother and telling Peter about it is a very stupid move, not unempathic, not monstruous, but stupid. There was no need. He could have simply removed his human form and forget about love. Or take her to his planet. It's a nice way of incorporating plot from the first movie but a little bit clumsy.

Also, that Ego's core is a big human brain makes no fucking sense.

Anyway, I liked the movie a lot! I don't really care about that stuff. I'm in for the laughs and shit. Also loved the Yondu story.

Ithil

If he is so far removed from humanity why does he bother to kill quill's mother? Why does he fall in love? That's a very human thing to do. Also, if Quill is the first child with celestial powers, and Ego is so invested in his plan, he should be more cautious before telling him that he killed his fucking mom.

To put it simple: if he is so inhuman, why does he fall in love? Why does he have to kill her? And if he is in part human, why doesn't he lives with her until she dies and why he doesn't keeps the killing of the mother a secret? Either way there are inconsistencies in Ego's behaviour.

You could say, well, celestials are inconsistent, and I will be all right with that because I wasn't looking for a great solid plot, just action and laughs and it delivered. And I think that the plot is very good, only weak point for me is the killing of Peter's mother.

In his human form he was falling in love with her, and he thought that if he went back to see her again he might never leave (and his human form isn't immortal, it has to return to the Ego planet or it ages). Because he's detached from human emotions, he viewed his falling in love as an inconvenience to his bigger plan and had to get rid of her.

Gilzor

Sorry if it's been answered, but anybody know the song or piece of music that was playing when we first catch up with Yondu? I loved whatever that was.

Ashtrax

Just got back from an IMAX screening and enjoyed it. I think the first is still the better film, more tightly paced, but the emotional punches volume 2 threw were on the mark. And the fin sequence was hilarious!

One question I had though was what did Mantis want to say to Drax before Gamora interrupted them? Was it just in regards to Ego?

Ashtrax

Cheers. I figured as much, but I thought it was a little jarring coming off the empathic connection the two had, and then not really coming back to it later (Obviously when she panics, it does).

Renpatsu

Killing the mother and telling Peter about it is a very stupid move, not unempathic, not monstruous, but stupid.
It's a stupid movie when viewed from an audience perspective knowing how these hero/villain scenarios break down. You're correct in that there are all manner of alternative choices that Ego could have made to avoid his ultimate demise, but what I'm saying is that from what we understand of his character traits and personality it's incredibly unlikely that he would have made any decision that benefited anyone but himself.

Gilzor

Yeah, it's not on there unfortunately. It sounded very modern in comparison to the rest. I might just have to spam Gunn on twitter in the hope that he notices me!

Hagi

Man this was very good i enjoyed it a lot more than the first and i love that film. Built upon the foundations very well while upping the stakes and giving some more character development. I need to sit on it a bit but i can easily see this being my favourite of all the MCU films.

Movie was fine. Had some great character moments and at times great visuals but it was also a complete bore plotwise.
They fucked up in the concept stage with choosing that particular storyline and there was little they could have done to make it interesting.

Also why do they go kill the best character.

Kirk from Gilmore Girls was awesome but drack was completely pointless to the movie's plot. He just was there for comedic relief, which he absolutely delivered on.

Also somehow Rocket was supposed to have learned a lesson but Peter who made some of the very same mistakes acknowledged that but didn't learn the same lesson at all.

What are you thinking of? First thing that comes into my mind is the relationship between Peter and Gamorra, Drax about to find some peace, Grot growing up again and Nebula coming together with her sister.

Yeah, all those things. The thematic of family. Letting go. Dealing with grief and other negative emotions. Really nice. I wonder who the villain for the third installment will be? I really need to brush up on my cosmic Marvel before then.

Man, I think Yondu tops my favourite characters in the MCU. Really crazy how Gunn was able to give a side character such depth over a single film.

Glass Rebel

Killing the mother and telling Peter about it is a very stupid move, not unempathic, not monstruous, but stupid. There was no need. He could have simply removed his human form and forget about love. Or take her to his planet. It's a nice way of incorporating plot from the first movie but a little bit clumsy.

Nah, Ego repeatedly uses the song Brandy to drive home that he and Peter cannot be tied down by mortals like Pete's mom or Gamora. In Ego's mind, after giving Pete the vision of Eternity, he's pulled him to his side. I mean, sure, call it "stupid" but it's totally in-character for the conceited and self-absorbed Ego.

Symphonia

Banned
The scene where Ego reveals he killed Starlord's mother was just brilliant. You could feel nothing but rage coming from Pratt. A very, very well-acted scene in a totally brilliant film.

Gilzor

Iirc it was Southern Lights

Just had a listen, and it doesn't sound like it I'm afraid. It sounded very modern, very electro - almost a bit J-Pop to be honest. Guess I'm not surprised to not see it on the official soundtrack, which is still a shame.

Hagi

I was really surprised by all the nice easter eggs and cameos with the standout being the Watchers. Totally caught me off guard seeing them especially talking to fucking Stan Lee lol Was really cool seeing Jeff Goldblum dancing during the credits as well. Hopefully the gang gets a cameo in Ragnarok even if its just them in the crowd during the Colosseum fight.

ezekial45

Banned
I came back from the bathroom when they revealed Ego was responsible for Quill's mother's cancer.

I think I missed why he did, because I was really confused to learn why he intentionally gave her cancer. Did they explain that?

DeviantBoi

I came back from the bathroom when they revealed Ego was responsible for Quill's mother's cancer.

I think I missed why he did, because I was really confused to learn why he intentionally gave her cancer. Did they explain that?
I don't think it's explained.

He does say that he kept going back to Earth for her and he might have stayed if he went back one more time. Maybe that's why he killed her?

komplanen

Saw this on Wednesday and loved it. Laughed a bunch and so did other people in the audience. And since I'm from Finland I think even a little laughter means a lot :-3

Sadist

I missed the Grandmaster dancing. Hasslehoff saying "We are Groot" was great though.

It came down to Ego actually liking Meredith; he went back several times and told Peter that if he went back for a fourth time he wouldn't be able to leave her anymore. Because he needs to return to the core of his planet to keep his immortality and a means to change the universe, he thought that killing of Meredth would be the most logical thing to do to keep him focussed on his task.

Peter's Mother was a distraction from Ego's ultimate purpose so he killed her (and this would allow Peter to leave Earth and go to Ego). That thought process was actually quite scary and was a good way to show how dangerous he was, he would kill someone he genuinely loved because it might get in the way of his purpose.

I tried to read most of the posts in this thread, skipped a few but didn't see any mention of them showing Cosmo in the credits roll!!

They can now introduce him since we have Mantis to speak for him!

(Oh yeah, movie was great!)

I just realized that Quill can now understand what Groot is saying in the credits when he's talking with Teen Groot.

I think previously only Rocket can understand what Groot is saying.

Also, this film just make me realize that Groot in the first movie is really dead. The new Groot is more like his son rather than the old Groot surviving the first movie. That kinda sad. Because I love og groot jn the first movie.

Also, that Ego's core is a big human brain makes no fucking sense.

Anyway, I liked the movie a lot! I don't really care about that stuff. I'm in for the laughs and shit. Also loved the Yondu story.

As a God who has just made Peter a God, he saw it as inconsequential. He thought Peter had bought in at that point.

Bishop89

The scene where Ego reveals he killed Starlord's mother was just brilliant. You could feel nothing but rage coming from Pratt. A very, very well-acted scene in a totally brilliant film.

yeh that scene was great.

Anyone got a video of it? Want to see it again :D

DeathyBoy

Banned
I just realized that Quill can now understand what Groot is saying in the credits when he's talking with Teen Groot.

I think previously only Rocket can understand what Groot is saying.

Also, this film just make me realize that Groot in the first movie is really dead. The new Groot is more like his son rather than the old Groot surviving the first movie. That kinda sad. Because I love og groot jn the first movie.

I wonder how IW will handle that. Teen Groot seems to be Gunn's thing, and I don't trust anyone else to get that right.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I wonder how IW will handle that. Teen Groot seems to be Gunn's thing, and I don't trust anyone else to get that right.

what's the timeline supposed to be like between GotG, GotG2, and IW?

Teen Groot in the credits may simply be a way to illustrate 'hey he's growing up, here is a funny clip' which allows them to segue into grown up Groot back in time for IW?

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member

what's the timeline supposed to be like between GotG, GotG2, and IW?

Teen Groot in the credits may simply be a way to illustrate 'hey he's growing up, here is a funny clip' which allows them to segue into grown up Groot back in time for IW?

GotG 2 is set 2 months after the first one and it is set in 2014, so 4 years before Infinity War. He'll be fully grown.

Renpatsu

Usually the directors of other characters are around to give some creative guidance for how those characters should behave and speak. That was the case with Jon Watts when Spider-Man was being introduced in Civil War.
Speaking to Comic Book, Russo claimed that he and his brother Joe had been working closely with Homecoming director, Jon Watts, in developing the character as both an individual entity and as part of the larger MCU:

“From a process standpoint, it’s like it is with all other Marvel directors, everybody runs into each other in the hallways, we’re passing off story information between each other. I don’t necessarily know how much it influenced me yet because we’re not involved in it on a day-to-day project, a process, and we’ve seen as much as everybody else has seen, meaning if you were at Comic-Con and you saw the Comic-Con trailer, that’s what we’ve seen of it.”
Because these characters are going to pop up in various films with different directors there is a level of collaboration that has to occur for that to work otherwise you'll run the risk of characters being tonally inconsistent (which is kind of the case with comics anyway, but I guess in live action that would be extra jarring).

Making the characters seem tonally consistent is something not even the comics can get right at times, so I'm glad Marvel is taking steps to avoid it. The Guardians' banter and interchanges with each other are a big part of their appeal, and I have faith in the Russos, but it's good they're getting Gunn's advice too.

And Teen Groot seems like a shtick that could wear off quicker than Baby Groot, don't mind that being relegated to a post-credits scene.

Watched the movie on the weekend and it was a decent film but i massively preferred the first one.

I love the characters in general and Baby Groot cracked me up and Yondo was really good in this as well. Ego is probably the 1st half decent villain to appear in the MCU outside of Loki and hope he returns.

What i didn't like was the non stop forced humour, which started good then after half way through the film i barely reacted to it coz it just never stopped and you got humour at the most awkward times as well.

Drax's over the top laugh at every chance he got was dull after awhile and they never explored much of the universe, everything happened on 2 planets which was a let down as well.

Ego was good but i agree with what others have said about some of what he said didn't make sense.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Watched the movie on the weekend and it was a decent film but i massively preferred the first one.

I love the characters in general and Baby Groot cracked me up and Yondo was really good in this as well. Ego is probably the 1st half decent villain to appear in the MCU outside of Loki and hope he returns.

What i didn't like was the non stop forced humour, which started good then after half way through the film i barely reacted to it coz it just never stopped and you got humour at the most awkward times as well.

Drax's over the top laugh at every chance he got was dull after awhile and they never explored much of the universe, everything happened on 2 planets which was a let down as well.

Ego was good but i agree with what others have said about some of what he said didn't make sense.

We got new planets, more Ravager factions, The Sovereign, The Watchers.

Top Bottom